post #3061 of 8288 Old 09-02-2012, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrich3 View Post

Sorry. I thought the double entendre played out better without an emoticon.
Cheers, mate! smile.gif

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif Zing.....it went flying right over.....my bad, indeed it does!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3062 of 8288 Old 09-02-2012, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Is it ok to leave the darblet plugged in all the time? I'm talking about the elec. plug with the red light (just to clarify).
post #3063 of 8288 Old 09-02-2012, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensmith48 View Post

Is it ok to leave the darblet plugged in all the time? I'm talking about the elec. plug with the red light (just to clarify).

Yes

-DD
post #3064 of 8288 Old 09-02-2012, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene9p View Post

it's not the Darbee since it is AFTER the receiver and will have no effect at all on sound from your bd player directly into the Pioneer and your surround speakers.Check your cables.also check you receivers audio settings for an hdmi input. I know my pre amp won't allow the sound to be processed as well as passed through to my tv's speakers. It's one or the other but not both.

i know how to turn audio pass through on and off on my receiver.
if i pass through or don't process through receiver the sound is fine on the tv.
i have set the receiver to not pass through sound to the tv and process it.
if i process through receiver to get sound out of my surround sound speakers the darblet introduces a stuttering, audio coming on and off that is unbearable.

the cables are fine. as soon as i remove the darblet there is no issue with sound through the receiver.

if i introduce the darblet again to this setup the sound cuts on and off frequently.

is this something DVP is aware of or has any plans to check out? i'm hoping DarbeeDr will chime in on this.
post #3065 of 8288 Old 09-02-2012, 12:16 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjschaff View Post

Sorry I missed that, though I wasn't sure that the main unit wasn't reacting at all. I figured if the main unit LED blinked then it was receiving and simply not acting on what it was receiving. But in either case you'll likely have to do a return to DarbeeVision via the process they outline on their site for returns. That is, unless the retailer, AVS or other, will handle things in this case.

If you purchased one from us, we wil have you return the unit to Darbeevision but will immediately ship you a new one from our stock.
post #3066 of 8288 Old 09-02-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosng View Post

if i pass through or don't process through receiver the sound is fine on the tv.
if i process through receiver to get sound out of my surround sound speakers the darblet introduces a stuttering, audio coming on and off that is unbearable.
the cables are fine. as soon as i remove the darblet there is no issue with sound through the receiver.
if i introduce the darblet again to this setup the sound cuts on and off frequently.
is this something DVP is aware of or has any plans to check out? i'm hoping DarbeeDr will chime in on this.

I will pass on the the engineer.

Have you tried power cycling the chain?

The Darblet simply gets all its interop information from the HDMI signal.

Darblet ON first, then Pioner, then display.
Or, try - Darblet ON first, then display, then Pioneer.

The Darblet is designed to pass through audio, we don't process it or delay it.

-DD
post #3067 of 8288 Old 09-02-2012, 02:15 PM

So the video will lag the audio by three micro seconds. Once again below the threshold of human perception.
post #3068 of 8288 Old 09-02-2012, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosng View Post

i still do not see how that is physically possible since audio and video is processed in your receiver then output to the darbee via an hdmi output on receiver. Cannot see how it could possibly cause a reverse signal to an output on your receiver from the darbees own input. I could see a possibility, if at all, to the tv speakers but not your HT speakers since your blu ray player goes directly into the receiver.
post #3069 of 8288 Old 09-02-2012, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 4 View Post

So the video will lag the audio by three micro seconds. Once again below the threshold of human perception.

I'll get my stopwatch out and check it :LOL
post #3070 of 8288 Old 09-02-2012, 02:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Tested for lag and there is none to speak of, 60fps gaming is a non issue.

Jason
post #3071 of 8288 Old 09-02-2012, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
You get a prize if you notice the 3 microsecond lag.

-DD

3 microseconds or 3 milliseconds?
post #3072 of 8288 Old 09-02-2012, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 43
MICRO smile.gif

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #3073 of 8288 Old 09-02-2012, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
How would the Darbee do between an Integra 80.2 prepro and my Kuro 151
post #3074 of 8288 Old 09-02-2012, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

I'm sure it would be just fine. I'm getting one and I have an Integra 40.1 and a JVC RS20....just buy 'and try' it; 30 day money back if it doesn't work thru AVS store......

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #3075 of 8288 Old 09-02-2012, 05:00 PM
sfm

Liked: 12
Count me as a user who has experienced the Darblet resetting itself back to factory settings (100% pop mode, no fine control mode, persistent display, etc.). Mine has the latest (including Lumagen fix) firmware. I turned on the system last night and the Darblet had reset itself (FYI, the Darblet is plugged into a switched outlet between a Lumagen XS and JVC RS-20)... Not exactly the "set it and forget it" experience I would expect from a device like this... more than a little annoying.
post #3076 of 8288 Old 09-02-2012, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have it between a marantz pre amp and a Kuro 111 and it is great!
post #3077 of 8288 Old 09-02-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:

If you purchased one from us, we wil have you return the unit to Darbeevision but will immediately ship you a new one from our stock.

Yes, I did purchase it through you guys. I sent an e-mail through your website on Saturday, asking for instructions, after thoroughly troubleshooting. The remote does light up when you press a buttton and look through a digital camera, so it is sending some kind of IR signal, but the unit apparently isn't receiving the signal. Also tried unplugging and then plugging it back in, to no avail.
post #3078 of 8288 Old 09-02-2012, 07:49 PM

I don't have a receiver that will accept HDMI, so if I want to run two sources through the Darblet, I will need a switch between the sources and the Darblet. I was looking at a Kinivo powered switch on Amazon. Any advice on whether this will introduce some losses in the signal and whether it might be noticable?
post #3079 of 8288 Old 09-02-2012, 07:55 PM

Brent. Email Darbeevision and request an RMA from them. Send me an email for me to respond to you so I can take this offline. Cedia going on all next week may slow things up a bit. But please send me an email right away and I will communicate more. In order to get a new one out to you on Tuesday when we reopen I will need a CC to secure the shipment but we won't charge it and will cancel it out completely once Darbeevision receives the defective one. Like I say all the Darbee folks will be at Cedia all next week so hopefully they will issue you an RMA before they leave and our shipping office will remain open next week so we can get a new unit out to you on Tuesday.
post #3080 of 8288 Old 09-02-2012, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene9p View Post

I have it between a marantz pre amp and a Kuro 111 and it is great!

I assume you have the marantz going to your amp and then your speakers.

Are there any audio sync issues with this setup
post #3081 of 8288 Old 09-02-2012, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Can someone quickly confirm that the Darbee absolutely outputs the same color space that goes into it? I ask because I have my Oppo 95 set to Source Direct and 4/4/4 Color Space into my new Panny GT50. The GT and VT 50 models have a function called 1080P Source Direct(which I have enabled and works great). However, the 1080P Source Direct on these Panny models only works with a 4/4/4 Color Space input. So you see, I'd like to continue to take advantage of the 4/4/4 Source Direct and would like any confirmation that the Darbee won't change this config? Thank you for any responses...George
post #3082 of 8288 Old 09-02-2012, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof View Post

I watched Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows last night and had the Darbee set to 40%. On the whole I think the Darbee adds to the image quality and is a very worthwhile addition to my system. But, every now and then I run across a scene that I think would be best served with no Darbee. For example, when Sherlock is talking with Moriarty I think it's best rendered without the Darbee (IMO) (I had it set to HD 40% at the time). Yes, with Darbee at 0 it does not look quite as sharp but it looks more natural to my eyes. Looking at Moriarty's Darbeeized face it's almost as if the makeup is visible. Also notice the slight increase in noise on the right side of Moriartys face and in the blue patch and other low lit parts of the scene. I'm not going to toss the baby out with the bath water because of this but it does keep me from ratcheting up the Darbee level.

I just watched this movie tonight and started with 45% in HD mode but it looked like it was too contrasty. I turned the Darblet off and it looked great...still very sharp. Then turned the darblet back on and reduced it to 35%. Much better! Still very sharp but more clear of an image and the overly vividness was gone. The scenes in the outskirts of Paris with the Eiffel tower in the background was very realistic looking with the Darblet set to 35%. Darker scenes looked a lot better than 45%.

I did see one magenta flash with this disc but it was during the previews at the beginning. The image was flashing with several scene changes and I saw one quick magenta flash. My setup is Duo to darblet to JVC RS1. 4:4:4 color space used in and out of the darblet. I never saw any flashes during the movie though.
post #3083 of 8288 Old 09-02-2012, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150zx View Post

Can someone quickly confirm that the Darbee absolutely outputs the same color space that goes into it? I ask because I have my Oppo 95 set to Source Direct and 4/4/4 Color Space into my new Panny GT50. The GT and VT 50 models have a function called 1080P Source Direct(which I have enabled and works great). However, the 1080P Source Direct on these Panny models only works with a 4/4/4 Color Space input. So you see, I'd like to continue to take advantage of the 4/4/4 Source Direct and would like any confirmation that the Darbee won't change this config? Thank you for any responses...George
Yes,

See page 51.

Geof
post #3084 of 8288 Old 09-02-2012, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronomy View Post

I just watched this movie tonight and started with 45% in HD mode but it looked like it was too contrasty. I turned the Darblet off and it looked great...still very sharp. Then turned the darblet back on and reduced it to 35%. Much better! Still very sharp but more clear of an image and the overly vividness was gone. The scenes in the outskirts of Paris with the Eiffel tower in the background was very realistic looking with the Darblet set to 35%. Darker scenes looked a lot better than 45%.
I did see one magenta flash with this disc but it was during the previews at the beginning. The image was flashing with several scene changes and I saw one quick magenta flash. My setup is Duo to darblet to JVC RS1. 4:4:4 color space used in and out of the darblet. I never saw any flashes during the movie though.
Yes, I recall similar findings. I was changing the % quite a bit during that flick. Before watching it I had sort of settled on 45% but after that I dialed it back to 40%. I seem to recall liking 35 but I really don't want to Darbee dial for each flick and 40% seemed a reasonable compromise. That said, I'd probably dial it up for flicks like Avatar (I want to try Pop mode with that movie as well).

Geof
post #3085 of 8288 Old 09-02-2012, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentBridge View Post

I don't have a receiver that will accept HDMI, so if I want to run two sources through the Darblet, I will need a switch between the sources and the Darblet. I was looking at a Kinivo powered switch on Amazon. Any advice on whether this will introduce some losses in the signal and whether it might be noticable?

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1399154/darbee-vision-darblet/2130#post_22299743

I had issues with my Kinivo's, tried two, and a monoprice 3X1 enhanced. All powered switches. I think my green image issue was fixed, by initiating the handshakes between my devices, with the darby set to "no darby", (no processing). I ended up keeping the monoprice switch in the chain as it feels like a more robust switch, although some black electricians tape was used to cover the blinding led lights.

I am still having an issue where a bluray menu will only display the middle third of the screen, which requires me to cycle the switch to alleviate that issue. Happened with the kinivo and the monoprice units both. Issue goes away if I remove either the darby, or the switch. You might have better luck with your devices/switch, as most people aren't having issues, with switches in their chain.
post #3086 of 8288 Old 09-03-2012, 01:53 AM

Tom Huffman came over tonight to watch the new remaster of Jaws on my Lumagen, Darblet, Sony VPL-vw1000ES chain. For some reason when I switched everything on, the picture was very textured. Turned out the Darblet was set on 120. We quickly cranked it down to 40 and everything was fine. We switched it back and forth from 0 to 40 and the improvement was there.

Source quality, mainly noise in the source, is determinative of how the Darblet can be set.. I do find myself turning it up for live sports and down to say 40 for bluray movies which seems contradictory to the noise thing. But it really does differ. For movies, just set it to where to where you don't notice any enhancement to noise in the picture beyond what you see with the Darbee processing set to 0. Just set it to where you don't see any enhancement to noise. Tom tells me that the Blursay remaster of Jaws is better than seeing the original in a commercial movie theater. On my system it looked simply amazing. Almost like you were there. On the beach, in the water.
post #3087 of 8288 Old 09-03-2012, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I assume you have the marantz going to your amp and then your speakers.
Are there any audio sync issues with this setup[/quote

no audio issues whatsoever...
post #3088 of 8288 Old 09-03-2012, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof View Post

Yes, I recall similar findings. I was changing the % quite a bit during that flick. Before watching it I had sort of settled on 45% but after that I dialed it back to 40%. I seem to recall liking 35 but I really don't want to Darbee dial for each flick and 40% seemed a reasonable compromise. That said, I'd probably dial it up for flicks like Avatar (I want to try Pop mode with that movie as well).

Pop can at first look very good with Avatar but I still found HD mode better. Detail in the mountain rocks and grass are better defined in HD mode. Pop seems to smudge Or over process the fine detail almost washing it out a little. Just crank up HD mode with that flick.
post #3089 of 8288 Old 09-03-2012, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Tom Huffman came over tonight to watch the new remaster of Jaws on on Lumagen, Darblet, Sony VPL-vw1000ES chain. For some reason when I switched every thing on, the picture was very textured. Turned out the Darblet was on 120. We quickly cranked it down to 40 and everything was fine. We switched it back and forth from 0 to 40 and the inprovement was there.
Source quality, mainly noise in the source, is determinative of setting the Darblet. I do find myself turning it up for live sports and down to say 40 for bluray movies. But it really does differ. Just set it to where you don't see any enhancement to noise. Tom tells me that the Blursay remaster of Jaws is better than seeing the original in a commercial movie theater. On my system it looked simply amazing. Almost like you were there. On the beach, in the water.

Yes I noticed that with A Game of Shadows. Even 45% had noticeably more noise in the dark scenes especially. At 35% the noise wasn't noticeable and the overly contrasty image was gone too. I think maybe the noise may trigger that over contrast issue.
post #3090 of 8288 Old 09-03-2012, 09:53 AM

Liked: 10
I am a uk Darblet owner and love it, we are having a lot of flack over on our avforum from the purists who just don't want to accept the fact that it enhances the image, rather that it destroy's the directors intent (the fools:)) anyway that was not my reason for posting.

I don't know whether this has been mentioned before in the thread, I have read most of it but not all but I want to appeal to Darbee themselves in asking for a small change regards the display box.I have a 16:9 screen with removable 2.35:1 masking, when the screen is masked and I want to change a setting the display box is hidden in the masking so can't be seen and I have to lift the pj slightly to see the displayed settings.

In the setup menu you can have the display left right or centre but this does not help, it would be great if this box could be moved higher as an additional position to help with folks like me ( I imagine there are more of us) I know personally another 3 darblet owners who have this same problem,

So if the powers that be read this can you please help us and provide this small change,unfortunately it won't help me if you do unless it has to come back for a serious fix as it would be to costly to return to you + I would not have it in line to use for a couple of weeks which I could not live with.smile.gif but I am sure will help others.
Reply Video Processors

Tags
Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page