Where to place Scaler in video chain - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-12-2010, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 214
I recently acquired a Lumagen vision DVI for a price that I could not resist. Now the question for you that have some experience with this is where to place the scaler in the video chain.

My set up consist mainly of the following components:

PS3 HDMI out to receiver
Sony BDP-CX960 HDMI to receiver
DirecTv HR-20 700 component/optical to receiver
DirecTivo S-Video/optical to receiver
Philips VCR/DVD S-Video/coax to receiver
Onkyo Ipod Dock DS-A2 composit/RCA to reciver

Onkyo TX-SR805 HDMI to TV

I know I could just place the Lumagen from Reciever to Lumagen to TV using DVI/HDMI adapter, calibrate for one input and still use the receiver to switch between components.

Now if I go from the components to the Lumagen I would need 2 HDMI splitter so I can keep lossless audio. Any of you have experience with these splitters? Would this be recommended?

The rest of the components will go to the Lumagen for video and to the receiver for audio, I would also go from the receiver to the TV using component, just for calibrating and adjusting the receiver.

Is it worth it placing the Lumagen directly to the components?

Would greatly appreciate your input.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
Screening Room - The Dream House
RPCRT-TV Overscan Reduction
Reference Blu-Ray Demo Disc

Reference 2: Blu-Ray Demo Disc

The Best of the Demo Discs Demo Disc

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-20-2010, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well I got my box, the divi to hdmi adapters, 2 hdmi splitters and some hdim cables.

I plugged it in, for now, directly from the receiver to lumagen to tv. I like what I see so far, and just with minor adjustments.

I'll calibrate this output and see how it works with the other components.
If the hdmi splitters work and pass a ture HD audio then I'll consider going to the lumagen directly form each component and adjusting each input.

Keep tuned kids!!!

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

post #3 of 5 Old 11-28-2010, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ran into a little problem; after a couple of days with the processor running flawlessly... receiver > processor > tv then the image started either to go black or like in the old days the screen with snow. I checked the firmware for the scaler and it needed to be updated.
The processor updated with no problem, set the processor back up and it didn't help.

I tested the processor on another tv and there was no issue. It looks like a HDMI handshake issue. I've done some internet and Lumagen forums searching with nothing specific.

One thing I can say while testing on another tv with SD material is that the upscaling looks amazing.

Let you all know ... I really want to get it going, and after attesting of what it does to SD sources I'll most likely set it up with the components going to the Lumagen.

If any one knows anything about this or have any suggestions, please let me know.

post #4 of 5 Old 12-06-2010, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
To test if it really is a HDCP issue try and connect a source like a DVD with component cables directly to the VP. If there is a setting to turn of HDCP in the VP menu do so. If you get a good picture with HDCP off then yes it is a HDCP issue. Another cause could be a bad adapter or cable combination. I have heard but never verified that it is better to use a DVI to HDMI cable rather than an adapter. I don't see the difference but you maybe just at the threshold of signal level for the TV. Does it have a second HDMI input? You might try it. I place my VP between my receiver and the projector. Since the projector doesn't have audio I have to route the sound out of the receiver anyway. So first try a non HDCP source and next swap cables and or HDMI inputs to the TV. How long is the cable between the VP and the TV? You could move it closer for testing. If now it works OK then it is a signal level issue and not a HDMI issue. Let us know.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-07-2010, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGINC View Post
To test if it really is a HDCP issue try and connect a source like a DVD with component cables directly to the VP. If there is a setting to turn of HDCP in the VP menu do so. If you get a good picture with HDCP off then yes it is a HDCP issue. Another cause could be a bad adapter or cable combination. I have heard but never verified that it is better to use a DVI to HDMI cable rather than an adapter. I don't see the difference but you maybe just at the threshold of signal level for the TV. Does it have a second HDMI input? You might try it. I place my VP between my receiver and the projector. Since the projector doesn't have audio I have to route the sound out of the receiver anyway. So first try a non HDCP source and next swap cables and or HDMI inputs to the TV. How long is the cable between the VP and the TV? You could move it closer for testing. If now it works OK then it is a signal level issue and not a HDMI issue. Let us know.
Thanks for the suggestions, it sure makes sense and yes the Lumagen can turn off the HDCP check so I'll try it that way.

The tv where I want to set up the VP only has one HDMI input and I believe its only 1.1, not sure if that would make any difference.

For testing purposes the connections go 10ft HDMI cable PS3 > receiver, 10ft HDMI cable Sony BDP-CX960 >receiver, 12ft component/toslink DirecTv HR20-700 > receiver, and then 25ft HDMI >Lumagen, then 3ft HDMI through DVI adapter to TV. So to answer your question, the cables might be an issue to. Like you suggested, I'll do a test with a plain DVD short run cables and see what happens.

Also, In my quest to get this going, and taken the HDCP as the main issue and bought a HDFuryI that I'll test through component.

Thanks for the brain storming.

Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page