New DVDO iScan Duo [2.0 firmware released] - Page 130 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #3871 of 3891 Old 04-06-2015, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Hey all,
I just purchased An iScan DUO used and, after plugging it into my chain, was prompted onscreen wizard to select the video and audio output . Immediately after doing this I backed out of the wizard using the arrow keys and the picture went off and the power LED and blue display on the front started blinking rapidly. All buttons are unresponsive and no amount of unplugging/rep lugging the power to the unit will override this blinking! HELP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3872 of 3891 Old 04-07-2015, 04:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You should be able to navigate the menu with frontpanel (mini display + keys); try to find the factory reset and start over.
post #3873 of 3891 Old 04-07-2015, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeNooL View Post
You should be able to navigate the menu with frontpanel (mini display + keys); try to find the factory reset and start over.
When it freaks out, the display is flashing and unit Will not even power off...
post #3874 of 3891 Old 04-08-2015, 05:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
HDCP not authenticating will cause the blue light to flash but should not affect the power led. The manual also mentions this fix in firmware 2.21 : "Avoid front panel LED flashing when both A/V HDMI outputs aren’t connected". Obviously you can't check your firmware version in the state your DUO is in. Frankly this sounds like a more serious problem than those things I mentioned. Possibly the firmware is corrupt or even a hardware issue like a bad power board or supply. Check the power supply output and see if it is okay. Maybe someone here with more knowledge can suggest a way to force a full reset. I would call or email support and see what they say. I sure hope it's an easy fix, I know how I freak out every time I think my DUO is having a problem. Good luck.
post #3875 of 3891 Old 04-08-2015, 11:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Hi, If you connect it to a computer does it appear as a drive? If so you can flash the new firmware again from there to rule that out.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&so...xMvaM0e-zHqxjw

Hard power off the unit by disconnecting the power cable for around 20 min and then power it back up again and let us know how you got on.

Thanks

TV: Panasonic 55" VT65 Surround: Yamaha RX1073 + Orbs Audio Mod2 7.1 + SVS SB12-NSD Stereo: Yamaha AS500 + Kef Q300 Processor: DVDO Duo + Darbee 5000S + Iscan Mini Players: HDI Dune Solo4K / Nvidia Shield TV / VU+ Duo2 NAS: Qnap 871 Pro i7 16GB Ram
post #3876 of 3891 Old 04-14-2015, 08:53 AM

Hi,

I also have DVDO Duo and the Mini and wanted to know what settings you are using on the Mini as i am finding it has some jaggies lines on certain items like striped shirts etc.

VU+ duo2 (1080p/50) -> DVDO Duo (1080p/50 with Prep Enabled) -> DVDO Mini (Auto) -> Plasma VT60

I am not sure if I should let the Duo do the processing or change it to the Mini as I am not sure which will do a better Job? hence why i wanted to know settings as a baseline.
Thanks

TV: Panasonic 55" VT65 Surround: Yamaha RX1073 + Orbs Audio Mod2 7.1 + SVS SB12-NSD Stereo: Yamaha AS500 + Kef Q300 Processor: DVDO Duo + Darbee 5000S + Iscan Mini Players: HDI Dune Solo4K / Nvidia Shield TV / VU+ Duo2 NAS: Qnap 871 Pro i7 16GB Ram
post #3877 of 3891 Old 12-15-2015, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
What the hell happened here? Posts go unanswered. This thread seems basically dead. I've got HDCP hoping problems every since I added an Oppo 105D to my system, and I go to DVDO's website for firmware and find my DUO is now a "Legacy" item and can't even get updates- WTH? Have you all moved on to in-board processing in your AVR/pre-pro's? Is a component 6 years old really obsolete just because of 4K?

I don't understand after going back and reading this thread (and others on DVDO) the unexplained drop-off in the discussion. Nobody saying what or where they're going or why. This unit has been rock-solid for me for years. The new units at DVDO seem like trinkets. Is the Mini really the new answer??

Feeding a Pio Kuro and Epson 5030 (p.o.s.). I've had to bypass the Duo and go directly to the Epson (p.o.s.) non-discrete inputs due to the EDIC non-handshaking issues.

Would much appreciate some guidance/input on this.

JD

"We've got to get in to get out..."
post #3878 of 3891 Old 12-15-2015, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRD57 View Post
Feeding a Pio Kuro and Epson 5030 (p.o.s.). I've had to bypass the Duo and go directly to the Epson (p.o.s.) non-discrete inputs due to the EDIC non-handshaking issues.
You didn't really ask a question, so I'll just respond to this statement. I've had no issues using the duo and the 5025 (which is essentially identical to the 5030). In fact, I've experienced fewer handshake issues with the Epson than I did with my Panasonic plasma.
post #3879 of 3891 Old 12-16-2015, 05:13 PM

Howdy Bluescale and thanks for the response. Sorry for the rant and lack of clarity. This was always my go-to site for searching for answers and was kinda shocked to see it had fallen off so badly, and was wondering why. Is the Duo so antiquated that there's nothing left to talk about? If so, what's new?

I also went to DVDO's site to research firmware but ran into a brick wall. (I updated once but think there were a couple more I stayed away from as to reading they weren't as stable). I was bummed to see the Duo labeled as Legacy and couldn't even access the firmware.

I'm constantly getting a "No Signal" response when I switch from the Kuro to the PJ, and recently getting the same message from my pre/pro for audio. If I reboot the whole system typically it'll eventually start talking.

I did a quick search and it looks like your 5025 is the newer version of this PJ. I got the one that has the "wireless" HDMI with a separate STB with 4 inputs. Other than the wireless being a complete failure, there's also no discrete codes for the inputs. So you have to toggle the frackin remote to change inputs- utterly ridiculous in this day and age. When the wireless HDMI kept dropping, out Epson sent me a used/in-house test module that worked half-a**ed for a while, but I ended up hard wiring it.

So, I'm assuming that's not the case with you, and you have one output from the DVDO to your PJ. For whatever reason, I'm having communication issues with my Oppo and HTPC to the Duo - to the point I have to unplug the HDMI cables from the Oppo going to the Duo and/or projector in order to listen to music (I run USB from PC to Oppo to utilize its DAC's) and it won't play unless the EDIC is playing nice.

Would you be so kind and tell me what firmware version you're running on your DVDO? Also what type HDMI cables? I'm kinda grasping at straws here, but just going thru the process of elimination and trying to find the culprit.

Thanks much in advance.

JD

post #3880 of 3891 Old 12-17-2015, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi JD. I'll check the firmware version when I get home this evening. I'm pretty sure it was the last firmware they released, because the corrected CMS coefficients were a big deal for me. After you mentioned it, I went poking around on their site, and sure enough, the firmware is no longer available. That's pretty absurd. Fortunately, it looks like you can still get it if you know where to go:

http://www.simplaylabs.com/support/D...downloads.aspx

Just click on the tab for the Duo, fill out the little form on the bottom, and it'll take you right to the page for the firmware update.

You're correct that I don't have wireless HDMI in my environment. I'd heard the Epson was a bit finicky about HDMI, and I know the Duo can have handshake problems. Wireless HDMI seemed like more trouble than it would be worth. Instead, I'm using a free 35ft high speed HDMI cable that Visual Apex bundled with the projector. It's decent quality, but nothing special. I thought about getting an amplified cable because of the length, but since I haven't experienced any problems, I never bothered.

I have three sources feeding into the Duo:
  1. HTPC
  2. PS4
  3. Comcast DVR

The Duo then plugs into my audio processor, which goes to the Epson. The Comcast DVR is the only one that occasionally gives me problems. Sometimes I just get a green screen when I switch to cable. I power cycle the Duo, and the problem goes away. I haven't experienced that problem since I switched from the Panny plasma to the Epson.

I used to have problems with the Duo frequently not changing inputs when I powered up an activity using my Harmony remote. The Duo seems to have a very narrow IR angle. I got an IR blaster, and that problem is gone.
post #3881 of 3891 Old 12-17-2015, 04:12 PM

Hi Bluescale...thanks for the firmware link...oddly it tops out at v2.32, which I think is the one I'm on...odder still it gives v1.03 as the only other option. I know there was a v2.40 or v2.41.
Nice that yours came with a cable. I had to buy a 90ft to get rid of the wireless and hard wire mine in, and haven't had any issues there (thankfully).

What type/brand of interconnects are you using? I read somewhere in here that the HDMI needed to be v1.4 at least.

Interesting that I'm having an opposite problem than you - my Epson is flacky where my Kuro relatively solid. I think it's the outboard box

When you say "audio processor", are you saying a pre/pro?

I use an RF remote, with RF pack plugged into the back of the DVDO.

Thanks again and I look forward to your what version you're running.

Jeff

post #3882 of 3891 Old 12-17-2015, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hi Bluescale...thanks for the firmware link...oddly it tops out at v2.32, which I think is the one I'm on...odder still it gives v1.03 as the only other option. I know there was a v2.40 or v2.41.
You're right. I'm on 2.41 The versions between 1.03 and 2.32 are all beta versions. I wonder if the same was true for 2.40 and 2.41. If I remember correctly, 2.40 simply added the ISF profiles, and 2.41 corrected the instability 2.40 caused. I'm not 100% sure about that, however.

Quote:
Nice that yours came with a cable. I had to buy a 90ft to get rid of the wireless and hard wire mine in, and haven't had any issues there (thankfully).
Yikes, that's a long cable. Is an active HDMI cable? I've heard anything in the 50ft or greater neighborhood can cause instability if it's not active.I have no idea if that could be causing your problems, but I just don't know.

Quote:
What type/brand of interconnects are you using? I read somewhere in here that the HDMI needed to be v1.4 at least.
Cheap Monoprice HDMI cables. All of them are high speed with ethernet.

Quote:
I think it's the outboard box
Can you bypass the outboard box to test whether or not things are stable without it? I'm still not clear what purpose the outboard box serves. If it's just to allow you to switch HDMI ports, is there any reason not to use the Duo (assuming - and this is a major assumption - you can get it stable).

Quote:
When you say "audio processor", are you saying a pre/pro?
Yes. I have an Emotiva XMC-1.
post #3883 of 3891 Old 12-18-2015, 08:51 AM

You can always email thier support email account? That's why I did few weeks back with hdcp handshake problem and they responded back the next day asking me to check and change the frame unlock option and make sure it is kept to unlocked. So far so good no issues on roku etc.

I asked if there were any plans for a 4k duo but the answer was no.

Thanks
brettus likes this.

post #3884 of 3891 Old 12-23-2015, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescale View Post
You're right. I'm on 2.41 The versions between 1.03 and 2.32 are all beta versions. I wonder if the same was true for 2.40 and 2.41. If I remember correctly, 2.40 simply added the ISF profiles, and 2.41 corrected the instability 2.40 caused. I'm not 100% sure about that, however.
You wouldn't have a copy of the latest version you could email to me do you? I guess they stopped on 2.32 as it was deemed the most stable.

Quote:
Yikes, that's a long cable. Is an active HDMI cable? I've heard anything in the 50ft or greater neighborhood can cause instability if it's not active.I have no idea if that could be causing your problems, but I just don't know.
I haven't had any upstream communication issues with the PJ, and now that I think about it we were able to route it and use a 15m cable.

Quote:
Some of mine say high speed and some don't, even though they were purchased recently...

Quote:
Can you bypass the outboard box to test whether or not things are stable without it? I'm still not clear what purpose the outboard box serves. If it's just to allow you to switch HDMI ports, is there any reason not to use the Duo (assuming - and this is a major assumption - you can get it stable).
I have gone straight to the PJ with success. I'm just using the outboard box as a switch for the components that won't play nice with the Duo - a HTPC and Oppo 105D. In a previous post you mentions you had a HTPC connected to your Duo. Could you share the settings you used in the Duo and/or PC?

Quote:
I've been looking at those. How do you like it?

Last edited by JRD57; 12-23-2015 at 01:26 PM.
post #3885 of 3891 Old 12-23-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a5ian300zx View Post
You can always email thier support email account? That's why I did few weeks back with hdcp handshake problem and they responded back the next day asking me to check and change the frame unlock option and make sure it is kept to unlocked. So far so good no issues on roku etc.

Thanks
Hi a5ian300zx and thanks for the reply...I tried calling them but just got VM. If I can't figure this out I'll ping them. I am curious in how unlocking the frame rate would affect handshaking? I'm going to try that for my Oppo. Could you post your question and their reply?

Thanks again.

JD

post #3886 of 3891 Old 12-23-2015, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You wouldn't have a copy of the latest version you could email to me do you? I guess they stopped on 2.32 as it was deemed the most stable.
I checked on my home computer the other day, and I didn't have it. Today, on a whim, I decided to check my work laptop, and sure enough, I've got it there. PM me your email address, and I'll send it to you.

Quote:
In a previous post you mentions you had a HTPC connected to your Duo. Could you share the settings you used in the Duo and/or PC?
I'll try to check the settings this evening.

Quote:
I've been looking at those. How do you like it?
I love it. I'm a calibration junkie, and Dirac works really, really well.

Speaking of calibration, what are you primarily using the Duo for? My main reason was the CMS, as my plasma didn't give me good control over grayscale or color. The Epson 5025 (and 5030) have a pretty capable CMS built in. While the grayscale controls aren't quite as robust as the Duo, they work pretty well. And the ability to customize the gamma curve is fabulous. I'm strongly considering taking the Duo out of the chain, and moving it into the other room with the plasma. Is there something in your chain that you need the Duo's scaling capabilities for? Have you verified that the Epson can't do everything you need it to without the Duo in place?

I'm assuming, of course, that you have a different way to switch sources. That might be a poor assumption, considering you're using the external box into your PJ...
post #3887 of 3891 Old 12-23-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:

Thanks
Hi a5ian300zx and thanks for the reply...I tried calling them but just got VM. If I can't figure this out I'll ping them. I am curious in how unlocking the frame rate would affect handshaking? I'm going to try that for my Oppo. Could you post your question and their reply?

Thanks again.

JD

post #3888 of 3891 Old 12-23-2015, 02:20 PM

Quote:

Thanks again.

JD
"Hi,

My iscan mini keeps getting HDMI handshake issues which requires a reboot of the mini only and presents me with content protection error and which requires the reboot to resolve the issue on mini.

This is from multiple sources Nvidia Shield TV and Roku 3

Thanks"

"Hi,

Can you try a setting on the Duo? Switch the Duo’s output to Unlocked.

Output Setup > Frame Lock > Unlocked

This setting will set the Duo to output a constant signal even as you switch sources. Let me know how it goes.

Thanks,

Ken"
Bluescale likes this.

post #3889 of 3891 Old 12-23-2015, 03:26 PM

I checked on my home computer the other day, and I didn't have it. Today, on a whim, I decided to check my work laptop, and sure enough, I've got it there. PM me your email address, and I'll send it to you.

I'll try to check the settings this evening.

I love it. I'm a calibration junkie, and Dirac works really, really well.

Quote:
Speaking of calibration, what are you primarily using the Duo for? My main reason was the CMS, as my plasma didn't give me good control over grayscale or color. The Epson 5025 (and 5030) have a pretty capable CMS built in. While the grayscale controls aren't quite as robust as the Duo, they work pretty well. And the ability to customize the gamma curve is fabulous. I'm strongly considering taking the Duo out of the chain, and moving it into the other room with the plasma. Is there something in your chain that you need the Duo's scaling capabilities for? Have you verified that the Epson can't do everything you need it to without the Duo in place?

I'm assuming, of course, that you have a different way to switch sources. That might be a poor assumption, considering you're using the external box into your PJ...

I'm primarily using the Duo to upscale all my sources to 1080P as opposed to using the inboard scalers on my PJ and plasma. I also use it as my primary switcher (and yes I use all 8 inputs). All other calibrations are done locally in the 5030 or Kuro. When I initially got the Duo the inboard scalers were pretty weak. I supposed they have gotten better, but I was of the mindset (maybe wrongfully so) that a dedicated scaler would always be better. I've got a fairly dated Integra DHC 80.1 pre/pro that's a great audio processor, but I don't use it for any switching or video processing, other than Zone 2.

The only reason I'm using the external box that came with the projector is due to lack of communication with the Duo from my Oppo and Steiger Dynamics HTPC. Kinda frustrating (as you could tell from my original post) that I got the Duo to feed 2 displays; I finally get my PJ last year and have been trying to resolve this since. I have been in (on-again/off-again) communication with Oppo about this and they suggested bypassing the Duo. I did-(along with the HTPC)-it worked-but I've had a little time to to refocus and now again searching for the route cause...and I'm starting to think it's the Duo just not being able to handle my newer components. It works great with my four DVR's (yes-4; don't ask), PS-4, and Apple TV.

I've read on the Oppo 105(D) threads that some peeps are jettisoning their scalers and now running their components thru the Oppo due to its built-in firepower. But it's limited to 2 HDMI inputs.

post #3890 of 3891 Old 12-23-2015, 03:34 PM

Quote:
"Hi,

My iscan mini keeps getting HDMI handshake issues which requires a reboot of the mini only and presents me with content protection error and which requires the reboot to resolve the issue on mini.

This is from multiple sources Nvidia Shield TV and Roku 3

Thanks"

"Hi,

Can you try a setting on the Duo? Switch the Duo’s output to Unlocked.

Output Setup > Frame Lock > Unlocked

This setting will set the Duo to output a constant signal even as you switch sources. Let me know how it goes.

Thanks,

Ken"
Thank you...going to go try this as mine are locked.

gotta ask...why do you use a Mini in conjunction with a Duo...is it for the 4K upscaling?

Thanks again...

post #3891 of 3891 Old 12-23-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Thank you...going to go try this as mine are locked.

gotta ask...why do you use a Mini in conjunction with a Duo...is it for the 4K upscaling?

Thanks again...
Hi,

I use the mini purely for sharpening the image and duo for the rest and does make a difference with the vrs engine.

I don't have 4k setup but previous to this had lumagen xs3d and Darbee but prefer the ease of use on the duo and also the sharpening I prefer on the mini compared to Darbee.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page