Older used Lumagen Radiance XD or new DVDO Edge at similar prices?? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 35 Old 02-04-2012, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post

Based on my experience I would assume its much better then abt (edge) i was not a big fan of that processing.

Isn't the crystalio II the same genum vxp chip as the radiance?

I would assume it would be very similar, both companies are likely to implement the chip well.

i am pretty sure the C11 uses the older inferior VXP chip and not the 9450 in the Radiance units. I have customers who have upgraded from Edge's and VP50Pro's and C11's to Radiance if that is any help to poster.

Convergent-AV
ISF, Home Theater Consultants and Distribution, U.K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 Old 02-04-2012, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I can say with certainty lumagen is much more highly regarded in the vp community then optoma. I did not even know optoma made a vp.

Also what exactly was different, placebo and subjective impressions play a huge factor in judging scaling.

Lumagen is one of the best companies. I think they even use there own scaling alogorithim which is regarded as the best, along with the newest genum vxp.

Actually doing a search of optoma hd3000 on here fudoh had a post preferring the edge to it and people also claimed the hd 3000 is incredibly buggy. Ask any lumagen radiance owner who owned an edge as well you will be hard pressed to find one who preferred the edge.

You also may want to start a new topic about radiance vs crystallio as well might get more attention.
post #33 of 35 Old 02-04-2012, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Fraser View Post

i am pretty sure the C11 uses the older inferior VXP chip and not the 9450 in the Radiance units. I have customers who have upgraded from Edge's and VP50Pro's and C11's to Radiance if that is any help to poster.

There we go!

Thanks for clarifying gordon.
post #34 of 35 Old 02-04-2012, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just bought another crystalio from Italy, had to go with what I have had luck with.

The Optima.. well the issue was the black settings, I cannot remember which was which after all the tweeking, but one was 0 the other 7.5.. you set one of them and the picture was very washed out, like a tv that was on for years and was dying.. the other setting had the black correct, but it made everything else look poor.

Someday I will try the xs, but since I was extremly happy with the Crystalio, I just went back to that... people can say what they like about it, it was recommended in another post, actually about laserdisc... it did a fantastic job on LD AND Blu looked incredible.. rich colors, amazing detail, and pixar stuff looked like you could reach in and grab things out of the set..

S
post #35 of 35 Old 04-10-2012, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by balboarules View Post

How is this processor with Laserdisc? I tried the HDQ but found it horrible, the checkerboarding with fast motion was just so bad.. I tried everything to get rid of it, but no luck, so sold it off.

I know it does not have the 3D comb filter, and from what I have read that caused that checkerboard patter to show up using the HDQ...

I don't see why the HDQ should suck with LD. My Anthem's VXP does OK. But I am confused as to why the Radiance would have an inferior comb filter. Anyone shed some light on this matter?

I have a chance to buy HDQ for very cheap but there are also good deals on the Radiance XD right now

One thing I must have is custom resolution support, eg: 1440x810p72 or 1080i96 etc. I don't want to mess around with service menus or hack the hardware. The HDQ instructions have more detail than the XE/XD manual (online pdf)... is it just like that?

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page