Suggestions for cheap(est) 4x1 HDMI switcher? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-08-2011, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking for a generic HDMI switching unit that also does video processing/upscaling so that there's no lag when switching. I just need it to give a constant signal to a monitor/projector. Bonus points if it also takes 1 or 2 VGA inputs/3.5mm audio as well

I don't have a lot of knowledge in the area, so I'm just looking for some direction. As of now, I've found the DVDO iScan Duo and the Denon DVP-602CI, with the DVDO being the preferred option because of its input and output options

So guys, am I in the right area at all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-08-2011, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGOvoruhk View Post

I'm looking for a generic HDMI switching unit that also does video processing/upscaling so that there's no lag when switching. I just need it to give a constant signal to a monitor/projector. Bonus points if it also takes 1 or 2 VGA inputs/3.5mm audio as well

I don't have a lot of knowledge in the area, so I'm just looking for some direction. As of now, I've found the DVDO iScan Duo and the Denon DVP-602CI, with the DVDO being the preferred option because of its input and output options

So guys, am I in the right area at all?

Your post is misleading:

Your thread title asks about switches (=< $50), but it seems that your really want a scaler or video processor (>= $500).

For the former, see the offerings at Monoprice.com; for the latter, start at DVDO.com. (The Denon is discontinued.) As for "cheapest": the Edge Green costs half as much as the Duo.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-11-2011, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry. I want a video processor that switches as well. I just put switcher in the title since I was posting in the video processor forum

So is the DVDO pretty much it without multiplying it's price tag and getting something super high end? I just want to make sure it meets my demands. Does it process all active (plugged in) inputs so that when you switch, it's near instantaneous?
post #4 of 7 Old 07-21-2011, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

So I picked up the DVD iScan Duo, but there's still a lag when switching devices

I've got a Macbook hooked up to HDMI 1, a camera hooked up to HDMI 2, and an iPad 2 hooked up to HDMI 3 and there's a few seconds of delay everytime I switch the inputs

Is that always the case, or is there some sort of setting in the iScan Duo to defeat the lag? Because it's almost as bad as just using a switcher and letting the HDTV process everything
post #5 of 7 Old 07-22-2011, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGOvoruhk View Post

So I picked up the DVD iScan Duo, but there's still a lag when switching devices

I've got a Macbook hooked up to HDMI 1, a camera hooked up to HDMI 2, and an iPad 2 hooked up to HDMI 3 and there's a few seconds of delay everytime I switch the inputs

Is that always the case, or is there some sort of setting in the iScan Duo to defeat the lag? Because it's almost as bad as just using a switcher and letting the HDTV process everything

If you're using the automatic switching feature, there must be some lag.
I just let my universal remote (Harmony) control the input switching, along with everything else: no lag.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-25-2011, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsarver View Post

If you're using the automatic switching feature, there must be some lag.
I just let my universal remote (Harmony) control the input switching, along with everything else: no lag.

I'm just using the remote control that came with it, and pressing the 1, 2, and 3 HDMI buttons to switch. Is there a better, more proper way?

Question about when you switch sources on your unit: Is it literally instantaneous, or is there a split second lag? Also, if possible, can you record a video of the switching? I tried to find a demo on YouTube of it working, but sadly could not.

I'd like to know if this is how it's supposed to act, if I set it up wrong, or if I got a bad unit. Because I hooked it up to another monitor (An LCD Vizio), and there's still some switch delay. Sometimes it looks like it even blanks out the signal, because the screen will go all blue for a split second. Similar to the monitor's "No Signal" screen, just without the verbage
post #7 of 7 Old 07-25-2011, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
everytime time you switch inputs you need to wait for the duo to resync. Mine takes 2-3 secs before picture and sometimes longer . If you want no delay you need to use component video as with hdmi there is always a resync everytime. I personally could care less.
Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page