post #271 of 3841 Old 10-28-2009, 06:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I noticed you have your display ISF calibrated are you going to get them back in to do a touch up?

I doubt it since the ISF job was done only a few months ago.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 3841 Old 10-28-2009, 06:43 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q of BanditZ View Post

I doubt it since the ISF job was done only a few months ago.

I guess as long as you don't touch any of the important settings in he Duo eg colour contrast etc. Mine was done a month ago and i told him about the edge and hes coming back to do some touch ups.

Frank

post #273 of 3841 Old 10-28-2009, 07:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked: 715
That reminds me. I need to schedule my yearly calibration with ELIAB. I hope he's coming to my area sometime soon so I can schedule him to come out.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #274 of 3841 Old 10-28-2009, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

That reminds me. I need to schedule my yearly calibration with ELIAB. I hope he's coming to my area sometime soon so I can schedule him to come out.

Every year? I thought the usual was every 2 to 3, unless this is just to keep things in order because you have a rear projector (which may be finickier than a flat panel, I don't know) or strictly "preventive maintanance." Putting a new VP in the setup could call for one also.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #275 of 3841 Old 10-28-2009, 01:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

Every year? I thought the usual was every 2 to 3, unless this is just to keep things in order because you have a rear projector (which may be finickier than a flat panel, I don't know) or strictly "preventive maintanance." Putting a new VP in the setup could call for one also.

Any new device is goig to chaneg things since they are not the same. My last calibration was with a Panny BD35 as my main player, prior to that is was a toshiba XA2 as my main player.

Now my main player will be the LG BD390, plus the DUO is new in my setup. Since my first professional calibration in 2001 I've tried to get a calibration done at least once a year. Sometimes I've had two or three a year, and I think I also skipped a year in there as well.

Plus I'm also curious to see how my LED DLP has held up. when I had lamp based units, the lamp would drift each near which also necessitated a calibration. I had a calibration in August last year and another in December on the LED DLP and it didn't change any(well only an extremly minor chnage). So I'm curious what 12 or 13 months will do to it.

post #276 of 3841 Old 10-28-2009, 07:49 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

I was told by putting the Edge in could require minimal touch up as long as i dont play around with the colours, contrast etc. But then again by putting the edge in might give him more play around in the calibrations.

Frank

post #277 of 3841 Old 10-29-2009, 05:17 AM
CIH USER

Two more question about the Duo, (I promise) are the HDMI connections are spaced adequately like the Edge? and does anyone have the Rs232 serial commands for the unit or are they the same as the VP50pro?

Edit: looking at returning the Edge and buying the DUO instead.

Frank

post #278 of 3841 Old 10-29-2009, 07:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Two more question about the Duo, (I promise) are the HDMI connections are spaced adequately like the Edge? and does anyone have the Rs232 serial commands for the unit or are they the same as the VP50pro?

Edit: looking at returning the Edge and buying the DUO instead.

A pity that, at least publicly, DVDO hasn't expanded or seen fit to continue their upgrade/swap program to include the Duo and Edge lines.

I always thought that was a heck of a nifty thing for them to do.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #279 of 3841 Old 10-29-2009, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:

Any new device is goig to chaneg things since they are not the same. My last calibration was with a Panny BD35 as my main player, prior to that is was a toshiba XA2 as my main player.

Now my main player will be the LG BD390, plus the DUO is new in my setup. Since my first professional calibration in 2001 I've tried to get a calibration done at least once a year. Sometimes I've had two or three a year, and I think I also skipped a year in there as well.

Plus I'm also curious to see how my LED DLP has held up. when I had lamp based units, the lamp would drift each near which also necessitated a calibration. I had a calibration in August last year and another in December on the LED DLP and it didn't change any(well only an extremly minor chnage). So I'm curious what 12 or 13 months will do to it.

A semi-technical opinion: I'd think the LED-based rear-pro will be more stable, certainly more than the lamps and definitely more than a CRT-based set. Plus, the Duo may provide extra support/control.

post #280 of 3841 Old 10-29-2009, 08:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

A pity that, at least publicly, DVDO hasn't expanded or seen fit to continue their upgrade/swap program to include the Duo and Edge lines.

I always thought that was a heck of a nifty thing for them to do.

the DUO and EDGE cost much less than the previous models.

post #281 of 3841 Old 10-29-2009, 08:52 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

the DUO and EDGE cost much less than the previous models.

Are the HDMI the same distance apart like the edge?

Frank

post #282 of 3841 Old 10-29-2009, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

ARE both outputs active at same time? IE: CAN I run two projectors at the same time (I wouldn't actually be doing this,however need to know if you have to switch to one,or the other,each time)

CHEERS, TC
post #283 of 3841 Old 10-29-2009, 01:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Pretty darned strong first impressions here out of the box. Setup was a breeze. The unit is quiet, fast, and does not run hot at least from what I'm seeing so far. The auto switching via prioritizing your inputs is going to spoil me very fast.

I have the output set to 1080p60Hz for my Pioneer 111FD and not 1080p24 since I thought this reacted a little strangely with certain DirecTV sources and with PS3 games.

Game mode is on for the PS3 input, not for the others.

On the input that the Oppo BDP83 is on, I have 1:1 Frame Rate set to "Enabled" just for that input so that the Oppo's 1080p24 comes across as it should. Do I understand that correctly and is that the correct way to set that up?

The Oppo is set to Source Direct and its 1080p24 output for BDs is still set as it should be. I can do this or simply leave the Oppo's settings the way they were and let the Oppo handle everything. I have no preference either way.

1:1 Frame Rate is disabled on the other inputs which have DirecTV and the PS3 on them respectively. Deep Color, 36 bits, 4:4:4 all the way on everything...it looks great. It's nice to know that I'm getting the absolute optimum out of everything I've got since my TV is a 36 bit set. (Even though yes, I know, there isn't any 36 bit material yet.)

I'm using the HDMI audio out to my Yamaha 2700. It is nice to have a dedicated audio cable seperate from the video. LPCM all the way, can't do bitstream to a HDMI 1.2 receiver. No audio problems of any kind so far. I've tested several BDs, several DVDs, and a slew of PS3 games and DirecTV channels. This unit has not missed a beat on me and so far it's just as smooth and intuitive as I could have hoped for.

I'm pretty confident I have everything set correctly but if it sounds like I missed anything here, fire away at me.

I'd say right now I have about 2 hours of use under my belt with configuring, testing and "messing around" so please don't take any of this as some kind of high, scientific rote or serious review or anything like that.

Again: Very positive first impressions across the boards.

Quote:

Are the HDMI the same distance apart like the edge?

FWIW: I'm using these really thick (too thick ) Monoprice HDMI 1.3 cables that really are meant to be used for in wall installation. It was kind of a mistake of mine but they work well enough and they fit just fine next to each other. I have my sources connected HDMI 1, 2, and 3 all right next to each other, all using these "too thick" cables without any problem whatsoever.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #284 of 3841 Old 10-29-2009, 03:40 PM
CIH USER

Quote:

Pretty darned strong first impressions here out of the box. Setup was a breeze. The unit is quiet, fast, and does not run hot at least from what I'm seeing so far. The auto switching via prioritizing your inputs is going to spoil me very fast.

I have the output set to 1080p60Hz for my Pioneer 111FD and not 1080p24 since I thought this reacted a little strangely with certain DirecTV sources and with PS3 games.

Game mode is on for the PS3 input, not for the others.

On the input that the Oppo BDP83 is on, I have 1:1 Frame Rate set to "Enabled" just for that input so that the Oppo's 1080p24 comes across as it should. Do I understand that correctly and is that the correct way to set that up?

The Oppo is set to Source Direct and its 1080p24 output for BDs is still set as it should be. I can do this or simply leave the Oppo's settings the way they were and let the Oppo handle everything. I have no preference either way.

1:1 Frame Rate is disabled on the other inputs which have DirecTV and the PS3 on them respectively. Deep Color, 36 bits, 4:4:4 all the way on everything...it looks great. It's nice to know that I'm getting the absolute optimum out of everything I've got since my TV is a 36 bit set. (Even though yes, I know, there isn't any 36 bit material yet.)

I'm using the HDMI audio out to my Yamaha 2700. It is nice to have a dedicated audio cable seperate from the video. LPCM all the way, can't do bitstream to a HDMI 1.2 receiver. No audio problems of any kind so far. I've tested several BDs, several DVDs, and a slew of PS3 games and DirecTV channels. This unit has not missed a beat on me and so far it's just as smooth and intuitive as I could have hoped for.

I'm pretty confident I have everything set correctly but if it sounds like I missed anything here, fire away at me.

I'd say right now I have about 2 hours of use under my belt with configuring, testing and "messing around" so please don't take any of this as some kind of high, scientific rote or serious review or anything like that.

Again: Very positive first impressions across the boards.

FWIW: I'm using these really thick (too thick ) Monoprice HDMI 1.3 cables that really are meant to be used for in wall installation. It was kind of a mistake of mine but they work well enough and they fit just fine next to each other. I have my sources connected HDMI 1, 2, and 3 all right next to each other, all using these "too thick" cables without any problem whatsoever.

Thankyou wil order today!

Frank

post #285 of 3841 Old 10-29-2009, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
appearantly this was just in amazons deal of the day hourly deals. anyone snag one or see how much the price was?

post #286 of 3841 Old 10-29-2009, 03:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truffleshuffle83 View Post

appearantly this was just in amazons deal of the day hourly deals. anyone snag one or see how much the price was?

I wonder if I took the last one from them?

The price I paid was about $74 more than what you see there right now as I write this. You'll also notice that Amazon themselves is out of stock for the moment.

That being said: I called Amazon on their 866 toll free number and politely took a blind shot at me being refunded that $74 difference since it all happened so fast after me ordering and receiving my unit and they did it!

So I got the Duo for the price you see there right now as I type this. Pretty good deal IMO.

It was well south of the MSRP for starters and um...less than four figures. I'm trying not to break AVS forum rules here but believe me, it was, and is, a hell of a price.

Quote:

Thankyou wil order today!

I hope you end up as happy as I currently am with it. It's a nifty unit.

EDIT: Have a little minor issue here: With DirecTV, if I switch channels sometimes I see it take as long as 20 seconds for the signal to "take" and then everything is fine. Any ideas?

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #287 of 3841 Old 10-29-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:

EDIT: Have a little minor issue here: With DirecTV, if I switch channels sometimes I see it take as long as 20 seconds for the signal to "take" and then everything is fine. Any ideas?

Damn, I was hoping not to hear that, I feed my Sammy plasma 1080i from my DirecTV HD-DVR because I'm not patient and it takes way too long (3-4 secs) for the receiver to synch from 1080i (HD Net)to 720P (ABC/ESPN/FOX) and so on when in native mode, but it's no where 20 seconds.

If that can't be fixed it's a deal breaker regardless of what magic it does to the video. I know you always want to send the native signal to an outboard video processor but that's ridiculous. I wonder if the Edge suffers from the same phenomenon?

Other than that problem, how was the picture on DirecTV HD with MNR set to low? Did it make a noticeable improvement in the mosquito noise without creating new visual problems?

Lastly, is PReP engaged on a 720P channel such as ESPN?
post #288 of 3841 Old 10-29-2009, 05:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExCavTanker View Post

Damn, I was hoping not to hear that, I feed my Sammy plasma 1080i from my DirecTV HD-DVR because I'm not patient and it takes way too long (3-4 secs) for the receiver to synch from 1080i (HD Net)to 720P (ABC/ESPN/FOX) and so on when in native mode, but it's no where 20 seconds.

I'd hoped I'd see something even quicker than what I had not something slower. It doesn't happen all the time.

My best guess: HDMI handshake and/or EDID issue. Or some setting I'm missing somewhere.

Quote:

If that can't be fixed it's a deal breaker regardless of what magic it does to the video. I know you always want to send the native signal to an outboard video processor but that's ridiculous. I wonder if the Edge suffers from the same phenomenon?

Hopefully other owners of this and Edge and any other DVDO product stumble in here before long.

Quote:

Other than that problem, how was the picture on DirecTV HD with MNR set to low?

Nice!

Quote:

Did it make a noticeable improvement in the mosquito noise without creating new visual problems?

It's subtle, not earth shattering. I'm still experiementing with it. There is definitely some benefit there.

Quote:

Lastly, is PReP engaged on a 720P channel such as ESPN?

No. You can set it to auto (default) for 480p/576p or 1080p 50/60Hz. That's it.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #289 of 3841 Old 10-29-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:

I'd hoped I'd see something even quicker than what I had not something slower. It doesn't happen all the time.

My best guess: HDMI handshake and/or EDID issue. Or some setting I'm missing somewhere.

I'd say you might be right, I wonder if it's losing the handshake whan the DirecTV receiver goes from dropping say a 720P res output to a 1080i output? I definitely notice some flickering on my tv when switching channels in native mode.

I'm not an EE or HDMI expert but I would say the DUO needs to hold onto the previous signal until a new clean signal with the new res is output from the sat rcvr to replace it instead of dropping it and then go into search mode, more HDMI goodness at work, not!

Good to hear about the MNR work on DirecTV though!
post #290 of 3841 Old 10-29-2009, 06:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'd say you might be right, I wonder if it's losing the handshake whan the DirecTV receiver goes from dropping say a 720P res output to a 1080i output? I definitely notice some flickering on my tv when switching channels in native mode.

Yup, that's what it looks like to me. My Pioneer 111FD on its own would have a few seconds of "handshake" issues like that when switching resolutions. This is more than a few seconds. This is 15-20 seconds.

Quote:

I'm not an EE or HDMI expert but I would say the DUO needs to hold onto the previous signal until a new clean signal with the new res is output from the sat rcvr to replace it instead of dropping it and then go into search mode, more HDMI goodness at work, not!

Agreed.

Quote:

Good to hear about the MNR work on DirecTV though!

I wonder if either 1:1 Frame Rate and/or Frame Lock settings have anything to do with this? Time to experiment some more...

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #291 of 3841 Old 10-29-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:

I wonder if either 1:1 Frame Rate and/or Frame Lock settings have anything to do with this? Time to experiment some more...

Only one way to find out.
post #292 of 3841 Old 10-29-2009, 06:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

This was it!

1:1 Frame Rate needs to be enabled and Frame Lock needs to be set to Auto Lock and these two things combined make a big difference. Now I'd say things are quite normal. If I switch from an HD station to a non HD station I see maybe two seconds of a shake and it picks it right up.

Perfectly normal behavior. I think that fixed it.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #293 of 3841 Old 10-29-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:

This was it!

1:1 Frame Rate needs to be enabled and Frame Lock needs to be set to Auto Lock and these two things combined make a big difference. Now I'd say things are quite normal. If I switch from an HD station to a non HD station I see maybe two seconds of a shake and it picks it right up.

Perfectly normal behavior. I think that fixed it.

Excellent! Now please tell me that the 36bit output doesn't really make a huge difference or my wife is going to be pissed.
post #294 of 3841 Old 10-29-2009, 07:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Excellent! Now please tell me that the 36bit output doesn't really make a huge difference or my wife is going to be pissed.

No, not huge.

A nice refinement at most. I'm glad I have it on this and I'm glad I have it on my Oppo BDP83.

I know that's not the kind of hard hitting review and analysis people are looking for but I'm trying to be as honest and realistic as I can. This isn't a magic box. If you have a nice display it'll put everything over the top and you'll know you're getting every last drop of whatever you can get out of your display. No more. No less.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #295 of 3841 Old 10-29-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:

No, not huge.

A nice refinement at most. I'm glad I have it on this and I'm glad I have it on my Oppo BDP83.

I know that's not the kind of hard hitting review and analysis people are looking for but I'm trying to be as honest and realistic as I can. This isn't a magic box. If you have a nice display it'll put everything over the top and you'll know you're getting every last drop of whatever you can get out of your display. No more. No less.

My comment reference my wife was she's going to be pissed because I have to have one. My Sammy's not a Kuro in the blacks dept but it's CMS does pretty good, though I do see banding on the satellite stuff and I'd love to improve it.

I do have a question on connectivity, I use my PS3 for gaming AND BR movies, how would I set up the DUO so I can have the 1080p24 for BR movies and game mode for games on the same physical HDMI input?
post #296 of 3841 Old 10-29-2009, 08:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

My comment reference my wife was she's going to be pissed because I have to have one.

Indeed.

Quote:

My Sammy's not a Kuro in the blacks dept but it's CMS does pretty good, though I do see banding on the satellite stuff and I'd love to improve it.

I think this thing will do something for you.

It's worth taking it for a test spin was I how I felt about it.

Just buy it from a place with a good return and exchange policy and it'll be fairly low risk.

Quote:

I do have a question on connectivity, I use my PS3 for gaming AND BR movies, how would I set up the DUO so I can have the 1080p24 for BR movies and game mode for games on the same physical HDMI input?

PS3 with all resolutions checked on, 1080p24 checked on for BD movies...probably the way you already have it set. Nothing changes on the PS3 end.

You'd have the Duo set to output at your display's native resolution which is probably 1080p60. On that same input, you would turn game mode on for games and when you'd want to watch a movie you'd slip in the menu and turn game mode off. This can be done very quickly and there may even be a quicker way to do it but I'm not that intimately familliar with the unit and any shortcuts yet.

You would have my above mentioned 1:1 Frame Rate enabled and Frame Lock needs to be set to Auto Lock so when the PS3 plays a 1080p24 BD it'll pass through as that nice and neat.

From that point forward, you'd never have to think about it again except for toggling on Game Mode for gaming and turning it off for movies. The menus and GUI are fast, slick, and intuitive.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #297 of 3841 Old 10-29-2009, 08:14 PM
CIH USER

Well I'm lucky I'm allowed to upgrade from the Edge to the Duo. The audio dropouts on the Edge would of driven me bannanas.

Frank

post #298 of 3841 Old 10-29-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:

Indeed.

I think this thing will do something for you.

It's worth taking it for a test spin was I how I felt about it.

Just buy it from a place with a good return and exchange policy and it'll be fairly low risk.

PS3 with all resolutions checked on, 1080p24 checked on for BD movies...probably the way you already have it set. Nothing changes on the PS3 end.

You'd have the Duo set to output at your display's native resolution which is probably 1080p60. On that same input, you would turn game mode on for games and when you'd want to watch a movie you'd slip in the menu and turn game mode off. This can be done very quickly and there may even be a quicker way to do it but I'm not that intimately familliar with the unit and any shortcuts yet.

You would have my above mentioned 1:1 Frame Rate enabled and Frame Lock needs to be set to Auto Lock so when the PS3 plays a 1080p24 BD it'll pass through as that nice and neat.

From that point forward, you'd never have to think about it again except for toggling on Game Mode for gaming and turning it off for movies. The menus and GUI are fast, slick, and intuitive.

Toggle game mode in the menu, that's kinda what I figured.
post #299 of 3841 Old 10-30-2009, 06:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Well I'm lucky I'm allowed to upgrade from the Edge to the Duo. The audio dropouts on the Edge would of driven me bannanas.

Haven't had any audio drop outs here yet.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #300 of 3841 Old 10-30-2009, 06:43 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

Haven't had any audio drop outs here yet.

Well thats good to hear. I could not believe it when I got audio drop out when the firmware on the Edge should of fixed that. I spoke to the guys who handle DVDO here in Australia and just by playing around with the Duo they were very impress with its handling and build. Looking forward to seeing it in action

Frank

Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page