Upgraded Receiver, continue to use DVDO edge or remove it? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-04-2011, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently upgraded my TV (to a Samsung PN64D7000) and my receiver (to a Denon AVR-1912).

In my old setup I also had a DVDO edge (not the new green one, the old one - i can't find it on their site but here is amazon's site for it)

For starter setup i just replaced the TV and the receiver and connected everything as it was, however the Denon really seems to want to be the device passing through the video, should i have the devices pass video through the DVDO edge and DVDO edge to the receiver and receiver to TV or does that kind of defeat the purpose?

I no longer view non high def signals anyway - so i don't know if DVDO edge is worth it even any more, maybe it's worthwhile to eliminate it from my system?

The devices i have hooked up are a PS3, 360, and a computer - all via HDMI only.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

Also, since DVDO edge uses HDMI 1.3 if I want to display 3D content I have to forego the DVDO edge too, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-05-2011, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 62
At this point it's probably a matter of preference. I have a similar setup but continue to use the Edge because I prefer the finer controls of the Edge compared to my receiver. YMMV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korgun View Post

Also, since DVDO edge uses HDMI 1.3 if I want to display 3D content I have to forego the DVDO edge too, right?

Nope. With the latest firmware the EDGE uses a pass-through mode for 3D (no processing) that allows you to view 3D content just fine.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-05-2011, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 48
If you're not upscaling anything (or deinterlacing come to that) then maybe you're not really getting much out of the Edge anyway. If you're happy that this is the case then you may as well get a few $s for the Edge, especially as in 3D all it's doing is passing through which is likely all you amp will do either, so no worse off picture quality wise, but better off financially.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #4 of 5 Old 12-06-2011, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too - I removed it last night and was able to set up the receiver... i'll keep it around for a short while see if anyone else has another suggestion. Thanks.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-06-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korgun View Post

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too - I removed it last night and was able to set up the receiver... i'll keep it around for a short while see if anyone else has another suggestion. Thanks.

You also need a CMS device as the Edge has none.
Reply Video Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page