New HQV Vida Chipset! - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 39 Old 12-26-2009, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Cool. Can't wait to see where it turns up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 01-02-2010, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Does anyone have any advance CES info of where the Vida will show up in an AVR?

Kemper Holt
post #33 of 39 Old 01-06-2010, 11:54 AM
jrp
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 217
First let me say that I am actually looking at whether this chip might make sense for Lumagen to consider. It does have some nice features.

However, I would like to point out that "3D color space conversion" and "6-axis color control" is not the way to do CMS.

ANY color conversion is "3D." This applies to YCrCr to/from RGB as much as YCbCr to xvYCC. This does not mean they have a 3D palette like the one we use in the Radiance, and in fact their claim of "6-axis-color-control" pretty much tells me they do not.

I believe the only correct way to do CMS is with a linear-gamma RGB color cube palette, and definitely not "6 axis color control." While the 6-axis color can help some, it is the wrong color space. We looked at 6-axis color for our CMS and immediately dropped it once we looked at the math. This has been confirmed to me by calibrators who have tried to use 6-axis-color-control systems to do CMS. They note that while some improvement can be made, the 6-axis approach fails in two regards:

- It is not the right way to adjust color. You need control of R, G, and B to adjust primaries and secondaries, but 6-axis-color-control gives you color and hue.

- It does not keep the primaries correct over intensity changes.

To illustate this, consider a ball and a cube. Walking a "straight line" on the ball is not the same as a "straight line" on the cube. While this is not a perfect analogy, the 6-axis-color-control is the ball and you want a cube (aka RGB).

Still the IDT chip looks interesting. I hope they have overcome some of the issues which caused us to switch from its predecessor "Realta" chip to the "VXP GF9450."

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
post #34 of 39 Old 01-06-2010, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp View Post

Still the IDT chip looks interesting. I hope they have overcome some of the issues which caused us to switch from its predecessor "Realta" chip to the "VXP GF9450."

I would love to hear in a nutshell what those issues were.

As I'm sure you know, IDT doesn't have Realta (Geo does) but they do own Reon and the HQV logo. I assume you were analogizing Vida to Realta due to the more similar feature set in Realta.
post #35 of 39 Old 01-06-2010, 05:44 PM
jrp
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 217
I wasn't aware that IDT only had Reon. The Reon is a subset of Realta, and as I recall had most of the Realta features. We specifically were considering the Realta verses the VXP GF9450 and that is why I referenced it.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
post #36 of 39 Old 01-06-2010, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Realta and Geo Semiconductor:
http://www.pr-inside.com/geo-semicon...s-r1315698.htm

Reon, HQV logo, and IDT:
http://www.idt.com/?id=5182
post #37 of 39 Old 10-25-2011, 12:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post

This seems to say that the chip will include the processing necessary for any manufacturer to easily implement a full-featured CMS.

"The latest offering from IDT HQV also features 14-bit internal processing and 12-bit output for deep color processing and 3D gamut conversion for xvYCC processing. These capabilities provide accurate conversion of regular and wide gamut content to the display's native gamut. In addition, The VHD1900 features six axis color control, with independent adjustment of any color's hue, saturation and intensity."

Do I understand you correct ? - If I get ths 5509 and use it with the new JVC X30 which do not have a CMS, I will have CMS controls???
post #38 of 39 Old 10-25-2011, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
If you get a Lumagen Radiance video processor, you can use the CMS controls in the video processor to calibrate your projector.

Randy
post #39 of 39 Old 10-25-2011, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmonkey View Post

Do I understand you correct ? - If I get ths 5509 and use it with the new JVC X30 which do not have a CMS, I will have CMS controls???

You are referring to the Onkyo receiver, I assume. If so, then no. All it provides is 2-point grayscale, color temp and gamma presets. No CMS at all.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page