Pan Jutter? LCos 120HZ - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-30-2011, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi All,

I come from the world of CRT and have enjoyed that picture for many years. But when it comes to LCos am I being to picky or is it that a video processor will help fix this issue I'm seeing? Take a seen from the movie RED in the beginning of the movie. It's an outdoor seen Bruce Willis takes out the trash and says good morning to the lady next door. They zoom in on Bruces face then start to pan away and looking over the neighborhood. Now if I leave all processing off on the projector it jutters like crazy. Kick on the real film feature and it does it say half as much. Turn that off and kick on the 120Hz Real Motion feature and it pans very smooth yet you get that video soap opera feel in the picture. So the question being is something that can be fixed with a video processor? If so please let me know which ones to look at.
Thank you for your time,
Chris

Equipment being used:

XBMC Live PC Acer Revo or Boxee Box Even BluRay player once in awhile. Mainly the first two. All using HDMI into the receiver. All at 1080P/24
Denon AVR-4311ci (Has some video processing but not for fixing this that I have found.)
LG Lcos 120Hz Projector

Chris

"The Boy has no patients" Yoda
"He will learn patience. Was I any different when you taught me?" Obi-Wan

Work is what we do to pay for our HT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-30-2011, 10:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Are you watching a DVD or Blu-ray? If a Blu-ray, is your player set for 24 fps output mode?

The 24 fps capture rate that movies are shot at is fairly slow and inherently has some degree of motion stutter. This will be exaggerated by the effects of 3:2 Pulldown when you play back the content at a 60 Hz refresh rate. Watching at 24 fps will at least bring you back to what was originally photographed.

There is no difference in this respect between LCoS or CRT.

Frame interpolation features ("Real Motion," "SmoothMotion," "Motionflow," whatever) are all artificial and will give you the soap opera look.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #3 of 8 Old 09-30-2011, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick answer. I'm playing from 1 of 3 sources all at 1080p/24 which would be at the 24Hz you mentioned. I'm just looking to see if anyone is making a processor that might fix this in the video stream before going into the projector instead of using the processing in the projector. (120Hz)

Chris

post #4 of 8 Old 09-30-2011, 01:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Young View Post

I'm just looking to see if anyone is making a processor that might fix this in the video stream before going into the projector instead of using the processing in the projector. (120Hz)

The only way to "fix" 24 fps motion stutter is to add frame interpolation, which will give you the soap opera look.

Even if you could do frame interpolation in a video processor rather than in the projector, your projector is not designed to accept a 120 Hz or 240 Hz input signal.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #5 of 8 Old 10-01-2011, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the good info. I'm now reading over on this projectors thead and I'm finding out it seems to be a comon problem with this projector. Most folks are sending theirs back to LG for a fix and update. They are also reporting that it has been repaired. Looks like this week I'll be doing the same after talking with LG for an RMA.

Thanks again...

Chris

post #6 of 8 Old 10-01-2011, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Go watch "Red" in the Theater with real film and it looks even worse. 24fps film judder. You can't fix it and its not a problem. That's the way its supposed to look. It cracks me up that people want smoother pans yet complain about it when they get it as looking like video or a soap opera. Damned if you do damned if you don't.

When movies start to be filmed with higher frame rates it will be eliminated to a greater degree. Until then we have to deal with it.
post #7 of 8 Old 10-01-2011, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronomy View Post

Go watch "Red" in the Theater with real film and it looks even worse. 24fps film judder. You can't fix it and its not a problem. That's the way its supposed to look. It cracks me up that people want smoother pans yet complain about it when they get it as looking like video or a soap opera. Damned if you do damned if you don't.

When movies start to be filmed with higher frame rates it will be eliminated to a greater degree. Until then we have to deal with it.

Hi Ronomy,

I do have to agree with you on film in the theater doing that. The thing is it's not always the same from film to film or scene to scene. Heck even in this same movie it different. It's some thing at this time we have to live with unless we turn on the Motion jutter feature to change it. Just my .02

Chris

post #8 of 8 Old 10-02-2011, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
That scene in the movie RED is probably the worse 24p judder pan I have ever seen. Its a good one to test the the processing in displays.
Reply Video Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page