Adding PIP to a TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-13-2011, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone. I'm admittedly a bit of a noob in this area which is why I was hoping to get some good advice from you folks here. Basically, my dad recently purchased a new HDTV and loves it. The only issue is he really misses his old PIP function. With father's day coming up, I was hoping to be able to give that feature back to him. He has Comcast and none of their cable boxes have PIP, so I guess I will need a stand alone unit.

Ideally, I'd like it to be relatively cheap for the setup and relatively simple to use. Installation can be as hard or easy as necessary since I will take care of that for him, but I want him to be able to use it without calling me all the time.

As far as what I prefer, I would like a unit that can take the HD signal from the cable box and under normal viewing, just pass that image to the TV. However, when he wants PIP, then I would like it to be able to display a secondary box. I don't know much about video processors, so I might have to connect an external tuner to the vp in order to have a source for the PIP. That's all fine but like I said, getting the PIP function is number one.

Hopefully I explained everything but please do not hesitate to ask for clarification if I missed something. Thanks in advance guys, I know my dad will appreciate it as well. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-13-2011, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffman33 View Post

Hello everyone. I'm admittedly a bit of a noob in this area which is why I was hoping to get some good advice from you folks here. Basically, my dad recently purchased a new HDTV and loves it. The only issue is he really misses his old PIP function. With father's day coming up, I was hoping to be able to give that feature back to him. He has Comcast and none of their cable boxes have PIP, so I guess I will need a stand alone unit.

Ideally, I'd like it to be relatively cheap for the setup and relatively simple to use. Installation can be as hard or easy as necessary since I will take care of that for him, but I want him to be able to use it without calling me all the time.

As far as what I prefer, I would like a unit that can take the HD signal from the cable box and under normal viewing, just pass that image to the TV. However, when he wants PIP, then I would like it to be able to display a secondary box. I don't know much about video processors, so I might have to connect an external tuner to the vp in order to have a source for the PIP. That's all fine but like I said, getting the PIP function is number one.

Hopefully I explained everything but please do not hesitate to ask for clarification if I missed something. Thanks in advance guys, I know my dad will appreciate it as well. :-)

Not sure about any external boxes that can do this. Most of the new Sony tvs have PIP/P&P where you can use 1 hdmi input and one other input (non-hdmi) internal tv-cable tuner/component/composite input. Samsungs also have P&P but can only access the tv tuner in one box.
Might be easier to exchange tv if possible.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #3 of 5 Old 06-13-2011, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks but this is a father's day gift. The TV is about 6 months old and he loves it. Besides, for the price no other tv has PIP function. Just doing a quick search I can find units for PIP but they are quite expensive which is why I'm asking here. Since I don't know what is needed I'm not even sure which cheap model would work for me, so I thought I'd ask.
post #4 of 5 Old 06-14-2011, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The InstantHQV by CYP can show a composite and s-video PiP window over a HDMI source. The Radiance XD/XE can do PiP with any sources (e.g. 2x HDMI or Component over HDMI).

Those are the only two processors I can think of and both aren't exactly cheap.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-26-2013, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudoh View Post

The InstantHQV by CYP can show a composite and s-video PiP window over a HDMI source. The Radiance XD/XE can do PiP with any sources (e.g. 2x HDMI or Component over HDMI).

Those are the only two processors I can think of and both aren't exactly cheap.

These options would work?? I have new vizio 80" that doesn't have PIP and want to use it to see a coax cable connection I have to a camera.

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page