Superimpose two HDMI inputs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-03-2009, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

Situation: HDMI source (STB, PS3, ...) --> HDMI output (TV)

I'm looking for a way to superimpose a computer generated (that is, another DVI/HDMI source) image onto the existing video, using chroma key techniques or picture in picture.

Possible uses are:
* while watching a DVD, display small video feed from security cam (triggered by motion) in the corner of your screen (Picture in Picture)
* while switching channels, briefly present TV programme information on the lower half of the screen; or maybe lookup IMDB info and show it.
* superimpose closed captioning

I'm unable to find any device that will allow me to do this, other than non-HD equipment or really expensive chroma key SDI equipment.

Does any such device exist?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-03-2009, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Something I've been looking for since ages now - without any success. If you find something, please let us know. I've tried to look into some software-based solutions. Using a HDMI capture device with fullscreen preview and then have a software overlay the desired graphics, but again no success so far.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-03-2009, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 252
www.extron.com makes some devices that can do this called "seamless graphics swicthers" but they aren't cheap. They are designed for mega graphics presentations like the GM share holders meeeting or use in concerts.

In video, lets stay analog for the moment, it is not even a simple matter. The two signals must be in sync in oder to mix them. In otherwords, they must both be in the same time space. In the old analog days this required the devices to be locked to a commen clock or reference. Now days they can be aligned in digital frame buffers.

On top of this with HDMI we get into the hardware copy protection issues which makes this just about impossible to do with protected material.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #4 of 4 Old 05-04-2009, 03:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If money is no object, the Crystalio II VPS3300/VPS3800 supports 2 Inputs (analog or digital or both) PinP/PbyP in almost whatever mix and match style. You can zoom/shrink/move and set transparency of both sources in any way you like!

regards,

Li On

www.pixelmagicsystems.com
Reply Video Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page