Best VP for SD internet streaming & fta viewing. Needs to be < $900. Massive newb. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-10-2012, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

I'll soon be replacing my sony wega 32" crt with a samsung PS51D8000fv.
90% of what i watch is SD cable tv and shows that i download/stream off the net. I want to get the best quality SD picture out of my new plasma (but within my $900 budget), and was told that i should be looking at getting a good quality SD video processor.
My knowledge of a/v's borders on vague-to-none, and need advice - what should i be looking at?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-10-2012, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter

Will any of these serve my purpose: http://www.harveynorman.com.au/tv-au...e/av-receivers

My mate works there^ so i can one for cost price, but after doing some research it would appear as though neither of those a/v's are geared for quality video processing?

Silly question, are there any PVR's that also do good quality SD video processing?
post #3 of 7 Old 01-11-2012, 08:23 PM
EJ
AVS Special Member

I am, by no means nearly as experienced as many who frequent this forum, however, I'll throw my 2 cents in anyway.

If cost is a concern, receivers contain video processors that seem to get better every day.

For instance, I have a nice, but fairly inexpensive projector. I'm not going to pay more for my processor than the projector itself. I found a great Onkyo receiver with a Qdeo processor.

Keep in mind that even though a receiver may have a similar chip (or the exact chip that a much more expensive dedicated processor has), often many of the controllable aspects of the chip may likely be disabled in the receiver.

In my case, I figure for $280, I got an Onkyo HT-RC360 receiver that does some impressive processing, it scales analog and digital signals to 1080p, the projector's native resolution, and is a networked DLNA beauty of a receiver for my small HT. Isn't technology grand!

This may not be the direction you want to go, but keep us informed!

Former USSB uplink operator.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-18-2012, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Frock View Post

90% of what i watch is SD cable tv and shows that i download/stream off the net. I want to get the best quality SD picture out of my new plasma (but within my $900 budget), and was told that i should be looking at getting a good quality SD video processor.

Will you want to watch the material live or played back from a file?

If from a file, the Oppo 93 3D Bluray player has an inbuilt Qdeo VP that is very good, so not only do you get good SD scaling, but you can also watch DVD and 3D Bluray in very good quality for about $600. This player is relatively easy to mod for region switching capability at extra cost.

The previous model Oppo 83 Bluray player might also work, if you can find one, but it doesn't handle 3D. It does include a good VP, although different from the 93 model.

If watching live, it may be possible to stream from a suitable device to the Oppo, but probably a standalone VP might be more flexible and could be used with existing equipment for other scaling applications.

As far as standalone VP, the DVDO Edge produces quite a reasonable result, but they are a little difficult to obtain in Australia. The previous VP30+ABT102 is still very good for SD upscaling and there is a used one for sale on the Aussie DTV Forum for $500. All other VPs are above $1000. I use a DVDO Edge for SDTV but that was $800 in the day.

The MagicTV 4000 PVR has reasonable SD upscaling built-in, but it isn't quite as good as the DVDO Edge IMO, although still better than many PVR.

As others have mentioned, AVR don't necessarily implement all the features of a VP chip and when you consider a dedicated VP is upwards of $600, even a $900 AVR is not going to give you the same benefits as that VP, even if it does have the same chip included, however it may be good enough for most purposes.

Unfortunately it is going to be very difficult for you to compare options.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-18-2012, 11:10 PM
EJ
AVS Special Member

My $300 Onkyo uses Qdeo like the Oppo. Does anyone know if there is a list of what is disabled in the Onkyo?

post #6 of 7 Old 01-19-2012, 03:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post

My $300 Onkyo uses Qdeo like the Oppo. Does anyone know if there is a list of what is disabled in the Onkyo?

In my own experience with a DVDO Edge and Denon 890 (both using the ABT2010 VP), the Denon used a different chip for analogue input which applied its own fixed noise filtering (way too much) before the signal was passed to the ABT2010 for de-interlacing and scaling. Whilst the de-interlacing and scaling was fine, the result was too soft because of the implementation. I can't say whether this limitation also applied to digital video inputs.

So it really depends on the specific AVR implementation what facilities on the VP chip will be used and what other chips may affect the result.

The best thing is to view the discussion thread related to each specific AVR to gauge how well it has been implemented.

It's not a foregone conclusion that an AVR with a Qdeo will be crippled in any way for de-interlacing and scaling, but you may not get access to a wide range of the Qdeo additional feature settings.

Even this is not necessarily a bad thing: for example, the Oppo 93 uses a Qdeo and it has been tweaked by the manufacturer to provide the best basic output. Whilst there are a number of advanced features offered to the customer to tweak further, I don't think many owners use them as the picture is already good enough (apart from maybe filtering really low bitrate sources).

Therefore, even if an AVR implements only the basic Qdeo functions, this may be perfectly adequate for SD upscaling from good quality sources. It's too hard to tell without seeing equipment in operation.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-19-2012, 03:56 AM
EJ
AVS Special Member

Great explanation Ian, thanks.

In my setup this weekend, it will be interesting because I'll run video through the Qdeo, scaling to 1080p. This will then be sent to an Epson 6500ub projector, which uses Reon HQV processing.

Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page