My Laserdisc comb filter test results [input needed] - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-14-2010, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a couple of LD players a Pioneer CLD-1030 and a Pioneer CLD-D704. I thought the other day I would slap in my VE laserdisc and do some caps of the 'Snell & Wilcox' test pattern. I didn't even bother to try the 1030 and went right to the D704. I have a couple of capture devices, a Dazzle 100 and a bt8x8 card. I won't post pics from every combination here. None of these images or caps from which they came have been 'post-processed' in any way, period. Some are 720x480 others are 640x480.

No surprise that the D704 composite looked like this:

And really not a surprise that the D704 svideo image looked like this (it made a little bit of a difference I guess...)

Now, I have been using a Vidicraft detailer III ($20 used) and a Vidicraft procamp ($20 used) with fairly good results using the composite output for captures. Lately I have been wanting to try something similar for svideo to see how that looked when I got an idea. I figured if I ran the D704 composite through the vidicraft boxes and then into the composite input of my RCA DRC8335 (standalone vhs to dvdr sold at walmart for $140 before being discontinued) I could then run the RCA DRC8335 svideo out to my capture cards. Not sure I could even pass through like that I tried it and this is what I saw (this one is with the bt8x8 w/ all card extra options off, but I did adjust the vidicraft stuff and card proc amp before capture):

and here is one I did just a minute ago with the D704 plugged straight into the RCA vcr straight into the Dazzle (640x480):

now, what could I expect from my lowly CLD-1030 player ($25 used) w/ my RCA walmart reject vcr/dvdr standalone comb filter to Dazzle, w/ card proc amp adjusted a bit(640x480)? This:

and again my lowly CLD-1030 player with a little help from the vidicraft boxes (I tried to get it to look similar to the X0 & X9 caps I've seen color-wise and brightness-wise, before capturing) pass-thru the RCA DRC8335, composite in, svideo out (640x480):

well what do you think? Remember I did no post-processing of any kind, all adjustments were done before capture with the methods I described.

The RCA does seem to knock out some of the vividity of the color.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-14-2010, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

I tried posting one of the captures to youtube to see how it looks, if you watch it in the default 360p it looks basically right, at 480p it gets all screwed up. This is the capture that I took the second to the last frame above from, CLD-1030 straight to RCA DCR8335 s-video out to dazzle.

If you would like, I can post the full captures for any of the above frames to youtube for your viewing. Too bad they won't show at full resolution.

EDIT: I just found out about the 3 post before you can post links rule, so if there is interest in seeing the captures in action just let me know (so I can post again.)

In the meantime to see the aforementioned capture go to youtube and search for:

cld-1030 w/ rca drc8335 pass-thru comb filter video essentials laserdisc

and you will find the capture there
post #3 of 7 Old 09-16-2010, 07:47 AM

Nice work. The comb filter on that RCA unit is pretty sweet.

I'm curious as to what the component video output looks like on your display. I assume that the unit deinteraces and outputs to 480p.

Thanks for sharing!

TLK
post #4 of 7 Old 09-19-2010, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lizard King View Post

Nice work. The comb filter on that RCA unit is pretty sweet.

I'm curious as to what the component video output looks like on your display. I assume that the unit deinteraces and outputs to 480p.

Thanks for sharing!

TLK

That's probably right, I have never used the component out, and the manual for these things nowadays says next to nothing about technical specs. I may try a test of that one of these days, it would be nice to have a capture device that used component.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-20-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzrplayr View Post

That's probably right, I have never used the component out, and the manual for these things nowadays says next to nothing about technical specs. I may try a test of that one of these days, it would be nice to have a capture device that used component.

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/pro...videorecorder/

I would also like to know if this DVDR/VCR combo unit outputs VHS through the component output.

TLK
post #6 of 7 Old 10-01-2010, 12:36 AM

So, I bought one of these RCA/Curtis DRC8335 VHS/DVD Recorders from eBay for less than $30. It was advertised in need of a repair. All it needed was a new capacitor at C226 (replaced with a RadioShack 470uF/35 Volt capacitor stock #272-1030, which cost $1.61 with tax). Here are my findings. This is really an extension of an earlier thread and IMHO needs to be merged with:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1148195

MODS, please merge this thread with the above one! Thank you.

I have a Pioneer LD-S2 and a Dazzle Hollywood DV Bridge capture card which goes into iMovie through FireWire.

LD-S2 (composite) --> DRC8335 (s-video) --> Dazzle --> iMovie:

LD-S2 (composite) --> Dazzle --> iMovie:

LD-S2 (s-video) --> Dazzle --> iMovie:

LD-S2 (composite) --> Entech SVSI-1 (s-video) --> Dazzle --> iMovie:

LD-S2 (composite) --> Crystal Vision VPS-1 (s-video) --> Dazzle --> iMovie:

As you can see, there's not a whole lot of difference with the composite vs. s-video vs. the Entech SVSI-1 vs. the Crystal Vision VPS-1. But there's a HUGE difference between all of those and the DRC8335!

Thanks for the tip, lzrplayr! I'm really happy with my "refurbed" DRC8335 as a rather cumbersome, but effective, comb filter.

TLK
post #7 of 7 Old 05-25-2012, 03:17 PM

Well, I've done a lot of testing with various comb filters, and I've come to the conclusion that the best one that I have on hand is the Faroudja NRS. Here is how it performs on the Snell & Wilcox 2 test pattern from Chapter 15 of the Video Essentials LD:

TLK
Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page