Forum Jump: 
 14Likes

post #31 of 1327 Old 01-09-2011, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It just jumps from one size to the other. You get a small one line of text overlay at the bottom of the screen when you change aspect ratios that goes away in about 2 seconds.

Shawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1327 Old 01-09-2011, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Is there an option for rack ears on the mini3D ?
post #33 of 1327 Old 01-09-2011, 08:37 PM
jrp
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S View Post

... 1) A quick question, does changing the V-stretch from H-Squeeze happen without any 'info' bars appearing (I don't like the big yellow info box when the Edge does this) and

2) does it 'jump' or smoothy change from one shape to the next?

1) By default the OSD shows the input and new aspect ratio when you select one. You can turn the OSD off so input selection and aspect selection does not show anything on the screen if you prefer.

2) The aspect change "jumps." I actually prefer this for my own system. So far no one has been asking for a smooth transition. We could consider such a feature if enough people ask.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
post #34 of 1327 Old 01-09-2011, 08:42 PM
jrp
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonj View Post

Is there an option for rack ears on the mini3D ?

The RadianceMini 3D is not rack mountable.

It is 8.5" by 5" by 1.05" with mounting tabs to fasten it to a shelf or a wall.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
post #35 of 1327 Old 01-10-2011, 01:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 48
That's good that any OSD can be turned off if required. I don't mind the jump in AR, but I found the smooth transistion that the Edge does is quite cool, apart from the big yellow info square, so 1:0 for the Mini3D on this score.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #36 of 1327 Old 01-10-2011, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 54
SO... given a 3D Blu Ray player and disc, fed into the Mini3D, let the Mini handle the vertical stretch for to Panamorph users and then feed the HDMI from the Mini3D into a 3D ready DLP projector like the Acer H5360 or Optoma HD66 and you're good to go or is something else needed (realizing glasses have to be figured into the equation, of course). Just wondering if the Mini3D is a higher end, much more full featured alternative to the Optoma 3DXL, even for those that may just want to dip our toes in the 3D water with a cheapy 720p 3D ready proj. With the Lumagen, you at least are getting a top knotch video processor/scaler. Am I missing anything here?
post #37 of 1327 Old 01-11-2011, 11:07 PM
jrp
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSHA222 View Post

SO...

1) given a 3D Blu Ray player and disc, fed into the Mini3D, let the Mini handle the vertical stretch for to Panamorph users and then feed the HDMI from the Mini3D ...

2) into a 3D ready DLP projector like the Acer H5360 or Optoma HD66 and you're good to go or is something else needed (realizing glasses have to be figured into the equation, of course).

3) Just wondering if the Mini3D is a higher end, much more full featured alternative to the Optoma 3DXL, even for those that may just want to dip our toes in the 3D water with a cheapy 720p 3D ready proj. With the Lumagen, you at least are getting a top knotch video processor/scaler. Am I missing anything here?

1) The Mini can do the anamorphic stretch as you suggest.

2) In the next week or so we will have a "frame-sequential 3D" mode at 720p120 for "3D ready" digital projectors, and 720p96 for CRT projectors. 720p120 can also be used for CRT projectors but it is looking like 720p96 is perhaps the best trade-off between "ghosting" and "flicker."

Note you will need either our upcoming external PC style 3-pin mini-DIN 3D glasses driver box, or your own HDMI "Vsync to 3D glasses" driver. If the 3D ready projector has its own 3D glasses output, that could also work.

3) Sounds like you have it right.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
post #38 of 1327 Old 01-11-2011, 11:54 PM
AVS Special Member

So a DLP link projector and compatible glasses would do the trick. thanks
post #39 of 1327 Old 01-12-2011, 12:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 586
Not only is this a great 3D solution for many 3D problems we as a community are facing it gives you the best 2D processing available in the consumer price class. This processor is a life time investment (or at least a long time investment until greater than 1080p projectors become mainstream). Every year new projectors come out making you seriously consider doing a projector switch. Since I purchased my Lumagen Radiance many years ago I have never wished for another processor. JRP just keeps new software coming mostly at no charge that gives me features that otherwise might require a new processor. I am one happy camper and that wasn`t the case with processors from competitors some of which continue in business and some of which are now defunct. If you buy a Radiance mini3D at the great AVS introductory price you won't be sorry in any way. Do yourself a big favor and treat yourself to one of these. Yea. I sell them for AVS but my words are those of a Radiance owner. The company, its policies, its customer service, are unparalled in the processor industry.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #40 of 1327 Old 01-12-2011, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

. This processor is a life time investment (or at least a long time investment until greater than 1080p projectors become mainstream.

Are you refering to 4k here Mark..and then we`ll need to upgrade the Lumagen again? My question maybe be a bit premature but there seems to be rumblings of 4k on the cards here and there,can it be to long before JVC for example bring out a `domestic` 4k device?
post #41 of 1327 Old 01-12-2011, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Any word on range for infitec?
post #42 of 1327 Old 01-12-2011, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So a DLP link projector and compatible glasses would do the trick. thanks

I wanted to clarify what I was wondering - A DLP link Projector, such as the Optoma HD66 would do the trick as long as you had enough DLP link glasses for you and your guests.

So right now, 3D is a reality provided you have the following:

(1) Lumagen Mini3D

(1) 3D Blu ray Player like the Panasonic DMP-BDT100

(1) Optoma HD66

(1) DLP Link Glasses (haven't really looked into the options on those just yet)

Plus the Mini would also do superb 2D processing. Is anything else needed as long as you are viewing commercially available 3D releases?
post #43 of 1327 Old 01-12-2011, 01:01 PM
jrp
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wanted to clarify what I was wondering - A DLP link Projector, such as the Optoma HD66 would do the trick as long as you had enough DLP link glasses for you and your guests.

So right now, 3D is a reality provided you have the following:

(1) Lumagen Mini3D

(1) 3D Blu ray Player like the Panasonic DMP-BDT100

(1) Optoma HD66

(1) DLP Link Glasses (haven't really looked into the options on those just yet)

Plus the Mini would also do superb 2D processing. Is anything else needed as long as you are viewing commercially available 3D releases?

If the HD66 accepts 720p120, and displays at 720p120, then you should be good to go with our Mini and frame-sequential 3D. Does it?

Again note that 720p120 frame-sequential 3D is a week or so away from release.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
post #44 of 1327 Old 01-12-2011, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

It does, but even for it (and other dlp link projectors like it), a syncronized output would be a much better option! Two reasons:

1) while the issue is being inflated by some, there is a valid limitation in DLP link syncronization with 120hz sequential sources in that the projectors do not know which frame in the sequence is left or right. Therefore, 50% of the time when starting a 3d sequence you must select 'invert' in the projector menu. I personally do that, and it's not a big deal at all, but explicitly syncronized glasses would be better.

2) When DLP Link syncronization is used, there is a white flash between frames which causes severe degradation of black levels when viewed without glasses. Of course, you'll be using glasses when viewing 3d content anyway, but 120hz is a very useful display mode for 2d content as well (in that 24hz and 60hz content both convert in smooth multiples, so no judder with either content). Assuming you have new Optoma firmware, you can view 120hz with DLP link turned off for 2d modes (or 3d modes if using external sync). If you use 120hz 2d content AND 3d content with DLP link, you'd have to go into the projector menu to turn the link on and off manually. Having external sync for 3d means you could use 120hz all the time and never have to enter the menu to set dlp link mode.

Both of these issues come down to user convenience (not having to mess with settings in the menu), but that can be important

Actually, though - that brings another question. Can the radiance convert 24hz/60hz material to 120hz, or does it only implement 120hz for 3d conversions?
post #45 of 1327 Old 01-12-2011, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow - lots to know. Optoma HD66 will be strictly used for 3D, nothing else.
post #46 of 1327 Old 01-12-2011, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp View Post

If the HD66 accepts 720p120, and displays at 720p120, then you should be good to go with our Mini and frame-sequential 3D. Does it?

Again note that 720p120 frame-sequential 3D is a week or so away from release.

Well I know it accepts 720p120 page flip, I believe. Not sure about displaying at 120 since I assumed, never a good thing, the each eye would see 720p 60. I don't know. Really need to research some more to know for sure what works and how.
post #47 of 1327 Old 01-13-2011, 09:12 PM
jrp
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by defiancecp View Post

It does, but even for it (and other dlp link projectors like it), a syncronized output would be a much better option! Two reasons:

1) while the issue is being inflated by some, there is a valid limitation in DLP link syncronization with 120hz sequential sources in that the projectors do not know which frame in the sequence is left or right.

2) When DLP Link syncronization is used, there is a white flash between frames which causes severe degradation of black levels when viewed without glasses. ... Having external sync for 3d means you could use 120hz all the time and never have to enter the menu to set dlp link mode.

3) Actually, though - that brings another question. Can the radiance convert 24hz/60hz material to 120hz, or does it only implement 120hz for 3d conversions?

1) Our external PC style "3-pin MiniDIN" 3D glasses driver box can be adjusted as to when to switch eyes and which eye is active. So once set up it should always be correct as to which eye and switch point. Note: Switch point is needed since glasses vary in switching delay.

2) Not sure what this is. Is it their 3D glasses driver? If so and it is an issue you can use ours.

3) You can convert 2D sources to output as 720p120.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
post #48 of 1327 Old 01-13-2011, 09:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Will the Radiance Mini3D (HDMI 1.4) work with the Meridian HD621? Otherwise, it's goodbye Blu-Ray sound for me.
post #49 of 1327 Old 01-13-2011, 10:37 PM
jrp
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnvid View Post

Will the Radiance Mini3D (HDMI 1.4) work with the Meridian HD621? Otherwise, it's goodbye Blu-Ray sound for me.

We have an HD621 here, and all Radiance units work with the HD621 in front of or behind the Radiance.

Assuming you need 3D: I'm not sure the HD621 will work with 3D, so you might need to have a RadianceXS (or XE) in front of the HD621 to accept 3D and split off audio (only) to the HD621 on our output1 and 2D/3D video on our output 2 to the display/projector.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
post #50 of 1327 Old 01-14-2011, 06:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Thank you, Jim. I have a Radiance XD and it has worked extremely well. Could I get it upgraded for 3D (HDMI 1.4)? Sorry if you have been asked that question too many times.
post #51 of 1327 Old 01-14-2011, 07:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

This processor is a life time investment (or at least a long time investment until greater than 1080p projectors become mainstream. Since I purchased my Lumagen Radiance many years ago I have never wished for another processor.

As an owner of a older Lumagen HD Pro, I fully agree with what Mark says above. Even though the output is DVI, it's currently no issue, since BluRay is still 8 bit color, and there doesn't seem to be any movement to True Color, as long as 3D is center stage.

My HD Pro has the SDI input and with my modded Pioneer DVD player outputing SDI direct from the disc, the picture from a well mastered DVD is exceptional, and better than from any BR player upconverting.

Because I have so many inputs (two DVRs using component, the DVD via SDI, an HD-DVD and BR via HDMI) having the HD Pro makes switching easy via my programmable remote. What's more significant is that I can dial in the color/tint/B&W levels for each input separately, and output either 1080p or 108024p as needed. I simply can't imagine not having a video processor, and the HD Pro is the best.

As Mark says, there probably won't be any new formats any time soon. Frankly, 3D is not living up to the hype, folks hate the glasses and their added expense, and it will soon fade, being a niche format only.

So, I'm set for the foreseeable future.

J.Mike
Those who die with the most toys ... are still dead!
post #52 of 1327 Old 01-18-2011, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Mike Ferrara View Post

As Mark says, there probably won't be any new formats any time soon. Frankly, 3D is not living up to the hype, folks hate the glasses and their added expense, and it will soon fade, being a niche format only.

So, I'm set for the foreseeable future.

We see this kind of statement every time there is a new technology and early prices are high. We are still in a relatively early adopter phase.

Take Blue-ray as a primary example in the last couple years... with current player prices very cheap + a large and increasing discount on Disc prices (I'm seeing a huge number of Discs available at last years DVD prices), adoption of Blue-ray is really taking off - finally. The proponents last year touted its demise.

Certainly 3D display capabilities should improve drastically over the next couple years - and maybe eliminate the need for glasses altogether, but the basics of 3D left-eye/right-eye stereoscopy should remain for quite some time as likely will the content formats (per the industry specs).

As long as studios continue to make 3D movies there will be a demand for this format in homes. The only movies that I've gone to a theater to see in the last year have been 3D... and that was with sucky "Real3D". Adding in 3D broadcast channels and live events only makes the platform all the more viable.

Feel free to take the 3D argument over to the 3D threads... they like seeing dinosaurs wander in there to be tread upon

Those who die with no toys, missed their opportunity.

Coolplazma's HT Den project. Early project info. Needs update with final results.
post #53 of 1327 Old 01-18-2011, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

"I have a Radiance XD and it has worked extremely well. Could I get it upgraded for 3D (HDMI 1.4)? "

Yes, you can purchase a software key to add 3D support on the Radiance XD. MSRP is $500.

Shawn
post #54 of 1327 Old 01-19-2011, 12:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 586
AVS sells the upgrade. Give me a call.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #55 of 1327 Old 01-24-2011, 03:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Can someone explain the ideal setup using this device assuming you have 2 source devices and 2 displays to output to. AVR has 2 HDMI outs...
post #56 of 1327 Old 01-24-2011, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Is the Radiance XD in the AVS store HDMI 1.4 or would it require the upgrade?

I'm trying to figure the cost difference for the extra inputs and outputs and whether one or the other makes sense for me.
post #57 of 1327 Old 01-24-2011, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm arranging a demo of the Mini3D later this week while the UK January offer is still on. Even though I'm not convinced I'll see a difference once the whole setup is recalibrated (again ): I like the support that Lumagen offer, having a single box (rather than Edge plus VideoEQ Pro) and that I'll be able to calibrate my TV as well using the Mini3D (though I could move my VEQ, it's not easy to change settings on it like the Mini3D).

I've read every review for the similar models (XS and XD?) plus the manual. It seems very similar to my old HDQ so maybe a bit of headscratching until I get back into the Lumagen way of doing things. It seems that it's possible to set a default input/memory for power on, so I'll be able to ensure that the setting for my TV will take priority (to make sure the family can get a picture ). I think I'm capable of pressing a button on the remote to select a memory for my projector's ideal settings.

Just thinking through connections: I will be able to connect a PC and a PVR via my Arcam AV9 (which can only switch HDMI, 2 in and 1 out) into the first input on the Mini3D. My forthcoming Oppo 93 would go direct into the second input on the Mini3D. I'm not running 3D at the moment, so it might be easier to let the AV9 switch the Oppo and the PVR if it wouldn't cause any issues as the AV9 is only HDMI V1.2 I think (maybe V1.1). I'm using coax for the PVR and PC, plus the new Oppo will use my AV9's analogue inputs for HD sound.

I have a question that I couldn't find in the manual: How many CMS memories are there? I'd need one for my TV, maybe two for my projector (rec709 and SMPTE-C) and perhaps a fourth one if I deceide to connect a third TV via a HDMI splitter. Is there one for each memory bank (as in A, B, C & D) perhaps as this would suit my requirements?

If it helps: The outputs would be 1080p (inc 24p) to the projector and one TV, but the 'main' TV isn't able to accept 24p so I would just use 1080/50/60p for that one (and a suitable CMS setting).

Secondly if the Lumagen upscales any SD content I gather it can be set to take the rec601 input and output it as rec709. Does this mean I'd be able to use the same CMS setting for SD content as for HD or am I missing something here? In other words if using the Oppo in source direct mode, would I leave the Mini3D in the same memory as I'd use for BluRays or would I then need another 4 CMS settings?

post #58 of 1327 Old 01-24-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S View Post
I'm arranging a demo of the Mini3D later this week while the UK January offer is still on. Even though I'm not convinced I'll see a difference once the whole setup is recalibrated (again ): I like the support that Lumagen offer, having a single box (rather than Edge plus VideoEQ Pro) and that I'll be able to calibrate my TV as well using the Mini3D (though I could move my VEQ, it's not easy to change settings on it like the Mini3D).

I've read every review for the similar models (XS and XD?) plus the manual. It seems very similar to my old HDQ so maybe a bit of headscratching until I get back into the Lumagen way of doing things. It seems that it's possible to set a default input/memory for power on, so I'll be able to ensure that the setting for my TV will take priority (to make sure the family can get a picture ). I think I'm capable of pressing a button on the remote to select a memory for my projector's ideal settings.

Just thinking through connections: I will be able to connect a PC and a PVR via my Arcam AV9 (which can only switch HDMI, 2 in and 1 out) into the first input on the Mini3D. My forthcoming Oppo 93 would go direct into the second input on the Mini3D. I'm not running 3D at the moment, so it might be easier to let the AV9 switch the Oppo and the PVR if it wouldn't cause any issues as the AV9 is only HDMI V1.2 I think (maybe V1.1). I'm using coax for the PVR and PC, plus the new Oppo will use my AV9's analogue inputs for HD sound.

I have a question that I couldn't find in the manual: How many CMS memories are there? I'd need one for my TV, maybe two for my projector (rec709 and SMPTE-C) and perhaps a fourth one if I deceide to connect a third TV via a HDMI splitter. Is there one for each memory bank (as in A, B, C & D) perhaps as this would suit my requirements?

If it helps: The outputs would be 1080p (inc 24p) to the projector and one TV, but the 'main' TV isn't able to accept 24p so I would just use 1080/50/60p for that one (and a suitable CMS setting).

Secondly if the Lumagen upscales any SD content I gather it can be set to take the rec601 input and output it as rec709. Does this mean I'd be able to use the same CMS setting for SD content as for HD or am I missing something here? In other words if using the Oppo in source direct mode, would I leave the Mini3D in the same memory as I'd use for BluRays or would I then need another 4 CMS settings?
Its funny Kelvin. You and I are in the same boat - except I'm ditching my Duo for the mini. I used to have an HDP and loved it but the lack of CMS meant I had to look elsewhere. At the time a Radiance was out of my price range so went for the Duo

I've always wanted a Radiance and can now afford a mini if I sell on the Duo.

Just ordered mine from Ricky at Kalibrate and am awaiting a delivery date.
I'm hoping that having owned an HDP I won't find the Radiance menu's too hard to get to grips with
post #59 of 1327 Old 01-24-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
There are 8 CMS memories. You can set any input memory (A-D) for predefined input resolutions to select any of the 8 CMS setups (.ie for input 1, mema for SD can be set to use CMS0, memb for SD could select CMS1, while mema for 1080i can be CMS2 )

Quote:
In our input menu (under Input:Video Setup:RESOLUTION:Picture:Color Format ) you can select Auto/601/709. So you can use the same CMS settings.

Patrick Harkin, Lumagen Inc. engineer
post #60 of 1327 Old 01-24-2011, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Patrick, I recall how the HDQ did something similar with it's gamut control so that gives me plenty of CMS options then. The auto/601/709 setting probably means that I don't need that many anyway...

(See what I mean about support...my VideoEQ questions would go for weeks without an answer).

@Sniffer66 I'll be getting mine from Ricky too. I've dealt with him before with Chromapure and renting the i1Pro from him (I'll need it again ). I'm also getting my Oppo 93 from him too. I've never met him in person though, so I'm looking forward to the demo, once we can arrange a date.

Reply Video Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page