post #721 of 3841 Old 02-27-2010, 08:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

welcome back Joe regarding the CMS awaiting for my calibrator to have a go.

Awesome. Can't wait to get your feedback.

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 3841 Old 02-27-2010, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am considering purchasing the IScan Duo. I have read a few reviews and so far I am impressed with its capabilities for the price.

I have a Panasonic TC-P65S1 1080p plasma set. I feed it from several sources including a Directv HR-21 DVR, Sony BDP-N460 BluRay Player, Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD player and some 480i from the net via a PC that feeds the Directv STB via DLNA. All of this routes through a Yamaha RX-V1800 receiver.

I have calibrated the set using an EyeOne Display LT and Colorimetre HCFR software and found it improved the picture considerably. The greyscale is pretty good. However, the color is still a bit off and really cannot be practically adjusted even in the service menu of the set.

Given my viewing habits I am looking to improve grayscale, color and 1080i broadcasts. I do some 480i viewing but not alot. I also watch some standard DVDs, but not alot.

So, I was wondering what others experiences are with improving grayscale, color and 1080i broadcasts using the IScan Duo.

Thanks,
Paul
post #723 of 3841 Old 02-27-2010, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 97
I had a Panasonic 1080p plasma hooked up with a Edge, not a DUO, with similar sources and got no improvement or actually worse (cable TV) picture quality. I think the Panasonic plasmas already have good video processing. I would try it only on an audition basis.
post #724 of 3841 Old 02-27-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlPaul View Post

I am considering purchasing the IScan Duo. I have read a few reviews and so far I am impressed with its capabilities for the price.

I have a Panasonic TC-P65S1 1080p plasma set. I feed it from several sources including a Directv HR-21 DVR, Sony BDP-N460 BluRay Player, Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD player and some 480i from the net via a PC that feeds the Directv STB via DLNA. All of this routes through a Yamaha RX-V1800 receiver.

I have calibrated the set using an EyeOne Display LT and Colorimetre HCFR software and found it improved the picture considerably. The greyscale is pretty good. However, the color is still a bit off and really cannot be practically adjusted even in the service menu of the set.

Given my viewing habits I am looking to improve grayscale, color and 1080i broadcasts. I do some 480i viewing but not alot. I also watch some standard DVDs, but not alot.

So, I was wondering what others experiences are with improving grayscale, color and 1080i broadcasts using the IScan Duo.

Thanks,
Paul

Hi Paul, once I heard this was capable of CMS I picked one up for my Pioneer 6020FD. I am only calibrating mine with a sypder 3 probe right now but the results are impressive. You can dial in the RGB color to match your CIE graph in HCFR which worked great for me except for the blue channel, but I think this is a limitation of the spyder 3 probe and not with the Duo. There are no adjustments for secondaries. The 11 point grayscale adjustments are simple to use with HCFR and should help you smooth out youre grayscale. These are the only advanced features for CMS that it has.

So I bought this for the CMS and as an added bonus I got a video processor. The more I watch it the more I am impressed with its processing capabilities. Especially with 1080i/720p broadcast and 480p DVD. I did not notice as much improvement with blu-ray. With my cable I used to have alot of the blocking artifacts with fast moving picture and now it looks real smooth and clean. most of my 480p veiwing nowadays is done streaming divx movies from my computer to my PS3 which if I output in 480P the Duo will use what is called PReP. I believe it stands for progressive reprocessing which I also believe it takes a 480p and converts it back to its original 480i and then correctly puts it back to 480p and then upconverts it to whatever resolution u want. So basically its best to leave you upscalling DVD player output in either 480i or 480p.

The way I have mine setup is I have my PS3, XBOX360, toshiba hda1, HD Cable PVR connected to my Duo, and one HDMI cable going to my TV and another from the audio only HDMI out going to my reciever. The component I switch is the DUO, my reciever always stays on the same input. The remote that it comes with works but it is cheap feeling and sometimes have to press a button multiple times for the Duo to recieve it. I recommend using a universal or RS-232 automation if you have it.

I hope this was helpful. I would deffinetly buy one again.
post #725 of 3841 Old 03-01-2010, 01:54 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 290
One thing I like about DVDO is at least you can go back to the old firmware with no hassles. Ive noticed one thing with the new firmware Im having an ever increasing handshake issue. Im going to wait until there is that fix as clefranc mentioned.

Frank
post #726 of 3841 Old 03-01-2010, 02:13 AM
CIH USER

Before I go and replace one of my BD players can the Duo move subtitles?

Frank
post #727 of 3841 Old 03-01-2010, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

One thing I like about DVDO is at least you can go back to the old firmware with no hassles. Ive noticed one thing with the new firmware Im having an ever increasing handshake issue. Im going to wait until there is that fix as clefranc mentioned.

Actually, I've noticed that too. Not all the time, but more than before.
post #728 of 3841 Old 03-01-2010, 06:41 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

Actually, I've noticed that too. Not all the time, but more than before.

I found both my Denon BD to suffer from it the most.

Frank
post #729 of 3841 Old 03-01-2010, 08:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Heh, and here my handshake issues seemed to be improved. Go figure.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #730 of 3841 Old 03-01-2010, 09:34 AM

When doing a Greyscale/Gamma. I start with 100% pattern, use the luminance at 100%. I then start at 10% and set appropriate levels for a Gamma of 2.3.

When I get back to 100% it no longer matches my start value. Am I doing something wrong?

How and why would you need to set 0%? (You cannot get a reading and there should not be anything visible anyway.)
post #731 of 3841 Old 03-01-2010, 10:03 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q of BanditZ View Post

Heh, and here my handshake issues seemed to be improved. Go figure.

Well Ive just tried it tonight with the previous firmware and its all good again. Im going to wait this time before I upgrade. I can wait for the CMS.

Frank
post #732 of 3841 Old 03-01-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:

Before I go and replace one of my BD players can the Duo move subtitles?

AFIK this has to be done in the player. As soon as the videostream is out of the player the subtitles are locked. I have the Philips 9100 BluRay player that does it, the Philips 9500 player does it, and the Oppo 83 can do this with latest firmware. Haven't checked the new Oppo 80 player, so not sure if that can do it.

Not sure if the Philips players are available outside of Europe, leaving only Oppo as a option for the US.

Gøran
post #733 of 3841 Old 03-03-2010, 07:28 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran View Post

AFIK this has to be done in the player. As soon as the videostream is out of the player the subtitles are locked. I have the Philips 9100 BluRay player that does it, the Philips 9500 player does it, and the Oppo 83 can do this with latest firmware. Haven't checked the new Oppo 80 player, so not sure if that can do it.

Not sure if the Philips players are available outside of Europe, leaving only Oppo as a option for the US.

Gøran

Thanks Goran

Frank
post #734 of 3841 Old 03-04-2010, 12:25 AM

Is it me or does the automatic input switching not work (on firmware 2.0)? I just moved from an EDGE to a new Duo. On the EDGE automatic input switching always worked but I can't get it to work on the Duo.
I only use HDMI devices. Two of them always have their HDMI outputs active (very annoying) so I gave them the lowest priority. But still any device with a higher priority does not automatically gets detected and switched to when I turn it on.

I also have one device that gives me an "your display does not support HDCP" error about 5 seconds after I switch to it. When I turn the Duo off and on again with that device active and it input selected the error goes away.
Is it worth reporting this to DVDO? It's a Humax iHDR-5050C HD digital cable receiver/recorder that is specific for the European market.
post #735 of 3841 Old 03-04-2010, 07:01 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENN0 View Post

I also have one device that gives me an "your display does not support HDCP" error about 5 seconds after I switch to it. When I turn the Duo off and on again with that device active and it input selected the error goes away.
Is it worth reporting this to DVDO? It's a Humax iHDR-5050C HD digital cable receiver/recorder that is specific for the European market.

I get that HDCP problem also but from what I've been told there should be a fIx for it soon, well hopefully soon.

Frank
post #736 of 3841 Old 03-04-2010, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran View Post

Some people in the US have been using Philips players to do Subtitle Shift. You can order them from Hong Kong, which is Region A for Blu-ray just like the US.
post #737 of 3841 Old 03-04-2010, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENN0 View Post

Is it me or does the automatic input switching not work (on firmware 2.0)? I just moved from an EDGE to a new Duo. On the EDGE automatic input switching always worked but I can't get it to work on the Duo.
I only use HDMI devices. Two of them always have their HDMI outputs active (very annoying) so I gave them the lowest priority. But still any device with a higher priority does not automatically gets detected and switched to when I turn it on...

I just got my Duo yesterday and I noticed the same thing. It seems like the first time a device is active on an input it will disable the "AUTO" setting and select the particular input of the device. After letting the Duo "see" all of the devices then I reset the Input Select to AUTO and then it worked as expected.
post #738 of 3841 Old 03-04-2010, 10:35 AM

Liked: 14
I wanted to check with everyone on this thread and see if I am the only one experiencing audio dropouts with Dolby TrueHD tracks coming from my Oppo BDP-83 player. If I switch to anything else, be it lossy Dolby Digital, DTS (lossy or lossless), DSD, doesn't matter, I don't get random dropouts. The minute I use Dolby TrueHD, my audio is completely inconsistent with several dropouts by the minute. I have yet to update my Duo to the latest 2.0 firmware but will be doing so shortly. I hoped to get some feedback first before making that jump.
post #739 of 3841 Old 03-05-2010, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlPaul View Post

I just got my Duo yesterday and I noticed the same thing. It seems like the first time a device is active on an input it will disable the "AUTO" setting and select the particular input of the device. After letting the Duo "see" all of the devices then I reset the Input Select to AUTO and then it worked as expected.

Thanks I'll have a look at that tonight.
post #740 of 3841 Old 03-05-2010, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
The CMS on the Duo works great! I've always had a problem with green on my JVC RS-1 projector, but not anymore! Was able to align all the colors correctly on the CIE Chart. For grayscale, I had to lower RED across all of the IRE increments with some slight tweaking of blue & green. Interface works really easy. I'm using CalmanV3.6 and a Spyder2 meter. SJ
post #741 of 3841 Old 03-05-2010, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Hey SJ: Sounds good; I take it there was no negative impact on your secondary colours as some had with the HDP. If so what I'm not sure about if that was a function of your particular colour gamut i.e. luck or is there something in the Duo software that prevents significant negative impacts on the secondary colours.
post #742 of 3841 Old 03-05-2010, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
By secondary, do you mean like yellow, etc.? Magenta was small amount off (VERY little). Everthing else dead on... SJ
post #743 of 3841 Old 03-05-2010, 06:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 117
The CMS in the Duo is nothing short of spectacular. I amazed each time I "tweak" the colors with it.

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
post #744 of 3841 Old 03-05-2010, 11:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post

By secondary, do you mean like yellow, etc.? Magenta was small amount off (VERY little). Everthing else dead on... SJ

Yeah that's what I meant; thanks for the info.
post #745 of 3841 Old 03-05-2010, 11:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

The CMS in the Duo is nothing short of spectacular. I amazed each time I "tweak" the colors with it.

So the lack of luminance and secondary controls does not interfer with generating an accurate colour gamut?
post #746 of 3841 Old 03-06-2010, 04:06 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Wont be able to use it until they have a fix on the handshake issue.

Frank
post #747 of 3841 Old 03-06-2010, 01:31 PM

Liked: 13
when will this firmware come out of BETA? I upgraded to 2.0 beta and lost all my settings... don't feel like going through all the configuration if the 2.0 final will be released soon...

also, are there plans for simultaneous HDMI output? that was the reason i bought this unit, as it advertised this feature... was severely disappointed that it does not support simultaneous output...
post #748 of 3841 Old 03-06-2010, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I found both my Denon BD to suffer from it the most.

I have it mainly with the cable box. I had my third dropout last night since installing the 2.0 beta. I even had a dropout or two with my Oppo 83. Haven't seen it on the 09FD yet.
post #749 of 3841 Old 03-06-2010, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

With these dropouts and handshake issues: are all these occurring with equipment connected via HDMI, with one cable carrying audio and video?
post #750 of 3841 Old 03-06-2010, 07:36 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

With these dropouts and handshake issues: are all these occurring with equipment connected via HDMI, with one cable carrying audio and video?

I went back to the last update and it's all good no more handshake issue.

Frank
Reply Video Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page