Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 83 Old 10-27-2010, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Firmware v2.30 (beta)
Release date: Oct 27, 2010

What's new in iScan Duo Firmware v2.30 compared to v2.21?

* New features:

* 3D Pass-through
* Simultaneous Dual Video Outputs
* Day and Night CMS profiles

* Improvements:

* 3D Pass-through
* Created CMS sub-menu in the OSD to simplify menu structure
* Two identical displays can be connected and separately calibrated.
* Added a new standard output format "WUXGA@60Hz" (1920x1200).

* Bug Fixes:

* User Preset previously affected other input presets
* Gray scale pattern could be set to wrong IRE level when changing from Color Gamut menu.
* Slightly inaccurate coefficients were used in color space conversions and non-video levels were clipped.

Note: This firmware will force a factory default
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 83 Old 10-27-2010, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Anyone getting "Your Display does not support HDCP" message/error with v2.30 f/w (with the Simultaneous Display output enabled)?

I get that error for the Primary display (PRO-141FD, HDMI 1 which is the Input Priority) after I turn off the 2nd display on HDMI 2 (Projector) - PS3 BR source.

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #3 of 83 Old 10-27-2010, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

i wasn't earlier while doing some testing... but i am experiencing that now with my ps3 on panasonic vt25...
post #4 of 83 Old 10-27-2010, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

thank you for checking...

I gave up testing for today and simply disabled Simultaneous Display Output (which is a feature I want to use).... unless I have something else setup incorrectly, that option looks like it will be unusable for me

I'll investigate this further another day but it will be good to know if this is happening for others besides us.

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

ControlCAL™

post #5 of 83 Old 10-27-2010, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I recommend that you re-calibrate CMS after this release because of the color space conversion bug fix. You no longer need to set contrast to -1 with this release.
post #6 of 83 Old 10-27-2010, 09:21 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe View Post

thank you for checking...

I gave up testing for today and simply disabled Simultaneous Display Output (which is a feature I want to use).... unless I have something else setup incorrectly, that option looks like it will be unusable for me

I'll investigate this further another day but it will be good to know if this is happening for others besides us.

when you turn off the display, it is possible that it keeps the hot-plug signal high but turns off its hdmi receiver chip. This would cause the Duo to fail HDCP authentication and give a message.

Does turning off Duo's 2nd output mode make the message go away on HDMI 1 display?
post #7 of 83 Old 10-27-2010, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabream View Post

when you turn off the display, it is possible that it keeps the hot-plug signal high but turns off its hdmi receiver chip. This would cause the Duo to fail HDCP authentication and give a message.

Does turning off Duo's 2nd output mode make the message go away on HDMI 1 display?

Some people were seeing that in beta testing, but they thought they had it sorted. Try turning off simultaneous ouput - that seemed to fix it - and let us know.
post #8 of 83 Old 10-27-2010, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

turning off simultaneous output does prevent error....
post #9 of 83 Old 10-28-2010, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 967
I like this new version for 3D. My display is a DLP requiring checkerboard 3D input so I can use HDMI out #2 to my Mitsubishi 3D adapter and the new 2nd calibration mode to add needed brightness to all 3D content. Very nice and thank you DVDO. It keeps getting better.

One thing I would like to see is minimal OSD content and keep it away from the center. It does affect my calibration readings but maybe it's just a DLP thing.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #10 of 83 Old 10-28-2010, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Downloaded 2.3 but did not install as yet. In the download questionnaire "What features would you like to see" I wrote:
"Full field grayscale and color patterns with a ChromaPure compatible sequence"

My LG LCD with LED backlit local dimming does not do well with windowed patterns. These mess with the calibration.

Certified HDTV junkie and AVS addict
U.S. Army FA WWII
post #11 of 83 Old 10-28-2010, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

I would like to see separate audio output settings while using simultaneous output...
post #12 of 83 Old 10-28-2010, 11:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
So does the new firmware only allow 3D passthru - i.e. no manipulation (scaling, CMS, etc) of the 3D signal? Or can you process 3D too?

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

post #13 of 83 Old 10-28-2010, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by catmother View Post

Downloaded 2.3 but did not install as yet. In the download questionnaire "What features would you like to see" I wrote:
"Full field grayscale and color patterns with a ChromaPure compatible sequence".

I, too, have suggested both window and field patterns, but if they can only have one, then windows are preferable as some displays require them. Sequence is controlled by the software, so that's not something DVDO needs to worry about.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #14 of 83 Old 10-28-2010, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabream View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteS View Post

Some people were seeing that in beta testing, but they thought they had it sorted. Try turning off simultaneous ouput - that seemed to fix it - and let us know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lush78 View Post

turning off simultaneous output does prevent error....

Yes, I wasn't clear in my last post above.. disabling simultaneous output and that error goes away..

However, this issue makes the simultaneous output option useless in my environment. Hopefully it will be addressed in a future f/w version.

ControlCAL™

post #15 of 83 Old 10-28-2010, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

i only get HDCP errors when my 2nd tv is powered off... everything works as it should when both tvs are on...
post #16 of 83 Old 10-28-2010, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post

I, too, have suggested both window and field patterns, but if they can only have one, then windows are preferable as some displays require them. Sequence is controlled by the software, so that's not something DVDO needs to worry about.

Tried a precal run ( grayscale and color gamut) with ChromaPure 2 Pro intrinsic patterns from a laptop and was impressed with the exceptional ease of use. This would be a preferred choice when calibrating a TV for friends without the Duo.
At first blush my Gateway laptop, Intel HD graphics, HDMI output, BR capable optical drive, does not seem to contaminate the colorspace.
So far, tests with S&M from the included BR drive look OK

A more thorough test will be run when the new version of AVSHD is released by comparing runs with those patterns from a BR player with the patterns produced by the laptop and the patterns produced by the Duo.

The Intel adapter does have independent adjustments for Contrast, Brightness and Gamma for the built-in display and the external TV via HDMI which should allow for profiling the laptop.

A reference to this laptop is here:

http://www.gateway.com/systems/produ...46.php#prodBar

Certified HDTV junkie and AVS addict
U.S. Army FA WWII
post #17 of 83 Old 10-29-2010, 02:49 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspears View Post

I recommend that you re-calibrate CMS after this release because of the color space conversion bug fix. You no longer need to set contrast to -1 with this release.

Thanks for your input on solving this long running problem Stacey.

Confirm that the -1 adjustment of Duo contrast no longer necessary.
Your clipping pattern on the S & M disc is as it should be for primaries plus white.

I output RGB and have found as you have that recalibration is necessary.
But that's not too much of a problem with this great piece of equipment (even if work needed is now times two with 'day' and 'night' options).
post #18 of 83 Old 12-31-2010, 11:46 PM

still hdcp errors when second output is enabled. Gonna fix this?
post #19 of 83 Old 02-11-2011, 08:10 AM

I was calibrating using the CMS on the Duo (f/w 2.30) last night... good tool, crappy interface. Is there a util out there somewhere that can direct control some or all of the functions via the serial interface?

I looked at the protocol and everything is there... (i.e query/set any of the CMS parameters) I was thinking of writing one but I wondered if anybody else had beat me to it.

thanx.
post #20 of 83 Old 02-11-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartman View Post

I was calibrating using the CMS on the Duo (f/w 2.30) last night... good tool, crappy interface. Is there a util out there somewhere that can direct control some or all of the functions via the serial interface?

I looked at the protocol and everything is there... (i.e query/set any of the CMS parameters) I was thinking of writing one but I wondered if anybody else had beat me to it.

thanx.

Nothing exists at the mo that I'm aware of, but if you created something which could read and write the CMS data for backup and firmware upgrade etc., I think you'd make a lot of friends. It would be really handy if you could copy Day to Night (or vica versa) as well.
post #21 of 83 Old 02-11-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:

thanx.

CalMAN 4.0 and on can control the Duo's CMS. The expert version is more automated but the home version can interface as per this review.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/diy/1...calman-41.html

I am looking into doing a calibration myself once I hit 100+ hrs on my RS60 but I am still undecided. A good quality meter will cost me more at first then having someone do it for me.
post #22 of 83 Old 02-11-2011, 09:32 AM

OK...

I'll look into writing something... copy day to night is a good idea. Might even look at making "presets" so you can store more than a DAY or NIGHT too.
post #23 of 83 Old 02-14-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:

Nothing exists at the mo that I'm aware of, but if you created something which could read and write the CMS data for backup and firmware upgrade etc., I think you'd make a lot of friends. It would be really handy if you could copy Day to Night (or vica versa) as well.

Here is what I've got at this point... copy day/night can be accomplished by dumping to file and reloading but I could automate. Still have some testing to do and need to reduce the verbosity in the log window... but, basically, it works perfectly...

any input?
LL
LL
LL
post #24 of 83 Old 02-14-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:

Here is what I've got at this point... copy day/night can be accomplished by dumping to file and reloading but I could automate. Still have some testing to do and need to reduce the verbosity in the log window... but, basically, it works perfectly...

any input?

I'll have a think, but I don't think it needs a whole load of clever functionality - the copy would be nice. I guess the next really cheeky question would be - now that you've got the interface etc. cracked, how much more work would it be to add all of the other settings as well - even if it was just a straight backup/reload without any tweaking or interface - maybe just a loop through all of the available, legit settings and dump them to a file?
post #25 of 83 Old 02-14-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
I'll have a think, but I don't think it needs a whole load of clever functionality - the copy would be nice. I guess the next really cheeky question would be - now that you've got the interface etc. cracked, how much more work would it be to add all of the other settings as well - even if it was just a straight backup/reload without any tweaking or interface - maybe just a loop through all of the available, legit settings and dump them to a file?
Adding a full settings backup is in my plans... this issue will be tracking the changes to available settings between firmware releases.

The goal in setting out to do this was initially get direct access to the CMS system as using the IR remote to calibrate my RS50 was for the birds. I could likely accomplish the same settings changes in about 20-30mins now...

from bone stock to calibrated was more like 1.5-2hrs the other night and my thumb still hurts from pressing the remote buttons... Uhggg...

-mike
post #26 of 83 Old 04-03-2011, 05:15 AM

Quote:

Adding a full settings backup is in my plans... this issue will be tracking the changes to available settings between firmware releases.

The goal in setting out to do this was initially get direct access to the CMS system as using the IR remote to calibrate my RS50 was for the birds. I could likely accomplish the same settings changes in about 20-30mins now...

from bone stock to calibrated was more like 1.5-2hrs the other night and my thumb still hurts from pressing the remote buttons... Uhggg...

-mike

Hi Kartman

Any chance of posting a version of your backup tool. My Duo is being replaced next week and it would be great to not have to manually re-enter the entire CMS setup

Thanks

pete S
post #27 of 83 Old 04-03-2011, 05:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

any input?

Hi kartman

Any change I could get a copy???
Would really like a copy of your backup tool!
After doing CMS and grayscale sure would be nice to copy and reload my settings.

Thanks
Rew

Rew
BenQ W1070 |Lumagen RadianceXS-3D |Panasonic BDT310
Denon AVR-x5200w | C =Polk Audio C10 |FL/FR =Axiom M60 |SL/SR =Axiom QS4 |TFL/TFR =Bose 161 |TRL/TRR =Bose 161 |Sub =Titanic Mk 10"
post #28 of 83 Old 04-05-2011, 10:38 PM

Hi all,

I've been working on a control panel for the iScan Duo to make setting up the CMS a little bit easier. It uses serial automation to query and set configuration parameters. I've only tested the software with firmware v2.30.

It supports backing up most of the parameters that the serial automation protocol makes available. User Chromaticity parameters are currently disabled, as for some reason my Duo freezes every time I query a User Chromaticity parameter (firmware bug?). Also, the Duo must have a valid input and output for this software to work.

It requires Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0.

You can download from here:
http://www.cellophanesoftware.com/is...panel_v0.5.zip

Screenshots:
http://www.cellophanesoftware.com/is...creenshot1.jpg
http://www.cellophanesoftware.com/is...creenshot2.jpg

Kind regards,
Michael
post #29 of 83 Old 04-05-2011, 11:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
This is very exciting, thanks a mil Michael.

post #30 of 83 Old 04-06-2011, 01:57 AM

Small update to control panel:
- Added ability to change numeric increments
- Added automatic test pattern changing according to which numeric CMS control is in focus
Reply Video Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page