Forum Jump: 
 25Likes

post #3871 of 8107 Old 09-28-2012, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 684
^ I would still be more comfortable if Dr. Darbee would comment on the potential benefits of daisy-chaining.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3872 of 8107 Old 09-28-2012, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by adeelz View Post

Is there one you recommend? Prefer something automatic.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/switches/index.htm The auto switch has been reported to work, as well as a Monoprice 4x2 switch by a couple other users. I've used a Kinivo 3X1 preminum, and a Monoprice 3X1 enhanced. I kept the Monoprice switch as it was more robust than the Kinivo, but had to put tape on the led's as they are very bright.
post #3873 of 8107 Old 09-28-2012, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Got my new cable box, Tivo TBA9000(?), and now the cable box > receiver > Darblet > projector chain works with an HDMI cable!! YAY!!! biggrin.gif
post #3874 of 8107 Old 09-28-2012, 07:11 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

^ I would still be more comfortable if Dr. Darbee would comment on the potential benefits of daisy-chaining.

If you have 2 darbys just try it just like you tried just 1 - if you don't like it go back to just 1 - no harm no foul - I don't understand the reluctance to just trying it - we all experiment here on this forum to always try to get the best images possible right? I don't think we need Dr. Darbee's permission/approval to just trying it. You won't create a portal to the 11th dimension by just trying it.... wait that might not be a bad thing either cool.gif

Calibrate then darbee-ate(2^)!

post #3875 of 8107 Old 09-28-2012, 07:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnabq View Post

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/switches/index.htm The auto switch has been reported to work, as well as a Monoprice 4x2 switch by a couple other users. I've used a Kinivo 3X1 preminum, and a Monoprice 3X1 enhanced. I kept the Monoprice switch as it was more robust than the Kinivo, but had to put tape on the led's as they are very bright.

WOW!! Blue Jeans Cable is still around? I used to order all my component and other analog cables from them in the early 2000's. But only ordered a few HDMI cables from them. I've used monoprice for most the 100+ HDMI cables I've purchased during the last eight years.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #3876 of 8107 Old 09-28-2012, 08:26 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

WOW!! Blue Jeans Cable is still around? I used to order all my component and other analog cables from them in the early 2000's. But only ordered a few HDMI cables from them. I've used monoprice for most the 100+ HDMI cables I've purchased during the last eight years.

Their Belden Series of HDMI cables are amazing...it is all I buy. Belden's proprietary technology allows for thinner, more flexible cables. I have many sizes shorter than 6 feet, and have never had any issues with any of the equipment connected. If you have seen my HDMI distribution diagram, you would know that flexibility and reliability is an important factor for me!

Mark
post #3877 of 8107 Old 09-28-2012, 08:31 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quote:

Mark, you say you noticed a difference, but what kind of a difference? Is it different than if a single Darblet was set to 75? Or 80? I don't see how you could easily do an A/B comparison. Are you sure it isn't expectation bias?

Jerry,

You are correct in your assumption that I don't know if it is different than a single Darblet set to 75 or 80, and I cannot easily do a comparison. I have a pretty good DSLR (Nikon D5100), so can take some pictures this weekend with the various settings using my projection setup. Any suggestions on what image to pause on? Assuming I have the program material suggested, of course! I was thinking perhaps a dark scene, as sometimes the noise can add unwanted artifacts. I noticed this on a below-deck scene in Master and Commander, for example.

Mark
post #3878 of 8107 Old 09-28-2012, 08:35 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmassie View Post

I have been using the daisy-chain method for my 2 darblets for well over a month now. I set the 1st darblet at a setting that I found to be generally good for all sources (for me that was 60% HD). I then hide darblet 1 behind my equipment rack to avoid IR signals from the remote controls. I then set my second darblet at around 10-15% POP (varies with content). Again the effect is more noticeable the better the source. The images from Direct TV NFL Sunday Ticket were pretty amazing - rich with lots of depth. Don't dismiss it if the images don't look right at the start - experiment with different combinations to see what gives you the best images per your display and viewing conditions/preferences. I have found the key to be:

Calibrate your display as best you can
1) Find your best set and forget setting for darby #1 to "lift the vei"l/sharpen - then put it away
2) "Season to taste" with the second darby (judicious settings) to add that extra pop and depth

I have found the 1st darblet is for clarity/veil lifting and the second darby is for extra pop and depth enchancement.

As with all things YMMV
Calibrate the darbee-ate(squared)!

Yes, I was thinking the same as you.

My RS35 was calibrated (Optimized) by William Phelps.
1) I have Darblet number one set at HD 50%, primarily because that is what Kris Deering recommened; he also has an RS35.
2) I currently have the second Darblet at Full Pop 15%, and have not experimented at all yet.

Mark
post #3879 of 8107 Old 09-28-2012, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
I use my Darblet with a Schneider M lens, all my scope movies look WAY better!

Sweet! Your lens kicks the pants off mine, but I'm sure the Darbee will do a good job of making the image look better.

post #3880 of 8107 Old 09-28-2012, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post

Sweet! Your lens kicks the pants off mine, but I'm sure the Darbee will do a good job of making the image look better.

I've been getting good resuts using a JVC HD350(RS10) and an Isco II lens, it certainly seems to work well with a lens setup.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #3881 of 8107 Old 09-28-2012, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post

Jerry,
You are correct in your assumption that I don't know if it is different than a single Darblet set to 75 or 80, and I cannot easily do a comparison. I have a pretty good DSLR (Nikon D5100), so can take some pictures this weekend with the various settings using my projection setup. Any suggestions on what image to pause on? Assuming I have the program material suggested, of course! I was thinking perhaps a dark scene, as sometimes the noise can add unwanted artifacts. I noticed this on a below-deck scene in Master and Commander, for example.
Mark

Mark,

I am no expert at taking photographs of projector images. However, if you happen to have either the Spears&Munsil or the Digital Video Essentials test disk, their demo montages are excellent screens to test the Darbee enhancements. Good luck!
post #3882 of 8107 Old 09-28-2012, 10:53 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quote:

Mark,
I am no expert at taking photographs of projector images. However, if you happen to have either the Spears&Munsil or the Digital Video Essentials test disk, their demo montages are excellent screens to test the Darbee enhancements. Good luck!

Neither am I an expert on taking projector images, except I plan to use a tripod and no flash. My room is a black hole.

I have both the S&M and DVE HD Basics discs. Anyone have a particular disc (of those two) and a scene in mind? If so, a time stamp would be useful.

Thanks.

Mark
post #3883 of 8107 Old 09-28-2012, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmassie View Post

If you have 2 darbys just try it just like you tried just 1 - if you don't like it go back to just 1 - no harm no foul - I don't understand the reluctance to just trying it - we all experiment here on this forum to always try to get the best images possible right? I don't think we need Dr. Darbee's permission/approval to just trying it. You won't create a portal to the 11th dimension by just trying it.... wait that might not be a bad thing either cool.gif

Calibrate then darbee-ate(2^)!

That was hilarious! Really made my laugh out loud smile.gif

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #3884 of 8107 Old 09-28-2012, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:

Neither am I an expert on taking projector images, except I plan to use a tripod and no flash. My room is a black hole.
I have both the S&M and DVE HD Basics discs. Anyone have a particular disc (of those two) and a scene in mind? If so, a time stamp would be useful.
Thanks.
Mark

I have a suggestion....take a shot of one of the mountain scenes in 'Planet Earth'....I believe it's on disc 1. This is shot with HD Video. Next, take a shot at the beg. of 'The Two Towers' where Frodo and Sam are walking thru the cragly rocks....That's a FILM source.

I suggest this because from my Darbee experience so far, mountains; be it from film or video, seem to make the biggest difference to naked eye....

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #3885 of 8107 Old 09-28-2012, 12:18 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post

I have a suggestion....take a shot of one of the mountain scenes in 'Planet Earth'....I believe it's on disc 1. This is shot with HD Video. Next, take a shot at the beg. of 'The Two Towers' where Frodo and Sam are walking thru the cragly rocks....That's a FILM source.
I suggest this because from my Darbee experience so far, mountains; be it from film or video, seem to make the biggest difference to naked eye....

I only have the two towers, but only DVD.
post #3886 of 8107 Old 09-28-2012, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks.
Mark

So many great shots to evaluate the Darbee Vision enhancements on the S&M disk:

Cornfield @ :50

Boats in marina @ :1:28

Details on bridge @ 1:44

Seattle skyline in sunlight @ 2:15

Brick buildings on UW campus @ 2:31

Seattle skyline at night @ 3:26

Any of these would be good choices.
post #3887 of 8107 Old 09-28-2012, 12:56 PM

Liked: 17
I got my darbee last night plugged it into the output of my avr-a100 which feeds a panny 7000 projector. watched my dune player and a couple of episodes from Hawaii Five-0.
Wow....just wow. using hd at 55% and am just blown away at what I am seeing. at $249 from smarthome, my only regret is not buying a couple more.
of course I also bought an oppo 103 last night and was looking forward to playing with it's video processing, but I don't know how it could possibly be better than my Darbee.
yes, it does take a bit longer for the hdmi to sync up, but that is a small price to pay for what I am seeing...
post #3888 of 8107 Old 09-28-2012, 02:04 PM

Liked: 17
[Has anyone connected the output of say... an mrf-260 to the ir input of the darbee. if so, does this work? i did a search but did not find anything...
post #3889 of 8107 Old 09-28-2012, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

When I switch inputs, I get a flash of the magenta screen. I thought this was specific to the Darbee/Lumagen combo pack. But I'm not using any external VP. Any thoughts on how to make this go away?

Don't think the Magenta flash is because of the Lumagen/Darbee combo, I am seeing the same flash using a BDP-95>Darbee>VT95 plasma.. .

I haven't run any test's yet but I am seeing a highlighted picture, a slight change with something to do with my CMS, Hue, Saturation, Luminescence.settings, at some IRE levels more than others. I have only viewed Blu Ray 2D and 3D movies so far.

I doubt that my HDMI cables, long or short would have anything to do with this.

There seems to be a slight increase with sharpness/contrast.

I am not saying that the Darbee is bad, all I am saying is that there seems to be trade off's. I probably will do a calibration with the Darbee in my chain, but still I don't think the Magenta flash will go away.

ss
post #3890 of 8107 Old 09-28-2012, 02:24 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstenuf View Post

I just received my Darblet and while it works fine with my Oppo, I cannot get it to work with my DVR. I get an error message that says something about "My HD Receiver security has been compromized". I cannot read the rest of it because it is not on the screen long enough. After the warning message drops off, I get a series of flashing horizontal color bars, with sound, but no picture. If I remove the Darblet I get a HDTV picture. The issue is there even on SDTV. Has anyone had this issue?
Comcast Cable
Motorola DCX 3400 DVR
Oppo BDP 83
Denon AVR
All connections via HDMI

UPDATE:
WOOT! I replaced my DCX 3400 DVR with a Motorola RGN200n DVR and all is well!
post #3891 of 8107 Old 09-28-2012, 05:23 PM

Liked: 10
Got mine today thanks to all this positive feedback, Running Oppo BDP-83 though avr-3310ci then to darby, then to xbr65-hx929..

So far, I can see certain scenes have a difference in the look when using the demo, especially trees.. Then tried Monsters INC.. did see a difference there two with the split screen..

Debating on putting the dvdo edge back into the mix, wondering if that combo with the Darby would help hd from the tivo box I have to send out via component because the hdmi died a long time ago, and the box has lifetime service..
post #3892 of 8107 Old 09-28-2012, 06:10 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

I watched The Avengers with my son and his friend, so decided to take some pictures after we were done, since the projector was all warmed up and everything.

The system
BD Player: Denon DVD-3800BDCI
V/P: Lumagen Radiance XS3D with no image enhancement (sharpness, adaptive contrast, etc.) currently in use.
Projector: JVC D-ILA RS35 Optimized by William Phelps, and installed at about 19 feet from the screen.
Screen: Stewart 110" 1.78 aspect ration fixed screen with StudioTek 130 material.

The Setup
The pictures were all taken at approximately 10 feet away from the screen with the Nikon D5100 camera with a Nikon DX VR (Nikkor AF-S 18-66mm 1:3.5-5.6G) lens on a tripod. The lens is set with auto focus and Vibration Reduction (VR) on. I used the standard setting for no flash, which is right next to the auto setting. So, basically auto sans flash.

The Photos
The first group of photos were shot with the 18-55mm lens set at the 18mm zoom setting; the second set are taken with the lens at the 55mm zoom setting.

Darblet 1: HD Mode: 50% / Darblet 2: Full Pop Mode: 15%

Darblet 1: HD Mode: 50% / Darblet 2: Full Pop Mode: 0%

Darblet 1: HD Mode: 0% / Darblet 2: Full Pop Mode: 15%

Darblet 1: HD Mode: 0% / Darblet 2: Full Pop Mode: 0%

I have some more Avengers shots I can post later.

Mark
post #3893 of 8107 Old 09-28-2012, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

Don't think the Magenta flash is because of the Lumagen/Darbee combo, I am seeing the same flash using a BDP-95>Darbee>VT95 plasma.. .
I haven't run any test's yet but I am seeing a highlighted picture, a slight change with something to do with my CMS, Hue, Saturation, Luminescence.settings, at some IRE levels more than others. I have only viewed Blu Ray 2D and 3D movies so far.
I doubt that my HDMI cables, long or short would have anything to do with this.
There seems to be a slight increase with sharpness/contrast.
I am not saying that the Darbee is bad, all I am saying is that there seems to be trade off's. I probably will do a calibration with the Darbee in my chain, but still I don't think the Magenta flash will go away.
ss

Has anyone done a before Darbee and after Darbee calibration reading comparison of Greyscale, and CMS?
post #3894 of 8107 Old 09-28-2012, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

@Giomania,

My eyes may not be as good as yours, but it is really difficult for me to see differences between the first two shots in each group. I believe I prefer Darblet 1 at HD50 and Darblet 2 at 0 (the second pic in each group).

Can you point out the differences you see so I can review the pics once again?
post #3895 of 8107 Old 09-28-2012, 07:25 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

The system
BD Player: Denon DVD-3800BDCI
V/P: Lumagen Radiance XS3D with no image enhancement (sharpness, adaptive contrast, etc.) currently in use.
Projector: JVC D-ILA RS35 Optimized by William Phelps, and installed at about 19 feet from the screen.
Screen: Stewart 110" 1.78 aspect ration fixed screen with StudioTek 130 material.

The Setup
The pictures were all taken at approximately 10 feet away from the screen with the Nikon D5100 camera with a Nikon DX VR (Nikkor AF-S 18-66mm 1:3.5-5.6G) lens on a tripod. The lens is set with auto focus and Vibration Reduction (VR) on. I used the standard setting for no flash, which is right next to the auto setting. So, basically auto sans flash.

The Photos
The first group of photos were shot with the 18-55mm lens set at the 18mm zoom setting; the second set are taken with the lens at the 55mm zoom setting.

post #3896 of 8107 Old 09-28-2012, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Hey guys, I just received my Darblet today and really like what it can do but I'm having issues with the screen flickering and displaying light sparklig from my blu-ray player, but not my PS3 or Western Digital media player. Is there some setting I need to change to the blu-ray player or is the darblet that finicky?
post #3897 of 8107 Old 09-28-2012, 07:30 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quote:

@Giomania,
My eyes may not be as good as yours, but it is really difficult for me to see differences between the first two shots in each group. I believe I prefer Darblet 1 at HD50 and Darblet 2 at 0 (the second pic in each group).
Can you point out the differences you see so I can review the pics once again?

Jerry,

Ironically, that was my reaction from looking at the pictures as well. I did not have time in the theater to compare the different modes on-screen. Perhaps the photos should be taken closer to the screen, I think to reveal more subtle differences. I was at max zoom, so would need to move the camera closer. That is what I think Zombie did in his photos.

Any input from the peanut gallery?

Mark
post #3898 of 8107 Old 09-28-2012, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm looking for some hints from you regarding details you are observing as you look at the screen directly. If I knew what to look for, maybe the differences would become more apparent. I was expecting the differences with the second Darblet in the mix to be immediately recognizable.

I know I should just try it for myself, but I have been somewhat lazy since both of my Darblets are locked down with double-sided tape and cable-ties on the HDMI cables. Sorry.
post #3899 of 8107 Old 09-28-2012, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Wow, I notice a big difference in every one of those pictures. The biggest impact is seen on the first set of pics. The depth and clarity added is apparent. I really can't believe how much more the second darbee helps.
post #3900 of 8107 Old 09-28-2012, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Previously, I was looking at the pics on my iPad2.  Now I am looking at the pics on my computer monitor, and I am able to see subtle differences from pic to pic. 

Reply Video Processors

Tags
Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page