Which video scaler chip to buy? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-28-2008, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I am putting together a media room in my basement. I am in drywall finishing now. I will have a sony projector-hopefully the new vw70. I am trying to figure out which av receiver to purchase. I will go either Onkyo or Integra. What I am trying to figure out is this:

I will have a cable box-HDMI, Sony Blu-ray-HDMI and a Linksys 2100 media extender-HDMI. For example the new Integra 7.9 has everything I need and want. It has the Faroujda chip. The Integra 8.8 has the more expensive Silicon Optix Reon HQV chip-it costs $1000 more.
Will the video processors upscale all inputs to 1080P including the HDMI? I will be watching many movies on the extender, they are dvd rips in 720P res. Is the extra $1000 for the Integra 8.8 really worth it?? Or should I save the $1000 and consider an external scaler down the road? Or can I just rely on the projector for this? I would really like to keep it all in the av receiver for the video switching to my projector.
I have been trying to decide for months now what to do. I would appreciate any help!!
Thanks

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-28-2008, 09:34 PM
Advanced Member

The Onkyo TX-SR875 has the Reon and can be had for under $1000 now if you search around

-
If you havent listened to it yet can you really say its not better?
post #3 of 7 Old 08-29-2008, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-smith View Post

The Onkyo TX-SR875 has the Reon and can be had for under $1000 now if you search around

Don't bother. Its Reon implementation is an insult to the HQV brand, as most AVR upscaling setups are. Faroudja is nothing special, either.

If you're not happy with your display's video processing performance, the only way to go is with an external VP, or with ALL sources that do a good job (like the Oppo 983), or with an Anthem unit. All other receivers/preamps are crap in video processing performance. Edit: Or getting a display that does a good job is also an option.

"Vintage" is good for wine, not for A/V equipment.

-Dan D.
post #4 of 7 Old 08-29-2008, 07:43 AM
T2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-smith View Post

Rather check its topic first - Onkyo botched the implementation and never manged to fix it.

Lookie here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1060798
post #5 of 7 Old 08-31-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonoMan View Post

Don't bother. Its Reon implementation is an insult to the HQV brand, as most AVR upscaling setups are. Faroudja is nothing special, either.

If you're not happy with your display's video processing performance, the only way to go is with an external VP, or with ALL sources that do a good job (like the Oppo 983), or with an Anthem unit. All other receivers/preamps are crap in video processing performance. Edit: Or getting a display that does a good job is also an option.

I recently bought a LCD flat panel that has the Silicon Optix Realta HQV (finally took the leap into the world of HD) and I'd like to actually USE that VP as you suggested above, especially for my SD DVDs.

Assuming I can find an inexpensive Blu-Ray player that will allow me to disable it's [presumably lousy] internal upscaling/de-interlacing and pass a 480i signal over HDMI (I'd like to avoid D/A conversions) directly to the TV, I'd be all set. BUT, I'll also be buying a new AV receiver to take advantage of the newer audio formats available on Blu-ray.

To get the newer, bandwidth-hungry audio streams to the receiver, I'll need to connect via HDMI to the receiver, not the TV. ...And it seems like almost all of the decent 7.1 receivers on the market now include their own VP instead of just acting as a switch and passing the signal through like earlier receivers did.

...So here's my question: If an AV receiver (or the blu-ray player itself, for that matter) insists on doing some video processing on the signal, will the Realta chip in my TV be able to reprocess the video at all by the time it reaches the TV. Or do I need to find a way to disable all downstream video processing so the TV receives the original 480i DVD content and the HQV chip can do its magic?

Thanks!
post #6 of 7 Old 08-31-2008, 11:20 PM
T2k

Olevia or Vizio?

Don't worry, if you output 480i (the SD DVD's native resolution) then most player will output it unmolested and your TV's Realta can take care of it.

However the "cheap" BD player sounds like an oxymoron to me...

PS: just bought a combo HD DVD/BD LG HB200 and it's dirt cheap for $300 and its features (multiregion/region-free DVD playback, PAL DVD playback, multiregion BD playback etc.)
post #7 of 7 Old 09-01-2008, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2k View Post

Olevia or Vizio?

Don't worry, if you output 480i (the SD DVD's native resolution) then most player will output it unmolested and your TV's Realta can take care of it.

Same thing for the VPs in newer receivers? Just about everything I see touts "1080p upscaling" as a feature. If the receiver does this, and the signal is already at 1080p by the time it hits the TV, will the TV's HQV chip be able to do any "retroactive" processing on the video stream?

I haven't really dug into the options on the newer AV receivers as of yet. If it's possible to disable the upscaling feature within the receiver and just do a pass-thru of the signal, I guess this is a non-issue.

Oh, BTW - it is indeed the Olevia 265TFHD.
Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page