post #1321 of 1327 Old 11-24-2014, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuggymba View Post
So, the Lumagen mini is for my Media room which will start soon.

While the media room is being built, I wanted to use Lumagen MINI to improve the quality of live TV streaming. The quality is same as before even though the output says it's 1080p. Need to know if it's possible to upscale live internet TV and if yes, what am I doing wrong.

I was hoping to improve the PQ but it's pretty much the same as before.
It sounds like you're trying to polish a turd. Your TV was doing the upscaling previously. Now the Radiance is doing the upscaling. I would expect the difference to be marginal. There are a few noise-reduction settings that might help, but it's going to be small.

It reminds me of a family friend who bought this and expected to get an HD-quality picture from an SD broadcast. Not gonna happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1322 of 1327 Old 11-24-2014, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
It sounds like you're trying to polish a turd. Your TV was doing the upscaling previously. Now the Radiance is doing the upscaling. I would expect the difference to be marginal. There are a few noise-reduction settings that might help, but it's going to be small.

It reminds me of a family friend who bought this and expected to get an HD-quality picture from an SD broadcast. Not gonna happen.
That's what I want to know. If the $900.00 TV was already doing the scaling, why buy a $1500.00 thing to do the same thing. Well at least I get to use it for scope viewing when the media room starts.

That's exactly my question - Can it upscale live SD broadcast or not? Looks like the answer is No.
post #1323 of 1327 Old 11-24-2014, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That's what I want to know. If the $900.00 TV was already doing the scaling, why buy a $1500.00 thing to do the same thing. Well at least I get to use it for scope viewing when the media room starts.

That's exactly my question - Can it upscale live SD broadcast or not? Looks like the answer is No.
Yes of course it can, that's exactly what it's doing, as was your tv before. But scaling cannot create detail that isn't there. All it can do is magnify the low-resolution source.

You're right, it's crazy to buy a Radiance for this purpose alone, because there's not much it can do to help.
post #1324 of 1327 Old 11-24-2014, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
Yes of course it can, that's exactly what it's doing, as was your tv before. But scaling cannot create detail that isn't there. All it can do is magnify the low-resolution source.

You're right, it's crazy to buy a Radiance for this purpose alone, because there's not much it can do to help.
Thanks.

The purpose of the Lumagen Mini is to be video processor for the media room. Since media room is not ready yet, I wanted to see how it works with plugging it to a TV. It's ok if it didn't work out.

One question though - Why do we call it up-scaling if it can't add in details? Zooming is not up-scaling...right. It did say up-scaling from 480/720p to 1080p. Anyway, that's not why I bought it Just curious.
post #1325 of 1327 Old 11-24-2014, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
One question though - Why do we call it up-scaling if it can't add in details? Zooming is not up-scaling...right. It did say up-scaling from 480/720p to 1080p. Anyway, that's not why I bought it Just curious.
Digital zoom is exactly upscaling. It's creating new pixels, from 480 up to 1080 (vertically), by interpolating between the pixels it has. But how would it create any more detail? Those details are gone, either never recorded (if it was originally 480) or lost when it was downconverted to 480.

It's like trying to blow up 8mm home movie film to a movie-theater-size screen. It's going to look like crap no matter how fancy your lenses are.
post #1326 of 1327 Old 11-25-2014, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Official Lumagen RadianceMini 3D thread.

Quote:
Source = Roku live TV (some international channels for which I have a subscription)

This is your problem here. Probably already up converted from 480i or 576i sources and then heavily compressed for the Internet. You need better quality source material if you're going to put this on a big screen it will look even worse.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #1327 of 1327 Old 11-26-2014, 01:58 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post
This is your problem here. Probably already up converted from 480i or 576i sources and then heavily compressed for the Internet. You need better quality source material if you're going to put this on a big screen it will look even worse.
Last week I was working on a very nice home theater that had the entire history of video sources upscaled by a Radiance 2144 to a Sony 4k projector. As you would expect, the Bluray player had a great image. But here is where it got interesting. I tested the Laserdisk Player, the VHS, and the Beta Player. All of these low res video sources were a bit grainy. But I thought that the Radiance did a very nice job of scaling them up to a watchable 130 inch 4k@60Hz image.

I say that you should hook up the Radiance Mini to your 42 inch TV. It will be fun and you will get a chance to play with your new video processor. The Mini has mosquito noise reduction that will help clean up the compressed video from your cable or sat box. If possible, set your video sources to output everything at the native resolution. Then use the Mini scale the video up to the native resolution of your TV (1080p?). This will give you a better image, even on a small TV.

Randy
Reply Video Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page