Inexpensive CMS without scaling? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-21-2012, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I don't know much about external video processors, but I thought this question was worth asking.

Is there such a thing as a universal external CMS without all the other video processing (deinterlacers, scalers, noise reduction, etc.)? All I really want is a color management system. The scaling/deinterlacing on my televisions is fine as is given the type of signals I throw at it, but their color management systems are horrid. I'm looking for a CMS that will allow me to adjust the saturation and luminance of the primaries and secondaries (I can get gamma and grayscale close enough with the televisions' internal controls).

It's not that I am opposed to having an external scaler; it's just that I don't need one and hate to pay for features that I don't need or want.

Another option I'd like to investigate is whether it's possible to buy a used video processor with a CMS and set it up so that all the scaling is bypassed while the CMS is used (just in case the scaling/deinterlacing in an older unit is outdated).

P.S.

Just to be clear, I am not looking for a debate on whether my television's scaling/deinterlacing is good enough. Really I'm just wanting to know if the product I'm looking for exists.

--John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-21-2012, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
You can usually find a used VideoEQ http://avfoundry.com/VideoEq/ for a little less than a new iScan Duo. I personally find the Duo the much better option if we're talking a mere difference of only 100 or 200 dollars.

The typcial VP (either DVDO/ABT or Lumagen) can't be set too passthrough, but I find even several year old VPs still to be way better than the internal VPs of today's TVs or beamers.
post #3 of 3 Old 02-22-2012, 01:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudoh View Post

You can usually find a used VideoEQ http://avfoundry.com/VideoEq/ for a little less than a new iScan Duo. I personally find the Duo the much better option if we're talking a mere difference of only 100 or 200 dollars.

The typcial VP (either DVDO/ABT or Lumagen) can't be set too passthrough, but I find even several year old VPs still to be way better than the internal VPs of today's TVs or beamers.

If you put game mode on, have the scaler output the same res as the incoming signal and set scale to OFF then you essentially bypass everything in a lumagen...but you could still use the CMS etc.....

Convergent-AV
ISF, Home Theater Consultants and Distribution, U.K.
Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page