Old 01-24-2012, 05:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post

If you want to use the rs-232 command interface, of course you can access directly the 15 v-shift values:

ZY5160XX
ZY5161XXSVVV
Set input vertical shift-- Can just switch which vertical shift setting is
being used with ZY5160XX where XX=0-15 (0 is off, 1-15 would be a
vertical shift setting). With ZY5161XXSVVV you select which shift
setting to use (XX) and also set the value (S=sign<+,->,VVV=value <-
511,511>)

I was only talking about remote control (OEM or universal)/IR access.

You should read the technical tips on the lumagen forum and the user manual of the mini, that would give you a better idea of the potential of the beast.

Will do.

One area of concern: as I skimmed the forum link you gave, it seemed to indicate that using the V-shift can result in additional scaling to the image...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2012, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Will do.

One area of concern: as I skimmed the forum link you gave, it seemed to indicate that using the V-shift can result in additional scaling to the image...?

This is all covered in the link Manni provided to the AR / shift thread in the Lumagen forums here: http://www.convergent-av.co.uk/forum...313aaf22199d85 .

Please continue any discussions specific to vertical shift in that dedicated topic.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:17 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Guys, I just have basic computer skills. I recently bought the Lumagen Mini 3d and I decided to update the firmware. The trouble is that I cannot establish connection between my laptop that runs 64 bit W7. As a USB serial adaptor I am using Belkin. I have the drivers for W7. I have put the right COM port (in my case 7).
When I connect the laptop and the Mini they seem not to pair each other?? Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamenoff View Post

Guys, I just have basic computer skills. I recently bought the Lumagen Mini 3d and I decided to update the firmware. The trouble is that I cannot establish connection between my laptop that runs 64 bit W7. As a USB serial adaptor I am using Belkin. I have the drivers for W7. I have put the right COM port (in my case 7).
When I connect the laptop and the Mini they seem not to pair each other?? Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

If it's anything like my Kuro, it only works when I set it on COM1 and with the KeySpan USB adapter. I tried a couple of other cables and adapters and they didn't work. I wasn't using Win7, I'm just saying that might not be your problem.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamenoff View Post

Thanks in advance.

I had the same problem when my computer was allocating a high COM port number (12). Likely, I had #2 available. When I switched to it, it worked.

If that is not the case, verify that you have a null serial cable. Last, it could be an issue with the USB serial adapter. Apparently, not all of them work.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I use the original serial cable supplied by Lumagen. As concern the adaptor I understand that people had troubles to find suitable driver for W7. I have the driver but apparently is something more there. How can I see if the Mini and the computer are connected? I am affraid to experiment with the COM port numbers since the firt time I tried the Mini completely blocked and I had to do factory reset and my Kuro started to make funny noises...
Anyway, thanks for the feedback.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:15 PM

Liked: 10
Hello. I hope someone here might be able to answer this question. I have an Oppo-93 and Directv DVR I want to run through the mini. I just read at Lumagen's website that they do not recommend the signal pass through the AVR (SC-57) after leaving the Lumagen as some video "processing" will take place in the SC-57, thereby causing artifact.

Can someone please recommend the least complicated means of configuring this so that the signal goes through the AVR and then to the Lumagen?

Thank you in advance.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Glad to see you decided to buy a Radiance. I think you will see a definite benefit with the Elite. Regarding your question, many AVR's have a pass thru mode where the incoming signal is not "corrupted" by internal processing. If yours has this and it is effective, you should be able to route inputs to the AVR, use it as a switcher, and send output to Radiance. I am sure actual Mini owners can also provide more specific advice. I have an XD.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post

Glad to see you decided to buy a Radiance. I think you will see a definite benefit with the Elite. Regarding your question, many AVR's have a pass thru mode where the incoming signal is not "corrupted" by internal processing. If yours has this and it is effective, you should be able to route inputs to the AVR, use it as a switcher, and send output to Radiance. I am sure actual Mini owners can also provide more specific advice. I have an XD.

Hi. Thanks for responding. There is a "video conversion off" function which supposedly bypasses video processing. What I'm concerned about is if I find some processing does take place, thereby eliminating the "through the AVR" route, what configuration is possible with the mini, or will I have to return it?
Old 01-27-2012, 08:59 AM

Can anybody shed some light on how to use the Radiance with a 2.35 screen and no anamorphic lenses) ? Tried to follow-up on previous threads (here and on the Lumagen forum) but all reference the older menus in Radiance that don't make sense anymore.

I'm assuming that it is better to implement the shifting between 2.35 & 16:9 material thru the Radiance to save on wearing the JVC's lenses.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
You can do this right now but the procedure involves a number of steps. We will be posting SW Rev 011612 which has a new "Letter Box Zoom" control in the menu.

Enough Radiance owners are using the the zoom method for displaying a 2.35 image, using a 16:9 projector with a 2.35 screen, that we decided to simplify the setup. We will post a technical tip next week with a simple procedure to set up a 2.35 screen using the zoom method.

The new control also makes it very easy to setup a 16:9 screen with top masking. We will also be posting a technical tip with a simple procedure to set up a top masked 16:9 screen.

Randy Freeman
Lumagen Support
Old 01-27-2012, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfpublic View Post

You can do this right now but the procedure involves a number of steps. We will be posting SW Rev 011612 which has a new "Letter Box Zoom" control in the menu.

Enough Radiance owners are using the the zoom method for displaying a 2.35 image, using a 16:9 projector with a 2.35 screen, that we decided to simplify the setup. We will post a technical tip next week with a simple procedure to set up a 2.35 screen using the zoom method.

The new control also makes it very easy to setup a 16:9 screen with top masking. We will also be posting a technical tip with a simple procedure to set up a top masked 16:9 screen.

Randy Freeman
Lumagen Support

Wonderful !!! Thanks Randy!
Old 01-27-2012, 04:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
Quote:

Randy Freeman
Lumagen Support

cool...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

Old 01-28-2012, 07:27 AM

Thanks. Perfect timing.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pannus View Post

Hi. Thanks for responding. There is a "video conversion off" function which supposedly bypasses video processing. What I'm concerned about is if I find some processing does take place, thereby eliminating the "through the AVR" route, what configuration is possible with the mini, or will I have to return it?

You should be OK if you set you AVR to "video conversion off". The Mini will tell you what it is receiving so you can readily verify that the AVR is not processing the video signal.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:43 PM
jrp
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 40
You should be aware that some AVR's create video artifacts even when they are placed in "bypass" mode. These entail at least a bandwidth reduction.

I know this since a magazine reviewer thought it was the Radiance doing this in his setup "since the AVR is in pass-through mode." After I got him to take the AVR out of the video path he realized it was the AVR causing the issues and not the Radiance.

We recommend the RadianceXS-3D or RadianceXE-3D so as to avoid having to use the AVR for video such as is a common setup when using the RadianceMini-3D. This allows the Radiance to do all A/V switching and just send audio to the AVR.

Sorry I can't comment publicly on which ones we know do this, and of course not all AVRs have issues in their "pass-through" mode. If you know for certain your AVR has a clean passthrough mode, then putting a RadianceMini-3D between the AVR output and the display/projector is a reasonable option. If not, I suggest you consider a RadianceXS-3D instead, and let it do the A/V switching.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
Old 01-28-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp View Post

You should be aware that some AVR's create video artifacts even when they are placed in "bypass" mode. These entail at least a bandwidth reduction.

I know this since a magazine reviewer thought it was the Radiance doing this in his setup "since the AVR is in pass-through mode." After I got him to take the AVR out of the video path he realized it was the AVR causing the issues and not the Radiance.

We recommend the RadianceXS-3D or RadianceXE-3D so as to avoid having to use the AVR for video such as is a common setup when using the RadianceMini-3D. This allows the Radiance to do all A/V switching and just send audio to the AVR.

Sorry I can't comment publicly on which ones we know do this, and of course not all AVRs have issues in their "pass-through" mode. If you know for certain your AVR has a clean passthrough mode, then putting a RadianceMini-3D between the AVR output and the display/projector is a reasonable option. If not, I suggest you consider a RadianceXS-3D instead, and let it do the A/V switching.

Could/would you PM me if the Pioneer SC-57 is one of those receivers? I have a Mini ordered and would like to cancel it if the Pioneer is a known offender. Thank you.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:12 PM

Only reason I'm going thru the AVR is to get the AVR's OSD. I have the Denon 4311CI and it has tons of information to show.
The 4311 has 2 key options as far as video: what is calls a conversion step and a scaler. I'm turning the latter off (and my Radiance is getting the exact input). The conversion option allows the AVR to superimpose the menu over the image. Nice to have and most likely could introduce some artifacts (haven't seen any myself), but not a must.

Is there a way to have a configuration where all sources are connected to the Radiance but still have access to the AVR OSD?
Old 01-29-2012, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 113
This might work. My Yamaha has a composite output that I run to one of my XD's inputs which I switch to when I need to use the OSD. If your AVRs have the same output, you could try plugging that in to the composite input on the TV and switch to that input for OSD.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:30 AM

The Onkyo PR-SC5508 has an option to Skip video processing that claims to turn off all processing (press vcr/dvr and return on the front panel). I read a few conflicting posts, specifically about deep color settings, in the receiver section on whether it operates as a true pass-through or not. I don't need to run my Oppo 93 through the Onkyo before connecting to the mini 3D and the mini 3D to the JVC RS55 but it would simplify operation.

Can anyone confirm whether the 5508 is a pure HDMI pass-through with no processing?
Old 01-29-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp View Post

Sorry I can't comment publicly on which ones we know do this

Why not?
Old 01-29-2012, 12:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHolland View Post

The Onkyo PR-SC5508 has an option to “Skip” video processing that claims to turn off all processing (press vcr/dvr and return on the front panel). I read a few conflicting posts, specifically about deep color settings, in the receiver section on whether it operates as a true pass-through or not. I don’t need to run my Oppo 93 through the Onkyo before connecting to the mini 3D and the mini 3D to the JVC RS55 but it would simplify operation.

Can anyone confirm whether the 5508 is a pure HDMI pass-through with no processing?

I can only note the following: I had been using my Onkyo 3008 with the 'Through' setting in the'Monitor Out' menu, which guarantees that the output resolution from the AVR is the same as what it receives. (I send the output of the AVR to the Mini3D and from there to a RS20 projector). However I was unaware that it did not by-pass all video processing. I only recently became aware of the 'Skip' setting that one can select in a more hidden fashion; i.e., it's not a selection in a menu, but is described in the manual (pg 25). And 'Skip' is described as turning off all video processing.

After making this 'Skip' selection I think I noticed a slight improvement in PQ with high quality sources (BD, good HDTV), but this was already so good that I couldn't be sure. But when looking at an SDTV source (which I do only rarely), the improvement was DRAMATIC. This makes me believe that the 'Skip' selection does indeed pass the video through the AVR with no VP'ing of any type.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:56 PM

I finally got my Mini 3D along with EyeOne Display 3 sensor and Chromapure Software auto-cal combo.
After struggling with drivers stuff to have the USB-to-serial adaptor working, I managed to have the Auto calibration software running in a XP mini laptop (W7 adaptor pending).
WOW, what a difference on PQ a properly calibrated display makes.. lots of pop, great depth. Just a beautiful image from Oppo 93 / JVS RS40 combo.

Now, the not so great stuff: I have never felt so ignorant until dealing with the Mini 3D user manual. Way over my head!
To begin with, beautiful image but no sound whatsoever.
I have a OPPO 93 player connected to input 1 and a Directv box to input 2.

Also, as my first calibration was made with iris fully open and lamp at normal, I'd like to make a second calibration with lamp set High for afternoon viewing (room not completely dark). For this I'd like the calibration to be assigned to an output mode other than Mode 0.

Believe me, I have read the user manual, this thread, and every related review a few
times, but sorry, this is still like trying to read Chinese for me!

I feel I bought a Formula One car, but don't know how to drive it! haha.

I hope someone could give some guide on this beautiful, awesome machine.
regards
Jose
Old 01-29-2012, 07:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by josesol View Post

I finally got my Mini 3D along with EyeOne Display 3 sensor and Chromapure Software auto-cal combo.
After struggling with drivers stuff to have the USB-to-serial adaptor working, I managed to have the Auto calibration software running in a XP mini laptop (W7 adaptor pending).
WOW, what a difference on PQ a properly calibrated display makes.. lots of pop, great depth. Just a beautiful image from Oppo 93 / JVS RS40 combo.

Now, the not so great stuff: I have never felt so ignorant until dealing with the Mini 3D user manual. Way over my head!
To begin with, beautiful image but no sound whatsoever.
I have a OPPO 93 player connected to input 1 and a Directv box to input 2.

Also, as my first calibration was made with iris fully open and lamp at normal, I'd like to make a second calibration with lamp set High for afternoon viewing (room not completely dark). For this I'd like the calibration to be assigned to an output mode other than Mode 0.

Believe me, I have read the user manual, this thread, and every related review a few
times, but sorry, this is still like trying to read Chinese for me!

I feel I bought a Formula One car, but don't know how to drive it! haha.

I hope someone could give some guide on this beautiful, awesome machine.
regards
Jose

Ok, I've been tentatively considering jumping into the Lumagen pool with the mini. I'm already afraid of having to become a "techy" just to add a new device to my system...but now you've scared me.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:

Randy Freeman
Lumagen Support

Hi Randy:

Have you already posted the technical tips on how to use the RS45 (or similar) with a 2.35 screen? Frankly, I'm still stuck and yesterday couldn't figure out even how to stretch a 4:3 picture (that is coming thru satellite as a 16:9 AR).

Thanks.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:53 PM

I wasn't sure if I should start a separate thread for this or not. So, just let me know and I can create a new thread.

My issue is that when I introduce the Mini3D into the HDMI chain I no longer get 3D @ 1080p24, rather I get 720p@60. I tried forcing the Mini to output 1080p24, but it doesn't seem to do anything. It's highly probably that it's not the Mini, per se, but rather what the player or PC is doing based on some EDID information or something.

In my current setup I'm using Total Media Theater 5 player on my PC with an AMD 6970 video card. The chain is HDMI from the PC -> Onkyo 809 -> Lumagen Mini ->JVC RS-45.

I'm not sure what other information would be helpful. But, if I can provide some more information that would help solve the issue, just let me know. Any insight on how to solve this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 02-04-2012, 03:57 PM

^^^
As a starting point, the Output info screen (on the Radiance) will help you isolate the problem: it will tell you what is coming into the Lumagen and what is going out.
If what is coming is 720p60, then the culprit would be your PC or your AVR. You can also check the status/info screen on your onkyo (most likely it has one) that would spell out the input format.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouradb View Post

^^^
As a starting point, the Output info screen (on the Radiance) will help you isolate the problem: it will tell you what is coming into the Lumagen and what is going out.
If what is coming is 720p60, then the culprit would be your PC or your AVR. You can also check the status/info screen on your onkyo (most likely it has one) that would spell out the input format.

I did a quick check and the Lumagen is receiving 720p60 from the AVR, so I assume that the PC is sending a 720p signal.

I tried moving to Lumagen between the PC and the AVR and, when I do that, the image is shifted to the left a bit and 3D doesn't seem to work at all. When trying to play a 3D movie The Lumagen generates some "operation could not be compeleted..." message.

EDIT: Also, if I remove the AVR from the equation, the Lumagen produces the same error.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamprey View Post

I wasn't sure if I should start a separate thread for this or not. So, just let me know and I can create a new thread.

My issue is that when I introduce the Mini3D into the HDMI chain I no longer get 3D @ 1080p24, rather I get 720p@60. I tried forcing the Mini to output 1080p24, but it doesn't seem to do anything. It's highly probably that it's not the Mini, per se, but rather what the player or PC is doing based on some EDID information or something.

In my current setup I'm using Total Media Theater 5 player on my PC with an AMD 6970 video card. The chain is HDMI from the PC -> Onkyo 809 -> Lumagen Mini ->JVC RS-45.

I'm not sure what other information would be helpful. But, if I can provide some more information that would help solve the issue, just let me know. Any insight on how to solve this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

If you are not using a later or the latest firmware you may want to try updating it. Just note what version of the firmware you have to start with so you can roll back if it should introduce any issues. I have no idea whether this will help you but its a good thing to try especially if your firmware is rather dated (even if it doesn't fix this it may fix or improve other things for you). The firmware is available on the Lumagen web site.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:09 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:

Randy Freeman
Lumagen Support

Anybody figured out how to do this yet?