Best comb filter EVER? C2? Holo? Entech? Put on your gloves! - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 198 Old 12-29-2012, 02:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudoh View Post

Unfortunately the LX70's HDMI output is HDCP protected at all times. Still the component output has great quality and allows me to feed the signal into an analogue Algolith Mosquito.

Fudoh, why the HDCP protection is relevant when you want to output to HDMI an originally analog signal? I assumed that a DVR would digitize and then encrypt the digital signal specifically for outputting it to an HDCP compatible device.

Also do you have an idea if there is a considerable difference between LX60/61 and LX70 in terms of composite>component or composite>hdmi PQ? I have spent hours searching and the only difference besides the disk size that I found was in the *video* DAC width (12bit vs 14bit). And I have no idea where the video DAC width is important (as opposed to ADC). Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 198 Old 12-29-2012, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
HDCP is not relevant and it's not required by any means, BUT the Pioneer encrypts it's HDMI signal output, no matter what the source is, so you can't use the HDMI output for capturing without further hardware.

I don't know if there's any visible difference between the LX70 and LX60/61, sorry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #183 of 198 Old 01-03-2013, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Poineer and other manufactures often exceed the HDCP requirements. It's either a cost issue, or just playing it safe. For example my Pioneer BluRay shuts off the composite and Svideo with using HDMI. Why? HDCP allows SD resolution on analog outputs at any time. Most people would not care but I use the composite and Svideo outputs for monitoring and to feed the video window on my audio analysis software. They should not be disabled under HDCP but the manufacture is free to do so if they wish.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #184 of 198 Old 01-15-2013, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uderman View Post

hey balboarules

I remember seeing a pioneer dvd-r machine at your place when I stopped by to pick up the C2. You said you didnt like the picture.

I agree with your results. C2 brings my LD picture near DVD. I have 2 squeezed LDs, those match DVD resolution. C2 is an amazing machine. If only it had HDMI 1.3, it would still rule the VP market.

I have tried the entech, dvdo vp30 abt102, faroudja nrs, 3d cf in my pioneer plasma, C2 was better than those by margin. Pio plasma was good but deinterlacing was poor.Also tried analog devices design 3d cf in my yamaha and denon receivers.

btw balboarules knows what he is talking. I have personaly seen him test all of those equipment

I have the CII but am unhappy with the results. Care to share your settings as I think I am doing something wrong.

DON'T feed the troll.
post #185 of 198 Old 01-15-2013, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

post #186 of 198 Old 01-15-2013, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Any idea what the comb filter/vp chip is in the LX70? I've been unable to find an LX70 so I am looking to see if other pioneer models might share the same chipset.

DON'T feed the troll.
post #187 of 198 Old 01-25-2013, 03:39 PM

There are several adjustments on the Crystalio.. I wish I could remember the settings, but with not having the unit any longer, I do not remember. Knowing me though, I will probably buy another one, as I just got another laserdisc player from craigslist.. 40.00 for a CLD-79 with remote.. just could not turn it down.. already thinking I want to find another CLD-97 though.
post #188 of 198 Old 01-28-2013, 01:02 PM

Another crystalio is on it's way.....I knew it!
post #189 of 198 Old 02-12-2013, 02:19 AM

Does anybody know if Entech is an analog or a digital comb filer?
post #190 of 198 Old 02-12-2013, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am pretty sure its a 2D digital comb filter.
post #191 of 198 Old 02-15-2013, 04:51 PM

Me too...i had it and got rid of it quickly!
post #192 of 198 Old 02-15-2013, 04:52 PM

Dok....send me a pm..maybe i can help with the settings
post #193 of 198 Old 02-26-2013, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
this idea just came to me

Pioneer CLD-97 or LD-S2 or HLD-X0 composite out ->

composite in -> Crystalio II = adjust Chroma trap filter, Dotcrowl, 3D Y/C spiltter , Y/C delay settings to best possible = disable de-interlacing and scaling, noise reduction -> 480i HDMI out

HDMI in -> Algolith mosquito HDMI = use DNR(instead of MNR), adjust 3D(motion) and 2D(still) settings to the best -> 480i HDMI out

HDMI in -> Lumagen Radiance = de-interlace and upscale to 1080p24fps
post #194 of 198 Old 02-26-2013, 10:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by uderman View Post

HDMI in -> Algolith mosquito HDMI = use DNR(instead of MNR), adjust 3D(motion) and 2D(still) settings to the best -> 480i HDMI out

The type of digital noise that the Mosquito and similar digital NR filters are programmed to detect and filter is very different from the analog noise you'll get from a Laserdisc. In my experience, modern NR filters don't have much affect on LD. They look for pixelation, and don't do anything if they don't see blocking or hard pixel edges.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Curator,

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #195 of 198 Old 02-26-2013, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

@Josh: The Mosqito can be switched between digital Mosquite noise detection and a classic analog noise detection (called Dynamic NR by Algolith). It works very nice.

@uderman: The CII can't output 480i. 480p is the minimum. You might try to use forced 2:2 deinterlacing on the Faroudja though and have a DVDO or Radiance reinterlace the picture. A forced 2:2 deinterlacing in just a simple weave, so it should not affect the 2nd processor's performance.

post #196 of 198 Old 02-26-2013, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

The type of digital noise that the Mosquito and similar digital NR filters are programmed to detect and filter is very different from the analog noise you'll get from a Laserdisc. In my experience, modern NR filters don't have much affect on LD. They look for pixelation, and don't do anything if they don't see blocking or hard pixel edges.

The Flea can deal with analog noise--their test dvd even showcases it...
post #197 of 198 Old 04-11-2013, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudoh View Post

Pictures.

From to top to bottom all the 3D Y/C settings of the Pioneer DVR (Video Essentials):

Toy Story - from top to bottom

- X0 S-Video

- X9 S-Video

- X9 Composite -> Pioneer -> Moquito

The Mosquito's settings for the last capture:

Toy Story Clip: http://www.sendspace.com/file/3cmgv9

(X9, Composite, Pioneer DVR, Mosquito, IVTC filter, h.264 encoding, 45mb)

So, yes the X0 is a tiny bit better with it's magic comb filter, but the X9 is pretty close this way

PS: the differences in saturation are caused by me playing with the 0 / 7.5ire settings. I'm still not sure if it's better to have the LD player remove the brightness offset, to have the capture card do it or to leave the +7.5ire in the picture and adjust it afterwards. Any ideas on that ?

The verical stripe texture on the box in the image through the Pioneer /Mosquito capture have almost completely disappeared. So it is losing quite a bit of detail compared to the X0.

DON'T feed the troll.
post #198 of 198 Old 04-11-2013, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

necro-bump ??

Yeah, but that's the Mosquito's fault, not that of the Pioneer's comb filter. I can't remember the Mosquito settings used for this - might have been a little too aggressive.

Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page