AVS Forum banner

Krell 707 video processing

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  hd_newbie 
#1 ·
Anyone have a perspective on the quality of the video processing implementation in Krell's top of the line 707 processor?

I've read many accolades about the sonics, but nothing on the video side.

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd_newbie /forum/post/17435555

I heard it was using some low end processor. I would stay away.

That's an ignorant thing to say. I'd stay away from your recommendations, to be honest. You should have actual experience with a unit to make any comments about it. Have you had a chance to listen to the Krell Evolution 707? If not, please don't spread any negative propaganda.

#5 ·
I have a Krell HTS 7.1 and have found nothing to compare sonically. However, I have been very happy with my VP50 and Pioneer 150FD and can't imagine justifying the price of the 707. I just wish Krell would update the HTS 7.1 with something sonically equivalent or better with HDMI and leave the video processing out. Something to keep in mind: the VP companies seem to have a lot more firmware updates than Krell does. Having said that we love our Krell stuff. Sorry to say I have no experience with the 707.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgavsf /forum/post/17436709

I have a Krell HTS 7.1 and have found nothing to compare sonically. However, I have been very happy with my VP50 and Pioneer 150FD and can't imagine justifying the price of the 707. I just wish Krell would update the HTS 7.1 with something sonically equivalent or better with HDMI and leave the video processing out. Something to keep in mind: the VP companies seem to have a lot more firmware updates than Krell does. Having said that we love our Krell stuff. Sorry to say I have no experience with the 707.

I had owned the Krell HTS 7.1 prior to the Evo 707. The HTS 7.1 is a fine sounding unit. The 707's sound is better, but it does cost a lot, I agree. For a while I used the HTS 7.1's analog inputs from my Marantz BD8002 Blue-Ray player. However, once I heard the 707's decoded HD sound formats, the difference was nontrivial. Not to mention the 707's 2-channel performance - just fantastic. Bottom line is that the preamp section of a processor may make more difference than the decoding (which is also superior in the 707). The video looks spectacular, not sure if it's to the credit of the 707's video section or not. I am mainly concerned with the sound, as HD/Blue-Ray looks awesome already when passed through.

#7 ·
Lucky you. I know the 707 is better and I wish I had one. But the jump from the $8500 HTS 7.1 to $30k for the 707 is too big for many people. I am sure than almost anyone who has heard either with krell monos would agree it's the best thing they have ever heard.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct335d /forum/post/17436492

That's an ignorant thing to say.

I recommend you get yourself educated about this product before you call people who did that "ignorant". I suggest you go to Krell's website and see if you can find the name of the video processor that they are using. I spent hours trying that and with no luck. In other words this information is not shared with customers. Can you guess why?

This is from page 11 of this product's user manual (I added the bolding):

"Configure video output sets the analog video scaler to an appropriate video output resolution. Analog video can be up-scaled up to 1080P 60Hz allowing video parity for all video sources Once this has been set all analog video sources will be up-scaled and output to this resolution. HDMI inputs are NOT affected by this setting."

Yes you read it right. For $30,000, you only get analog scaling. This product doesn't scale HDMI.

More. From their own brochure:

"The Evolution 707 video circuitry is fully HDMI 1.3 compliant, supports 24 bit Deep Color content, and is equipped with an onboard video scaler. With stunning clarity, this scaler up-converts incoming analog video signals to a maximum of 1080p/60Hz over HDMI output or 1080p/30Hz via component video output. A second video zone enables viewing of another video source simultaneously."

They refer to an "onboard scaler" without telling us which. Why not? Denon has Realta and Anthem has Gennum (I think) and Krell has "an onboard scaler".

Then they again say that this "an onboard scaler" only upconverts analog sources.

In all likelyhood this onboard scaler sounds like a low-end "Faroudja" to me. Do I know definitively? No, but that is thanks to Krell for not telling us. This shady behavior in itself is enough not to entertain this product in my opinion. I would recommend OP to get last year's Onkyo 606 with the same chip for $600 and will offer similar video performance.

Quote:

I'd stay away from your recommendations, to be honest.

Your loss. You would learn few things if you didn't.

Quote:

You should have actual experience with a unit to make any comments about it.

And you do? It is obvious from your post that you know nothing about video processing capabilities of this product. Yet you still post in an insulting manner. You know what? More expensive is not always better.

Quote:

Have you had a chance to listen to the Krell Evolution 707?

Uh, "listen"?? OP was asking about video processing side of this product and not sound. This is getting better by the minute.

Quote:

If not, please don't spread any negative propaganda.

I suggest you really don't post about topics that you obviously lack knowledge. How would you feel if OP went ahead and bought this unit for its video processing features based on your input and later on learned that his $30K unit is only as good as $600 Onkyo?

#11 ·
Newbie,

First of all, I did not call YOU ignorant, but rather the assessment you were so quick to make - "stay away from Krell Evolution 707 because of low end video processor (which you have just heard about)". Perhaps you value the video section of a processor over its audio section, in general - and if that's your preference, that's fine. So, by all means, you should buy a different processor, as it will be much cheaper and it will give you what you are really looking for - video processing, but I assure you, the audio won't come even remotely close to that of the Krell Evolution 707's. I realize that the post's main question was the unit's video section. But, you plainly told everyone they should avoid this unit, period. That's simply not a fair assessment of this great sounding piece of gear.

Video processing should not be the primary reason why someone should buy this unit (even though there's nothing wrong with it), in my opinion. They should buy it mainly for its AUDIO (I know I did). Yet, you're telling everyone here to avoid it, not just stating that it's video processing does not scale HDMI. I believe many actually may prefer the video processing to be left untouched or processed within a projector or by another video device. I know I do.

I still fully support what I have said: one should not listen to your recommendation on the Krell Evolution 707, as it's simply not fair, and you should be familiar with a unit and ALL of its qualities before making a recommendation to everyone to avoid it (based on reading it's owners manual). I did not mean disrespect, while I think you got a bit more uptight with me.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucemck2 /forum/post/17355372

Anyone have a perspective on the quality of the video processing implementation in Krell's top of the line 707 processor?

I've read many accolades about the sonics, but nothing on the video side.

Perhaps the Krell sounds awesome. It should. This thread--and more specifically, this forum is for video processing. The OP was asking about video processing.

hd_newbie's initial post did seem potentially inflammatory. His follow-up helped explain his position.

Let's focus on the video section and move on, shall we?
The OP seems well aware of Krell's sonic abilities...

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDgaming42 /forum/post/17443634

Perhaps the Krell sounds awesome. It should. This thread--and more specifically, this forum is for video processing. The OP was asking about video processing.

hd_newbie's initial post did seem potentially inflammatory. His follow-up helped explain his position.

Let's focus on the video section and move on, shall we?
The OP seems well aware of Krell's sonic abilities...

That's fine. Let's also stay away from flat out telling everyone to avoid the unit, purely based on its potential lack of (desirable by a few) HDMI video processing. My attempted analogy: If someone asked on an auto-enthusiasts' forum how much luggage could be packed into a Porsche Carrera, to which "someone" could probably answer that Porsche Carrera should be avoided since you can't fit more than a small bag in it. I'd call that answer ignorant as well (although, I realize that it is probably too strong of a word).

Also, perhaps I'm in the wrong forum, as to me video processing within a pre/processor is not important at all. If a good Blue-Ray player does everything well and outputs spectacular video, why would anyone want to further change it? Would you not want it just passed though the processor? Personally, I'd be happy with audio-only processor, as I only look for it to do its job on the audio.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.