AVS Forum banner

Advantages of a video processor?

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  scp2 
#1 ·
I was auditioning a sub at a guys house last week and and in talking about equipment purchases he told me the best investment he ever made to enhance his HT was the addition of a Lumagen video processor. BTW this has nothing to do with the sub.

My situation..Mitsubishi Lt46246 LCD 46" 120 hz 1080p...Direct Tv hd receiver.... Pioneer BDP51f bluray player....Yamaha RXv863 AVR...soon to be upgraded to separates(possibly Cary 11a still deciding on pre/pro) Everything is connected via hdmi right now and I like the ease and lack of cabling of it.

What improvements will I see...if any...by adding an external video processor in the mix...whether Cary, Lumagen or DVDO?

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by scp2 /forum/post/17328852

Nothing??? Is my question too elementary or vague?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that

a) people are probably wondering why you didn't have this conversation with the guy whose experiences sent you this direction in the first place

b) your question is vague, and has been asked numerous times in the forum. a little digging with the search function should reveal the same answers others are reluctant to (re)type.

and because I know that's not what you were hoping for--a VP could add:

superior scaling

advanced deinterlacing

noise reduction

signal calibration

colour management system

test pattern generation

Ask the Lumagen guy to demo his unit for you--with and without it in the chain. If you don't have the same "OMG" reaction that he does, I doubt a VP would do much for you.

Cheers.

#4 ·
Thanks for the response...I'm sorry I thought I had exhausted my searches here.

The guy had already moved on and sold the Lumagen and at the time I was more interested in talking about the sub. I didn't want to be a pest to him...but will send an email I guess. Just thought it was an easy answer here.

I will dig a little deeper on the forum...I have already read all the posts on video processors...but this seems to be a newer area...I will search other areas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.