Ringing....Do you use a DVDO Duo for deinterlacing and CMS but let display scale? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-10-2011, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I always read that the DVDO products produce some ringing in their output when they do scaling.

Does anybody use their Duo for the deinterlacing and CMS features but let their display do the scaling? Is that working better to reduce ringing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-10-2011, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc View Post

I always read that the DVDO products produce some ringing in their output when they do scaling.

I don't know where you read this, but I've never experienced this with my DUO.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-11-2011, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
cpc
AVS Club Gold

I have read about it here and there. It's mainly a feature of the Lumagen processors that they have "No-Ring" scaling and it's even trade-marked. Apparently the scaling done by the VRS chip can and does cause ringing in some material. Not sure which. The de-interlacing of the VRS is very good though, so I wondered if anybody out there is aware of the ringing and sees it in their display, and therefore uses the de-interlacing of their DVDO but let's their display scale. It would be nice to try a Lumagen to see how well it scales, but the XS is over twice the cost of the Duo. I am probably going to trade my VP50 for a Duo, but I will miss the SDI input. Perhaps if I get my display set up soon I will try my VP50 and look for ringing myself. Just getting ready to purchase a 55" or 60" ST or GT30 Panasonic plasma.
post #4 of 6 Old 09-11-2011, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I've had a DVDO Edge and now a Lumagen Mini3D. I have to say that IMHO the upscaling is better with the M3D than my Edge, which IIRC is the same upscaling as the Duo. There was some ringing on SD stuff with the Edge, but the trouble is that you're never really sure if it's EE in the source I suppose, so you need to take that into account. The other thing is screen size/viewing distance as I'm 112" wide (2.35:1) at 11-12' viewing distance. When viewing content on my TV from the same distance, it really didn't matter as 40" from 11-12' make it hard to really tell.

The other issue is that with the Edge it would be complicated to get say a 480p output for SD sources and a 1080p for HD ones, without going into the menus and changing it each time so that your display can upscae or not accordingly. With the Lumagen, you have so many memories available (and input resolution dependant memories too) that it's so easy to set up exactly where the upscaling and deinterlacing occurs. Ironically, this flexibility is moot as I've found it best to feed the M3D with 'source direct' and let the M3D do the deinterlacing and upscaling as required.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #5 of 6 Old 09-12-2011, 05:35 PM

The ringing is painfully clear in 240p source material, such as the SNES.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-12-2011, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I find that most of the people who find the ringing objectionable are retro-gamers. On video, many people don't even see it.

I'm fairly certain the EDGE will add ringing, even if it doesn't scale the image.
Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page