Official Lumagen RadianceMini 3D thread. - Page 47 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 19Likes
post #1381 of 1392 Unread 04-15-2015, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Interesting… seems like the problem you see is the polar opposite of what I see. I do think I may have figured out why I have the problem them… and it has nothing to do with neither of the two video processors… My HDMI cables are all redmere cables and those are directional. When I place the Darbee after the Mini 3D, I would need to change the direction of the cable and I didn't… going to check tomorrow if it may have been that simple.

"Suddenly the thought struck me, my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1382 of 1392 Unread 04-21-2015, 01:05 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just got a Radiance Mini-3D and am really delighted with the results. However I am curious about what settings are really correct for my setup, which consists of a Oppo 95 bdplayer and a Sony VW-95ES projector.

Player: Set to Source Direct and HDMI YCbCr 422. I am unsure as what to set the bit depth and dithering to? If I set it to OFF, will the Lumagen do the dithering and bit depth processing?

Projector: Set to "Full" aspect ratio. No further settings need to be applied for it to recieve the Lumagen signal without altering it?

Last edited by Drem; 04-21-2015 at 01:09 AM.
post #1383 of 1392 Unread 04-21-2015, 01:40 PM
jrp
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Drem:

Sounds like the Oppo is set up correctly.

For the Radiance select 4:2:2 output mode. This outputs 12-bits and the "Auto" dither setting (the default) is to not dither. For 4:2:2 output mode you wold only select dither to a lower bit depth than 12 if the TV/projector as a precision issue.

One example is a digital display with 60 Hertz refresh that shows some banding in dark areas. In this case dither to a lower bit depth may well mitigate the display's issues to some degree.

Generally I find that TVs built in the last couple year show less banding than earlier models. Still many digital displays have issue still. Many default to a lower Gamma setting (e.g. 1.8 rather than 2.2) to hide noise issues near black. So there are still issues in digital displays that you might need to consider when you calibrate, and when you select a dither setting.
AVfile likes this.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
post #1384 of 1392 Unread 04-22-2015, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp View Post
Drem:

Sounds like the Oppo is set up correctly.

For the Radiance select 4:2:2 output mode. This outputs 12-bits and the "Auto" dither setting (the default) is to not dither. For 4:2:2 output mode you wold only select dither to a lower bit depth than 12 if the TV/projector as a precision issue.

One example is a digital display with 60 Hertz refresh that shows some banding in dark areas. In this case dither to a lower bit depth may well mitigate the display's issues to some degree.

Generally I find that TVs built in the last couple year show less banding than earlier models. Still many digital displays have issue still. Many default to a lower Gamma setting (e.g. 1.8 rather than 2.2) to hide noise issues near black. So there are still issues in digital displays that you might need to consider when you calibrate, and when you select a dither setting.
Thanks for the input Jim ! The Oppo has all kinds of bit depth settings. 36bits, 30bits, etc. Does it even make any difference what I set this to when sending the signal to the Lumagen? 36bits or OFF?

Last edited by Drem; 04-22-2015 at 08:28 AM.
post #1385 of 1392 Unread 05-01-2015, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drem View Post
Thanks for the input Jim ! The Oppo has all kinds of bit depth settings. 36bits, 30bits, etc. Does it even make any difference what I set this to when sending the signal to the Lumagen? 36bits or OFF?
I would assume that the first time Jim answered was in regards to the OFF setting you had cited and he said it was correct. By the way, OFF means standard 24-bit (no Deep Color) which is perfect for Blu-ray and DVD movies. Assuming you are just playing commercially released movies you will never encounter Deep Colour.

In my opinion it does not make sense to turn on these increased bit-depth options as all they would do is pad the data with extra zeroes. This only increases bandwidth requirements on your HDMI cable and may complicate the HDCP handshake process with your display.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.

Last edited by AVfile; 05-01-2015 at 11:41 AM.
post #1386 of 1392 Unread 05-04-2015, 07:09 AM
jrp
AVS Special Member

AVfile is correct.

Consumer sources use compressed 8-bit 4:2:0, and deep color cannot provide any additional information. Even after points are moved in the RGB color space for calibration, 4:2:2 at 12-bits is more than enough to accurately respresent these sources. Deep color is not going to improve the quality, and as AVfile points out, it will increase the bit-rate and potentially can cause additional HDMI cable issues.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
post #1387 of 1392 Unread 05-08-2015, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Help with aspect ratio settings

Need help with Lumagen mini with my 2.35 screen and Sony Hw55 and Oppo 103-D

I'm trying to setup "Dolphin Tale 2" for the kids which is 1.85. I followed the instructions below but the image is still splitting outside the 2.35 screen. I could manually reduce the zoom on my Sony HW55 but want to see how I can do it through Lumagen mini. What am I messing up?

The PJ zoom was manually set so I can see the 2.35 movie perfectly. I did all the lumagen settings afterwards.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________

http://www.lumagen.com/docs/Tip0016_...ens_032712.pdf

Procedure

This is the procedure to configure the Radiance for a system that includes a 16:9 projector
and a 2.35 screen. This procedure requires software rev 011812 or higher and assumes that
you are starting with factory default settings. To do a factory reset press “MENU 0999” and
then press “MENU, Save, OK, OK, OK”.

1. Set the output aspect ratio by pressing "MENU, Output, Styles, [1], Aspect Ratio, OK,
Single output aspect, OK, 235, OK”.

2. Set the output aspect sidebars to black by pressing “MENU, Output, Styles, [1],
Graybar, Sides, 0%, OK”.

3. Set the output shrink by pressing “MENU, Output, Styles, [1], Mask/Shrink, Shrink,
Top:12%, Right:0%, Bottom:12%, Left:0%, OK”.

Note: If you set the projector so that the image only spills over the top of the screen, set
the output shrink to “Top:24%, Right:0%, Bottom:0%, Left:0%”.

4. Set scale bias off by pressing “MENU, Input, Video Setup, [resolution], Size, [1.85],
Scale Bias, Off, All, A-D, OK”.

5. When you are finished, save the new settings by pressing “MENU, Save, OK, OK, OK".

6. Set the projector to its default 16:9 mode. (Sony is set to Normal zoom)

7. Set all the video sources to widescreen 16:9 output. (what does this mean?, I have an oppo 103-D and the source is Blu-Ray 1.85)

8. Press the appropriate input aspect ratio button on the Lumagen remote that matches the
aspect of the video input. To horizontally stretch a 16:9 image to fill the 2.35 screen,
press “16:9” and then press “NLS”.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________

Last edited by smuggymba; 05-08-2015 at 09:02 PM.
post #1388 of 1392 Unread Yesterday, 02:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I don't have a Mini3D anymore, but I have the newer 2041 which is set up using the same tip as you've posted up there.

In my case the projector zoom is set to fill the screen with 2.35:1 content (and the 2.35 button pressed on the Lumagen remote). The projector aspect is set to 16:9 (ie no anamorphic settings on, but I have a JVC X500, so I don't know the name on a Sony, but it is basically just the setting that doesn't do any stretching).

I don't think you need to worry about the Oppo, but check it isn't set to zoom.

You should be able to press 1.85 (or 16:9/1.78:1) and have the image then 'shrink' so that the height fits on your screen, leaving black bars each side. If the image overspills the top and bottom of the screen then you haven't set the Lumagen up correctly: Make sure you press 'save' twice after making the changes in the tip and that you are on the same input and memory that you are using your player with. I can assure that it does work as described (and I did try it with my Mini3D too).

Finally, I guess you are aware of this, but when 'shrinking' the image for 1.85/16:9 content you are reducing the resolution of the image so that it is approximately 1440 x 810. The rest of the image is projected 'black'.

This is fine for quick AR changes like viewing trailers or disc menus, but if I'm watching a whole 1.85:1 film then I rezoom my projector and use a separate memory on my Lumagen so that I view this content at the full 1920 x 1080. However in my case I have lens memory so this is easier to do, so it is more of a pain with a manual/no memory zoom, but it just depends on how much you value picture quality.
AVfile and smuggymba like this.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...now using e-shift.
post #1389 of 1392 Unread Yesterday, 01:55 PM
jrp
AVS Special Member

smuggymba:

The instructions for the Radiance assume you have not tried to do aspect ratio control in the projector or source device. Sounds like you have tried with your projector.

The projector is set as 16:9 (step 6). So you will likely have to undo whatever you did in the projector for aspect ratio control. The source is also set to say it is driving a "16:9 TV" (Step 7 and the answer to your question). On most Bluray players you will set it a "16:9" TV and "Full" output mode so it does not try to change aspect ratios.

When setup per the instruction you would just press 1.85 to watch a 1.85 movie.

If you are having trouble, feel free to give us a call on Monday (503-574-2211) when you have your system up and running and can enter menu commands to change the setup.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
post #1390 of 1392 Unread Yesterday, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S View Post
This is fine for quick AR changes like viewing trailers or disc menus, but if I'm watching a whole 1.85:1 film then I rezoom my projector and use a separate memory on my Lumagen so that I view this content at the full 1920 x 1080. However in my case I have lens memory so this is easier to do, so it is more of a pain with a manual/no memory zoom, but it just depends on how much you value picture quality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp View Post
smuggymba:

The instructions for the Radiance assume you have not tried to do aspect ratio control in the projector or source device. Sounds like you have tried with your projector.

The projector is set as 16:9 (step 6). So you will likely have to undo whatever you did in the projector for aspect ratio control. The source is also set to say it is driving a "16:9 TV" (Step 7 and the answer to your question). On most Bluray players you will set it a "16:9" TV and "Full" output mode so it does not try to change aspect ratios.

When setup per the instruction you would just press 1.85 to watch a 1.85 movie.

If you are having trouble, feel free to give us a call on Monday (503-574-2211) when you have your system up and running and can enter menu commands to change the setup.
Thanks Kelvin and JRP.

Kelvin - I definitely want better quality and I'm willing to go through more steps to achieve this. I have Sony HW55 PJ and it does NOT have lens memory. Can I achieve full 1920 x 1080 with Lumagen or will I have to manually zoom with PJ?

JRP - Travelling for the next couple of weeks, will definitely call as soon as I'm back. Need to sort this out for sure.

Yesterday, I put on Breaking Bad @ Netflix which is 16:9 so I had the picture fill in the width of my 2.35 screen (some picture was flowing over on the top). That was my starting point. The PJ is set to "normal" zoom.

Then I did all the Lumagen settings as per the pdf (for 2.35 or 1.85 or 2.37) but didn't quite work. Of course, I'm doing something wrong. Will call Lumagen shortly.
post #1391 of 1392 Unread Yesterday, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuggymba View Post
I definitely want better quality and I'm willing to go through more steps to achieve this. I have Sony HW55 PJ and it does NOT have lens memory. Can I achieve full 1920 x 1080 with Lumagen or will I have to manually zoom with PJ?

I put on Breaking Bad @ Netflix which is 16:9 so I had the picture fill in the width of my 2.35 screen (some picture was flowing over on the top). That was my starting point. The PJ is set to "normal" zoom.

In this case It should fill the height of the screen, not the width. Press the 16:9 button on the Radiance and (manually) Set the PJ zoom so that the entire picture is on the screen. You will have to mentally ignore the side pillars, or cover them with some kind of black material.
smuggymba likes this.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #1392 of 1392 Unread Today, 01:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Yes, that is what I do for a whole 1.85:1 film; Lumagen in 16:9 mode and projector zoomed back so that the image fills the screen height leaving black side bars. I then I hang a pair of black velvet side panels to cover the unused sides of the screen as a final tweak.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...now using e-shift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors