jrp
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorjam View Post

I have the same question and have not seen a clear reply. Lots of physical and virtual inputs, but only one physical output.

Both the RadianceXS-3D and the RadianceXE-3D have two HDMI outputs. These can be programmed to carry audio only, video only or both audio and video. By default output 1 carries audio and video and is typically connected to an external AVR. Radiance Output 2 is typically connected to the display/projector.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1300 Old 04-30-2011, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks, that is evident for those 2 models but we are talking about the mini here.

Dedicated Theater Construction Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Home Automation Construction Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #183 of 1300 Old 05-01-2011, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
To echo the above, what about the mini?
post #184 of 1300 Old 05-03-2011, 01:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorjam View Post

I have the same question and have not seen a clear reply. Lots of physical and virtual inputs, but only one physical output.

The mini has one output....it cannot feed multiple displays unless you use a seperate 1 in X out DA. Many companies make such devices at low cost. I believe Octava are pretty decent

Convergent-AV
ISF, Home Theater Consultants and Distribution, U.K.
post #185 of 1300 Old 05-03-2011, 01:15 PM
jrp
AVS Special Member

Gordon is correct about the RadianceMini-3D.

The Mini was designed for a small bedroom system with two sources going to a TV (such as from a matrix switch and a local Bluray player, or a Bluray plus a Satellite box), or for use after a HDMI switching device such as an 8x8 switch or AVR.

The Mini output can carry video, or video plus audio.

For larger systems, the RadianceXS-3D or RadianceXE-3D, with their dual HDMI outputs, are the preferred solutions.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
post #186 of 1300 Old 05-03-2011, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Monoprice has a nice 1x4 HDMI distribution amp for $45. I use one on my PS3 and it works well.

Shawn
post #187 of 1300 Old 05-04-2011, 11:34 AM

Liked: 14
Thanks for the additional information.
post #188 of 1300 Old 05-04-2011, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member

Question about CMS adjustments with this unit.

- in the past, I would adjust lightness, hue, and saturation for each color.

In this unit, the options are different. I believe like ; green + , red, and blue. (forgive me for not exact text it uses)

How do I do the lightness, hue, and sat with this unit?

Thanks and sorry for simple question.
post #189 of 1300 Old 05-04-2011, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

How does one have this unit only output let's say 1080p but allow frame rates to match source.

Example:

Output would be 1080p for all inputs( even if source was 720p), but, if source was 24fps the output would follow. Etc

Hope this make sense..

Thanks

Also, what does the 3-d adjustment do? Like the phase etc??

Thanks
post #190 of 1300 Old 05-04-2011, 11:24 PM
jrp
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muad'dib View Post

(1) How does one have this unit only output let's say 1080p but allow frame rates to match source. Example: Output would be 1080p for all inputs( even if source was 720p), but, if source was 24fps the output would follow. Etc

(2) Also, what does the 3-d adjustment do? Like the phase etc??

(1) This is the factory default for current software.

24 Hertz in -> Display optimal resolution at 24 Hertz out (if supported by display)
50 Hertz in -> Display optimal resolution at 50 Hertz out
60 Hertz in -> Display optimal resolution at 60 Hertz out

If you are not at factory default and want this the easiest method is to select output as "Auto 2,1" if display is on output 2, or "Auto 1,2" if the display is on output 1.

There is another method that is more work but allows more flexibility for each mode. This would use the input "sub-resolution memories" to select a different output "Mode" for each input resolution and/or rate. For example, you might use this more advanced method if you had 480i/1080i coming in to the Radiance and you know it is true film source to have the Radiance select 24p output for these input rates. This might be associated with MEMB, while the normal output rates for these might be associated with MEMA.

If you need more information on this, please read through the manual and tech-tips (on our support page), and then if you still need help, you can contact us at support@lumagen.com. You can also post questions on our support forum shown on our "links" page of our support webpage.

(2) Normally the 3D glasses "Phase" is controled by the 3D display/projector. If you have a CRT projector (or "3D ready" display/projector) and doing 3D using our "CRT-3D" glasses driver, the Radiance controls the 3D-glasses polarity and phase.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
post #191 of 1300 Old 05-04-2011, 11:36 PM
jrp
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muad'dib View Post

...In this unit, the options are different. I believe like ; green + , red, and blue. (forgive me for not exact text it uses)

How do I do the lightness, hue, and sat with this unit?

Typically the color, Hue and offsets are not needed if you calibrate the primary and secondary using the Gamut controls. In this case the color, hue and offsets would only be needed to compensate if the display or projector has red and/or green push.

I think your question really relates to the fact that we have a real 3D linear-Gamma RGB color palette CMS instead of the mathematically incorrect HLS color space Hue, Saturation, Lightness used by everyone else. So you just need to switch to using our Color Gamut CMS calibration methodology.

I think the best option is to purchase a color calibration software tool for this. Spectracal and ChromaPure software both work with the Radiance and can help you walk through the calibration process with the Radiance CMS and grayscale calibrations.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
post #192 of 1300 Old 05-08-2011, 03:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I'm thinking about getting a Mini3D to use with my RS20 (putting it in after an Onk 3008 AVR that has HDMI input from a Oppo 83 BD and a Comcast cable box/DVR and does 'pass through' of the video) and have tons of questions (even though I've read through this thread and also as much of the Manual as I can decipher). This would be my first video processor.

First, is the 'Vertical Shift' feature (described on pg 21 of the Manual) as good as, or better than, using the projector's lens shift to move the pic up and down? (I currently use lens shift to lower a 2.35 pic on my screen, so that all of the 'black bar' is at the top, but this is rather cumbersome to do.

PS In the above configuration, I presume I just would turn Audio in the M3D 'off', having it only deal with video processing; right?
post #193 of 1300 Old 05-08-2011, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

I'm thinking about getting a Mini3D to use with my RS20 (putting it in after an Onk 3008 AVR that has HDMI input from a Oppo 83 BD and a Comcast cable box/DVR and does 'pass through' of the video) and have tons of questions (even though I've read through this thread and also as much of the Manual as I can decipher). This would be my first video processor.

First, is the 'Vertical Shift' feature (described on pg 21 of the Manual) as good as, or better than, using the projector's lens shift to move the pic up and down? (I currently use lens shift to lower a 2.35 pic on my screen, so that all of the 'black bar' is at the top, but this is rather cumbersome to do.

PS In the above configuration, I presume I just would turn Audio in the M3D 'off', having it only deal with video processing; right?

I've got the same AVR and have Audio off in the M3D. It works very well
post #194 of 1300 Old 05-08-2011, 08:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskreis View Post

I've got the same AVR and have Audio off in the M3D. It works very well

Thanks for the info.
post #195 of 1300 Old 05-11-2011, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:

I have investigated this as I do the same in my setup (except I shift the picture up and then use a velvet mask to hide the lower black bar in 2.35 or 2.40, I don't bother with 1.85) and this was one of the reasons I researched the mini3d. Thanks to RickyJ, I could see it work as he kindly demoed it for me.

It is MUCH better than using the lens shift:
1) It's instant, as you memorize the amount of shift in the separate memories (MEM A-D), so you can go back instantly say from 2.35 to 16/9.
2) It can be programmed, for example on a Logitech Harmony One, which handles the Radiance
3) It doesn't wear the physical lens shift mechanism
4) It's precise: once you memorise the amount of shift for each AR, it doesn't change. You can't memorise the amount of physical shift, the remote control is too slow and the motors not precise enough for the shift to be repeatable, so no automation when using the physical lens shift.

For all these reasons (faster, safer, automatic), it's a great feature in the mini (and other Radiance models I assume) for those who shift the picture vertically on 16/9 screens to get rid of at least one black bar in 2.35 or 2.40.
post #196 of 1300 Old 05-11-2011, 10:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post

I have investigated this as I do the same in my setup (except I shift the picture up and then use a velvet mask to hide the lower black bar in 2.35 or 2.40, I don't bother with 1.85) and this was one of the reasons I researched the mini3d. Thanks to RickyJ, I could see it work as he kindly demoed it for me.

It is MUCH better than using the lens shift:
1) It's instant, as you memorize the amount of shift in the separate memories (MEM A-D), so you can go back instantly say from 2.35 to 16/9.
2) It can be programmed, for example on a Logitech Harmony One, which handles the Radiance
3) It doesn't wear the physical lens shift mechanism
4) It's precise: once you memorise the amount of shift for each AR, it doesn't change. You can't memorise the amount of physical shift, the remote control is too slow and the motors not precise enough for the shift to be repeatable, so no automation when using the physical lens shift.

For all these reasons (faster, safer, automatic), it's a great feature in the mini (and other Radiance models I assume) for those who shift the picture vertically on 16/9 screens to get rid of at least one black bar in 2.35 or 2.40.

Very nice; thanks, Manni. I have ordered a Mini, so am joining the club (and will undoubtedly have tons of questions!)
post #197 of 1300 Old 05-11-2011, 10:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

PS: Manni, is there also a horizontal shift, analogous to the vertical? (I didn't see that mentioned in the manual.)
post #198 of 1300 Old 05-11-2011, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

PS: Manni, is there also a horizontal shift, analogous to the vertical? (I didn't see that mentioned in the manual.)

Not to my knowledge. Not sure it would be very useful... What do you have in mind?
post #199 of 1300 Old 05-11-2011, 11:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Not to my knowledge. Not sure it would be very useful... What do you have in mind?

When I do lens shift via the RS20, lowering the pic (vertical shift) causes the horizontal alignment gets off, so I have to do some horizon lens shift also. Maybe the Lumagen's vertical shift will leave the horizontal alignment alone, which would be great, eliminating the need for any horizon shift.
post #200 of 1300 Old 05-11-2011, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When I do lens shift via the RS20, lowering the pic (vertical shift) causes the horizontal alignment gets off, so I have to do some horizon lens shift also. Maybe the Lumagen's vertical shift will leave the horizontal alignment alone, which would be great, eliminating the need for any horizon shift.

Yes, the vertical shift on the mini is "logical", not physical. It moves the picture electronically on the lcos panels, so there will be not need for horizontal adjustment.
post #201 of 1300 Old 05-14-2011, 08:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp View Post

Yes, the 720p T/B to 720p frame-packed (and 720p frame-sequential) conversions are planned and should come out in the next few weeks.

I was wondering if there is any update on this feature yet?

Thanks.
post #202 of 1300 Old 05-18-2011, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

OK I'm officially confused!

Hopefully someone can help me out here.

This is what I have.

JVC x3 (RS40)
crystalmorphic lens (HS)
cineslide
2.35 scope screen
mini 3D
oppo 93

What I want.

To have the mini3d display the menus, often in 4:3, as they should look with correct aspect. Then when the feature starts, show that in correct aspect, whether its 2.35 or 16:9 etc.

I tried the auto input aspect ratio, but that didn't do what I want.

A little help on this would be greatly appreciated as I'm running out of hair !
post #203 of 1300 Old 05-18-2011, 10:20 PM
jrp
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonj View Post

...What I want.

To have the mini3d display the menus, often in 4:3, as they should look with correct aspect. Then when the feature starts, show that in correct aspect, whether its 2.35 or 16:9 etc.

I tried the auto input aspect ratio, but that didn't do what I want.

A little help on this would be greatly appreciated as I'm running out of hair !

Sorry the HDMI "Auto aspect" cannot work for this. Unfortunately the whole situation with HD 2.35, and SD 2.35 for that matter, was not well thought out for 2.35 screens. As far as the auto aspect is concerned 16:9 and 2.35 bluerays are called out as 16:9.

You will need to manually select 2.35 movies as 2.35.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
post #204 of 1300 Old 05-19-2011, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sorry the HDMI "Auto aspect" cannot work for this. Unfortunately the whole situation with HD 2.35, and SD 2.35 for that matter, was not well thought out for 2.35 screens. As far as the auto aspect is concerned 16:9 and 2.35 bluerays are called out as 16:9.

Thanks Jim. I can work with that.
post #205 of 1300 Old 05-21-2011, 12:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

Isn't this because 2.35 are still encoded with black bars as 16:9 on blu-ray?
post #206 of 1300 Old 05-21-2011, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotchaa View Post

Isn't this because 2.35 are still encoded with black bars as 16:9 on blu-ray?

Yes it is. Short of analysing the content of the picture to detect the black bars, it is not possible to detect the AR automatically, as unlike with DVD the AR is not encoded in the bluray stream so cannot be reliably detected. All blurays return a 16/9 AR.
post #207 of 1300 Old 05-21-2011, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes it is. Short of analysing the content of the picture to detect the black bars, it is not possible to detect the AR automatically, as unlike with DVD the AR is not encoded in the bluray stream so cannot be reliably detected. All blurays return a 16/9 AR.
Seems like we need to campaign to the studios to include an encode of anamorphic scope, but this may be difficult to do because of all the blu-ray players out there would not know how to handle squeezing down the vertical stretch for setups that don't have a-lens....seems like we will never see this as an option on disc media, probably can happen with streamed media though.
post #208 of 1300 Old 06-04-2011, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Could anyone tell me if the Mini will allow active AR 2.35:1/ A custom output rez of 1920x817@72Hz, for 2.35:1 1080@24p blurays ?..

JRP,
If I want to run 2 projectors for Passive 3D using A HDMI Splitter berfore the Mini's can 2 mini's be used as A Demultiplexer,
1 for left eye 1 for Right eye for passive 3D or is it only possable to use the dual mini's for active 3D..

Thanks..
post #209 of 1300 Old 06-09-2011, 09:11 PM
jrp
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema mad View Post

Could anyone tell me if the Mini will allow active AR 2.35:1/ A custom output rez of 1920x817@72Hz, for 2.35:1 1080@24p blurays ?..

JRP,
If I want to run 2 projectors for Passive 3D using A HDMI Splitter berfore the Mini's can 2 mini's be used as A Demultiplexer,
1 for left eye 1 for Right eye for passive 3D or is it only possable to use the dual mini's for active 3D.

Thanks..

You can use dual RadianceMini-3D units for passive 3D, assuming you have everything else you need (two projectors polarization filters for in front of the projectors, a screen that preserves the polarization, and appropriate passive glasses). You would select one Radiance to output the left eye and one to output the right eye.

We have a couple things we need to do to get this completed. Should not be too long.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
post #210 of 1300 Old 06-11-2011, 04:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Thankyou Jim,
Would running dual Mini's for passive 3D require special software like required with dual projector Active 3D ?..

I do have most the hardware other than 2 Mini's
polarization filters & Glasses..

Dual mini's would provide the ability of being able to config custom timings alowing active area scanning for 3D blu-rays with 2.40.1/2.35:1 aspect ratios thus 1920x800/817p @ 48/72Hz(2:2/3:3) which for me is huge not to mention the ability to perfectly match each projector, when Compared to other 3D products such as Optoma 3dxl (x2) & the like Demultiplexer...

Jase..
Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page