Is it worth adding a lumagen? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-07-2011, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need some advice! So is it worth adding a lumagen video processor if I primarily watch blu rays? I currently have a JVC RS35, a 16 x 9 screen, but no anamorphic lens, and no 3D... Regular tv is at 1080i, so that would immediately benefit some by upscaling it to 1080p... I might go to CIH with a lens etc., but thats down the road. Would I see any immediate gains picture-wise?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2011, 04:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by schlitzie View Post

I need some advice! So is it worth adding a lumagen video processor if I primarily watch blu rays? I currently have a JVC RS35, a 16 x 9 screen, but no anamorphic lens, and no 3D... Regular tv is at 1080i, so that would immediately benefit some by upscaling it to 1080p... I might go to CIH with a lens etc., but thats down the road. Would I see any immediate gains picture-wise?

Your projector is natively 1080p, so any signal you feed into it (like cable TV at 1080i) will automatically be scaled to the native resolution. The RS35 should do a pretty good job of this.

For the requirements you've listed, I don't think you'd gain much from adding a video processor. The Lumagen models have a full Color Management System which could aid in calibration, but you'd need to bring in a professional calibrator to get the most out of this, and the improvement would likely be subtle.

The Lumagens include a host of advanced features that are helpful for CIH, 3D, etc. If you're not going to take advantage of those, you probably don't need an expensive VP right now.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I probably wouldnt buy one for the RS35 but i would get it for the RS40. At this point, we are recommending the RS40 with the Lumagen instead of the RS50