Darbee vision darblet - Page 118 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
First ... 116  117  118 119  120  ... Last
Video Processors > Darbee vision darblet
DaGamePimp's Avatar DaGamePimp 03:06 PM 09-14-2012
Ok time for everyone to break out Tron Legacy and give it a go.
eek.gif

Jason

AndyN's Avatar AndyN 03:13 PM 09-14-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

I hope this isn't correct. I just recommended the Darbee to a friend, and he uses an HDMI to DVI cable to drive his projector. Is anyone successfully using this type of connection?
I run the Darblet into a DVDO VP 50 via HDMI but then run a HDMI to DVI cable into my PJ. The VP50 is in the chain but so is the DVI. So I'm not sure about the DVI incompatibility unless the VP50 is satisfying the Darblet's need for HDCP.
jnabq's Avatar jnabq 03:28 PM 09-14-2012
Quote:

I hope this isn't correct. I just recommended the Darbee to a friend, and he uses an HDMI to DVI cable to drive his projector. Is anyone successfully using this type of connection?

I think DVI is, or can be HDCP compatible, but the pj or component it connects to, might not be HDCP compliant due to the older nature of that type of connection.
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_4/feature-dvi-hdmi-hdcp-connections-11-2004.html
I used DVI for a long time, till I upgraded my pj a few months ago connected to HDCP devices, however how well the darby works with it, I think there was only one other person posted, and they were having some type of issue, maybe with RGB?
jnabq's Avatar jnabq 03:41 PM 09-14-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post

New strange issue today with my Darblet.
I followed some tips from here, made sure that ARC was turned off on the receiver, and turned off deep color on my blu-ray player and watched Tron. It was probably the first movie I've seen so far that really allowed the Darblet to shine and my drop-outs and "colored static/snow" screens were now gone.
However...
At 1 hr, 12 min, about 55 seconds into the Tron: Legacy flick, right where Clu has picked up the silver apple and there is a flashback to when Flynn created Clu. Flynn is in the middle of nowhere, and a "mirror" like panel rises in front of him. The second he touches the panel (the point in which Clu is created I guess), my Onkyo receiver powers off.
I thought it was a fluke. Went back, it did it again at the exact same spot. I turned off the projector, blu-ray, (receiver was already off), and tried again. It STILL powered off the receiver at that same spot.
I removed the Darblet from the line-up (it is between the receiver and the projector) and the movie played without a hitch. Put the Darblet back inline, and it shuts off the receiver just at that one spot.
WTH is that all about?

Weird, I didn't think they'd be putting in DRM in audio streams till 2014? I did have my pj shutdown unexpected will changing settings on my bluray player with Darby in the chain. Didn't happen again, but the device does work strange at times. I can go for days, powering up and then one day, power up and get the green image again. I dunno, but seems at times the device isn't as stable is it could be?
jnabq's Avatar jnabq 03:52 PM 09-14-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

I don't know whether linking the review is okay, but here it is.
http://www.quebecaudio.com/actualite/darbee-darblet-video-processor/
If I'm not allowed to this, my apology to the moderators and kindly delete my post.
Nice review. And some people wonder why it's liked so much.
"When used with the entry-level Panasonic PT-AE7000U, it suddenly have the appearance almost identical to 4K upscaled image done by the Sony VPL-HW1000ES"
CRAZZZY's Avatar CRAZZZY 04:54 PM 09-14-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

Ok time for everyone to break out Tron Legacy and give it a go.
eek.gif
Jason

I'm in.wink.gif
airgas1998's Avatar airgas1998 05:00 PM 09-14-2012
Quote:

New strange issue today with my Darblet.
I followed some tips from here, made sure that ARC was turned off on the receiver, and turned off deep color on my blu-ray player and watched Tron. It was probably the first movie I've seen so far that really allowed the Darblet to shine and my drop-outs and "colored static/snow" screens were now gone.
However...
At 1 hr, 12 min, about 55 seconds into the Tron: Legacy flick, right where Clu has picked up the silver apple and there is a flashback to when Flynn created Clu. Flynn is in the middle of nowhere, and a "mirror" like panel rises in front of him. The second he touches the panel (the point in which Clu is created I guess), my Onkyo receiver powers off.
I thought it was a fluke. Went back, it did it again at the exact same spot. I turned off the projector, blu-ray, (receiver was already off), and tried again. It STILL powered off the receiver at that same spot.
I removed the Darblet from the line-up (it is between the receiver and the projector) and the movie played without a hitch. Put the Darblet back inline, and it shuts off the receiver just at that one spot.
WTH is that all about?

more like a wtf...wow that is strange,,,,i could almost throw you mine to try out, but it would probably end up in Hiawatha and not Marion:D
henrich3's Avatar henrich3 05:06 PM 09-14-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrich3 View Post

I believe Dr. Darbee's preference was that you install a Darblet between each source device and your receiver. If you want to be cheap about it & only buy one Darblet, then yes, install it between the AVR and the display... wink.gif

Why would this even make a difference if the signals are just passed-through your AVR? I've got Sony and Panasonic Blu-ray players, Toshiba HD-DVD player and a WDTV Live going into my Denon 2309CI with one HDMI output going into Darblet and then into a Monoprice 2 x 1 splitter before feeding out to Panasonic projector and plasma. Everything so far has looked great including Netflix, Amazon and Hulu+ on 119" screen.

It was a joke. Yes, it was lame, but you get what you pay for...
KBMAN's Avatar KBMAN 05:37 PM 09-14-2012
funny, I just bought a copy of Tron Legacy used on ebay, so I will test this as well.....very strange indeed. You guys really need to see Planet Earth to really appreciate the Darblet.....best demo so far... cool.gif
mediahound's Avatar mediahound 05:40 PM 09-14-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

What model onkyo ? Is everything well ventilated?

He says it doesn't happen without the Darblet installed so clearly it's the Darblet.

I suspect the Darblet can error out and spike passing through a signal which is outside of the HDMI specs, causing the AVR to power down.
RonF's Avatar RonF 06:13 PM 09-14-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post

funny, I just bought a copy of Tron Legacy used on ebay, so I will test this as well.....very strange indeed. You guys really need to see Planet Earth to really appreciate the Darblet.....best demo so far... cool.gif

The quality varies with Planet Earth but agreed definite demo material in places. My favorite is "Mountains" with the flyovers and the glaciers up through where they are in Himalayas before the wildlife checks in.
nickbuol's Avatar nickbuol 06:57 PM 09-14-2012
OK. So some more detail on the "Tron:Legacy" situation.

My receiver is an Onkyo TX-NR709. It IS well ventilated, and again, only powered down if the Darblet is in-line (plugged in to the HDMI path) and only did it at that one exact point. It just did it 4 times before I just moved on. Again, it only did it when the Darblet was in the HDMI path, although I wonder if it still would have done it if I had left the Darblet in-line, but just "off" as in still with power, but hit the "Darblet On/Off" button on the remote to put it to 0%. Might have to test that, but again (for yet another time) with the Darblet, it shuts down the receiver at the one exact spot in the movie, without the Darblet it plays just fine. Nothing else changes as far as volume, or anything and I didn't have a single other issue with the movie before or after that spot.
gene9p's Avatar gene9p 08:18 PM 09-14-2012
try unplugging your receiver from power for a minute or two.Could be some static charge causing the shutdown. It should be noted to always turn off and power down all electronics when adding a new piece of equipment especially receivers or pre amps which are very sensitive to static electrical charges.
factorz's Avatar factorz 08:52 PM 09-14-2012
Got my Darbee today. Currently using Marantz SR6006 > Darbee > Samsung 42" DLP (Professional Calibrated) and I was a little worried when I ordered it my smaller screen size would not allow me to see the benefits those with projectors are experiencing. I was pleasently suprised by the improvment this little unit provides and really can't believe what it does to games on my PS3. Skyrim is a great looking game, but the Darbee really pulls away a later of film and makes everything look so crisp. I find the effect on my TW HD cable to not be as drastic, but there is a improvement. Overall I am happy with my decision to purchase the Darbee and plan on moving to a 55"-60" Plasma in the next few months and think the Darbee will continue to work it's magic.
AV Science Sales 4's Avatar AV Science Sales 4 09:21 PM 09-14-2012
Yep. If you play games using a Play station oor Xbox, the Darbee will improve thing about an order of magnitude. HUGH improvement. No ifs, ands, or buts. Dramatic improvement.
nickbuol's Avatar nickbuol 11:03 PM 09-14-2012
Gene, I agree with your statements about potential static, and also about powering things off when adding or removing equipment from the mix. However, this only happened when the movie hit a specific spot, and I mean the EXACT spot that it would do it. Static is more dynamic than that and wouldn't cause the repeatable tests down to the exact second.
DaGamePimp's Avatar DaGamePimp 11:14 PM 09-14-2012
Quote:

Gene, I agree with your statements about potential static, and also about powering things off when adding or removing equipment from the mix. However, this only happened when the movie hit a specific spot, and I mean the EXACT spot that it would do it. Static is more dynamic than that and wouldn't cause the repeatable tests down to the exact second.

Indeed.

I tested Tron and had no issues at the same point in the movie.

Jason
primetimeguy's Avatar primetimeguy 11:36 PM 09-14-2012
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post

A somewhat educated guess is that the Darbee will not work with DVI because the Darbee needs to have a HDCP compliant path.

I'm running HDMI -> DVI without issue.  As others mentioned, it comes down to whether or not the DVI device (projector in this case) is HDCP compliant.  Not all DVI devices were.

KBMAN's Avatar KBMAN 01:53 AM 09-15-2012
Darblet to the rescue!

Watched 'Contact' bluray.....wow; it brought life to this movie that I have never seen before on a 115" projection system.....When I first bought the blu, I was like, "ehhh", but now it's BEAUTIFUL............HD MODE @ 50% biggrin.gif
AV Science Sales 4's Avatar AV Science Sales 4 05:50 AM 09-15-2012
MSRP om Sunday becomes $349 and resellerss must use that for their official advertised price. That means no dealer can put in print, and that includes on a Forum, Zamazon Fleabay etc, a lower adverised price. TODAY IS THE LAST DAY TO ORDER AT $269. Delay, snooze, and you will not be happy camper . If you want to discuss or ask certain questions, just give us a call. smile.gif
gene9p's Avatar gene9p 07:10 AM 09-15-2012
Quote:

Your problem is unique,sounds almost like a sleeper timer is activated,extremely strange.Did you try the power down?
gene9p's Avatar gene9p 07:12 AM 09-15-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 4 View Post

MSRP om Sunday becomes $349 and delivers must use that for their official advertised price. That means no dealer can put in print, and that includes on a Forum, Zamazon Fleabay etc, a lower adverised price. TODAY IS THE LAST DAY TO ORDER AT $269. Delay, snooze, and you will not be happy camper . If you want to discuss or ask certain questions, just give us a call. smile.gif

thanks for the heads up. I already own two otherwise i would be ordering another. I will pass the word around.
AustinJerry's Avatar AustinJerry 08:26 AM 09-15-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 4 View Post

MSRP om Sunday becomes $349 and delivers must use that for their official advertised price. That means no dealer can put in print, and that includes on a Forum, Zamazon Fleabay etc, a lower adverised price. TODAY IS THE LAST DAY TO ORDER AT $269. Delay, snooze, and you will not be happy camper . If you want to discuss or ask certain questions, just give us a call. smile.gif

Second Darblet on order now!

Dirtold's Avatar Dirtold 08:50 AM 09-15-2012
Quote:

A somewhat educated guess is that the Darbee will not work with DVI because the Darbee needs to have a HDCP compliant path.

Thanks for the input. I guess I need to return the unit.
Ronomy's Avatar Ronomy 09:05 AM 09-15-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ballentine View Post

Wonder what Darbee at 0% equals?

I think I saw a post by AVS that said they did a side by side compare between no darblet and darblet set to 0%. No change in the image!
henrich3's Avatar henrich3 09:46 AM 09-15-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtold View Post

Quote:

Thanks for the input. I guess I need to return the unit.

Or keep the Darblet & upgrade the display! smile.gif
Mr.G's Avatar Mr.G 10:08 AM 09-15-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post

Watched 'Contact' bluray.....wow; it brought life to this movie that I have never seen before on a 115" projection system.....When I first bought the blu, I was like, "ehhh", but now it's BEAUTIFUL............HD MODE @ 50% biggrin.gif

Good to hear, maybe I'll revisit that Blu-ray tonight. Like you I always thought the Contact Blu-ray mastering was only so-so.

While we're on the subject of Blu-rays I watched the first 15 minutes of Blade Runner (Final Edition) on 50% HD and it had quite a bit of noise in the backgrounds while watching on both my projector and plasma HDTV, otherwise the details were excellent. Anyone else see this?
JeffY's Avatar JeffY 10:13 AM 09-15-2012
Unless you are inputing RGB there is still a colour space conversion going on which may or may not be visible.
nickbuol's Avatar nickbuol 11:53 AM 09-15-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene9p View Post

Your problem is unique,sounds almost like a sleeper timer is activated,extremely strange.Did you try the power down?

Sleeper timer? No...

Again, I could go back to right before that spot and it would do it again and again. A sleeper timer would reset when the receiver was turned back on, and the only setting similar to that is that I have as much of my gear set to turn off after a certain number of hours of inactivity or no signal. The test with removing the Darblet from the line-up was done within a minute (or so) of the previous and next next tests with the Darblet back in line.

I turned everything back off yesterday, obviously, including unplugging the Darblet's power. Then this morning, I disconnected and reconnected the entire HDMI cably string (blu-ray to receiver, receiver to Darblet, Darblet to projector). I powered the system up, and put Tron back in. I went to 1 minute prior to the previous receiver shut down spot, and it played through it just fine. I went back probably 3 more times and kept trying, and it worked just fine.

So the issue *seems* to have gone away, but I am still concerned as to when it will rear its ugly head again. Prior to getting my Darblet (again, only have watched a couple of movies with it), in all of the dozens and dozens of movies watched, I have never had the receiver ever shut down like that during a movie, let alone at the exact same spot, so to me it is clear that the Darblet is feeding back some sort of signal through HDMI. I mean, my tests proved that it is since it comes after the receiver, and the receiver only shut down with the Darblet in-line. That concerns me.
gene9p's Avatar gene9p 12:45 PM 09-15-2012
Quote:

Sleeper timer? No...
Again, I could go back to right before that spot and it would do it again and again. A sleeper timer would reset when the receiver was turned back on, and the only setting similar to that is that I have as much of my gear set to turn off after a certain number of hours of inactivity or no signal. The test with removing the Darblet from the line-up was done within a minute (or so) of the previous and next next tests with the Darblet back in line.
I turned everything back off yesterday, obviously, including unplugging the Darblet's power. Then this morning, I disconnected and reconnected the entire HDMI cably string (blu-ray to receiver, receiver to Darblet, Darblet to projector). I powered the system up, and put Tron back in. I went to 1 minute prior to the previous receiver shut down spot, and it played through it just fine. I went back probably 3 more times and kept trying, and it worked just fine.
So the issue *seems* to have gone away, but I am still concerned as to when it will rear its ugly head again. Prior to getting my Darblet (again, only have watched a couple of movies with it), in all of the dozens and dozens of movies watched, I have never had the receiver ever shut down like that during a movie, let alone at the exact same spot, so to me it is clear that the Darblet is feeding back some sort of signal through HDMI. I mean, my tests proved that it is since it comes after the receiver, and the receiver only shut down with the Darblet in-line. That concerns me.

good to hear..I think unplugging the equipment from power may have cleared whatever the cause was. Since everything is computerized and software driven a good shutdown and removal from power source for all components can resolve strange performance issues.
Tags: Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor
First ... 116  117  118 119  120  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop