New DVDO iScan Duo [2.0 firmware released] - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 3835 Old 10-05-2009, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 228
I might be interested if the picture quality was improved over the Edge.

It what areas, beside connectivity, will this unit be superior?

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 3835 Old 10-05-2009, 06:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDgaming42 View Post

My guess would be $1100. Retail of $1300 - $200 preorder price, unless AVS is discounting the $200 off an already discounted price...

Amazon, for one, lists Oct. 9 as their release date at the MSRP of $1299.

At that rate, I would guess anyone under NDA is going to be allowed to talk about the unit pretty soon and all the rest of it.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #123 of 3835 Old 10-07-2009, 06:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Anything new yet?

DVDO: Please lift those NDAs soon. Thanks.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #124 of 3835 Old 10-08-2009, 11:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q of BanditZ View Post

Anything new yet?

DVDO: Please lift those NDAs soon. Thanks.

From what you just said I guess there was a beta program in place and people have been testing the DUO for a while?

I'm hoping mine will be here by tomorrow. I ordered from DVDO.
UPS is showing delivery for tomorrow so hopefully they won't screw it up.

Hopefully I can just unplug everything from my EDGE and plug it into the DUO and be up and running.
Plus now I'll be able to connect my OPPO SACD/DVD-A player since the DUO is supposed to handle DSD over HDMI.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #125 of 3835 Old 10-08-2009, 11:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

From what you just said I guess there was a beta program in place and people have been testing the DUO for a while?

I don't know if there was an outright program but I do know that x unknown number of indivduals were/are beta testers.

That, and you had this: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1180511

And yet it's still strangely and eerily quiet.

Quote:

I'm hoping mine will be here by tomorrow. I ordered from DVDO.
UPS is showing delivery for tomorrow so hopefully they won't screw it up.

Hopefully I can just uplug everything from my EDGE and plug it into the DUO and be up and running.
Plus now I'll be able to connect my OPPO SACD/DVD-A player since the DUO is supposed to handle DSD over HDMI.

I'll look forward to finally hearing from someone about this.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #126 of 3835 Old 10-08-2009, 09:37 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 195
I noticed in the manual that it has active aspect ratio and setting it for 2:35:1 material mind my ignorance but does that mean it able to convert all AR to 2:35:1 (that is 1:78/1:85:1 to 2:35:1)?

And if that is the case would that have an effect on pq?

One more thing can someone ( Denon owner actually) test if the HD audio passes through no problems? When I had the edge they had that issue hopefully they won't have that problem.

This processor is getting released in Australia in the next 2 weeks.

Thank you

Frank

post #127 of 3835 Old 10-09-2009, 06:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

And now we're at supposed release date.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #128 of 3835 Old 10-09-2009, 06:48 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

And now we're at supposed release date.

I want to order it and hopefully it does what I require but I guess I just have to wait and read people impressions first see if there is any flaws in the unit.

Frank

post #129 of 3835 Old 10-09-2009, 06:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 94
I am doing a review (hopefully be finished tonite) on the JVC DLA HD550 so the second I am aloud to talk (NDA lifted) I will begin my DUO review.

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #130 of 3835 Old 10-09-2009, 06:54 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

I am doing a review (hopefully be finished tonite) on the JVC DLA HD550 so the second I am aloud to talk (NDA lifted) I will begin my DUO review.

looking forward to it Joe

Frank

post #131 of 3835 Old 10-09-2009, 07:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I noticed in the manual that it has active aspect ratio and setting it for 2:35:1 material mind my ignorance but does that mean it able to convert all AR to 2:35:1 (that is 1:78/1:85:1 to 2:35:1)?

And if that is the case would that have an effect on pq?

One more thing can someone ( Denon owner actually) test if the HD audio passes through no problems? When I had the edge they had that issue hopefully they won't have that problem.

This processor is getting released in Australia in the next 2 weeks.

Thank you

It's based on the EDGE and I have zero problems with the HD audio going through my EDGE to my Denon 3808.

My DUO shows "out for delivery" today so hopefully i'll get by my mailbox before they close today. Assuming UPS actually delivers it today.

But if I pick it up I'll connect eveything tonight and check out the HD audio and DSD over HDMi through the DUO.

LED DLP

post #132 of 3835 Old 10-09-2009, 07:34 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

It's based on the EDGE and I have zero problems with the HD audio going through my EDGE to my Denon 3808.

My DUO shows "out for delivery" today so hopefully i'll get by my mailbox before they close today. Assuming UPS actually delivers it today.

But if I pick it up I'll connect eveything tonight and check out the HD audio and DSD over HDMi through the DUO.

Thank you aaronwt for that will also be looking forward in reading your impressions also. If the HD audio works perfect then thats just one tick to the system and then if the other works then I think it will definitely be a goer for me.

Frank

post #133 of 3835 Old 10-09-2009, 08:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Finally!

Quote:

Good deal. Looking forward to yours and whoever else's impressions.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #134 of 3835 Old 10-09-2009, 04:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

I set my DUO up a couple of hours ago. I had no problems with HD audio (5.1 and 7.1 DTS-MA and TrueHD) and multichannel PCM.
The remote has a narrower field of use than the EDGE remote.

The one problem I did run into was the DSD over HDMI. But I also think there is something going on with my OPPO 980 and the DUO. I could only get stereo DSD over HDMI to work. I couldn't get multichannel to work.

But I also noticed with the OPPO that when playing a DVD that it would not bitstream the audio. So I tuned on hot plugging on that input. And that solved the problem for playing the bitstreamed audio from the DVD over HDMI but it didn't do anything for the DSD. And also when I tried some DVD-A discs it would only send stereo PCM from the OPPO as well instead of multichannel pcm from teh DVD-A.
If I connect it straight to my Denon 3808 it is fine so I'm assuming it is an issue between the OPPO 980 and the DUO. Although I guess I need to try a different input. I have the OPPO connected to HDMI input 6 but I wouldn't think the input would matter. I also tried using the audio HDMI output with the same results.

But otherwise, with everything else, they all behave the same way as with the EDGE, which is no problems with my other components. AN XBox 360, BD35, XA2, PS3 Slim, TiVo HD boxes and S3, an Algolith HDMI Flea and a VUDU box.

LED DLP

post #135 of 3835 Old 10-09-2009, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:

I set my DUO up a couple of hours ago. I had no problems with HD audio (5.1 and 7.1 DTS-MA and TrueHD) and multichannel PCM.

The one problem I did run into was the DSD over HDMI. But I also think there is something going on with my OPPO 980 and the DUO. I could only get stereo DSD over HDMI to work. I couldn't get multichannel to work.

But I also noticed with the OPPO that when playing a DVD that it would not bitstream the audio. So I tuned on hot plugging on that input. And that solved the problem for playing the bitstreamed audio from the DVD over HDMI but it didn't do anything for the DSD. And also when I tried some DVD-A discs it would only send stereo PCM from the OPPO as well instead of multichannel pcm from teh DVD-A.
If I connect it straight to my Denon 3808 it is fine so I'm assuming it is an issue between the OPPO 980 and the DUO. Although I guess I need to try a different input. I have the OPPO connected to HDMI input 6 but I wouldn't think the input would matter. I also tried using the audio HDMI output with the same results.

But otherwise, with everything else, they all behave the same way as with the EDGE, which is no problems with my other components. AN XBox 360, BD35, XA2, PS3 Slim, TiVo HD boxes and S3, an Algolith HDMI Flea and a VUDU box.

That's interesting, as I had a small AR problem with my Oppo 83 and my EDGE. Perhaps you'll tell us if the Duo knows what to do with 4:3 SD material. Any 4:3 DVDs get stretched by the EDGE since it doesn't know what to do with 4:3 when the 83's in Source Direct output mode. Since I prefer original AR for all my material, the 83 is now in Auto mode.

My 09 doesn't have this problem with the EDGE.
post #136 of 3835 Old 10-09-2009, 05:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Since you're obviously under no NDA and all that...how does this thing compare to the Edge, the VP 50, and VP 50 pro in terms of performances, features under the hood, etc.?

Is this thing just basically an Edge with a different body and a few extra inputs and outputs or does it have anything else going for it?

I'll look forward to seeing what you get in to as you spend more time with it.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #137 of 3835 Old 10-09-2009, 06:14 PM
CIH USER

Quote:

Thanks for that Aaronwt

Quote:

I'll look forward to seeing what you get in to as you spend more time with it.

I agree.

Frank

post #138 of 3835 Old 10-09-2009, 06:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

I am planning to post my "Review" soon. Since it is officially out I am sure the NDA has to be about over. Anyway, not sure which firmware it is shipping with. Aaron send me a PM...

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

post #139 of 3835 Old 10-10-2009, 07:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I am planning to post my "Review" soon. Since it is officially out I am sure the NDA has to be about over.

It's going to be one way or the other once customers like Aaron start talking.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #140 of 3835 Old 10-10-2009, 07:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Good point. I don't have to now.

post #141 of 3835 Old 10-10-2009, 08:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Good point. I don't have to now.

Except you're probably ready to go and could get something off the ground quick.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #142 of 3835 Old 10-10-2009, 02:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

My DUO has been working great , just like my EDGE with the exception of the DSD over HDMI. I tried it in a different port with the same results from my OPPO.

I guess I need to look for another SACD/DVD-A player that outputs over HDMI to try it out with the DUO.

Although I don't see on the DVDO website where they have a section for DUO software downloads yet.

And what is the process for updating the software in the DUO? With the EDGE you had to stick a pin into a hole by the USB port to be able to update the firmware. With the DUO is it just a matter of going to the update firmware section and choosing yes?
Will it then work like the EDGE, where the PC sees a USB drive and then you delete the file in the DUO and copy over the new firmware file and reboot?

I don't recall seeing the info about the process in the manual.

LED DLP

post #143 of 3835 Old 10-10-2009, 02:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

I was outputting the video at 480i from the OPPO. When I changed that to an HD resolution I was able to get the multichannel DSD from SACD and multichannel PCM from the DVD-A discs. So it is working fine through the DUO.

Although what confuses me is that I never messed with the output resolution, even when connecting it straight to the Denon 3808. So it must have defaulted to an HD resolution on the Denon while defaulting to an SD resolution on the DUO.
I don't know if that is the case but it would explain what happened.

I just know it's working right now so I'm pleased with that outcome. I think this may have happend to me last year and I forgot that the multichannel HBR audio can't pass with the lower resolution.

LED DLP

post #144 of 3835 Old 10-10-2009, 02:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Awesome Aaron!

post #145 of 3835 Old 10-10-2009, 04:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

And what is the process for updating the software in the DUO? With the EDGE you had to stick a pin into a hole by the USB port to be able to update the firmware. With the DUO is it just a matter of going to the update firmware section and choosing yes?
Will it then work like the EDGE, where the PC sees a USB drive and then you delete the file in the DUO and copy over the new firmware file and reboot?

For laughs I went to the DVDO site and found the PDF of the manual for the Duo.

Lower right corner of page 22 tells you how to update the firmware on the Duo. Looks super easy and straight forward.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #146 of 3835 Old 10-10-2009, 08:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

For laughs I went to the DVDO site and found the PDF of the manual for the Duo.

Lower right corner of page 22 tells you how to update the firmware on the Duo. Looks super easy and straight forward.

Thanks. I must have skimmed right over it when I was going through the manual yesterday evening. But of course I was in a rush to check out the DUO.

EDIT: I see it now. that makes it much easier than the EDGE, having to stick a paper clip in a hole in the back. The only thing I miss from the EDGE is the HDMi port in the front. It actually came in handy.
I guess I'll leave a long HDMi cable connected to port 8 on the DUO for temporarily connecting a device to the DUO.

LED DLP

post #147 of 3835 Old 10-10-2009, 08:26 PM

Maybe this has already been answered, but is there any appreciable increase in video quality in the DUO over the EDGE? I'm not talking about inputs or technical stuff, but if a non videophile were watching the two, would he/she be able to see a difference, even slightly?
post #148 of 3835 Old 10-10-2009, 08:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

More on the DUO and DSD over HDMi and DVD-A pcm.
The DUO is passing multichannel DSD over HDMI and multichannel PCM.

Although I have run into something from my OPPO 980 and DVD-A. With multi channel pcm at 88khz it's fine but if I try 96Khz multichannel it is only passing through two channels. I didn't have time to trouble shoot since I only just figured out this evening that I needed the OPPO to be outputting in HD resolution to allow multichannel DSD over HDMi and the multichannel PCM from the DVD-A.

I never had any problem with multichannel pcm from my BD/HD DVDplayers but those were putting out 1080P and the audio was not 96Khz. I need to find my test BD that I think has 96khz multichannel audio to see if the DUO reacts like it does with DVD-A.

I'll check that out tomorrow evening.

I'm assuming it's the OPPO that's not reacting right. So I need to confirm by testing with a BD player since the DUO is supposed to handle 24 bit audio and a sampling frequency up to 192Khz over HDMI. Plus there could be a setting in the OPPO I over looked. I just didn't have time to mess with it since we were watching our shows this evening.

LED DLP

post #149 of 3835 Old 10-10-2009, 08:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay0heavenly View Post

Maybe this has already been answered, but is there any appreciable increase in video quality in the DUO over the EDGE? I'm not talking about inputs or technical stuff, but if a non videophile were watching the two, would he/she be able to see a difference, even slightly?

With around 12 hours of regular use with the DUO, the picture seems the same as the EDGE to me.

But this is also from my normal viewing habits. I didn't throw up any test patterns yet either.

Doesn't the DUO and the EDGE have the same chips, or are they very different?

I'm happy with the DUO right now. If they improve it that makes the already worthwhile purchase even better.

LED DLP

post #150 of 3835 Old 10-10-2009, 08:45 PM

thanks for the response Aaron!

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on the EDGE, and it'll be my first Video Processor for a very modest HT and I was debating whether I should kick out the extra cash for a DUO, but I think I'll stick with my initial decision to grab the EDGE...I think it should do the trick!
Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page