Official Lumagen RadianceMini 3D thread. - Page 49 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 29Likes

post #1441 of 1448 Old 01-12-2016, 12:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp View Post
Drem:

I replied to your email January 10 later that day, but since you asked about a response today (the 11th), I think your SPAM filter ate it. I know you have received an earlier email, but please check you SPAM filter (I sent it again) and put lumagen.com on your White List to avoid this (hopefully) in the future.
Thanks Jim. Not really sure what happened, but I find no reply (even in the spam/junkmail). I sent my questions again just now, from another email
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 1448 Old 01-13-2016, 01:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp View Post
To All:

A comment on the power supply:

Up until a year ago we used industry standard power supplies (both 5V and 12V) with 50000 hour average life (5.7 years). In Europe with 240 VAC power surges (and it turns out Florida power surges too) could take them out but other than that they have been very reliable.

A little over a year ago we did two things:

1) We stopped using 5 VDC power supplies for current products. This means that every component is isolated from the external power supply by an internal DC-to-DC power supply, which helps the unit tolerate a power surge if a surge gets through the external power supply. In the past, for 5 VDC units, we have had a power surge take out both the power supply and the unit. We believe using an external 12 VDC supply significantly reduces this risk.

2) All current Radiance units use a 12 VDC 5 Amp power supply with a average life rating from the manufacturer of 300000 hours. This equates to 34 years. While I can't be certain none have failed in the past year+ we have been shipping them, I can say I do not know of any failures with this new power supply. So the new ultra high reliability power supply has essentially eliminated power supply failures for the past year+ of sales. Of course at some point one or more will fail but the failure rate is expected to be very low.

We have always had a very low failure rate for Radiance units, including power supplies, other than accidental damage (which includes power surges). The new 12 VDC only supply voltage and 300000 hour MTBF power supplies will improve this even further.

Would you suggest to have our units on a UPS?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #1443 of 1448 Old 01-14-2016, 08:47 PM
jrp
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfdrifter View Post
Would you suggest to have our units on a UPS?
A UPS is not a bad idea as long as all the home theater equipment is on teh same UPS, but you will do well if you have the Radiance, and all your home theater electronics, on a good quality surge suppressor.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
post #1444 of 1448 Old 01-28-2016, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Hello all.

I have a Lumagen Mini3D paired with my JVC X500R projector. I am trying to stream 4K material using a Roku 4 and so I added a Key Digital KD-HDFix22 for HDCP 2.2 handshake issues. The Lumagen sits between my AVR and projector.

For some reason (I think it is the Lumagen), my projector cannot display the 4K content when I connect my Roku 4 to the HD fix which is then connected to my AVR. When I bypass the Lumagen and AVR and connect the Roku and HD Fix directly to the projector I am able to stream 4K content. My AVR allows for 4K and HDCP 2.2 through the input I was using (Onkyo TX-NR636). So, I assume because the Lumagen doesn't have 4K capability it is the reason I can't stream 4K when it is in the chain? Does that sound right? If so, then when it comes time for UHD Blu-Ray, I won't be able to use the Lumagen as well, right?
post #1445 of 1448 Old 01-28-2016, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Your lumagen processor is an SD and HD device....it cannot accept UHD material or output UHD signals regardless of whether there is no HDCP2.2 So you are correct in your assumption. I'd give Lumagen a call and ask about a favourable trade up to one of the new UHD capable models, which incidenally, offer superior image quality to the normal Radiance range with SD and HD sources....

Convergent-AV
ISF, Home Theater Consultants and Distribution, U.K.
post #1446 of 1448 Old 01-30-2016, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Fraser View Post
Your lumagen processor is an SD and HD device....it cannot accept UHD material or output UHD signals regardless of whether there is no HDCP2.2 So you are correct in your assumption. I'd give Lumagen a call and ask about a favourable trade up to one of the new UHD capable models, which incidenally, offer superior image quality to the normal Radiance range with SD and HD sources....
Thanks. That's what I thought. One more question. When I try to take my Lumagen out of the chain and connect the HDMI out from the Lumagen and directly connect it to the HDMI out input of my receiver I cannot get an image on my screen. Instead, I get a brief flicker of an image no matter if I am watching TV, a Blu Ray or Apple TV. Any idea why that would be?
post #1447 of 1448 Old 01-31-2016, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjay71 View Post
Thanks. That's what I thought. One more question. When I try to take my Lumagen out of the chain and connect the HDMI out from the Lumagen and directly connect it to the HDMI out input of my receiver I cannot get an image on my screen. Instead, I get a brief flicker of an image no matter if I am watching TV, a Blu Ray or Apple TV. Any idea why that would be?

I'm unclear what you are saying here.

Is it that you take the cable that would go from the lumagen to the display, disconnect it and then reconnect it to the HDMI OUTPUT socket on your receiver? When you do that you get no image on screen? If so, turn everything off at the power socket, wait a minute, then turn it all back on again and see what happens

Convergent-AV
ISF, Home Theater Consultants and Distribution, U.K.
post #1448 of 1448 Old Yesterday, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Fraser View Post
I'm unclear what you are saying here.

Is it that you take the cable that would go from the lumagen to the display, disconnect it and then reconnect it to the HDMI OUTPUT socket on your receiver? When you do that you get no image on screen? If so, turn everything off at the power socket, wait a minute, then turn it all back on again and see what happens
Yes, that is what I am saying. Will give it a try. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors