Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 36 Old 01-19-2012, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by naiaru View Post

You should use a copy of A Video Standard or Video Essentials to accurately judge comb filter performance.

Also, if you're really going to do DVNR, you should get a Algolith Mosquito.

You should do whatever makes you happiest, but I can speak from experience that using either a DVDO or a LD player for comb filtering is a bad idea. I personally don't have a comb filter in my house worse than the one in my CLD-D703 (which outperforms the DVL-90). The Pioneer LX-70 is rather hard to find in America. I'd recommend either the RCA DRC8335 (I'm using one, it blows both my TV and all my LD players out of the water and I only payed sixty bucks for it) or the Panasonic DMR-ES15, but I'm sure there are plenty of others that will perform just as well.

Thanks for the advice naiaru. Yea, I'm pretty happy with the results I'm getting with my current set-up. That Algolith Mosquito looks very nice but I just checked E-bay and these are getting $400.00 and I'm not sure I want to spend that much on a device for noise reduction no matter how well it does the job. The RCA DRC8335 is something I might get since these can be had for about $75.00 bucks. They can also serve as a DVD recorder in addition to a comb filter so that is good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 01-19-2012, 07:27 PM

I must have gotten a bad one of these RCA units.. I have tried it several ways and get a horrible picture out of it.. are there any adjustments inside of the unit?
post #33 of 36 Old 01-19-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balboarules View Post

I must have gotten a bad one of these RCA units.. I have tried it several ways and get a horrible picture out of it.. are there any adjustments inside of the unit?

The RCA DRC8335 changes pictures settings so you'll have to recalibrate. Also, the unit has a poor de-interlacer, so make sure it's 480i in and 480i out.
post #34 of 36 Old 01-19-2012, 08:38 PM

But the picture settings will not do anything for the amount of noise I see.. I run the Austin powers opening as my test for everything. That scene where he jumps into the air with the red polkadot shirt on.. composite straight to the tv is pretty much solid as can be.. but through that RCA player, flicker and noise like no tomorrow.. I have tried with s video and component video out of the RCA and always the same thing.
post #35 of 36 Old 01-19-2012, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balboarules View Post

But the picture settings will not do anything for the amount of noise I see.. I run the Austin powers opening as my test for everything. That scene where he jumps into the air with the red polkadot shirt on.. composite straight to the tv is pretty much solid as can be.. but through that RCA player, flicker and noise like no tomorrow.. I have tried with s video and component video out of the RCA and always the same thing.

Sounds like something is definitely going on. Can you post a picture showing what it looks like?
post #36 of 36 Old 01-20-2012, 04:43 PM

I will try to get that up.. but yeah, it is not good at all
Reply Video Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page