PS3 -> HDFury -> VGA to HDMI -> Blackmagic Intensity - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-15-2011, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello people, I'm trying to record my PS3 with the BlackMagic Intensity Pro capture card by first stripping off the hdcp with an hdfury, then converting the hdfury vga output back to hdmi with a vga to hdmi box. Connecting the final hdmi without hdcp output to my hd tv displays fine and says 1920x1080 @ 60 hz, but connecting it to my blackmagic intensity pro doesn't show anything and I tried both 1080i 59.94 and 1080i 60. I'm 100% sure my blackmagic intensity works because I tried recording xbox 360 footage (which doesnt need an hdcp stripper) and it works fine. Any solution?

PS3 HDMI out -> HDFury -> VGA to HDMI box -> Blackmagic Intensity

Note: I want to record from the HDMI output because ps3 is particularly bad on component.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-15-2011, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
I want to record from the HDMI output because ps3 is particularly bad on component.
I doubt that the quality of the component output is any worse than the double conversion you're doing right now. The culprit in your setup is the VGA to HDMI box which likely just is a simple A/D converter box and doesn't output the proper HD timings. You could get a HDFury 2 (or 3) instead. They both convert from HDMI directly to Component. Quality is ace.

Or you could get a better VGA to HDMI converter, e.g. some older DVDO processor (maybe a VP30) which completely rebuilds the HDMI signal and has custom timings.

PS: I assume you have correctly set your PS3 to 1080i output only...
post #3 of 4 Old 09-15-2011, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The double conversion didn't seem to worsen quality as much as component does :/ hmm I see... damn so basically wasted money trying to save it by buying the hdfury 1. I'll try to find an used hdfury 2 :/

EDIT: What if i converted vga to component and recorded the signal through the component in of my blackmagic pro? (The picture quality problem over component only happens when the ps3 is outputting component directly, so converting to component shouldnt be as bad)
post #4 of 4 Old 09-15-2011, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Likely the same problem as before. VESA PC timings via VGA are different from HD timings via component or HDMI. Also good VGA to component transcoding isn't exactly cheap, so it's really the easiest way to find a buyer for your Fury1 and get a Fury2 instead. I used the Fury2 with a PS3 and a BMD Multibridge before.
Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page