dvdo edge vs duo.. please offer advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-19-2012, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all

Ok, I am looking to get a processor.. mostly for helping out laserdisc, I have tried several, and the crystalio was the best, but that is just out of reach. I have had an edge before and after alot of tweeking, it did make a difference.. so I am trying to decide whether to get another edge or pay more and get the duo. Both from what I can tell have a 3D comb filter, which laserdisc does need from my tests.. I have blu ray, hd dvd, a tivo that only works out of component video, and laserdisc. I know to run LD out of composite.. I guess what I want to know, will I see a big enough difference using the DUO over the Edge. I am willing to pay more for the DUO, I am hoping to find one between 600-800.. So I am looking for input as to which one to get.. OR is there something else in that range I should consider instead? I have seen a nice little improvement on BR and TIVO with the edge.. but I have to figure with the retail price difference on the edge vs the duo, that the duo must do something if not everything better.. I have a Sony 70 inch KDS-R70xbr2 set as my display.

Thanks!
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-19-2012, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 202
The main difference is that the Duo has a full CMS (Color Management System) with 11-point grayscale controls, which both work wonderfully for display calibration if you have a colorimeter or spectroradiometer.

Other than that, the Edge and Duo are pretty much identical. If you aren't interested in the CMS, go for the cheaper Edge. Personally, I bought the Duo, and the CMS has proved to be invaluable.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-19-2012, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 41
i have an edge that i would part with(upgraded to the duo for CMS). shoot me a PM if your interested
post #4 of 5 Old 01-19-2012, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

I do not have a color meter nor the knowledge how to do that.. I just simply used the spears & Munsil disc.. I wish I had that kind of knowledge.. sounds like the Edge is the way to go again.. Sent a PM about the one posted.

Thanks
Steve
post #5 of 5 Old 01-19-2012, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

One other concern I have read about.. the Edge seems to have a failing power supply in a lot of them... does the Duo have this issue.. because I would hate to get something that will die.
Reply Video Processors