HDMI to component - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 06-28-2011, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am helping a friend with an issue where he is unable to feed HDMI to his TV. No matter what HDMI cable or HDMI port on the TV we try, the picture is very staticy and/or cuts out frequently.

The setup is like this:

Source --HDMI--> Receiver --HDMI--> TV

All HDMI video sources are fed to a receiver which then outputs everything over a single HDMI output to the TV. We want to keep everything going in via HDMI to the receiver, and still output over HDMI, so is there a way to convert to component before it hits the TV?

We can't output from the receiver using component video cables directly when the sources use HDMI, because it doesn't do its own conversion or switching.

I see random online stores that show such a device to convert HDMI to component exists, but success seems to vary.

Has anyone tried one or have other ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 06-28-2011, 12:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 341
HDMI is encrypted with HDCP copy protection. It cannot (legally) be converted to an analog format, which would require defeating the encryption.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #3 of 29 Old 06-28-2011, 03:55 PM

Liked: 11
Those generic ones should work for signals that are not encrypted with HDCP. How well they work is a different story. Can't say from firsthand experience.

Now, for signals that ARE encrypted with HDCP, you will need one that can remove the HDCP encryption. The legality of removing the HDCP signal for personal use (for example, converting the video so that a projector, TV, or monitor that doesn't have a HDMI input or DVI-HDCP input can display it) has been a topic of debate.

Some of those cheap ones claim they are capable of removing HDCP signal, but again I can't say from firsthand experience. I am contemplating purchasing one in the near future though, and if I do I'll let you know how it works out. Also note that most of these models won't downscale the image, so if you feed it a 1080p HDMI source, it will output a 1080p component video source, which many TVs will not accept.

There's also this device called the HDfury. Actually they have three models.
post #4 of 29 Old 06-29-2011, 12:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Isn't it better to get at the root of the problem? Find out where the problem is in the present set-up. Something isn't right somewhere. Looking for a way to defeat HDCP to get a component video solution as a workaround is a compromise and isn't going about it the right way IMO.

I seem to remember reading some AVRs have hand shaking issues with some displays. If that's the case here or if the AVR has a fault then it may also have issues with another device it connects to.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

post #5 of 29 Old 06-29-2011, 12:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Do the Sources work via HDMI when you bypass the AVR?

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #6 of 29 Old 06-29-2011, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

No, doesn't work if the sources are going straight to the TV. It's not that it doesn't get a picture at all, but rather at some random time, the picture becomes staticy and blinks on and off. Wiggling the HDMI cable to the TV around fixes it temporarily. It's either an issue with the cables or the HDMI ports on the TV. The TV is out of warranty though. We'll try another cable just to be sure (3rd or 4th to be tried, but will be a different brand).

I think my question about HDMI to component has been answered though which is that it's not very feasible.

Thanks
post #7 of 29 Old 06-29-2011, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

How long is the HDMI run to the TV?

Joe

post #8 of 29 Old 06-29-2011, 11:03 AM

The "number one" problem with using a HDMI>component switch is...

To get "reliable" performance, you have to set everything 1080I/720P. Even on BD that "sometimes" doesn't remove the HDCP. Most of the movies from a BD player I've tried, if you leave it 1080P(the 60 or 24 is irrelevant)...the HDCP kicks in. When switched to 1080I 90% of the time HDCP is also turned off(which is how it exits the component on a "before the Analog Sunset" BD player).

Once the Analog Sunset occurs(for BD only)...you may have no choice but to fix the TV, or replace it.

Depending on the TV(since we have no idea which one this is), the HDMI board is probably replaceable. If so, find another one, or remove it and take it to a shop.
post #9 of 29 Old 06-29-2011, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

You would use an HDMI to Component 'Converter' and realistically it will have to be of the HDCP 'stripper' variety - as previously mentioned you may find the Component Input on your TV won't support 1080p, mind you lots of folk won't spot 1080p vs. 1080i

HDFury2 is very effective!

Joe

post #10 of 29 Old 06-29-2011, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post

How long is the HDMI run to the TV?

Joe

About 3-5 ft.

The TV is a Sony SXRD 55A2000. I might look into those HD Fury devices.
post #11 of 29 Old 06-29-2011, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Would be nice to know if the problem occurs for all resolutions, including SD or just 1080p60. Is it using high speed HDMI cable? Is source outputting 444 or Deep Color?

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

post #12 of 29 Old 07-19-2011, 09:28 AM

I have the HDfury 3 and it works great.
post #13 of 29 Old 07-19-2011, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 29
After reading the OP's post and replies i agree that it sounds like he has a bad HDMI input on the tv.What's telling is the fact that when he 'wiggles'the cable,there is a noticeable diff.
I would have a hard time believing that 4 diff. HDMI cables are all bad.So it seems that he has basically 2 choices other than buying a new tv.Either get a new HDMI input(board)or buy a HDFury 2 or 3,whichever is cheaper.
Contrary to popular belief the HDFury is NOT a HDCP 'stripper! Rather,it de-crypts encrypted video in the same way that the HDMI input on a tv does.Then it transcribes that video to Comp.RGB/VGA and then is output to the tv's Component or VGA input. G.
post #14 of 29 Old 07-19-2011, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

The first thing an HDFury2 does is 'strip' HDCP - if it didn't it couldn't then Output an Analogue HD signal!

As soon as you Output Analogue HD from an HDCP Source your breaking the rules of your HDMI Licence.

All the marketing blurb may rattle on about HDMI/HDCP compliance but you can guarantee the team behind HDFury don't receive a Christmas card from HDMI.org!!!

Joe

post #15 of 29 Old 07-20-2011, 03:56 AM

Are you wiggeling the HD at the source or the TV end
post #16 of 29 Old 07-20-2011, 06:40 AM

Quote:

The first thing an HDFury2 does is 'strip' HDCP - if it didn't it couldn't then Output an Analogue HD signal!

As soon as you Output Analogue HD from an HDCP Source your breaking the rules of your HDMI Licence.

All the marketing blurb may rattle on about HDMI/HDCP compliance but you can guarantee the team behind HDFury don't receive a Christmas card from HDMI.org!!!

Joe

I like this answer!
post #17 of 29 Old 07-20-2011, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Joe

No the Fury DECIPHERS the signal,it does not 'strip' it from the signal.
Stripping and deciphering are TWO DIFFERENT ACTIONS.They have nothing in common with each other.
The fact that HDCP.org doesn't like the DECIPHERING of the digital signal,then the TRANSCRIPTION of digital HDMI to analog Component video does NOT change the definition of the words "decipher" and "stripping",no matter how much HDCP.org. would like people to think it does,and it seems that you have fallen into their trap-into their way of thinking-of mis-defining words and their true meaning.HDCP.org isn't Websters dictionary,they don't have the right to determine the meaning of words! PERIOD!!
BTW,Christmas cards aside, HDFury joined HDCP.org last January,they must follow the licensing agreement between the two entities.That licensing agreement includes among other things to not produce a device that HDCP.org deems to be intrusive of copyright laws. G.
post #18 of 29 Old 07-20-2011, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

So word play aside HDFury2 is now HDCP 'Compliant' and the 'unknown' manufacturer is now an HDMI Licence holder - if that is true then every other HDMI Licence holder will be 'deciphering' and HDCP is dead!

Go on then who Manufactures it?

Joe

post #19 of 29 Old 07-20-2011, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So word play aside HDFury2 is now HDCP 'Compliant' and the 'unknown' manufacturer is now an HDMI Licence holder - if that is true then every other HDMI Licence holder will be 'deciphering' and HDCP is dead!

Go on then who Manufactures it?

Joe

There is no "WORDPLAY"!! words have a definite MEANING. Again,"DECIPHER" and "STRIP" have NOTHING to do with each other.Stop implying that they do.
When HDFury joined HDCP.org the Fury2 and 3 were removed from the North American market,there are no more domestic sellers of these devices.Now to honor their licencing agreement with HDMI.org,they are set to introduce the HDFury4 which will kill it's output if HDCP is detected.
Every HDCP.org licensee is required to produce devices that will NOT allow their output to remain active if HDCP is detected.If the license holder continues to produce a device that allows HDCP protected content,then the license holder is in violation of the agreement and 'i think' be open to legal action.Producers that do not belong to HDCP.org can *for now* produce devices that aren't HDCP compliant,but those days will shortly come to an end too. G.
PS: I sure do wish HDCP would DIE!!
post #20 of 29 Old 07-20-2011, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm so glad we got the word play sorted - one device is 'usefull' HDFury2 and the other virtually 'useless' HDFury4.

I'll try and remember later that my HDF2 is 'dechipering' not stripping!!!

Joe

post #21 of 29 Old 07-20-2011, 10:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I'm so glad we got the word play sorted - one device is 'usefull' HDFury2 and the other virtually 'useless' HDFury4.

I'll try and remember later that my HDF2 is 'dechipering' not stripping!!!
Greaser is arguing semantics. As even he acknowledges in his most recent post, the HDMI license explicitly prohibits any device from "deciphering," "decoding" or whatever you want to call it HDCP and then exporting the video signal externally from that device (whether by analog or digital) without re-adding the HDCP.

What the HDFury2 does is "decode" the HDCP, and then export the video without adding HDCP back (because you can't add HDCP to analog anyway). This is in effect "stripping" the HDCP from the video signal, and is a cut-and-dried violation of the license.

Josh Z

post #22 of 29 Old 07-20-2011, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm so glad we got the word play sorted - one device is 'usefull' HDFury2 and the other virtually 'useless'HDFury4

Joe
Brudda you sure got that right!!! lolol Actually i'm thinking about buying the Fury3(from Taiwan) to add to my collection of Furys WHOOOOPEEEEE!! G.
post #23 of 29 Old 07-20-2011, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Joe F. If your still around,can you tell me if the Fury2/3 is still available in Scotland,the UK, or anywhere in Europe?? I,m wondering if the Fury2/3 are available anywhere else,or is North America the only place where they can't be sold.?? G.
post #24 of 29 Old 07-20-2011, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Definitely some in Scotland

Not sure for how much longer though!!!

Joe

post #25 of 29 Old 07-20-2011, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Definitely some in Scotland

Not sure for how much longer though!!!

Joe

Man,your lucky! Grab 'em while you can. G.
post #26 of 29 Old 07-20-2011, 08:12 PM

I seem to need a similar solution, I use an infocus 7210 with components and recently upgraded my AVR etc only to run into the 480p limit. What I dont understand is my main source (HD dishnet VIP Ird) will output 1080i to my devices all day long but if I want to route it though the prepro I am hosed.

If anyone knows a source for a HDfury pm please..

Phil
post #27 of 29 Old 07-21-2012, 10:06 AM

HDfury4 will take HDMI in, output in either RGBHV or Component out of the box.
It will also allow to take HDMI in and output in DVI-D (without HDCP) to a DVI-D device/monitor.

If you want to get a DVI-D (without HDCP) to a HDMI capture device, then you also need the Dr.HDMI from HDfury, which is an EDID management tool, you simply load this usefull hardware with a DVI-D EDID file, and then you can trick the HDfury4 into believing it's connected to a DVI-D monitor, and you will get crystal clear DVI-D video out.

Also it can do dual simultaneous output in both analog and digital, so you can watch something and have it recorded at the same time.

The device have much more in it such as double/triple frame, dual projector mode, up to 720p288 and 1080p144 in dual or 720p144 and 1080p72 in single display mode.

HDfury4 just like previous version (HDfury1, HDfury2, HDfury3) is doing his work and its doing it amazingly well.
lanping09 likes this.
post #28 of 29 Old 07-24-2012, 10:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

You realize that you're responding to a post made more than a year ago?

Josh Z

post #29 of 29 Old 10-17-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

You realize that you're responding to a post made more than a year ago?

Yes wink.gif
Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page