AVS Forum banner

Convince me NOT to buy an Edge

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  joerod 
#1 ·
Ok ok... here's my situation:

1.) I'm a (recovering) compulsive buyer.

2.) I want the highest picture quality that I can afford.

3.) I'm in the market for a new receiver, either the Onkyo 1007 or 3007.

4.) I watch A LOT (99%) of HD from my Cablevision Cable box (sports, Mythbusters, etc) and rarely watch movies.

4.) I have my finger on the trigger ready to buy an EDGE.

I have a Samsung LN52A650 (52 inches...duh
) that I sit approximately 8-9 feet away from. I am about to get a DVDO EDGE and let that clean up my Cable watching a little bit, but don't want to spend $500 unless its NOTICEABLE!

Also, I'm thinking that if I go for a 3007 with REON, that will do all the Video up-converting that I'll need, right?

Thanks for any and all help ladies and gents!

See less See more
#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay0heavenly /forum/post/17388148

Ok ok... here's my situation:

1.) I'm a (recovering) compulsive buyer.

2.) I want the highest picture quality that I can afford.

3.) I'm in the market for a new receiver, either the Onkyo 1007 or 3007.

4.) I watch A LOT (99%) of HD from my Cablevision Cable box (sports, Mythbusters, etc) and rarely watch movies.

4.) I have my finger on the trigger ready to buy an EDGE.

I have a Samsung LN52A650 (52 inches...duh
) that I sit approximately 8-9 feet away from. I am about to get a DVDO EDGE and let that clean up my Cable watching a little bit, but don't want to spend $500 unless its NOTICEABLE!

Also, I'm thinking that if I go for a 3007 with REON, that will do all the Video up-converting that I'll need, right?

Thanks for any and all help ladies and gents!

Ok Sunshine here goes....

I own the Onkyo 876 and 3007, and USED to own an Edge. You absolutely do not need the Edge if you have the Reon in either the 876 or the 3007. You can tweak it infinitely with the controls in the Onkyo's. I use mine on a 123" Silverstar screen that I sit 8-9' away from, no way will you not be happy with it on the 52".

Now, why did I mention the 876 along with the 3007? Well, if you can live with two less HDMI inputs and are NOT planning on doing "height" or "width" speakers, save yourself a crapload and get an 876. Reon processing is no different that I can tell between the two of them, which is to say it is very very good. Joerod says the Faroudja is as good in the Onkyo 1007 but I respectfully disagree after playing with a friends. However, as your screen is less than 25% of mine it may do you just fine. I can only comment on what I have seen in my system. Feel free to drop me a PM if you have any specific questions about either the 876 or 3007.

Best,

Chris

#5 ·
You can also get a DUO instead of the EDGE.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt /forum/post/17388637

Why would he buy a Duo when he doesn't want to spend $500 on an EDGE "unless it is noticeable"? EDGE and Duo have the same ABT2010 processor = same performance.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt /forum/post/17388637

LOL...that is an alternative

Naw, but in all seriousness, I don't really need the extra features of the 3007, I'll only be running a 5.1 for now. I would be adding to that in the next year or so, so the 3007 would have been quasi-futureproofing.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCONKLIN1 /forum/post/17388516

Ok Sunshine here goes....

I own the Onkyo 876 and 3007, and USED to own an Edge. You absolutely do not need the Edge if you have the Reon in either the 876 or the 3007. You can tweak it infinitely with the controls in the Onkyo's. I use mine on a 123" Silverstar screen that I sit 8-9' away from, no way will you not be happy with it on the 52".

Now, why did I mention the 876 along with the 3007? Well, if you can live with two less HDMI inputs and are NOT planning on doing "height" or "width" speakers, save yourself a crapload and get an 876. Reon processing is no different that I can tell between the two of them, which is to say it is very very good. Joerod says the Faroudja is as good in the Onkyo 1007 but I respectfully disagree after playing with a friends. However, as your screen is less than 25% of mine it may do you just fine. I can only comment on what I have seen in my system. Feel free to drop me a PM if you have any specific questions about either the 876 or 3007.

Best,

Chris

The Faroudja does just fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.