14Likes

post #991 of 1327 Old 10-06-2013, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp View Post

Before trying the following you should download your config to a PC (make sure to Save to a file after the download).

You might want to try a Factory Reset on the Mini (MENU 0999). You get back to your SAved settings by going to STBY.

The Radiance sends color information out in the "HDMI Info Frame". If you cannot get the Epson to accept 4:2:2 (or 4:4:4), it is not correctly interpreting the HDMI Info Frame. Make sure "deep color" is turned off in the Epson. There may not be a setting for this since there really is no need of one (It should just be depending on the HDMI Info Frame).

You may also want to power cycle the Epson after setting the output color from the RadianceMini-3D to 4:2:2. It may be that the Epson is not paying attention to the change in the HDMI Info Frame, except at power on. It should, but some devices do not implement interrupts on HDMI Info Frame changes correctly.

As another experiment you can set color output from the Mini to 4:2:2, do a Save in the blind since you cannot see (Menu up-arrow OK OK OK), and power cycle everything. If this does not resolve the 4:2:2 color issue, you can get back by a Factory Reset (MENU 0999). This is temporary. After the factory reset you would either do a Save Undo (from the Save Menu) and then a Save, or just Save the factory settings. Alternately you could upload your Saved configuration back to the Mini.

Anyone else have this issue with this Epson?

So I am having the same issue. Maybe I simply don't have the right setup for 4:2:2 along my whole chain. When I set the input to 4:2:2, everything is magenta or green. If I let it auto detect the input, it will detect my PS3 as 4:4:4. However, if I set only the output to 4:2:2, the colors are fine. My setup is as follows:

PS3--->Radiance Mini 3D--->VT50

Nice and simple. Am I doing something wrong? Does the PS3 output 4:2:2? I set everything on the PS3 as recommended. 4:2:2 only works when set on the output, but not when set on the input for the PS3. Is this normal behavior? If 4:2:2 is recommended, I want to set it up that way. From what I read, it is optimal that the player output 4:2:2 to the mini and the mini should output it as 4:2:2 as well. Should I just leave it at auto for the input (4:4:4) and set the output to 4:2:2 or should I leave them both at 4:4:4? I know that 1080p direct on the VT50 works only with 4:4:4, so that is another variable in which I don't know which is better to send to the TV.

My explanation may not be the most clear, but I wanted to dump all my thoughts out while they are still fresh in my mind :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1327 Old 10-07-2013, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 26
PS3 outputs rgb for desktop and games. It only outputs YCbCr 4:4:$ when playing back a dvd/bd and even then, only when it's set in the menu tree. PS3 does not output 422 afaik. So you should have input set to AUTO and output to whatever is best for your display (lumagen recemmend 4:2:2 as you have set already

Convergent-AV
ISF, Home Theater Consultants and Distribution, U.K.
post #993 of 1327 Old 10-16-2013, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Guys with doing image shifting from a 16.9 image to 2.35 is there any loss in picture quality that you can honestly tell?

It looks a great feature and seems to take away the need of a anamorphic lens!! smile.gif but worried the picture looses picture quality ?
post #994 of 1327 Old 10-17-2013, 12:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieuk147 View Post

Guys with doing image shifting from a 16.9 image to 2.35 is there any loss in picture quality that you can honestly tell?

It looks a great feature and seems to take away the need of a anamorphic lens!! smile.gif but worried the picture looses picture quality ?
I know many who us the Lumagen this way (I don't) and I cant see any artefacts going from 16:9 to 2.35
post #995 of 1327 Old 10-17-2013, 04:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks!!! smile.gif
post #996 of 1327 Old 10-17-2013, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I am looking to replace my PS3 with a proper Blu-ray player (thinking Oppo 103) and finally get a receiver since right now I am using basic hdmi and optical switches. What Blu-ray/receiver combo is the best for the Mini 3D? Seems like the Oppo is a pretty safe choice so I am stuck on a receiver. I want one that has lots of options and flexibility but doesn't interfere with the Mini. Also, my setup, for a sense of scale, is for a bedroom, so it's not like a dedicated home theater room. Thanks for the help.
post #997 of 1327 Old 10-17-2013, 10:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieuk147 View Post

What do you mean by "shifting the image from a 16:9 image to 2.35"?

The Lumagen processor works in conjunction with an anamorphic lens. It does not replace the lens.

If you wish to project a 2.35:1 movie onto a 2.35:1 screen, your two options for this are to magnify the image using the zoom lens in the projector, or to add an anamorphic lens in front of the projector which will stretch the image, then use the processor to electronically stretch it vertically back to the proper picture geometry.

See this article:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/blog/constant-image-height-refresher-2013/

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #998 of 1327 Old 10-17-2013, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 174
He probably means he wants to leave the projecter zoomed in to fill the width of a 2.35:1 screen. Then for 16:9 material have the video processor downscale the image to fit the screen vertically (with black bars at the sides to maintain the aspect ratio). Yes you lose some resolution (down to about 1440x810) but it's not a big loss given the convenience factor. In fact most sources today probably don't really have more resolution than that anyway (DVD, overcompressed cable TV, even many Blu-rays).

It's a real pity you don't see this zoom mode implemented directly in many projectors, as it's just a 0.75x zoom in both dimensions. Then there would be no additional cost, and if you ever wanted full resolution for 16:9 you could still change the zoom manually. It would be great for the menu screens of 2.35:1 movies too, which are often 16:9 with the navigation controls at the bottom edge and not visible when you're zoomed in.
post #999 of 1327 Old 10-20-2013, 11:44 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 542
I cant seem to use the NLS feature on SBS 3d, but it works fine for frame packed 3d and was curious why this feature does not work for SBS, or should it work and there is just a setting I need to change?

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #1000 of 1327 Old 10-22-2013, 10:18 PM
jrp
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

I cant seem to use the NLS feature on SBS 3d, but it works fine for frame packed 3d and was curious why this feature does not work for SBS, or should it work and there is just a setting I need to change?

For PiP/PoP this is a limitation of the GF9450 that does the PiP/PoP feature. The GF9450 is a 2D processor. We send 1080p24 frame packed through this 2D processor as "1080p48 2D". So in this mode PiP and Pop work the same as with 2D. For Side-by-Side the video is sent as it comes in - the left and right from each "frame" that is sent through the GF9450. This does not work for PiP/PoP in the GF9450 since, for example, a PiP windows in the lower right corner ends up visible to the right eye (at twice the programmed width), but not the left eye. Unfortunately since this is done in the GF9450, we cannot overcome this GF9450 limitation.

I was not aware Side-by-Side 3D does not work for NLS. We can put this on the list of things to look at, but it might be too complicated to change since the Radiance would need to do NLS twice - once for each eye - given its location in the processing pipeline.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
post #1001 of 1327 Old 10-24-2013, 09:32 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp View Post

For PiP/PoP this is a limitation of the GF9450 that does the PiP/PoP feature. The GF9450 is a 2D processor. We send 1080p24 frame packed through this 2D processor as "1080p48 2D". So in this mode PiP and Pop work the same as with 2D. For Side-by-Side the video is sent as it comes in - the left and right from each "frame" that is sent through the GF9450. This does not work for PiP/PoP in the GF9450 since, for example, a PiP windows in the lower right corner ends up visible to the right eye (at twice the programmed width), but not the left eye. Unfortunately since this is done in the GF9450, we cannot overcome this GF9450 limitation.

I was not aware Side-by-Side 3D does not work for NLS. We can put this on the list of things to look at, but it might be too complicated to change since the Radiance would need to do NLS twice - once for each eye - given its location in the processing pipeline.

Thanks for the great explanation Jim. I could not get NLS to work doing SBS or frame sequential with Netflix 3d. I would love to see this updated if possible since this is a big feature for me with 3d.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #1002 of 1327 Old 10-25-2013, 11:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Sorry for a dumb question:

I was trying to get a DVD to display properly and got the output set to a resolution that nothing I have will display. So now I'm blind... can't see the menu to reset back to 1080. Is there any way to reset the output back to 1080/24 or something like that?

I should have assigned it to a "mem" I know... but I didn't. Help!
post #1003 of 1327 Old 10-26-2013, 12:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 199
erkq

What kind of DVD player do you have?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #1004 of 1327 Old 10-26-2013, 01:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

erkq

What kind of DVD player do you have?

It's a Pioneer BDP-51.

I think I may have just come across something reading the manual. I never do that! Anyway... Menu 027 seems to put it back to 1080p output. I'm going to try that next time I fire the projector up.
post #1005 of 1327 Old 10-26-2013, 04:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 199
erkq

I happen to have a BDP-51.

You can change output resolutions by using the remote control and pressing the buttons labeled "output resolution".

Just an FYI, although I upgraded to an Oppo 95 (moved the BDP-51 to a bedroom), I've always thought that the BDP-51 has a more pleasing picture for BluRay. Only drawback is that it's a little slow booting and it doesn't do 3d which I can live with as I only have a couple of 3d movies. With that said, the Oppo 95 has very good DACs for 2 channel audio.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #1006 of 1327 Old 10-26-2013, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry, guys... I wasn't clear. My bad. I thought since I posted in the Mini 3D thread y'all'd just assume I was talking about the Mini 3D, not the BD player. I think I've found my answer in the Mini's manual. Thanks all!

Yes, JimP, I love my 51. I don't have a 3D projector (RS-20) and we pour wine and make popcorn while it's booting. I do love it's DAC's too. It's a really fine player, especially for the $100 close-out price I paid. A steal!
post #1007 of 1327 Old 10-30-2013, 07:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Since this seems to be a popular Lumagen thread...

Does anyone use any of the image processing options in their lumagen? E.g. sharpness/contrast/DNR etc?

I currently have a JVC RS55 which has what it calls "MPC" processing to increase image detail and dimensionality in it's "4K-lite" E-shift mode. I'm usually more of a purist with sharpening, but this processing is so good
I find it practically essential, because of how naturally it seems to sharpen and add dimensionality the image. I actually even prefer it to my Darbee if I had to choose. (But I use the Darbee too sometimes).

I would think that if anyone had some good image enhancement processing it would be Lumagen, but I don't hear of many people using those features.

Anyone?

Thanks
post #1008 of 1327 Old 10-31-2013, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Since this seems to be a popular Lumagen thread...

Does anyone use any of the image processing options in their lumagen? E.g. sharpness/contrast/DNR etc?

I currently have a JVC RS55 which has what it calls "MPC" processing to increase image detail and dimensionality in it's "4K-lite" E-shift mode. I'm usually more of a purist with sharpening, but this processing is so good
I find it practically essential, because of how naturally it seems to sharpen and add dimensionality the image. I actually even prefer it to my Darbee if I had to choose. (But I use the Darbee too sometimes).

I would think that if anyone had some good image enhancement processing it would be Lumagen, but I don't hear of many people using those features.

Anyone?

Thanks

Well i have to say i am at odds with you. I find MPC on JVC's to be poor and find it just seems to make the image look noisy to me. I have many clients who seem to have come to the same conclusion independently of me. I use the sharpness controls in lumagen, dont use adaptive contrast or nr's myself. I also use darbee sparingly on my own system with my 2021.

Convergent-AV
ISF, Home Theater Consultants and Distribution, U.K.
post #1009 of 1327 Old 01-01-2014, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hey, I'm new to Lumagen and have a few questions...

1. If I'm using a calibration disc like Disney WOW or Spears & Munsil, should I be adjusting the settings on the Projector or the Lumagen?

2. Should my devices like Cable Box, Blu Ray, Audio, etc go into the Lumagen and then into the receiver? I imagine the receiver will then output to my projector? I have a Darbee as well, but I'm unsure if I need it with the Lumagen.
post #1010 of 1327 Old 01-02-2014, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1sox View Post

Hey, I'm new to Lumagen and have a few questions...

1. If I'm using a calibration disc like Disney WOW or Spears & Munsil, should I be adjusting the settings on the Projector or the Lumagen?

2. Should my devices like Cable Box, Blu Ray, Audio, etc go into the Lumagen and then into the receiver? I imagine the receiver will then output to my projector? I have a Darbee as well, but I'm unsure if I need it with the Lumagen.

1. I would use the S&M 2nd edition to set brightness, contrast etc on the projector as well as running other tests to see if it prefers one color space vs. another (Lumagen recommends 422) etc. Then use the Lumagen adjustable test patterns to fine tune if needed.
2. Assuming you have a Mini, run your sources thru the AVR with HDMI out to the Mini and the Mini HDMI out to the Darbee and from the Darbee to the projector. Make sure ALL video processing is turned of in the AVR and use 6 feet or longer HDMI cables for all connections including those plugged into the Darbee. The Darbee will enhance the Mini performance in most peoples eye. Good Luck.
post #1011 of 1327 Old 01-02-2014, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post

1. I would use the S&M 2nd edition to set brightness, contrast etc on the projector as well as running other tests to see if it prefers one color space vs. another (Lumagen recommends 422) etc. Then use the Lumagen adjustable test patterns to fine tune if needed.
2. Assuming you have a Mini, run your sources thru the AVR with HDMI out to the Mini and the Mini HDMI out to the Darbee and from the Darbee to the projector. Make sure ALL video processing is turned of in the AVR and use 6 feet or longer HDMI cables for all connections including those plugged into the Darbee. The Darbee will enhance the Mini performance in most peoples eye. Good Luck.

I have the Radiance XS 3D which from what I understand should be similar to the Mini. I figured the source would first go to the Lumagen, good thing I asked. Thanks!
post #1012 of 1327 Old 01-03-2014, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1sox View Post

I have the Radiance XS 3D which from what I understand should be similar to the Mini. I figured the source would first go to the Lumagen, good thing I asked. Thanks!

The sources should go to the XS not the AVR. My comment regarding the Mini was because it doesn't have enough inputs. Others may disagree but I would have all sources go directly to the XS and feed the projector with one of the Xs's HDMI outputs with the Darbee installed and use the other XS HDMI output to feed audio only to your AVR. Most AVRs allow you to turn off their video processing as is the case with my Yamaha 3020. However, I still notice a slight softening of the video output which I assume is due to having to pass thru added circuits even though no processing is applied. Only downside to this is that the AVR OSD doesn't work unless you use an added HDMI cable to another HDMI input on the display.
post #1013 of 1327 Old 01-12-2014, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I just got my ISCO III L set up on my 2:37 screen and I want to make sure I got this correct:

To watch 16x9 on 2:37 screen: select 4:3, NLS and move the lens in front of pj
When I select 16:9 and NLS nothing happens.

The Moving Pictures Theater Construction Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1462881/th...ruction-thread

Houston GTG - Summer 2014
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/61-are...l#post26079610
post #1014 of 1327 Old 01-30-2014, 05:48 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi,

IF is possible, someone to recommend what settings is best for Lumagen Mini 3D regarding SHARPNESS?. There are so many parameters in that section....

Regards
post #1015 of 1327 Old 01-30-2014, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 48
I think I saw that Gordon Fraser recommended no higher than 3, which is where mine is set as much higher starts to show ringing type effects.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #1016 of 1327 Old 01-30-2014, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

^ My experience has been that the H&V sharpness and texture allow you to go well beyond 3 when I tested the various settings using the S&M sharpness pattern. The diagonal settings both sharpness and texture however showed a LOT of ringing above 2.
post #1017 of 1327 Old 01-31-2014, 01:32 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 15
"I think I saw that Gordon Fraser recommended no higher than 3, which is where mine is set as much higher starts to show ringing type effects."

"^ My experience has been that the H&V sharpness and texture allow you to go well beyond 3 when I tested the various settings using the S&M sharpness pattern. The diagonal settings both sharpness and texture however showed a LOT of ringing above 2."

I set my Luamgen to 3 for all parameters as maximum, recommended by Doug Blackburn.

Thanks
post #1018 of 1327 Old 02-01-2014, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 48
I just installed the latest update to my MIni3D and the aspect ratio change does seem better, though it's a minor issue once the film starts at least it doesn't look like a cable glitch as before.

Production 011814- Adds a clean transition for aspect changes. Fixes occasional loss of audio for some audio format changes on input. Update time ~3 minutes @57k

http://www.lumagen.com/testindex.php?module=radiancemini_updates

Off to watch a film now to make sure they haven't broken anything (unlikely, but an excuse to watch something else wink.gif).

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #1019 of 1327 Old 02-01-2014, 10:40 PM
jrp
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

What do you mean by "shifting the image from a 16:9 image to 2.35"?

The Lumagen processor works in conjunction with an anamorphic lens. It does not replace the lens.

The Radiance can indeed support 2.35 screens without an anamorphic lens. In fact most people we talk to are skipping the A-lens for anamorphic screens. For 2.35 Bluray on a 2.35 screen, the Radiance does not need to scale at all. So the image is sharper than going through an A-Lens.

Light output for 2.35 source without an A-Lens is sligthy less. One might think it should be 33% less, but measurements by calibrators show that due to light loss in an A-Lens, allowing the Radiance to do the aspect control without the A-Lens results in a 5% to 10% light loss for 2.35 source verses an A-Lens. So not so much light loss.

The Radiance is much less expensive than a good quality A-Lens and you get all the other features of the Radiance (such as 729 point CMS) in the bargain.

See our Tech Tip 16 on this for more information: http://www.lumagen.com/testindex.php?module=manuals

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
post #1020 of 1327 Old 02-16-2014, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I`m having a bit of a problem with my Mini3D and hope that someone here maybe have a solution, the problem is when i watch content on my Apple TV3 (Netflix) and the picture drops out after 15-20 minutes or so with a green or pink picture. The only way to get picture back is to close down the Mini3D and then restart it.
I have tried to rule out if it`s the HDMI cable(s) that causes the drop outs but after changing at least 2 different cables, the problem still remains. I also tried removing the Mini3D from the chain and now the problem is gone.

So, the problem is obviously with the Mini3D somehow, my connection chain looks like this: AppleTV --> AVR--> Mini3D-->Darbee --> Projector.
I`m outputting 1080p 60Hz from the ATV.

I should also mention that i have an Oppo BDP-93 player connected to the AVR/Mini3D and when i watch content from it, no picture drop outs at all.

Has anyone else had a similar issue and did you find a solution?
Any other suggestions to solve this?
Reply Video Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page