Darbee Visual Presence at CES 2011? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 01-13-2011, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Did anyone happen to see demonstrations of DarbeeVision at CES this year? This looks like a really exciting technology for enhancing 2D (and presumably 3D) images. The example images on their site were pretty good but I'm wondering how moving pictures looked and whether there were examples of enhanced SD, HD and/or Blu-Ray images at CES.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 01-14-2011, 09:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Is this the same DarbeeVision that was used on a few DVDs (Gosford Park comes to mind) and amounted to really heavy edge enhancement? I don't think anyone is too excited to see that make a comeback.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #3 of 22 Old 01-23-2011, 09:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
As far as I know, it's not based on edge enhancement, but relative contrast enhancement - tries to simulate how the eye perceives a scene and puffs out the contrast to make it more dramatic.

What I saw looked good to me and I'm intrested in seeing the new eeColor/Darbeevision box arrive.

I wasn't at CES tho, so I didn't see any more than what was at CEDIA.

I'm too am curious if anyone saw anything from them at CES.
post #4 of 22 Old 01-24-2011, 09:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Eh, artificial contrast boosting doesn't sound any more appealing to me than e.e., frankly.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #5 of 22 Old 01-24-2011, 04:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Eh, artificial contrast boosting doesn't sound any more appealing to me than e.e., frankly.

I'm still dying to see it in my living room and judge it
post #6 of 22 Old 02-05-2011, 08:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 293
I loved what I saw at Cedia. Like anything else, I am sure opinions will differ.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #7 of 22 Old 02-11-2011, 04:01 PM

Hi Mark, what about a super deal group buy on the truvue/darbee unit. Maybe a preorder?
post #8 of 22 Old 02-23-2011, 10:39 PM

Liked: 14
They say that they want to bring it to consumers for under $100.
post #9 of 22 Old 02-24-2011, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter

I just saw this video on Engineering TV- an interview with the Darbee CEO and a demonstration:

http://www.engineeringtv.com/video/D...e-DVP;CES-2011

The streaming video quality of the interview certainly doesn't help in forming a final opinion about the technology but I must say my curiosity is piqued.
post #10 of 22 Old 03-24-2011, 06:00 PM

New Rule:
See it and then evaluate. If this box is reasonably priced and the results look anything like CEDIA Demos, it may just replacethe awful and disapointing and expensive 3D options I saw with their shutter glasses, polarized glasses and no glasses--they all were nowhere. All the 3D stuff is flailing around with different techniques because none of them is a solid performer.
Let's hear it for a USA innovator.
post #11 of 22 Old 03-28-2011, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
^^^ +1. Mark H. made me aware of this while on the phone today about something else. I would love to see it and hope that I feel it does add depth to 2D images as apparently do others. .
post #12 of 22 Old 04-05-2011, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Was reading my new March Wide Screen Review's CES article by Gary Reber tonight and he was flat out impressed with this technology. At the end of a couple detailed paragraphs he said WSR will be the first to review it when released. From talking with one of their marketing folks on the phone about a week ago it is sounding like over $1,000 for the set top box.
post #13 of 22 Old 04-25-2011, 06:10 PM

DarbeeVision will begin shipping an HDMI cable accessory with an embedded video processor module soon.

No shipping date or price yet.

Quotes:

"DarbeeVision's video processor module, in a small housing embedded in the HDMI cable, plugs into a gaming console and enhances the output of any video game, as well as any digital video including DVD, Blu-ray Disc and media player content on both standard and high-definition TVs, the company said."

"The original image's depth and clarity are enhanced by the cable's processor, resulting in what DarbeeVision called 'an extraordinary sense of realism and depth'."

Will the AVS store sell this cable???

http://www.twice.com/article/467251-..._Processor.php
post #14 of 22 Old 05-27-2011, 12:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Bumpity Bump bump...

Anyone heard any good news about these products yet?
post #15 of 22 Old 06-02-2011, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

They are demoing next week at E3 in Los Angeles 7th - 9th, with 2 50" Sony LCD flat panels for before and after comparisons including bluray movie footage in addition to gaming CGI, if you are in So Cal and can get in.....Industry only at E3. Darbeevision name not listed on exhibitors but they are definitely there.

Edit....
I was able to get down to E3 with a pass from my son's company that was working the show with large LED walls. I only spent time in 2 places....with him watching the interesting job he does and the cool equipment he works with (you should see those wall modules from behind), and probably an hour and a half at the Darbee exhibit. 2 50" LCD flat panels on the inside circle of the booth gave processed and unprocessed comparisons of the detail in a rooftop scene overlooking a city from one game. Behind them and facing the opposite direction outward toward the foot traffic was a single 50" display that was running IMAX Under The Sea in 2D with pop on and off processing comparisons plus split screen with movable line as well.

The effect ranges from subtle to wow! look at that depending on the scenes, and show as additional shape of details and depth into the screen. As some other people have said above after seeing at CEDIA and CES you virtually never pick the "before" picture as the one you'd rather watch. Looking at that tiny flat panel set up under the bright show environment I kept imagining how tremendous it would look on my 8.5' wide 2.8 HP screen with its high performance images from my RS50 JVC. They maintain that there is 15% more information coming into the image after processing than is originally on a Bluray disc.

The first products will be very cost effective and reasonably priced in the form of modded HDMI cables (small module on end attaching to source out) with small remote to bump the DarbeeVision process from OFF to 5 - 10 - 15..... up to 120 level of the effects in 5 point increments. Default usually left around 100 - 110. No unwanted artifacts were generated. Eventually there will be a set top box for more money but that mainly will buy you more STB features....switching probably, analogue inputs, etc, etc but not additional processing. It will likely be firmwared upgradable in the field however, ala Lumagen, so as their technology advances you will be able to stay current with your hardware investment. But you will get all the bang for the buck technologically with each generation of the cables at a fraction of the cost. Of course they're not firmware upgradable.

I had the pleasure of talking with Paul Darbee himself for around 10 minutes and he is a very nice gentleman. His response was very excited when I asked him if there was the capability for his technology to keep advancing in the future as chip technology itself advances. In a word YES!! They're already working toward that end. The first cables hopefully will be available for retail by the holiday season...probably $200 range or less. 3D capable as well with some additional detail to be added even within the stereoscopic left / right images. Here's a couple recent press releases below from their site with others already there and more certainly to come. The second kind of reads like an auto English translation. Deals were being talked about already from representatives in the industry coming by from the response Paul said they were getting.

http://www.darbeevision.com/view_new...ccessory_Maker

http://www.darbeevision.com/view_new...ple_HDMI_cable
post #16 of 22 Old 06-08-2011, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

bump
post #17 of 22 Old 08-30-2011, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The last few weeks I have been trying to figure out if this company is going to put out more than hyped promises and then I found this article http://pinoytutorial.com/techtorial/...ate-confirmed/ which says than there will be a HDMI cable by "Snakebyte" that will have Darbeevision technology embedded for $150.00 usd this October. Also, Darbee alluded to having their technology in a Nvidia GPU but, I could find no reference to it on Nvidia's website. Any comments or observations?
post #18 of 22 Old 12-07-2011, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Any more news on this cable?

post #19 of 22 Old 05-07-2012, 08:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

OK - DarbeeVision is now shipping a box called the "Darblet"

I've got two on order, I think they begin shipping this week.

Looks really great, handles pretty much all HDMI 1.4 formats, such as 1080p24, 1080p60, etc etc

I'm really looking forward to getting my paws on these and running them through their paces on my system..
post #20 of 22 Old 05-07-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam View Post

OK - DarbeeVision is now shipping a box called the "Darblet"

I've got two on order, I think they begin shipping this week.

Looks really great, handles pretty much all HDMI 1.4 formats, such as 1080p24, 1080p60, etc etc

I'm really looking forward to getting my paws on these and running them through their paces on my system..

ditto a long long time coming with lots of hype.

Looking forward to your evaluation.

g
post #21 of 22 Old 06-06-2012, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

Smarthome is carrying this now... got an email flyer on it today... about 270 bones.
post #22 of 22 Old 06-29-2012, 08:15 AM

Liked: 20
Smarthome like all other dealers is out of stock. Darbee probably won't be able to ship dealers more for about 2 weeks. We at AVS are their biggest dealer and have plenty on order. While you can't order one on our click and buy store because they are out of stock, you can order one by calling any of our sales team members and we will ship you one out of the next batch as soon as they hit our stock room. All dealers charge the same price $269 and our price includes free shipping to the lower 48. Try it. You will like it. smile.gif
Reply Video Processors

Tags
Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page