AVS Forum banner

Scaling issues

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Franin 
#1 ·
I'm looking for the best disc and patterns for evaluating scaling issues coming from players ,projectors or outboard processors. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Art

#2 ·
I was recently using a test pattern on the DVE 'HD Basics' BluRay to see what level of sharpness and detail adjustments on my HD350 start to cause interferance patterns (non at all as it turns out so I left them at '0'). This is a pattern with concentric circles of black and white (not unlike the Queen's 'Jazz' ablum cover if you're familiar with that). It also helped to hightlight differences between deintelacing settings on my Lumagen HDQ. The only issue with it is that there is no 'cadence' so it is a bit like putting up a 'paused' image and may show some VPs/scalers in an unfairly bad light, compared with playing 'real' moving footage.

The pattern is in the advanced patterns section 'Luminance Zone Plate, circular slow phase'. There is also another one 'Pixel phase' which seems to show if there is any scaling occuring in the chain as it only looks 'clear' when there is no scaling involved, going progressively more 'blured' as I adjust the scaling on my Lumagen by changing the output size.

#4 ·
There is A SD DVD evaluation DVD disc that is provided with DVDO scaler's Called ABT "Evaluation & Optimization DVD"...

Stacy Spears was one of the people that was behined it...

It is A Torcher test useful for avaluating Scalers performance , But is only presented in NTSC format..

Cheers....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.