Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #1231 of 1237 Old Yesterday, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I have to ask, are there any more KNOWN fixes planned before we download this again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1232 of 1237 Old Yesterday, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by avfile View Post
i have to ask, are there any more known fixes planned before we download this again?
lol
post #1233 of 1237 Old Yesterday, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 130
It's a little bit like the Whack-A-Mole game...
post #1234 of 1237 Old Yesterday, 02:06 PM
jrp
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post
I have to ask, are there any more KNOWN fixes planned before we download this again?
We are always working on improving things. So, there is always this chance. However, yes, we are working on a release for this week.

This release is to improve the Chroma Burst pattern on the Spears and Muncil disc. It turns out there are two concerns with the patterns themselves. One is that they violate Nyquist sampling. This is a common thing in test patterns and so is not unexpected. However, do note that real video obeys Nyquist sampling criteria. So, these type of test patterns must be taken with a grain of salt.

The second issue is these patterns, when converted to RGB, create negative RGB values. These values would not be generated by real video, or even animated video, since they start in the RGB domain and values would be no less than zero.

We have always clamped RGB into the correct range, but Patrick added some new FPGA code to help with this particular exception to normal video.

We did find a Chroma filter in our FPGA code that was supposed to be off, that was actually still on. We will correct this setting as well. This change will show a small improvement in Chroma bandwidth since it eliminates the unnecessary filtering.
AVfile, alex_t, cinema mad and 1 others like this.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
post #1235 of 1237 Old Yesterday, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Jim

Is it ok to run the 2143 with the fan off in a climate controlled room, with the unit sitting open on a tabletop, nothing above it? Finding the fan even in low mode is a little wheezy...

Thanks
post #1236 of 1237 Old Yesterday, 02:17 PM
jrp
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
It's a little bit like the Whack-A-Mole game...
LOL...

Not how I imagine the value of free improvements but the word picture is amusing, and has some truth to it. If you want the best video you will be doing a Radiance software update on a regular basis, and just before the next release
dsinger and thrang like this.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
post #1237 of 1237 Old Yesterday, 03:21 PM
jrp
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
Is it ok to run the 2143 with the fan off in a climate controlled room, with the unit sitting open on a tabletop, nothing above it? Finding the fan even in low mode is a little wheezy...
For 2K output this should be fine. For 4k output, if we allow "off" as an option (I think we do), and you have a normal room temperature (say 75F, 24C) with plenty of air space around the 2143, it should be fine with the fan set to off. I have tested 4k60 output here with the fan off and vents blocked and it worked. However, this could be different on different units as the FPGA chips vary in speed.

Note that there are two temperature standards for the FPGA. The lower temperature is for meeting specified performance specs. This is the temperature we shoot for and why there is a fan. If you exceed this temperature, no harm will come to the chip, but it might not function at maximum speed, and in this case you would notice issues with the video. So if you have solid video with the fan off, your specific unit in your specific environment is okay with the fan set to off.

There is a much higher temperature specification for maximum recommended operating temperature. Above this temperature you are affecting the life of the FPGA. However, the unit would almost certainly begin to show video issues well below this temperature. However, as I found in my testing for this case, I do not think you would get close even with the fan off and the vents blocked.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page