New DVDO iScan Duo [2.0 firmware released] - Page 131 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #3901 of 3923 Old 03-18-2017, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Red face

Dammit - just when I thought we'd gotten past outboard processors you come up with this...I'd never heard of a LUT-box...there goes another $700...

At least all the voices in my head are singing...
...unfortunately just not in tune...
Sony 65A1E | Marantz AV8802A Pre/Pro (7.2.4) [Getting DV update- YEA!] | (3) Beloved Adcom Amps | OPPO 203 | ROKU Ultra | D*TV HR-54 w/c61k | X-Box One S | Steiger-Dynamics LEET HTPC | Metra DPL certified passive cable; Metra 18 Gbps TARGA 1 Module Ultra HD active Cable | Epson UB5040 | Artcoustic Speakers] | (2) Pio Kuro |

Last edited by JRD57; 03-18-2017 at 04:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3902 of 3923 Old 03-20-2017, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen1000 View Post
Yes and no:-) yeah the scalers have gotten better. And most material is 1080p so they have become far less critical. But the CMS on the LG Oleds is flawed (just look at the reviews). Things I would personally miss are:

- an actual CMS that works
- good auto switching
- the info pane telling me about the signal (bit depth, chroma subsampling, frequency)
- the fact that it can fuction as a pattern generator

For an CMS only you can consider a LUT box. Which is far cheaper than a video processor, where Lumagen is the only game in town these days.
thanks for the response. i've just gotten my 65e6p and am playing with a bit. first impressions are lots of potential but color out of the box, and after blindly plugging in others' folks values, the color doesn't do it for me and i definitely need a calibration.

since i last used calibration tools, i've moved all my computers to Linux, and i've failed to get calman enthusiast to run under wine, so my next step is to see if i can get calman running in virtual box.

i don't find much of my content in 1080p (mostly 1080i/720p captured via SageTV) so for now, i'm using the iscan duo to ouput 1080p to the LG OLED..............comparisons will follow when i get around to it. initially the iscan duo defaulted to VGA out (whatever that means, i've forgotten after all these years) after connecting the LG, so i manually set the output back to 1080p which I felt looked better with a short, late at night comparison.

supposedly, DVDO is working on a 4k capable box...............i guess we'll see, but for now dvdo @ 1080p into OLED is looking sweet after a highly non-critical view.

while i'm a technical geek, but haven't followed the last 10 years in color wars, hdr, hdmi2.0, etc so i've got some research to do before i know enough to even begin asking questions about CMS.

on the other hand, my old JVC, while giving me a good 12+ years, had been succumbing to the "dreaded creeping yellow blob" so when the bulb died for the 2nd time, i had a good excuse to upgrade................and 65" >>> 56" (and after two weeks of watching a 32" LCD, my wife was ready too).
post #3903 of 3923 Old 03-20-2017, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Yes and no:-) yeah the scalers have gotten better. And most material is 1080p so they have become far less critical. But the CMS on the LG Oleds is flawed (just look at the reviews). Things I would personally miss are:

- an actual CMS that works
- good auto switching
- the info pane telling me about the signal (bit depth, chroma subsampling, frequency)
- the fact that it can fuction as a pattern generator

For an CMS only you can consider a LUT box. Which is far cheaper than a video processor, where Lumagen is the only game in town these days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRD57 View Post
Dammit - just when I thought we'd gotten past outboard processors you come up with this...I'd never heard of a LUT-box...there goes another $700...
hopefully a lot less? iScan mini is only $299 and scales to 4K resolution (not sure if it does CMS/LUT or not).
has anyone tried an iScan mini with a 4K OLED?

post #3904 of 3923 Old 03-20-2017, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Check here http://www.displaycalibrations.com/eecolor_order.html

Is it NOT 4K though. Where does that DVDO rumour come from? The Duo is great, too bad they abandoned it. They appear to be doing the same with their 4K TPG. Lumagen's support is way better but their price is a lot higher too.

My gear: Panasonic TH-42PF11EK pro plasma display + TX-P55VT60E -- Iscan Duo video processor -- i1 display 3 colorimeter -- i1 pro 2 spectrometer
post #3905 of 3923 Old 03-22-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Check here http://www.displaycalibrations.com/eecolor_order.html

Is it NOT 4K though. Where does that DVDO rumour come from? The Duo is great, too bad they abandoned it. They appear to be doing the same with their 4K TPG. Lumagen's support is way better but their price is a lot higher too.
http://dvdo.com/dvdo-transitions-bac...ity-solutions/

i like their timing.........maybe they were waiting for me to get a new TV after all these years

by the way, while i haven't gotten around to doing any color calibration, using the dvdo iscan duo to process my video inputs to 1080p into the LG 65e6p gives a stunningly 3D like image........haven't tried bypassing the iscan duo (yet) since it also serves as my hdmi selector.

i'll try Calman auto-calibration with the dvdo as soon as i can figure out how to run Calman on a linux laptop (i've eliminated all my windows OS machines since I last used calman many years ago).

Last edited by cat6man; 03-22-2017 at 05:14 PM.
post #3906 of 3923 Old 04-15-2017, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Hey all

So I picked up a DVDO DUO, and I am having an issue I cannot figure out.. I cannot get any audio at all out of the DUO, it is connected to my Marantz 6011 receiver, video is passing though fine, but 0 audio from anything! I have it set up where video goes into the DUO then out of the DUO to the receiver, and HDMI to the TV.. I even tried changing the settings on the DUO to HDMI Audio out, but nothing even that way...

I really want to get this going, just spent a few hours labeling inputs and tweeking everything, but just cannot get any sound, I know the DUO is 1.3 and the Marantz is 2.0a, but even just standard optical will not output sound.. I am lost!

Thanks
post #3907 of 3923 Old 04-16-2017, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by balboarules View Post
Hey all

So I picked up a DVDO DUO, and I am having an issue I cannot figure out.. I cannot get any audio at all out of the DUO, it is connected to my Marantz 6011 receiver, video is passing though fine, but 0 audio from anything! I have it set up where video goes into the DUO then out of the DUO to the receiver, and HDMI to the TV.. I even tried changing the settings on the DUO to HDMI Audio out, but nothing even that way...

I really want to get this going, just spent a few hours labeling inputs and tweeking everything, but just cannot get any sound, I know the DUO is 1.3 and the Marantz is 2.0a, but even just standard optical will not output sound.. I am lost!

Thanks
Hi Balborules,
You may have a hdmi loop which would stop your audio from working. Could you describe how you have cabled your sources, receiver and duo together?

If you purchased the duo second hand I would also do a factory reset on it so you are starting at a known point.

Usually you would run everything into your receiver. You then take the hdmi out from your receiver and connect it to an input on the Duo. You then connect output 1 of the duo to your TV.

Sources -> receiver -> duo -> display

Regards,
Stephen
post #3908 of 3923 Old 04-16-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whmacs View Post
Hi Balborules,
You may have a hdmi loop which would stop your audio from working. Could you describe how you have cabled your sources, receiver and duo together?

If you purchased the duo second hand I would also do a factory reset on it so you are starting at a known point.

Usually you would run everything into your receiver. You then take the hdmi out from your receiver and connect it to an input on the Duo. You then connect output 1 of the duo to your TV.

Sources -> receiver -> duo -> display

Regards,
Stephen
Hi Stephen

First, I appreciate your help! I did buy it second hand but it had a factory reset done to it when I got it in this week, I had an Edge in the past, and I wired it the same way, ran all my HDMI to the Edge, then to the receiver then the receiver out to the TV.

Can you explain an HDMI loop to me? I wanted to reduce the switching of inputs on the receiver, and I have a few 4K sources going into the receiver as well, that would not pass though the Duo if I went that way.

Also, very odd, I reversed everything today, and for some reason my Toshiba HD DVD player will not display a picture any longer, I have 2 of the same model so I switched them out, and still nothing.. I even tried HD DVD straight to the TV, and nothing. Would you have any idea as to why it would play video but no audio to the receiver, yet I connected it straight to the TV and there WAS sound from the TV speakers.. Really driving me nuts on this one!

I would think HDMI 1.3 should be able to be fed through a receiver that every input is 2.0a, But any HDMI INTO the receiver has sound. And the Toshiba is just displaying on the screen not compatible with source...

I believe the software is version 2.7 so it is not old firmware.

Thanks again, look forward to your response.
post #3909 of 3923 Old 04-16-2017, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 116
First things first. Are you 100% certain that you have the audio output set correctly on the DVDO? There are a lot of options there. The DVDO can take in audio via one cable (say optical) and output it to another (say HDMI), and vice versa. Then there is also the audio only HDMI out.

Note, I have the DVDO Duo working with a Marantz pre/pro 7005 and another working with a Marantz pre/pro 8800a, and both work fine.
post #3910 of 3923 Old 04-16-2017, 11:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Hi Stephen

First, I appreciate your help! I did buy it second hand but it had a factory reset done to it when I got it in this week, I had an Edge in the past, and I wired it the same way, ran all my HDMI to the Edge, then to the receiver then the receiver out to the TV.

Can you explain an HDMI loop to me? I wanted to reduce the switching of inputs on the receiver, and I have a few 4K sources going into the receiver as well, that would not pass though the Duo if I went that way.

Also, very odd, I reversed everything today, and for some reason my Toshiba HD DVD player will not display a picture any longer, I have 2 of the same model so I switched them out, and still nothing.. I even tried HD DVD straight to the TV, and nothing. Would you have any idea as to why it would play video but no audio to the receiver, yet I connected it straight to the TV and there WAS sound from the TV speakers.. Really driving me nuts on this one!

I would think HDMI 1.3 should be able to be fed through a receiver that every input is 2.0a, But any HDMI INTO the receiver has sound. And the Toshiba is just displaying on the screen not compatible with source...

I believe the software is version 2.7 so it is not old firmware.

Thanks again, look forward to your response.
Hi Balborules,
A HDMI loop is when you have devices connected to the DVDO Duo, devices connected to the receiver and the receiver connected to the Duo. You can create a "loop" and HDMI does not like that at all. I've had this exact problem with my Yamaha CX-5100 and Duo. This caused audio to not function as the CX-5100 can not complete the handshake correctly. In my case I had a Panasonic UB900 connected to my projector and its audio output connected to my CX-5100. My CX-5100 connects to an input on the Duo. Another HDMI cable from the duo was also connected to the projector. The below created a loop with causing no audio from the CX-5100:
UB900 audio-> CX5100 -> Duo -> projector
UB900 video->Projector
In this case a HDMI loop was created if the Duo was powered on.

I normally have devices configured as:
source devices-> CX-5100->Duo out1->TV
or
source devices-> CX-5100->Duo out 2-> Projector

As Chexi1 has suggested, let's break the problem down. I would firstly check that the Duo is working ok. Disconnect your receiver from the duo. Just connect one device, say a blu-ray player or cable box to hdmi input 1 on the duo. Now connect output 1 from the duo to your TV. Does sound and video pass through the Duo correctly and you can see /hear the output on your TV? You can try these combinations:

blu-ray -> duo - > TV
blu-ray -> duo -> receiver -> TV
blu-ray -> receiver -> duo -> TV

Which ones do not give sound or video?

Other items to check:
Try different inputs on the Duo (in case an input is bad).
Try different HDMI cables , just in case a cable is bad.

Regards,
Stephen
post #3911 of 3923 Old 04-17-2017, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chexi1 View Post
First things first. Are you 100% certain that you have the audio output set correctly on the DVDO? There are a lot of options there. The DVDO can take in audio via one cable (say optical) and output it to another (say HDMI), and vice versa. Then there is also the audio only HDMI out.

Note, I have the DVDO Duo working with a Marantz pre/pro 7005 and another working with a Marantz pre/pro 8800a, and both work fine.

Thank you

I had all devices going into the HDMI inputs, I tried both outputs 1 and 2 into the receiver, and made the changes in the menu, I also try changing out the settings to output audio only to the receiver, and could not get any sound. Last night I did a full reset to factory defaults and plan on trying again.
post #3912 of 3923 Old 04-17-2017, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whmacs View Post
Hi Balborules,
A HDMI loop is when you have devices connected to the DVDO Duo, devices connected to the receiver and the receiver connected to the Duo. You can create a "loop" and HDMI does not like that at all. I've had this exact problem with my Yamaha CX-5100 and Duo. This caused audio to not function as the CX-5100 can not complete the handshake correctly. In my case I had a Panasonic UB900 connected to my projector and its audio output connected to my CX-5100. My CX-5100 connects to an input on the Duo. Another HDMI cable from the duo was also connected to the projector. The below created a loop with causing no audio from the CX-5100:
UB900 audio-> CX5100 -> Duo -> projector
UB900 video->Projector
In this case a HDMI loop was created if the Duo was powered on.

I normally have devices configured as:
source devices-> CX-5100->Duo out1->TV
or
source devices-> CX-5100->Duo out 2-> Projector

As Chexi1 has suggested, let's break the problem down. I would firstly check that the Duo is working ok. Disconnect your receiver from the duo. Just connect one device, say a blu-ray player or cable box to hdmi input 1 on the duo. Now connect output 1 from the duo to your TV. Does sound and video pass through the Duo correctly and you can see /hear the output on your TV? You can try these combinations:

blu-ray -> duo - > TV
blu-ray -> duo -> receiver -> TV
blu-ray -> receiver -> duo -> TV

Which ones do not give sound or video?

Other items to check:
Try different inputs on the Duo (in case an input is bad).
Try different HDMI cables , just in case a cable is bad.

Regards,
Stephen

Stephen

Thank you for taking the time to explain this to me, I decided to do a full factory reset on the unit again, but it was way to late to start switching all the HDMI's around again. I am going to try your approach, and try one device at a time. I have a feeling there is something flaky on this unit, as there are times where I see a bunch of blue speckles on the left side of the screen, I have to unplug the unit and plug it back in to make this go away. I ordered a new power supply for the unit, I just hope it is not a bad capacitor inside the Duo itself, on my Edge, I had the internal power supply board go bad.

I am going to go back to square one on this, and I will post the results, I have some new ideas after reading the posts here.

Thank you
Steve
post #3913 of 3923 Old 04-22-2017, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Stephen

Thank you for taking the time to explain this to me, I decided to do a full factory reset on the unit again, but it was way to late to start switching all the HDMI's around again. I am going to try your approach, and try one device at a time. I have a feeling there is something flaky on this unit, as there are times where I see a bunch of blue speckles on the left side of the screen, I have to unplug the unit and plug it back in to make this go away. I ordered a new power supply for the unit, I just hope it is not a bad capacitor inside the Duo itself, on my Edge, I had the internal power supply board go bad.

I am going to go back to square one on this, and I will post the results, I have some new ideas after reading the posts here.

Thank you
Steve

I had a Duo for several years and every so often it would get the blue specs and some odd green artifacts around text. Unlike your case, the specks were over the entire screen. Once I rebooted, the artifacts would stay away for several months. The audio worked fine with my Marantz 7010 which is pretty close to your 6011. Of course it should work with just about any AVR. I may have missed this but do you get audio when connected directly to your TV?
post #3914 of 3923 Old 04-22-2017, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seryl View Post
I had a Duo for several years and every so often it would get the blue specs and some odd green artifacts around text. Unlike your case, the specks were over the entire screen. Once I rebooted, the artifacts would stay away for several months. The audio worked fine with my Marantz 7010 which is pretty close to your 6011. Of course it should work with just about any AVR. I may have missed this but do you get audio when connected directly to your TV?

Yes, actually I do get audio when it is connected straight to the TV.
post #3915 of 3923 Old 04-22-2017, 11:11 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Yes, actually I do get audio when it is connected straight to the TV.
Maybe try connecting the audio only HDMI from the Duo to the TV just to know if it is outputting sound. You would have to make sure the soundtrack was playable by your TV and not something it can't handle.
post #3916 of 3923 Old 04-23-2017, 07:11 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I have the audio only output to my yamaha 3050 Avr.

I hope they release a new 4k version of the dvdo duo.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

TV: Panasonic 55" VT65 Plasma Surround: Yamaha RXA3050 + Orbs Audio Mod2 7.1.2 + SVS SB12-NSD Stereo: Yamaha AS500 + Kef Q300 Processor: DVDO Duo + Darbee 5000S + Iscan Mini Players: HDI Dune Solo4K / VU+ Duo2 NAS: Qnap TVS-871 Pro i7 16GB
post #3917 of 3923 Old 07-24-2017, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got two audio glitches. One time the audio was significantly delayed and another time, the audio was muted. Both issues got fixed after a reboot. I have v2.32 Build 0.79d . Bought it on ebay an using it since three days.

Where can we find the latest update and do you think it should help prevent those issues?
post #3918 of 3923 Old 07-24-2017, 08:23 PM

Talking

I got the latest update from DVDO support. See attachment!
Attached Files
File Type: zip DUO_241_079u.zip (801.6 KB, 24 views)
post #3919 of 3923 Old 08-11-2017, 11:47 AM

dvdo iscan duo softw. 2.41

Hi,
Please, can you send to my email adress the latest update software?
Thanks in advance, Jo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescale View Post
You're right. I'm on 2.41 The versions between 1.03 and 2.32 are all beta versions. I wonder if the same was true for 2.40 and 2.41. If I remember correctly, 2.40 simply added the ISF profiles, and 2.41 corrected the instability 2.40 caused. I'm not 100% sure about that, however.

Please, can you send to my email adress the latest update software?
Thanks in advance, Jo

Yikes, that's a long cable. Is an active HDMI cable? I've heard anything in the 50ft or greater neighborhood can cause instability if it's not active.I have no idea if that could be causing your problems, but I just don't know.

Cheap Monoprice HDMI cables. All of them are high speed with ethernet.

Can you bypass the outboard box to test whether or not things are stable without it? I'm still not clear what purpose the outboard box serves. If it's just to allow you to switch HDMI ports, is there any reason not to use the Duo (assuming - and this is a major assumption - you can get it stable).

Yes. I have an Emotiva XMC-1.
post #3920 of 3923 Old 10-09-2017, 03:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I have an odd circumstance and wonder if anyone else here has had it.

My Duo doesn't respond to its remote when it comes to the power button. I have to turn the unit on and off manually. Once on, everything else seems to work. I tried a hard restart (unplugging and plugging in) which didn't work. Per Ken at DVDO, I tried a factory reset, which worked for about a week, but the unit's gone back to being unresponsive. I also tried new batteries in the remote, which had no effect also. If I can find the remote from my previous unit, I'll try that.

The unit is discontinued, and DVDO doesn't do repairs anymore due to parts unavailability, so I can continue using the Duo as is currently, go direct into my Kuro 111FD (which will affect PQ for my LD player), or swallow hard and go after a Lumagen. I lean toward option 2 at the moment.

VPI, Grado, SME, Pioneer Elite, Magnum Dynalab, Oppo, DVDO, McIntosh, JJ, Mirage, Kimber, Transparent, MIT, Pangea, Wireworld, Shunyata, PS Audio, Furman, Sanus

Last edited by prepress; 10-09-2017 at 01:32 PM.
post #3921 of 3923 Old 10-10-2017, 08:58 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
I have an odd circumstance and wonder if anyone else here has had it.

My Duo doesn't respond to its remote when it comes to the power button. I have to turn the unit on and off manually. Once on, everything else seems to work. I tried a hard restart (unplugging and plugging in) which didn't work. Per Ken at DVDO, I tried a factory reset, which worked for about a week, but the unit's gone back to being unresponsive. I also tried new batteries in the remote, which had no effect also. If I can find the remote from my previous unit, I'll try that.

The unit is discontinued, and DVDO doesn't do repairs anymore due to parts unavailability, so I can continue using the Duo as is currently, go direct into my Kuro 111FD (which will affect PQ for my LD player), or swallow hard and go after a Lumagen. I lean toward option 2 at the moment.
Hi,

DVDO apparently bought back the rights and I think will be working on new products but when is the question,

Lumagen's are great but expensive but do constantly provide new firmware with features and bug fixes even for legacy products.

Thanks

TV: Panasonic 55" VT65 Plasma Surround: Yamaha RXA3050 + Orbs Audio Mod2 7.1.2 + SVS SB12-NSD Stereo: Yamaha AS500 + Kef Q300 Processor: DVDO Duo + Darbee 5000S + Iscan Mini Players: HDI Dune Solo4K / VU+ Duo2 NAS: Qnap TVS-871 Pro i7 16GB
post #3922 of 3923 Old 10-10-2017, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by a5ian300zx View Post
Hi,

DVDO apparently bought back the rights and I think will be working on new products but when is the question,

Lumagen's are great but expensive but do constantly provide new firmware with features and bug fixes even for legacy products.

Thanks

Problem solved, apparently.

I got the remote from the previous Duo and it's working. I've no idea why the power button the newer unit came with wouldn't work. Perhaps I sat on it and damaged the button somehow? It doesn't feel any different. Anyway, I'll keep an eye on this. The factory reset worked for a few days then I started having the same trouble again; we'll see if that re-occurs.
a5ian300zx likes this.

VPI, Grado, SME, Pioneer Elite, Magnum Dynalab, Oppo, DVDO, McIntosh, JJ, Mirage, Kimber, Transparent, MIT, Pangea, Wireworld, Shunyata, PS Audio, Furman, Sanus
post #3923 of 3923 Old 10-13-2017, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 59
My DVDO is very temperamental responding to remote control commands. Whether is the factory remote or the programmed Harmony remote. What I have been able to gather is that the angle of the ir sensor is very small. Whichever remote I'm using has to be nearly perfectly level to the ir sensor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page