New DVDO iScan Duo [2.0 firmware released] - Page 53 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1561 of 3841 Old 09-02-2010, 06:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The adjustment MAX is 56ms, in 1ms adjustments.

Ive not seen the floating blacks in picture, but I can tell the bars brighten and darken with the APL, which is part of the real black drive. Blacks are better and more inky than my 2008. I do not think the Duo can fix this.

The reason I wanted the Duo was for it's CMS (to get the S2's color's spot on) and for the low Gamma. The S2 is 1.9, so with the Duo, it can be adjusted up to a better level. Overall, I like the TV, but the gamma is a low point.

My calibration is next week, so Im excited to see what the charts look like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 3841 Old 09-02-2010, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

I'm asking because it seems to me that a 50ms delay would hardly be perceivable.

I believe people will tolerate video arriving two frames behind the audio or one frame ahead. Outside of that and people really complain.
post #1563 of 3841 Old 09-02-2010, 07:59 PM

Thanks to both of you guys for your inputs.

ElwayLite, I will be looking forward to reading how your calibration went, especially gamma-wise.

Cheers
post #1564 of 3841 Old 09-02-2010, 08:02 PM

Ill post charts here and there, no doubt.
post #1565 of 3841 Old 09-02-2010, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwayLite View Post

Ken told me it was probably a memory issue and they replaced mine.

Were you experiencing audio drop-outs from all sources?

I am experiencing audio drop-outs..., but only from my DTV HD-DVR... I do not have any from my HD-DVD, Blu-Ray, DVD-Carousel, or Xbox.

?????

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!
The Barn - Use Password = AVSForum
post #1566 of 3841 Old 09-03-2010, 06:05 AM

I had it on all of them. If you run it down to the most negative audio sync (-56), and it goes away, could be a problem. What type of DVR?
post #1567 of 3841 Old 09-03-2010, 06:29 AM

Maybe worth a distinction here. The "memory" problem isn't really dropouts - more momentary losses of audio - making the sound "choppy". If you're having complete dropouts - i.e. actually losing audio completely - then that's not the same problem.
post #1568 of 3841 Old 09-03-2010, 06:33 AM

Yeah, mine, with the memory issue, was "choppy"/clicky. I could watch my rcvr, it never dropped.
post #1569 of 3841 Old 09-03-2010, 06:36 AM

Quote:

Yeah, mine, with the memory issue, was "choppy"/clicky. I could watch my rcvr, it never dropped.

Yep - that's what I have. I would suggest that HiHoStevo's problem is more likely a handshaking issue - there are loads of known issues with DTV boxes all over lots of forums.
post #1570 of 3841 Old 09-03-2010, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I may have my lipsync tolerance backwards.
post #1571 of 3841 Old 09-03-2010, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

I had it on all of them. If you run it down to the most negative audio sync (-56), and it goes away, could be a problem. What type of DVR?

HR20-700

The audio is not choppy... it just goes silent for 1 second and then back to normal...

Ken had me try running the sync full negative and that had no effect at all.

The dropouts only occur about twice an hour and they are only from my DVR... which led me to believe it was the DVR's fault and not DVDO's. Although that is just a "logical" guess based on the circumstances. There of course could be some type of handshake issue between the DVR and the Duo...

My next project was to attempt to just run the audio straight to the receiver without going through the duo and see if the same drop-outs occur. I have not had the time to re-wire to conduct this test so far however.... (currently looking for some of those round-to-its).

I do have a component/optical set running from the DVR to the Duo in addition to the HDMI connection (this way I can quickly switch to shows that were originally broadcast in 4x3 widescreen format and fill my 16x9 screen). The same audio drop-outs occur using the optical audio input to the Duo that occur on the HDMI input.

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!
The Barn - Use Password = AVSForum
post #1572 of 3841 Old 09-03-2010, 02:37 PM

Ah, Directv dvr's have known issues with audio drops and 5.1. If you have a good AVR, and use it all the time, you could turn off DD and it might help the HR20.
post #1573 of 3841 Old 09-03-2010, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Does anyone know how to calibrate the 5% points? Shows results of the 5% points when set to 21 point scale, but could only calibrate the 10 point scale. Have error levels above 3 at 15 and 25%, despite being below 1 on either side. Also some problems at 95. Would like to able to adjust the error levels down, especially the 15 and 25%.

Been told by Calman - 10 Point calibration only!
post #1574 of 3841 Old 09-04-2010, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoStevo View Post

HR20-700

The audio is not choppy... it just goes silent for 1 second and then back to normal...

Ken had me try running the sync full negative and that had no effect at all.

The dropouts only occur about twice an hour and they are only from my DVR... which led me to believe it was the DVR's fault and not DVDO's. Although that is just a "logical" guess based on the circumstances. There of course could be some type of handshake issue between the DVR and the Duo...

My next project was to attempt to just run the audio straight to the receiver without going through the duo and see if the same drop-outs occur. I have not had the time to re-wire to conduct this test so far however.... (currently looking for some of those round-to-its).

I do have a component/optical set running from the DVR to the Duo in addition to the HDMI connection (this way I can quickly switch to shows that were originally broadcast in 4x3 widescreen format and fill my 16x9 screen). The same audio drop-outs occur using the optical audio input to the Duo that occur on the HDMI input.

I have the HR20-100 and some days I have similar drop outs but not every day. I figured it was the broadcast. Drop outs are rare but some days they are bad. I've had drop outs every 5 minutes on a bad day. Most days none at all. I don't use the audio that passes through my Duo.

Ron
post #1575 of 3841 Old 09-04-2010, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

The adjustment MAX is 56ms, in 1ms adjustments.

Hi ElwayLite,

Are you sure about that? In the menu, my Duo says its delay can go up to 200 ms in 1 ms increments and also can go down to -8 ms (I assume for actually adding some video delay). Am I reading the menu incorrectly here? It wouldn't be the first time...

-Noob

-Noob
post #1576 of 3841 Old 09-04-2010, 03:17 PM

You're right, my mind was only on negative. Mine will go 200 pos, and 56 neg.
post #1577 of 3841 Old 09-04-2010, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Mine will go 200 pos, and 56 neg.

the maximum negative value differs from setup to setup. It depends on your processor settings. 56ms is the standard value. In Gamemode, for example, it gets reduced to 6 or 8ms only.
post #1578 of 3841 Old 09-04-2010, 10:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello Gents,

I just received my Duo from spectracal and I am hope I can calibrate CMS, grayscale and gamma on my RS-2. Does anyone have this combo? What results did you get?
post #1579 of 3841 Old 09-05-2010, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

You're right, my mind was only on negative. Mine will go 200 pos, and 56 neg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudoh View Post

the maximum negative value differs from setup to setup. It depends on your processor settings. 56ms is the standard value. In Gamemode, for example, it gets reduced to 6 or 8ms only.

Ah. This makes perfect sense then. I am indeed using Game mode on this output because I'm using my TV as a PC monitor. Thanks for clearing this up guys.

-Noob

-Noob
post #1580 of 3841 Old 09-06-2010, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Ok - taking your advice and Calibrating my set First!
OK - The S&M in some aspects appeared to give me a better PQ. But I was also ending up with Video aspects I didn't like. So Last Night, Reset both Expert 1 and 2. Calibrated Expert 2 with the Chroma5(Profiled with i1Pro), DPG-1200 Pattern Generator and the Calman 4. Did the Brightness, Contrast, Gamma Setting and Luminance, then Flatlined the Green to the 100 line, transfered the values to Expert 1, returned to Expert 2 and Finished up The Greyscale and Gamut. Transferred the Values to Expert 1. At this point the Calman 4 starting doing it's usual flip outs: won't give a finalized Luminance value (You can hear the Meter Clicking but no results showing on screen.) Tried finializing the Colour and Tint but Calman was pulling up the Wrong Patterns. (Happens periodically Despite Auto being changed to RGB on the DPG-1200). Will put the iScan Duo back in place tonight and finish up. Surprise ending - No Yellow Tinge after just a regular calibration!
Chroma5 - to initialize or not to initialize - Tested with No Initialization, 100 White, Meter On Screen and Finally, Initialized with Meter on 0% Black - the result On the Luminance Test - Very Little Difference! (This was a Test to find out who was right - My Instructor at the Spectracal Pro Seminar who said to not bother, Instructions that come with the Meter (0% Black) or someone, somewhere who said to just initialize on the screen)
post #1581 of 3841 Old 09-06-2010, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Hi. It is my understanding that the current DUO will autodetect the display and then apply the one and only profile to that particular display. Hence, it is not possible to have a Day and Night profile, or one for sports, one for movie ... Is this correct?

I assume the multiple profile will "solve" this problem, but when will this be ready? Any beta-FW tester willing to comment?
post #1582 of 3841 Old 09-08-2010, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fight4yu View Post

Hi. It is my understanding that the current DUO will autodetect the display and then apply the one and only profile to that particular display. Hence, it is not possible to have a Day and Night profile, or one for sports, one for movie ... Is this correct?

I assume the multiple profile will "solve" this problem, but when will this be ready? Any beta-FW tester willing to comment?

Anyone?
post #1583 of 3841 Old 09-08-2010, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:

As far as I know, DVDO has no plans to implement profiles for the Duo. However, I think that they will offer a Day/Night mode at some point in the future, which amounts to the same thing if two profiles is all you need.

This is not gospel, but informed speculation.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #1584 of 3841 Old 09-08-2010, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

For those of you who have had problems with audio drop-outs on the Duo, I'd like to ask a question: What is the advantage of placing the video processor upstream of the prepro or receiver? (I am assuming here that someone who is willing to spend a thousand dollars for a video processor is not using their display's internal sound system.)

Why not just place the Duo downstream from the receiver or prepro so that the audio has already been processed and sent to the speakers before it even reaches the Duo?

I'm sure that there is a simple answer to this, but it is not obvious to me.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #1585 of 3841 Old 09-08-2010, 01:25 PM

I don't think there is a "good" reason, my thought was just to move the rcvr out of the chain. In my case, it was faulty memory inside the Duo, as others have had here. It wasn't a dropout though, which some are experiencing. If it came down to the fact that the Duo was fine and it was just a bug somewhere, thats what I would have done. Ken replaced the unit easily, and now it works fine in my case. But as stated, I dont see it as an issue, and would do it if needed.
post #1586 of 3841 Old 09-08-2010, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post

For those of you who have had problems with audio drop-outs on the Duo, I'd like to ask a question: What is the advantage of placing the video processor upstream of the prepro or receiver? (I am assuming here that someone who is willing to spend a thousand dollars for a video processor is not using their display's internal sound system.)

Why not just place the Duo downstream from the receiver or prepro so that the audio has already been processed and sent to the speakers before it even reaches the Duo?

I'm sure that there is a simple answer to this, but it is not obvious to me.

I can think of 2:
1) For those owners whose receiver does not have HDMI input, this is not going to work for them.

2) By putting the VP downstream, your video now goes through 2 "conversion"... granted that the receiver can do a pass-through, this might not be a big issue.. but nonetheless, 2 conversion before you reach your display.

3) Big IF, and later if DUO support simulataneous output, this setup will not be able to do this for different input.
post #1587 of 3841 Old 09-08-2010, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post

As far as I know, DVDO has no plans to implement profiles for the Duo. However, I think that they will offer a Day/Night mode at some point in the future, which amounts to the same thing if two profiles is all you need.

This is not gospel, but informed speculation.

Thanks Tom! I do hope this speculation will becomes true one day.
post #1588 of 3841 Old 09-08-2010, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I can think of 2:
1) For those owners whose receiver does not have HDMI input, this is not going to work for them.

2) By putting the VP downstream, your video now goes through 2 "conversion"... granted that the receiver can do a pass-through, this might not be a big issue.. but nonetheless, 2 conversion before you reach your display.

3) Big IF, and later if DUO support simulataneous output, this setup will not be able to do this for different input.

1. Again, I am assuming that customers for a $1,000 video processor would have upgraded to an HDMI-compatible receiver or pre-pro. Receivers can be had now with multiple inputs for a fraction of the Duo's cost.

2. Yes, you would have to put the receiver or pre-pro into pass-through mode. Most provide this.

3. I am skeptical that this will ever be available, but I could be mistaken.

All in all, these seem like pretty thin reasons for complaint. It is so simple to avoid the problem entirely.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #1589 of 3841 Old 09-08-2010, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 94
The idea is to pass the proper amount of delay through Audio Only to sync with the video.
post #1590 of 3841 Old 09-08-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:

2. Yes, you would have to put the receiver or pre-pro into pass-through mode. Most provide this.

In the case of my 1909, I have to choose YCbCr or RGB, for the video, and I have both. That would make it a pain.

I think the reasons are miniscule, but one needs to make sure his unit is not faulty before making that move. Paying $1000 for something, we should be able to hook it up however we like, and the memory is faulty, it should be replaced.

I do not believe in letting them off the hook, just because I could do it another way. My service has been great, so I would encourage anyone having drops or glitches, to have Ken help you troubleshoot, and see if a replacement is in order.
Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page