Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #211 of 1230 Old 06-11-2011, 08:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Should one turn off the Radiance Mini when turning the projector off, or just leave it on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 1230 Old 06-12-2011, 01:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
to be carbon friendly you could turn it off....I leave mine on permanently though.

Convergent-AV
ISF, Home Theater Consultants and Distribution, U.K.
post #213 of 1230 Old 06-12-2011, 07:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Fraser View Post

to be carbon friendly you could turn it off....I leave mine on permanently though.

Tx. I think the current it draws is minimal, but I was concerned about damage to the unit.
post #214 of 1230 Old 06-16-2011, 11:55 PM
jrp
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
As long as the RadianceMini-3D has proper cooling there is no harm in leaving it on all the time.

There is, of course, the long running debate on if leaving electronics on all the time can actually increase life expectancy by eliminating the stress of the on/off, heat/cool, cycling. Don't have a definitive answer on that, but your RadianceMini-3D will be happy either way.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
post #215 of 1230 Old 06-18-2011, 04:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does the Mini 3d have any type of HDMI out signal amplification? What is the recommended distance limitations on it without using the HDMI-HDMI boosters? Have some installs where the projector is quite a bit away.
post #216 of 1230 Old 06-18-2011, 05:40 AM

Location: Fort Worth, TX (born and raised in Montréal, Québec, Canada)
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond design View Post

Does the Mini 3d have any type of HDMI out signal amplification? What is the recommended distance limitations on it without using the HDMI-HDMI boosters? Have some installs where the projector is quite a bit away.

My projector is connected to the mini via a 30' high speed HDMI cable and works fine.

GO HABS GO!
post #217 of 1230 Old 06-20-2011, 06:51 AM

I'm lookingat 45' which is why I'm curious about any active amplification out of the mini itself. I thought I had read somewhere the lumagen's have that but I could be thinking of something else.
post #218 of 1230 Old 06-20-2011, 01:46 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond design View Post

I'm lookingat 45' which is why I'm curious about any active amplification out of the mini itself. I thought I had read somewhere the lumagen's have that but I could be thinking of something else.

I'm running a 65 feet Atlona HDMI 1.3b cable from my Radiance XS to my JVC DLA-X3. Never had a single issue (1080p60, 1080p 3D... you name it) and since Mini is very similar to XE/XS but with less ports I'd say it safe to assume that the signal coming out from all Radiances is pretty much as good as it gets.
post #219 of 1230 Old 06-22-2011, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel J. Dumeny View Post

Moved the Mini 3D to the projector location - it synchs OK now, with a short run to the projector input (the HDMI switches apparently put out a stronger HDMI signal?).

Two problems still exist:

The HTPC with an NVidia GTX470 card doesn't recognize the Lumagen as 3D capable, so I have to bypass the Mini 3D for now to get 3D on my projector from the computer.
Thanks.

Is this still an issue? I am thinking of picking up the Mini 3D, but would need to know it will work with an HTPC setup using the Nvidia card from the same series (GT430).

The Nvidia drivers/video card need to know the device on the other side is 3D capable before it will pass the frame packed material to the projector.

I would use with my JVC RS50 and possibly the Acer 5360 which are both 3D capable projectors.

thanks!
post #220 of 1230 Old 06-26-2011, 07:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 306
There is no such thing as an HDMI amplifier though certain HDMI chip sets put out a stronger signal then others. Often if I use a long HDMI cable to my projectors hooked up to a source directly, its a no go. Depends both on the source and the projector. Driving from my Lumasgen, never a problem. There are ways of extending the range of HDMI over considerable transmission lengths. And that is to insert an HDNI regenerator after say a 25 ft run. One does NOT place such a device at the sending end of a long run. It goes at the sink end where it regenerates a deteriorated HDMI signal before sending it further.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #221 of 1230 Old 06-30-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

Is this still an issue? I am thinking of picking up the Mini 3D, but would need to know it will work with an HTPC setup using the Nvidia card from the same series (GT430).

The Nvidia drivers/video card need to know the device on the other side is 3D capable before it will pass the frame packed material to the projector.

I would use with my JVC RS50 and possibly the Acer 5360 which are both 3D capable projectors.

thanks!

I still connect my HTPC directly to the projector. Have not re-attempted to connect through the Mini 3D, since the vast amount of entertainment content (satellite, PS3, BluRay) goes through the Mini 3D with no problem, and the HTPC is used mostly for net surfing and some limited Netflix streaming. Next time I have a ladder out, I'll mess with re-connecting the HTPC through the Mini 3D and see what happens.

FYI - even on direct connect I have had problems with some 3D apps, for example WinDVD would not detect 3D capable display while other Blu-Ray apps work fine in 3D. Mini 3D is a nice unit - works well in tandem with the JVC projectors.
post #222 of 1230 Old 07-02-2011, 06:46 PM

1. Has anyone use a radiance mini with a yamaha soundbar ysp 4100?
would it give me any problems?
2. looking to replace my radiance XD-3D with a mini.
3. can't use a full size receiver with speakers so sound bar would have to do..
soundbar has 4 hdmi input and 1 hdmi output.
post #223 of 1230 Old 07-16-2011, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
I have a mini on order and have a couple of setup questions. The mini will be feeding an RS40 projector. One input will be connected to a DirecTv DVR and the other to an Oppo BDP93 BD Player.

I trust I should set the DirecTv box to Native Mode (meaning the DVR does not change resolution) and set the Mini to output 1080p for all input resolutions. Any other setup tips? Is anyone using any noise reduction/etc with 480i content?

The Oppo does a pretty good job of scaling everything to 1080p but I trust the mini is better at this. It seems I should set the Oppo to "Source Direct" and set the Mini to output 1080p/60 for everything except 1080p/24 or am I missing something?

Geof
post #224 of 1230 Old 07-16-2011, 09:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof View Post

I trust I should set the DirecTv box to Native Mode (meaning the DVR does not change resolution) and set the Mini to output 1080p for all input resolutions.

The Oppo does a pretty good job of scaling everything to 1080p but I trust the mini is better at this. It seems I should set the Oppo to "Source Direct" and set the Mini to output 1080p/60 for everything except 1080p/24 or am I missing something?

That's about right.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #225 of 1230 Old 07-16-2011, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 93
These are good assumptions, although where do you plan to put your AVR? As you describe your intentions, it looks like you will put the AVR after the mini. I would suggest to connect your sources to the AVR, use it as a switch (with no video processing / conversion) and connect your AVR out to the mini input1. You will then be able to connect more physical sources to your AVR instead of beaing limited by the two physical inputs of the mini and also you can assign virtual inputs on the mini to the physical input 1. This means you can still apply a different processing depending on each actual source if you want.

It will make more sense when you get it...
post #226 of 1230 Old 07-16-2011, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Manni,
I'm not putting my AVR in the video chain and I only have two video sources in the theater so I'm good to go in that regard.

Geof
post #227 of 1230 Old 07-20-2011, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

I got my mini yesterday and it's everything I hoped it would be. No sense preaching the choir here but this thing really is amazing (now I know why Mark praises it). I expected to have to go thru some sort of setup to get it to work but the darn worked pretty much exactly as I wanted right out of the box. I spent a few hours walking thru the menu's and that has helped augment what I learned from RTFM. I haven't tried calibration yet (or autocalibration) but that'll happen when I get my new i1D3Pro from Tom.

Geof
post #228 of 1230 Old 07-22-2011, 07:46 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof View Post

I got my mini yesterday and it's everything I hoped it would be. No sense preaching the choir here but this thing really is amazing (now I know why Mark praises it). I expected to have to go thru some sort of setup to get it to work but the darn worked pretty much exactly as I wanted right out of the box. I spent a few hours walking thru the menu's and that has helped augment what I learned from RTFM. I haven't tried calibration yet (or autocalibration) but that'll happen when I get my new i1D3Pro from Tom.

Hello.

The Radiance is an amazing video processor.

Please, could you put here your feedback about the autocalibration with the i1D3Pro and I guess chromapure software.

Thanks

Regards

I'm french .... sorry for my english
post #229 of 1230 Old 07-27-2011, 03:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I wish there was a barebones radiance mini that was half the current price.

I dont need cms, projector has a full one, dont need 3d, i dont have 3d system and believe it maybe a fad.

I dont need noise reduction, i have never seen anything better then the algolith flea.

I would really just like it for 1080i deinterlacing, a few tweaks and maybe the odd tv upconversion.

Vp's are a dying breed, its becoming harder to justify this price mainly for deinterlacing of 1080i material especially since blu-ray @ 1080/24 the sign of a good processor is not altering it.

I dont watch dvd anymore only blu-ray but 20% of my collection is 1080i blu-rays thats my main interest in this, but not for over a grand.
post #230 of 1230 Old 07-27-2011, 06:33 AM

Liked: 19
With blu-ray the Radiance's noise reduction and sharpness is better than the FLEA. Since I have had the Radiance my FLEA has been sold.

1080i deinterlacing works very well both in 50 Hz and 60 Hz. With a 1080i60 FILM the Radiance can output a smooth 1080p24.

For the CMS, I don't know what is your projector but several radiance users prefer to use its CMS instead of the one available through the projector. It is my case (JVC HD750)

I'm french .... sorry for my english
post #231 of 1230 Old 07-27-2011, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Well Alex not saying your not right, but last time I was told something was better then the flea and they sold it to me, it simply was not (IMO) as several other users found out as well. Isn't the radiance NR just the genum chip? People also endorse there latest toys.

One day I will compare, because I love my flea, but its a pain in the ass since it wont pass 1080/60p i would love nothing more then to find something better, but so far abt, realta, qdeo fell way short in coming close to its noise reduction, i am very picky if it removes detail it becomes useless to me, the flea's strength is it preserves detail on low settings while removing noise.

And since algolith dedicated almost all its resources to Noise reduction i am still a bit skeptical at these claims, I might be sold if i seen pictures or something. Or even a demo, but its hard to come by where i live in canada.

If I could see a demo and actually did find it better I might eventually consider the price, but my noise reduction standards are extremely high.

Also i dont use sharpness, blu-ray should not be sharpened imo.

The cms in my projector was professionally calibrated, i have no need for the cms.
post #232 of 1230 Old 07-27-2011, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I can't speak for the Flea, but I've got a Mosquito and it's NR functions are better than those in the Radiance. This said, the Radiance's NR features are still better than those in BD players (incl the Oppo's Qdeo) and most if not all TV sets.
post #233 of 1230 Old 07-27-2011, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes mosquito is practically the same as the flea with more robust connections and user friendly remote. Noise reduction algolrithims are the same according to my discussions and others discussion with algolith its the same technology.

I actually have two of them, one was given me to by them as a replacement and the original was fixed.

I wish a vp company would just buy algoliths NR technology.

On a side note was not impressed with qdeo nr in the oppo 93 either.
post #234 of 1230 Old 07-27-2011, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

I prefer my hdmi flea to my radiance 3d-XD and dvdo duo nr.
The flea is the best I have ever seen.
post #235 of 1230 Old 08-14-2011, 03:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 53
How do you set up a receiver to use it as audio with the mini3?
post #236 of 1230 Old 08-14-2011, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Just place the Radiance Mini After the Sound processor/HDMI pass through(Audio will be striped out) thus you also use the Sound processor as A HDMI switch if need be & set up the Radiance mini's virtual inputs to suit the way you want to treat the different sources connected to the Sound Processor..
post #237 of 1230 Old 08-14-2011, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

im interested in buying the mini for a couple reasons. firstly, i have all of my sources run through a denon 602 scaler which uses the realta chip. i find it a great scaler a bought it from avs when they had the group buy. it feeds my jvc rs35 pj which has been isf calibrated. i like what the scaler does but since getting a dune d1 media streamer, i have some issues with 1080p24.

basically, there is a "bug" that bluray rips (23.978 - which are 95% of all blurays) display an occasional 42 second image judder. many refer this issue as "micro-judder". since the dune doesn't have source direct (and most likely never will), im trying to understand why i get this judder and not from my oppo 83 bd player. both units are output 1080p24, yet the dune will have the judder with or without the scaler. now im not sure if the scaler isn't able to properly fix this, if the pj can't, or if its simply just the dune's fault and can't be fixed unless they eventually offer source direct.

the only way i have found to get away from this issue is to have the dune output 1080p24 and then have the denon scaler output 1080p60 the the pj. not the best solution as this introduces other nasties, but it does get rid of that judder which is very annoying. so my question is:

can/will the mini be able to fix this issue or is it a source problem that can only be fixed by dune?

post #238 of 1230 Old 08-15-2011, 02:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Anthony are you outputting 1080/24 on the dune or 1080/23.976.

It should be the later.

Do you notice this on panning scenes?
post #239 of 1230 Old 08-15-2011, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

initially, i was outputting 1080p/24 and had autoframe rate enabled (24/60). with autoframe rate enabled, any resolution i tried would give me the micro judder. the only solution was for my scaler to take this signal and output it to the pj at 1080p/60.

at the moment, i have autoframe rate disabled and have the dune outputting 1080p/23.978. this seems to have reduced the micro-judder but since i've only watched a few movies since this change i am not 100% sure yet. im really not sure if the denon scaler has something to do with this also, but i doubt it as i had the dune outputting directly into the pj and got the same judder.

in regards to panning, 1080p/23.978 from the dune has the least amount of panning judder. note though that i am not talking about panning judder, but the 24hz bug is referred to as micro-judder. basically, every 42 seconds an additional frame is inserted into the video file and you see this slight pause in the video. its not always visible and sometimes hard to detect depending on the scene and it can't be reproduced by rewinding either as 42 seconds must pass before it appears again.

post #240 of 1230 Old 08-16-2011, 01:53 AM

I am considering the Radiance Mini for my JVC RS60/X9 3D projector and wanted to see if anyone was using this setup? Does the 3D work ok with the JVC projector and JVC 3D glasses?

I plan to use my AV processor for all my components and just put the Mini between the projector and processor. The AV processor only has one HDMI output so that should be fine as I understand it. You would put the HDMI cable from the projector on the HDMI OUT 1 on the Mini and then run a shorter HDMI cable from the Mini HDMI INPUT 1 to the AV processor HDMI output?

How is the CMS in the MINI, I was told to use it instead of the JVC CMS due to issues. There was a firmware update posted on the JVC Pro website and I thought this may have fixed some of those initial issues. Does anyone know or have advice there?

Thanks for any thoughts and input on this.
Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page