DVDO Edge - trouble after 9 months - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-07-2012, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you for letting me join this forum. I need some help figuring out what is going on with my DVDO Edge after 9 months of outstanding performance.

Recently the TV monitor shifts from displaying the TV program to the entire screen flashing Green, then Blue, then Maroon and so on plus the audio program drops out (most of the time) and a high pitched solid audio tone is emitted. I cycle power to the DVDO unit and it operates fine for a while and then it starts again. The period of time it operates fine varies from 30 min to 6 hours. Turning off the Comcast DVR box or the monitor does not improve this - only turning off the DVDO unit resets the problem.

At this point I observe the problem on the HD signal coming from Comcast box and have not tested other inputs to the DVDO. I am running FW 1.50 and purchased the unit May 2011.

Is this a handshake problem or something else? If it is handshake how do I get things back in sync?

Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-07-2012, 09:08 PM

Is the unit in a vented area? Is there anything on top of or below the unit that would send additional heat to the Edge?

Sounds like the powersupply is going on your Edge.. That high pitch sound, does it come from the edge itself?
post #3 of 8 Old 02-09-2012, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply. The Comcast box is on top of it but barely blocking ventilation holes. Neither box gets very warm. The high pitched noise is coming through the speakers, most of the the time. Sometimes, although infrequently, the screen is doing its flashing thing and i can still hear the proper audio channel; most other times the high pitched noise is the only sound from the TV/ speakers. Puzzling huh?
post #4 of 8 Old 02-10-2012, 07:45 AM

Is your equipment plugged into a power center or straight to the wall? I think it could be the power supply in the edge still...but maybe your picking up noise in you set up.. I would not have that cable box on top of the edge.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-18-2012, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

The unit is plugged into a power strip and stays quite cool. I am finding that it seems to, I hesitate to say, only happen when the Comcast box is tuned into a non HD channel. Of course the DVDO upscales it but the preference is a HD source channel. If we continue down this thought process it just seems like something gets out of sync, is there any way to verify syncing wit the Comcast box? Thoughts??
post #6 of 8 Old 02-18-2012, 06:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 100
The Comcast box still releases a lot of heat and without proper ventilation (like a fan) it shouldn't be stacked like that. I remember when our other DVDO processors would have a weird feather effect when over heated. Heat is the number one cause of pre mature death to electronic components.

Build your own Concession Stand Counter for cheap! Search -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #7 of 8 Old 02-18-2012, 07:53 PM

Yes, I would suggest getting that box off the unit.. too much heat is never a good thing.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-24-2012, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

By confirming connections, etc. I think the problem is solved. I understand about heat - the DVDO vents are clear and the Comcast box is a newer one that does not get that warm. The previous Comcast box got very hot and the DVDO worked fine. I leave the cabinet open so there is adequate ventilation.

I take the output from the DVDO into a powered splitter, which after tweaking the connections, seems to have been the problem. Initially it was touchy and one of the two split channels would lose audio, then the other would lose video. Once secured all seems to be fine now.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.
Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page