New HQV Vida Chipset! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 39 Old 07-22-2009, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
New "Auto HQV" and "HQV StreamClean" features. You can read more about it on my blog at www.videovantage.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 07-22-2009, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
The press release it is found here.

"The result transforms standard-definition sources to HD quality and makes HD look even more detailed."

I have a feeling their definition of HD quality differs from mine...
post #3 of 39 Old 07-22-2009, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 209
This seems to say that the chip will include the processing necessary for any manufacturer to easily implement a full-featured CMS.

"The latest offering from IDT HQV also features 14-bit internal processing and 12-bit output for deep color processing and 3D gamut conversion for xvYCC processing. These capabilities provide accurate conversion of regular and wide gamut content to the display's native gamut. In addition, The VHD1900 features six axis color control, with independent adjustment of any color's hue, saturation and intensity."

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #4 of 39 Old 07-22-2009, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post

This seems to say that the chip will include the processing necessary for any manufacturer to easily implement a full-featured CMS.

"The latest offering from IDT HQV also features 14-bit internal processing and 12-bit output for deep color processing and 3D gamut conversion for xvYCC processing. These capabilities provide accurate conversion of regular and wide gamut content to the display's native gamut. In addition, The VHD1900 features six axis color control, with independent adjustment of any color's hue, saturation and intensity."

Yeah I noticed that as well. Imagine if the day comes when the majority of display devices has a CMS and the manufacterers offer a color accurate preset...
post #5 of 39 Old 07-23-2009, 06:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 10
Interesting find Mark. Thanks for the link! Hopefully we'll see some demo stuff at Cedia.
post #6 of 39 Old 07-23-2009, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Thanks Jason, yes it will be interesting to demo video from this chip and see if it offers real performance gains. At the very least it's good to see that IDT is continuing to improve the HQV architecture and the acquisition of Silicon Optics wasn't just for short term sales. This will put the heat back on Sigma Designs now (VXP). A win-win for consumers.
post #7 of 39 Old 07-23-2009, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark petersen View Post

at the very least it's good to see that idt is continuing to improve the hqv architecture and the acquisition of silicon optics wasn't just for short term sales. This will put the heat back on sigma designs now (vxp). A win-win for consumers.

+1

post #8 of 39 Old 07-23-2009, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

This also makes one wonder where the set top video processor business is going. If a company like IDT is offering quality de-interlacing, transcoding, format conversion, scaling, detail enhance, sharpen, denoise and apparently now CMS, what does a VP manufacturer add to the equation other than a PCB and power supply?
post #9 of 39 Old 07-23-2009, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petersen View Post

This also makes one wonder where the set top video processor business is going. If a company like IDT is offering quality de-interlacing, transcoding, format conversion, scaling, detail enhance, sharpen, denoise and apparently now CMS, what does a VP manufacturer add to the equation other than a PCB and power supply?

Software implementation and human interface, I suppose.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #10 of 39 Old 07-23-2009, 09:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:

This is HUGE. Look at all the untapped power in a good number of receivers. Onkyo didn't seem too interested in fixing their colour-space error on the 905 IIRC.
post #11 of 39 Old 07-24-2009, 03:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Quote:

Im still waiting for a VP with Teranex like features. Unfortunately its ( Teranex ) price limits its popularity within the consumer circle but it has filters to specifically target most annoying source artifacts including squeezing further quality from pristine material. There is no way of knowing what is being left off the table or what is possible with consumer VPs until you test drive such a beast. While new chips allow cheaper production I would also like to see them expand on additional videophile features.
post #12 of 39 Old 07-24-2009, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

I have been a big fan of VPs, Lumagen VPs in particular, having owned a Radiance and a HDQ.

But, two things are converging to render most stand alone VPs basically unnecessary. First, many displays are now adding features like a CMS. This new HQV chip will accellerate this process. Second, we are watching more higher quality material like Blurays so things like scaling and deinterlacing are much less important now than they were to most people in the past.

Yes, implementation is everything and some display manufacturers will blow it. This is a very narrow market for stand alone VP companies to operate in.

Affable Nitwit
post #13 of 39 Old 07-24-2009, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Those and HDMI switching between lots of inputs are probably about all that's left as far as value added features for the VP STB manufacturers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gouger View Post

Im still waiting for a VP with Teranex like features. Unfortunately its ( Teranex ) price limits its popularity within the consumer circle but it has filters to specifically target most annoying source artifacts including squeezing further quality from pristine material. There is no way of knowing what is being left off the table or what is possible with consumer VPs until you test drive such a beast. While new chips allow cheaper production I would also like to see them expand on additional videophile features.

Good point, I've heard that the Teranex has a lot of other features that didn't make it into the Realta. Maybe that's where IDT will go in the future. Another thing that I'd like to see these chip manufacturers add is access to some of the algorithm and filter settings. Something more like what is in ffdshow along with a split screen so AVSers like me can spend countless hours tweaking the settings for specific content

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawguy View Post

But, two things are converging to render most stand alone VPs basically unnecessary. First, many displays are now adding features like a CMS. This new HQV chip will accellerate this process. Second, we are watching more higher quality material like Blurays so things like scaling and deinterlacing are much less important now than they were to most people in the past.

Very true, we might be seeing the end of the VP STB business although the display manufacturers continue to leave off simple, but key features that are fully supported in the chip. Anamorphic stretch of letterboxed 4x3 to full 16x9 panel size is a good example that is left out of many current Reon and VXP implementations.

So long as we have broadcast 1080i, quality de-interlacing will continue to be important though.
post #14 of 39 Old 07-24-2009, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So long as we have broadcast 1080i, quality de-interlacing will continue to be important though.

This is true, but at the current quality of HD cable material that I am receiving, I really don't consider watching it to be critical viewing. People are free to feel differently, of course.

Affable Nitwit
post #15 of 39 Old 07-24-2009, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Speaking of Teranex, they were purchased at the beginning of the month by Jupiter Systems. From the press release, it sounded like they were maybe interested in doing further things with the Realta.
post #16 of 39 Old 07-26-2009, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Interesting. I was going to comment on the fact that Realta was still a property of Teranex (not IDT). I guess now Realta is property of Jupiter Systems.
post #17 of 39 Old 08-13-2009, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
OK. So, which BDP gets it first?
post #18 of 39 Old 08-19-2009, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawguy View Post

I have been a big fan of VPs, Lumagen VPs in particular, having owned a Radiance and a HDQ.

Yes, implementation is everything and some display manufacturers will blow it. This is a very narrow market for stand alone VP companies to operate in.

Well, this was a post from Lumagen folks from 18 months ago....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp View Post

We are considering a calibration only box. However, we have not made any decisions on this yet. Certainly it makes sense as it would be less expensive.

I, and many other owners of PJs without CMS like the JVC RS2, would have ordered such a scaled-down product if it was propertly priced. Looks like they dragged their feet for 18 months and have probably missed their window of opportunity. I wouldn't hold any stock in a VP company right now.

There's no way I'd shell out $4K for a Radiance now. Not when I can put that money toward a new PJ that will have this chip or other CMS function and V-stretch. And what happens if/when LED or laser PJs come out with accurate colors and possibly no need for CMS? I can get HMDI switching in an A/V receiver or from monoprice. The window is closing fast.

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

My 3D-BD/BD/HD-DVD/DVD collection and HT gear

post #19 of 39 Old 09-02-2009, 02:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Any one know which AVR producer will use this chip?
=======================================
Is there a thread w/a shootout of AVR scalers?
(for both SD & HD)
BIG thanks!

"I wonder if any of the releases had slipcovers though."
"Are these comfirmed to have slipcovers?"
"They look nice in those slips."
"This slipcover looks too good to pass up."
post #20 of 39 Old 09-02-2009, 04:33 AM

This is Great News, I will look forward seeing it in action.
post #21 of 39 Old 09-02-2009, 09:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjw View Post

And what happens if/when LED or laser PJs come out with accurate colors and possibly no need for CMS?

The Earth will be rotating backwards at that point. So that we are all clear: inaccurate colors are not a limitation of the current display technology. LEDs may not drift as much as a UHP bulb does during break-in, but they do still drift, at least the ones that have been around long enough for longitudinal testing is concerned. Color accuracy is first and foremost an engineering question, then a manufacturing question. Display technology is a DISTANT third.

Also, the stand-alone VP market is basically Lumagen right now. Everyone else either does it as a sideline (e.g., Denon) or as something of an extension of R&D (e.g., Anchor Bay and the EDGE/ABT2010). Unfortunately, the video processing in my PR-SC886 is still marginal and slow, and that's before talking about aspect ratio handling, mentioned previously.

Color accuracy evangelist and CalMAN insider
post #22 of 39 Old 09-02-2009, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Lumagen has long stated that they abandoned the idea of a calibration only box after they put CMS functionality in their entry level HDQ processor. Though not as nice as the one in the Radiance (the points are not independent), it still gives you a CMS for < $1k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjw View Post

Well, this was a post from Lumagen folks from 18 months ago....

I, and many other owners of PJs without CMS like the JVC RS2, would have ordered such a scaled-down product if it was propertly priced. Looks like they dragged their feet for 18 months and have probably missed their window of opportunity. I wouldn't hold any stock in a VP company right now.

There's no way I'd shell out $4K for a Radiance now. Not when I can put that money toward a new PJ that will have this chip or other CMS function and V-stretch. And what happens if/when LED or laser PJs come out with accurate colors and possibly no need for CMS? I can get HMDI switching in an A/V receiver or from monoprice. The window is closing fast.

post #23 of 39 Old 09-02-2009, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave G View Post

Lumagen has long stated that they abandoned the idea of a calibration only box after they put CMS functionality in their entry level HDQ processor. Though not as nice as the one in the Radiance (the points are not independent), it still gives you a CMS for < $1k.

I believe the reason for not fully implementing CMS in the HDQ was limited gates. I thought they might still be considering it (getting around the limitation) by excluding all other functions except CMS. I guess not.

From what I've read, it's not nearly as good. In fact, I've read posts that claim it may make things worse for CMS on a RS2/FPJ1. At best, there's very little improvement, so it's not worth the cost/effort (no HDMI) in my setup.

As I said, with 1080p24 BD and more projectors providing CMS, factoring in great sources like the Oppo and newer chipsets, the market for VP is shrinking fast. I still think that there is (was?) a need for an inexpensive HDMI switcher with full CMS. I guess Lumagen thinks otherwise.

However, they're serious mistaken if they think their business model is alive and well with an old HDQ and it's limited/crippled CMS, and the expensive Radiance. They missed the market opportunity 18 minths ago. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Hope they have a nice exit strategy...

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

My 3D-BD/BD/HD-DVD/DVD collection and HT gear

post #24 of 39 Old 09-02-2009, 04:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 148
"In fact, I've read posts that claim it may make things worse for CMS on a RS2/FPJ1."

I believe that seriously misconstrues the results obtained w/the JVC's; cf Lawguy's and Ronomy's posts on the subject.

Noah
post #25 of 39 Old 09-02-2009, 04:59 PM
amt

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

"In fact, I've read posts that claim it may make things worse for CMS on a RS2/FPJ1."

I believe that seriously misconstrues the results obtained w/the JVC's; cf Lawguy's and Ronomy's posts on the subject.

And there's been at least one person here who has had both HDP and Radiance and could not tell a difference between the two. Claims of making it worse are just ridiculous.

Don't get me wrong, I think the HDP can be improved. I would love to see the same thing with HDMI instead of DVI so we could pass HD audio. I wonder, if DVDO edge could add color correction, could the HDP even survive in the market.
post #26 of 39 Old 09-04-2009, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

What I want to know is if the inverse telecine is further improved as I could use something better than my DVDO Edge. And how this new noise reduction does.

Here's to hoping products come out with it that support 240p, or else I'll never be able to get rid of my Edge :/

"Vintage" is good for wine, not for A/V equipment.

-Dan D.
post #27 of 39 Old 09-04-2009, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

Here's to hoping products come out with it that support 240p, or else I'll never be able to get rid of my Edge :/

I'm just testing a Realta-based Scaler from CYP and while it handles 240p quite nicely, the lag's excruciating. Haven't measured it, but feels like 4-frames plus. I doubt that a new HQV chipset will improve on this point.
post #28 of 39 Old 09-04-2009, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

4 frames of lag is totally unacceptable, especially for a progressive signal. Why can't companies figure this out?

Hell, for a PROGRESSIVE SIGNAL, even 2 frames of lag is unacceptable, and 1 is still really pushing it.

"Vintage" is good for wine, not for A/V equipment.

-Dan D.
post #29 of 39 Old 12-19-2009, 09:11 PM

Hopefully there will be some announcements at CES about products with the Vida processor. I have a Vizio plasma with the Reon HQV and the SD processing is phenomenal.
post #30 of 39 Old 12-25-2009, 11:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 49
HQV® Vida™ Advanced Video Processor
Third Generation Hollywood Quality Video® (HQV®) technology provides a new standard for video processing and powerful clean up of lower quality, highly compressed video.
Description
The highly integrated IDT HQV® Vida™ advanced video processing IC provides a new standard in high quality video processing. Featuring the next generation of IDT HQV video processing algorithms for noise reduction, motion adaptive de-interlacing, scaling and detail enhancement, the Vida processor also offers several new enhancements:
• HQV StreamClean™ is a powerful new noise reduction technology that incorporates adaptive mosquito noise reduction, block artifact reduction and temporal noise reduction to selectively reduce difficult-to-remove image artifacts from lower quality, preprocessed video sources.
• HQV Resolution Enhancement technology generates pristine and detailed upscaled images to make standard definition content look near-HD in quality and even further enhances detail in HD content.
• Auto HQV™ enables hands-free adjustment to optimize image quality of content from different sources or content that varies in quality. Auto HQV analyzes the video content and adaptively adjusts image and noise processing parameters to optimize image quality and reduce artifacts.
The IDT Vida processor also features 14-bit internal processing and 12-bit output for deep color processing, and 3D gamut conversion for xvYCC processing. These capabilities provide accurate conversion of regular and wide gamut content to the display’s native gamut. In addition, it features
6-axis color control with independent adjustment of any color’s hue and saturation.
TWI
UARTJTAGRGB/YCbCrRGB/YCbCrINPortOUTPortVHD1900
Figure 1. IDT HQV Vida image processor block diagram
IDT® HQV® VIDA™ FLYER
Benefits of Vida video processor
• Significantly and automatically improves user viewing experience
• Powerful on-the-fly clean-up of streaming video, regardless of source
Applications for the IDT Vida processor include:
• Blu-Ray Disc players
• Set-top boxes
• Audio-video receivers
• Personal video recorders
• Digital TV
• Digital media adapters
• Media player docking stations
• Video processing boxes
®
© 2009 Integrated Device Technology, Inc. All rights reserved. Product specifications subject to change without notice. IDT and the IDT logo are registered trademarks of Integrated Device Technology, Inc. All other brands, product names and marks are or may be trademarks or registered trademarks used to identify products or services of their respective owners.
Printed in USA 9-09 MG/BWD/DC/HOP/r2v1 FLYR-VIDA -099
Discover what IDT know-how can do for you.
www.IDT.com/go/Vida
Features
Advanced noise reduction
The powerful HQV noise reduction algorithms use advanced adaptive motion, power and spatial estimation techniques to selectively reduce image artifacts. The following noise reduction algorithms are available:
• Temporal noise reduction (TNR)
u Film grain, random noise and sensor noise
• Block artifact reduction (BAR)
u Block Artifacts caused by over compression
• Mosquito noise reduction (MNR)
u Noise around the edges of objects due to compression losses
Motion adaptive video processing
• Four-field, motion adaptive, de-interlacing
• Multi cadence support
• Adaptive motion processing for trick-mode play and poor quality video
Scaler and resolution enhancement
• Edge-adaptive up-scaling
• Per-pixel resolution enhancement
• Support for wide, zoom and non-linear panoramic scaling
Adaptive contrast enhancement
• Optimizes image dynamic range
• Improves black and white level detail
Advanced color support
• 12-bit color space conversion on input and output
• 12-bit color Gamma conversion
• xvYCC/custom display color gamut mapping
• Full 6-axis hue and saturation control
• Hue, saturation, brightness and contrast (HSBC) adjustment
High bandwidth input and output
• 36-bits/pixel deep color input and output
• Input and output resolutions up to a maximum of 1920 x 1080p at 60 Hz (video) and
1920 x 1200 at 60 Hz with reduced blanking (graphics)
System support
• No external DRAM memory or Flash required
• Integrated micro-controller
Packaging
• Compact 128 pin TQFP package
Part number
• IDT VHD1900EVG
Applications support kit
• Vida video processor evaluation board
• PC based configuration software
• Complete user’s guide
• Reference schematics