Official Lumagen RadianceMini 3D thread. - Page 47 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 15Likes
post #1381 of 1384 Old 04-15-2015, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Interesting… seems like the problem you see is the polar opposite of what I see. I do think I may have figured out why I have the problem them… and it has nothing to do with neither of the two video processors… My HDMI cables are all redmere cables and those are directional. When I place the Darbee after the Mini 3D, I would need to change the direction of the cable and I didn't… going to check tomorrow if it may have been that simple.

"Suddenly the thought struck me, my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1382 of 1384 Old Yesterday, 01:05 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just got a Radiance Mini-3D and am really delighted with the results. However I am curious about what settings are really correct for my setup, which consists of a Oppo 95 bdplayer and a Sony VW-95ES projector.

Player: Set to Source Direct and HDMI YCbCr 422. I am unsure as what to set the bit depth and dithering to? If I set it to OFF, will the Lumagen do the dithering and bit depth processing?

Projector: Set to "Full" aspect ratio. No further settings need to be applied for it to recieve the Lumagen signal without altering it?

Last edited by Drem; Yesterday at 01:09 AM.
post #1383 of 1384 Old Yesterday, 01:40 PM
jrp
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Drem:

Sounds like the Oppo is set up correctly.

For the Radiance select 4:2:2 output mode. This outputs 12-bits and the "Auto" dither setting (the default) is to not dither. For 4:2:2 output mode you wold only select dither to a lower bit depth than 12 if the TV/projector as a precision issue.

One example is a digital display with 60 Hertz refresh that shows some banding in dark areas. In this case dither to a lower bit depth may well mitigate the display's issues to some degree.

Generally I find that TVs built in the last couple year show less banding than earlier models. Still many digital displays have issue still. Many default to a lower Gamma setting (e.g. 1.8 rather than 2.2) to hide noise issues near black. So there are still issues in digital displays that you might need to consider when you calibrate, and when you select a dither setting.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
post #1384 of 1384 Unread Today, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp View Post
Drem:

Sounds like the Oppo is set up correctly.

For the Radiance select 4:2:2 output mode. This outputs 12-bits and the "Auto" dither setting (the default) is to not dither. For 4:2:2 output mode you wold only select dither to a lower bit depth than 12 if the TV/projector as a precision issue.

One example is a digital display with 60 Hertz refresh that shows some banding in dark areas. In this case dither to a lower bit depth may well mitigate the display's issues to some degree.

Generally I find that TVs built in the last couple year show less banding than earlier models. Still many digital displays have issue still. Many default to a lower Gamma setting (e.g. 1.8 rather than 2.2) to hide noise issues near black. So there are still issues in digital displays that you might need to consider when you calibrate, and when you select a dither setting.
Thanks for the input Jim ! The Oppo has all kinds of bit depth settings. 36bits, 30bits, etc. Does it even make any difference what I set this to when sending the signal to the Lumagen? 36bits or OFF?

Last edited by Drem; Today at 08:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page