Which power adapter do I need? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-28-2011, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi. all. I used to be a member here a few years back. Don't recall what username I used tho. But anyway, who here is an expert on power adapters? The reason I ask, I just picked up a Black Box AC215A on Ebay a few minutes ago. I found it at the end of the auction. No one was bidding on it it, and the starting price was about 15 bucks. So what the heck I thought, so I bid on it and got it for 15 bucks. The seller has no clue whether this thing even works, since it doesn't come with the power adapter. Thus the reason for this thread.

According to the manual I found online....

Connect the provided AC power cord to the power supply and connect the power cord to an AC outlet. The power supply is auto-sensing, so it will automatically adapt to your voltage anywhere in the world. Connect the DC power plug from the power supply to the connector marked POWER on the rear panel of the Advanced Video Scaler.

Power 95-250 VAC, 47-Hz, autosensing external power supply

So where do I find an adapter like this? Would RadioShack have something like this, or is this something I will have to order online? I have an old Iscan V2 I haven't used in ages...and I was looking at the power adapter that comes with it. It's rated at...(Switching power Supply..Input:100-240v--0.4A 47-63Hz...Output:+6V----2.0A...Level 3). Would this work with the Black Box AC215A?

I probably won't get the Black Box AC215A until the middle of next week or later, so trying to find an adapter in the meantime, in case I have to order one. Sorry this post came out as one paragraph. It's supposed to be several paragraphs to make easier to read. I haven't figured out how to do this automatically. I tried all 3 options in CP(Message Editor Interface), and it still came out as one paragraph, at least in the preview..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-29-2011, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The specs you listed just describe the AC input of the PSU. You have to find out the DC rating of the actual processor. I couldn't find a manual online, but my guess would be that you can find that info on the scaler itself. After that it's easy to get a $10 replacement. My guess for something like this would be 9-12V, but wait until you get the VP.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-29-2011, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudoh View Post

The specs you listed just describe the AC input of the PSU. You have to find out the DC rating of the actual processor. I couldn't find a manual online, but my guess would be that you can find that info on the scaler itself. After that it's easy to get a $10 replacement. My guess for something like this would be 9-12V, but wait until you get the VP.

Thanks for the input. Hopefully that info is on the bottom of the scaler, because it's not on the front nor back according to the clear pics from the auction. Here's a link to the manual, don't know if it tells you anymore than what I've provided tho. http://ftp.blackbox.com/manuals/A/AC215A.pdf

On a side note, I had never heard of this scaler until yesterday. But since I have a cpl of projectors, one of them being an old school NEC LT260, I figured it could benefit from the use of an external scaler. And I guess the fact that this was being offered for 15 bucks starting out, that probably played a factor as well.
post #4 of 9 Old 09-29-2011, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

The manual doesn't say anything... but since the company seems to be still around, why not just email them about the proper specs.

Well, sure, a video processor is nice, but a 13 year old device with just composite and s-video inputs is far from optimal. Even if you're on a budget, you can find quality line doublers (e.g. with a Faroudja processor) and component inputs for usually less than $100.

Your NEC LT260 is brandnew compared to this early Black Box scaler and I would doubt that the NEC's internal processing is worse than the Black Box's.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-29-2011, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The manual doesn't say anything... but since the company seems to be still around, why not just email them about the proper specs.

Well, sure, a video processor is nice, but a 13 year old device with just composite and s-video inputs is far from optimal. Even if you're on a budget, you can find quality line doublers (e.g. with a Faroudja processor) and component inputs for usually less than $100.

Your NEC LT260 is brandnew compared to this early Black Box scaler and I would doubt that the NEC's internal processing is worse than the Black Box's.

I had no idea that scaler was that ancient, lol. Well at least I'm not out much money I guess.
You mentioned Faroudjas for less than 100 bucks. Which models might you be referring to, and where could one find one of these for around that price? Never noticed anything on Ebay for that price or less, except for a cpl of Faroudja LD100s, which BTW, I already have 2. These are pretty ancient as well, perhaps even more ancient than the Block Box scaler.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-29-2011, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

I have picked up several Videon Omega One/HDP or Vigatec FX2(+) units at this price tag (both based on the Faroudja FLI-2200). Takes some patience and setting up an automated search on ebay, but they do show up.

In the same price range you can sometimes find Cinemateq processors (a german company). Earlier DVDO units (iScan HD) are just a few dollars more as well...
post #7 of 9 Old 09-30-2011, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

but since the company seems to be still around, why not just email them about the proper specs.

As per your suggestion, I did just that. This is the reply I got in my email this morning from Black Box.

"The specs for the power supply.

Input: 95 - 250VAC 47-63Hz

Output: 5VDC 1A"

Since I'm still clueless about power adapters in general, is this something that I could find at RadioShack, or will I have to find one online?
post #8 of 9 Old 09-30-2011, 12:42 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallpaint View Post

Output: 5VDC 1A"

Since I'm still clueless about power adapters in general, is this something that I could find at RadioShack, or will I have to find one online?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
post #9 of 9 Old 09-30-2011, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

You also need a matching connector on the PSU for the Black Box, so I would suggest taking the unit along to the next Radioshack (or whatever is close to you). They'll have a proper PSU for sure.
Reply Video Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page