Need a video/cap card with 3d y/c for capturing composite - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-11-2011, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Please if anyone can suggest an economical pc video or dedicated capture card along these lines I would really appreciate it (I have read page after page after page - I don't need to hear 'you need to learn about quadlithium crystal technology before we will waste any time on you' please. if you don't know, that's fine - hopefully someone will come along who does and then we will learn together.

I am trying to capture and preserve vhs and LD video of content not available on dvd, etc. Old audience rock concert footage (vhs) and sci-fi b-movies (LD.) I understand that there are 'tv' type cards that have very good 3d comb filtering, from what I have read anyway, such as the ATI theater hd 750. What I am unsure of is whether or not I can input a LD/vhs video composite signal for HQ y/c separation before capturing with virtualdub, for example. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2011, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
You should be able to use any those cards, e.g. an ATI Theater. A great card for capturing composite is Immersive's Holo3DGraph, which is rather hard to find, but not this expensive ($100 for a Holo1). It's got a very good comb filter on board.

Remember though that the material you capture is interlaced in nature. On the Holo you can choose between capturing raw interlaced or a deinterlaced stream already.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudoh View Post

You should be able to use any those cards, e.g. an ATI Theater. A great card for capturing composite is Immersive's Holo3DGraph, which is rather hard to find, but not this expensive ($100 for a Holo1). It's got a very good comb filter on board.

Remember though that the material you capture is interlaced in nature. On the Holo you can choose between capturing raw interlaced or a deinterlaced stream already.

thanks. that Holo card looks good but as you say a bit hard to track one down. I believe I'll try one of the PCIe theater 750's and see how it does. I read some reviews of folks saying that the 3d comb filter didn't work on the usb model so people might want to watch out on that. Others said it worked great on the PCIe card model. I'm all about cards myself - I get suspicious looking at a flimsy usb cable hanging off of "high-powered" hw.

I don't mind doing ivtc -> 23.976p in vdub, mostly I'm trying to get a good y/c separation (& hopefully without a lot of noise like my other ancient devices.) I have been using my rca drc8335 for pretty outstanding y/c sep with pass-through, but then my cap devices introduce horrible 'bands' of noise, one having lots of narrow vertical bands and the other fewer, wider vertical bands.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

well it figures that after I order this thing, I read all about the AGC curse. I have read that it may actually be over-sensitive macro protection which picks up benign transitions, etc. one guy said that capturing composite from home movie vhs footage gave him nothing but trouble until he added a stabilizer cropping off a bit and then it was all good, even though the tape had no macro. I guess we will see what happens...
Old 11-24-2011, 05:28 AM

PDI deluxe or sweetspot capture card, both share the same chip and work with the legendary dscaler....I have lots of videoprocessors, but the combination of PDI/Sweetspot and Dscaler can do things, no vp can do.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by noos@xp37 View Post

PDI deluxe or sweetspot capture card, both share the same chip and work with the legendary dscaler....I have lots of videoprocessors, but the combination of PDI/Sweetspot and Dscaler can do things, no vp can do.

I'm using the same card, just awesome

Michael
Old 11-26-2011, 12:57 AM

+1? Was I rated? Ohh I am excited....
Please give me some insides on your cyptic message, Michael.

Regards

Marc