VP30 "Load .abt file now .. " message on first powering up - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-30-2011, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've gone crosseyed Googling for answers to this and suspect it might be a power supply problem but am not sure. I took the power supply apart and can see nothing wrong with the caps. Replacing them looks a nightmare anyway with lots of gobs of white glue everywhere. But it might not be the PS.

I did get as copy of 1.14 firmware and connected to the VP30 from the laptop using the tera_term program via a U232-P9 USB converter. It took awhile to go in and everything then seemed ok. Switch off and on again -> no problem.

But after a complete power down (not just at the front of the VP30) two hours later the old message appeared once again.

Now this fault first occurred out of the blue on first power on so either the PS will not offer enough juice to kick start the processor or there is a memory problem (something BTW I can relate to these days).

All suggestions gratefully received

John

A hi-fi & video nut for 50+ years!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-30-2011, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 27
It's a known problem with the USB converter.

Find a physical RS232 port, either on a older PC or notebook. Some current mainboards offer a RS232 header internally, so you just need a breakout cable.

Once you have found one, you just start Teraterm and it will resume the update on the VP30.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-30-2011, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudoh View Post

It's a known problem with the USB converter.

Find a physical RS232 port, either on a older PC or notebook. Some current mainboards offer a RS232 header internally, so you just need a breakout cable.

Once you have found one, you just start Teraterm and it will resume the update on the VP30.

Thanks for that.

But why did it flip to give that message in the first place? It was operating fine, then had a fit on powering on, refused to operate and displayed that message. Nothing odd was done to it previously.

John

post #4 of 6 Old 10-30-2011, 07:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 27
can't say for sure, but a complete power cycle is recommended after any update.
If the VP30 prompts for another upload after booting up, it's safe to say that something with the initial upload went wrong (checksum for example).
post #5 of 6 Old 10-31-2011, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Ken kindly gave me the answer. His message:

To check if the VP30 has the current firmware, press the “Info” button on the remote control. The info screen will show what firmware version is currently loaded. It should be v1.14.
Try resetting the unit:

1. Disconnect the power from the back of unit.
2. Press and hold “menu” and “exit” buttons on the front panel while reconnecting power.
3. Continue to hold buttons for 3 seconds then release.

The unit will reset to factory default.

So yes, that all worked fine with the correct firmware installed.

John

post #6 of 6 Old 11-12-2016, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi all,

Bought a used VP30 recently and tried to update the firmware from v1.06 to v1.14 via a straight serial cable but something went wrong. Keep in mind I do not have a remote control. I set everything up correctly in Tera Term Pro and on the VP30 and sent the firmware file over to the VP30 and all was working fine until a few minutes later an error appeared on the VP30 stating to press any button. Pressing any button rebooted the VP30 but now it goes straight to a message stating “Load .abt file now..”. I assume my firmware has been totally wiped but I cannot put new or a replacement firmware on the VP30 because Tera Term Pro no longer wants to connect to the machine. Going through the connection steps again I can no longer get to the ABT Bootloader screen as seen on Page 7:
http://www.retrorgb.com/files/DVDO/Updating_the_VP30_software.pdf

Unplugging the power adapter from the VP30 as well as hard rebooting the machine still leads back to “Load .abt file now..”. Any advice or assistance would be appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT
Some additional info/theories:

-It's possible that Tera Term Pro somehow switched languages from English to Japanese on me. I'm mentioning this because it was English the first time I attempted the firmware update but subsequent times the ABT Bootloader screen has shown gobbledygook since the laptop with a serial port I'm borrowing is running TinyXP without any language packs. If I knew how to change or make sure the language is in English in Tera Term Pro I could give it a shot and rule this out as the problem.
[edit - The language was changed in locale from "american" to "japanese"]

-I know I set the Baud Rate to 57600 for Tera Term Pro but now I'm wondering if I did the same for the VP30. I honestly do not remember if I did or not but now, obviously, I can no longer do so with my situation. Is there a default Baud Rate the VP30 would have been set to in v1.06?

-I'm pretty sure my serial cable is fine but just in case I did order this one from Amazon for a couple bucks just to be sure:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

EDIT 2
Got it working now.

For anyone in the future with a similar issue to mine, here is what worked for me:

-Windows 7 64-bit Pro
-Serial port
-StarTech 2m Black Straight Through Serial Cable
-Tera Term Pro v4.92
-Baud Rate in Tera Term Pro set to 57600

Last edited by gar3; 11-21-2016 at 07:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors