New DVDO iScan Duo [2.0 firmware released] - Page 131 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #3901 of 3905 Old 03-18-2017, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Red face

Dammit - just when I thought we'd gotten past outboard processors you come up with this...I'd never heard of a LUT-box...there goes another $700...

At least all the voices in my head are singing...
...unfortunately just not in tune...

Last edited by JRD57; 03-18-2017 at 04:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3902 of 3905 Old 03-20-2017, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen1000 View Post
Yes and no:-) yeah the scalers have gotten better. And most material is 1080p so they have become far less critical. But the CMS on the LG Oleds is flawed (just look at the reviews). Things I would personally miss are:

- an actual CMS that works
- good auto switching
- the info pane telling me about the signal (bit depth, chroma subsampling, frequency)
- the fact that it can fuction as a pattern generator

For an CMS only you can consider a LUT box. Which is far cheaper than a video processor, where Lumagen is the only game in town these days.
thanks for the response. i've just gotten my 65e6p and am playing with a bit. first impressions are lots of potential but color out of the box, and after blindly plugging in others' folks values, the color doesn't do it for me and i definitely need a calibration.

since i last used calibration tools, i've moved all my computers to Linux, and i've failed to get calman enthusiast to run under wine, so my next step is to see if i can get calman running in virtual box.

i don't find much of my content in 1080p (mostly 1080i/720p captured via SageTV) so for now, i'm using the iscan duo to ouput 1080p to the LG OLED..............comparisons will follow when i get around to it. initially the iscan duo defaulted to VGA out (whatever that means, i've forgotten after all these years) after connecting the LG, so i manually set the output back to 1080p which I felt looked better with a short, late at night comparison.

supposedly, DVDO is working on a 4k capable box...............i guess we'll see, but for now dvdo @ 1080p into OLED is looking sweet after a highly non-critical view.

while i'm a technical geek, but haven't followed the last 10 years in color wars, hdr, hdmi2.0, etc so i've got some research to do before i know enough to even begin asking questions about CMS.

on the other hand, my old JVC, while giving me a good 12+ years, had been succumbing to the "dreaded creeping yellow blob" so when the bulb died for the 2nd time, i had a good excuse to upgrade................and 65" >>> 56" (and after two weeks of watching a 32" LCD, my wife was ready too).
post #3903 of 3905 Old 03-20-2017, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Yes and no:-) yeah the scalers have gotten better. And most material is 1080p so they have become far less critical. But the CMS on the LG Oleds is flawed (just look at the reviews). Things I would personally miss are:

- an actual CMS that works
- good auto switching
- the info pane telling me about the signal (bit depth, chroma subsampling, frequency)
- the fact that it can fuction as a pattern generator

For an CMS only you can consider a LUT box. Which is far cheaper than a video processor, where Lumagen is the only game in town these days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRD57 View Post
Dammit - just when I thought we'd gotten past outboard processors you come up with this...I'd never heard of a LUT-box...there goes another $700...
hopefully a lot less? iScan mini is only $299 and scales to 4K resolution (not sure if it does CMS/LUT or not).
has anyone tried an iScan mini with a 4K OLED?

post #3904 of 3905 Old 03-20-2017, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Check here http://www.displaycalibrations.com/eecolor_order.html

Is it NOT 4K though. Where does that DVDO rumour come from? The Duo is great, too bad they abandoned it. They appear to be doing the same with their 4K TPG. Lumagen's support is way better but their price is a lot higher too.

My gear: Panasonic TH-42PF11EK pro plasma display + TX-P55VT60E -- Iscan Duo video processor -- i1 display 3 colorimeter -- i1 pro 2 spectrometer
post #3905 of 3905 Old Today, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Check here http://www.displaycalibrations.com/eecolor_order.html

Is it NOT 4K though. Where does that DVDO rumour come from? The Duo is great, too bad they abandoned it. They appear to be doing the same with their 4K TPG. Lumagen's support is way better but their price is a lot higher too.
http://dvdo.com/dvdo-transitions-bac...ity-solutions/

i like their timing.........maybe they were waiting for me to get a new TV after all these years

by the way, while i haven't gotten around to doing any color calibration, using the dvdo iscan duo to process my video inputs to 1080p into the LG 65e6p gives a stunningly 3D like image........haven't tried bypassing the iscan duo (yet) since it also serves as my hdmi selector.

i'll try Calman auto-calibration with the dvdo as soon as i can figure out how to run Calman on a linux laptop (i've eliminated all my windows OS machines since I last used calman many years ago).

Last edited by cat6man; Today at 05:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page