post #3961 of 8067 Old 10-01-2012, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S View Post

I saw this on an Amy WInehouse concert I recorded off BBC HD (1080i) and it didn't look very flattering. Out of deference to the departed I turned the Darbee off for this concert. smile.gif

I watched the Man on Fire Blu-ray last night, Denzel Washington, directed by Tony Scott. This film has so much color saturation, contrast and sharpness that at HD 50% the Darbee was over-cooking the film. At my wife's request I turned off the Darbee to 0 and it still looked excellent. I then remembered I had the Panasonic projector was set to Detail Clarity +2 and I set that to 0 and it still looked great. There are many movies on Blu-ray that benefit from using the Darbee but when a movie is shot right and mastered correctly there is little more that should be done - unless you're a tweak-a-holic. If anyone else has this Blu-ray I would like to know your experience with it.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3962 of 8067 Old 10-01-2012, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

I've had the Darbee now for about 2 months & had my first real issue while watching the Avengers 3D blu-ray.
Everything was working flawlessly then around the 32:00 mark, the video cut out for about 5 seconds then returned.
Then about 5 minutes later, it happened again.
This happened 2 more times and each time, the Darbee Blue LED would go out & when the picture returned, the Blue LED would turn back on.
I left the Darbee in the chain and set it to OFF. The issue no longer occurred.
Didn't bother turning the Darbee back on because I had guests and didn't want to risk another picture outage.
I have a Panasonic 3D blu-ray player feeding a Pioneer AVR then the Darbee then to my 5010 projector.
*I've watched Thor & Captain America 3D blu-ray's previously with no picture drop outs.

Handshake problem? I also use a Panasonic 3D Blu-ray player and my Darbee is connected after Denon AVR, no problems so far.

But let me add that the Darbee feeds into a powered Monoprice splitter before heading to my plasma and projector.

-

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #3963 of 8067 Old 10-01-2012, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Would the image sharpness of my Epson Home cinema 3010 projector improve much? or is the "Native" sharpnes of the 3 LCD projectors will not get much better? i like the LCD picture look better than the cinema type that my projector outputs, but i dont know if correcting this with the darblet is to much to ask. i apollogize if this has been posted before but its hard to go through 130+ pages of posts and english is not my first langauge so please forgive for any gramatical errors.
post #3964 of 8067 Old 10-01-2012, 08:41 AM

Would the image sharpness of my Epson Home cinema 3010 projector improve much? or is the "Native" sharpnes of the 3 LCD projectors will not get much better? i like the LCD picture look better than the cinema type that my projector outputs, but i dont know if correcting this with the darblet is to much to ask. i apollogize if this has been posted before but its hard to go through 130+ pages of posts and english is not my first langauge so please forgive for any gramatical errors.
post #3965 of 8067 Old 10-01-2012, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

Have you thought about swapping the Darbee out for the 'working' unit in your home theater? Does it exhibit the same behavior?
The one in the Home Theater has quite a few Magenta flashes before getting to the movie but eventually it works. This 2nd Darbee isn't working today even though it did yesterday. Think I'll order some Redmere 6' cables. The Anthem Mrx 500 says No Signal. I tried reinserting the cables but no luck. Not sure why I'm getting the Magenta flashes. The setup is: Oppo 93>Anthem D2v>Darbee>Projector (JVC RS20).
post #3966 of 8067 Old 10-01-2012, 09:26 AM

Liked: 11
Watched NFL Red Zone from my DVR last night and was a little bummed that I didn't notice much of a difference with the Darbee. Likely the source from comcast was already compressed and the DVR might degrade the signal even further. The Atlanta Carolina game looked liked they were playing on shaggy old lady carpet and that was after I decreased the Darbee to HD 30. Still enjoying it with blu rays, but my expectations may have been too high after watching the Avengers the night before.
post #3967 of 8067 Old 10-01-2012, 09:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by jutang View Post

Watched NFL Red Zone from my DVR last night and was a little bummed that I didn't notice much of a difference with the Darbee. Likely the source from comcast was already compressed and the DVR might degrade the signal even further. The Atlanta Carolina game looked liked they were playing on shaggy old lady carpet and that was after I decreased the Darbee to HD 30. Still enjoying it with blu rays, but my expectations may have been too high after watching the Avengers the night before.

I think the issue is the NFL rezone, not the darbee. Garbage in garbage out. If you watch a live broadcast you should be pleased with the outcome. i know I really like what the darbee does in my set up with live sports.

Ron

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #3968 of 8067 Old 10-01-2012, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post

The green light has always been a mystery to me ... on my Darbee the green LED does not 'blink once per second'. The red LED is the 'power indicator'. Both red and blue LED's are lit on my darbee as normal. The green LED seems redundant? And why is it that mine doesn't blink??

I think I read a post from Dr. Darbee stating that the green LED is the "heartbeat" of the Darblet. If yours is not flashing, then I would guess that would indicate a defect. I don't think I've read anywhere that if your green LED stops blinking it indicates a problem. But I would agree that if the green LED indicates nothing more than the unit is receiving power, then it's pretty redundant.
post #3969 of 8067 Old 10-01-2012, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhdiab View Post

Can you give me the product number once you confirm if it works.
I have an old HDMI splitter that is on the fritz so probably may as well get a splitter & amplifier all in one but would be curios to what you think about your purchase first

Just wanted to give an update on my HDMI cabling issue as it might benefit others. My cabling run was handling 1080/60 just fine until the inclusion of the Darblet (and an additional 6' DVI/HDMI cable). The result was "sparklies" all over the 1080/60 picture. Reducing the resolution to 720/60 eliminated nearly all of the noise.

I ordered and tried inserting the Monoprice Active (though passive rolleyes.gif) Equalizer Extender Repeater (PID 2849) along with an additional 1' high speed HDMI cable right next to the PJ. The result was terrible: green screen, horizontal lines galore, and sync drops every five seconds. It was apparently only "extending" the noise.

So instead, I replaced the 6' DVI/HDMI cable with a DVI/HDMI adapter and a 3' HDMI cable -- problem fixed! I'll have to test the 6' cable to be sure, but I don't think its bad (was just using it a few months ago without problem).

But for those who are experiencing noise cropping up when inserting the Darbee into the chain, I'd recommend trying to shorten your runs as much as possible. And for those using DVI in the mix, try an adapter along with an HDMI/HDMI cable rather than a DVI/HDMI cable to see whether it resolves your issues.
post #3970 of 8067 Old 10-01-2012, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by roknrol View Post

I think I read a post from Dr. Darbee stating that the green LED is the "heartbeat" of the Darblet. If yours is not flashing, then I would guess that would indicate a defect.

So, how are other AVS'rs darbee's green LED's behaving? Blinking? or only on for a couple seconds when powering up the darbee, then it goes out?
post #3971 of 8067 Old 10-01-2012, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Quote:

So, how are other AVS'rs darbee's green LED's behaving? Blinking? or only on for a couple seconds when powering up the darbee, then it goes out?

I have two Darblets. On both, when I unplug the power and then plug it back in, the green LED blinks once, and then goes dark. The red LED is lit as long as power is present. The blue LED illuminates when a signal is present. On one of my Darblets, when the signal goes away, the blue light flickers, but does not extinguish. I reported this to Darbee, and was told to ignore the flashing, or turn the LED's off. mad.gif
post #3972 of 8067 Old 10-01-2012, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 329
on all my four Darblets, the green LEDs keep blinking. I just turn off the LED.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #3973 of 8067 Old 10-01-2012, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene9p View Post

The darblet is a beta type product with remarkable results if you take the time to tweak and test a few different settings.I have 2, so sending one in for a FW update is no big deal. We know it's not a finished product .

Well, that's your opinion. The LARGE majority of users here probably wouldn't share that opinion.
Not sure what you mean by "...take the time to tweak and test a few different settings." The large majority here are inserting their darbee, turning it on, and tweeking the settings to their taste. The darbee was designed to be adjustable/tweeked. Now, if you're talking about issues with hdmi/handshaking? That's something that just about ALL hdmi devices have in 'some' instances/combinations. From AVR's, switchers, splitters, projectors, etc. It's the bane of the hdmi protocol.

I've gone through 2 monoprice switchers and 2 monoprice splitters. The switcher (which has 2 hdmi outs) had a strange problem in which my TV and PJ would only work on out 1 and 2, in that order. Switch 'em around, TV on #2 and PJ on #1 and only the TV would work. Both outs on the switcher should of course be identical. Monoprice and their excellent CS sent me out another 4x2 switcher pronto (emailed a free ship label for the bad unit) and the 2nd switcher worked perfectly, for a good 2 years now.

When I got the darbee I wanted to use it on the PJ and the LCD/LED TV, so I got a hdmi splitter from monoprice, put the darbee on the one out of the 4x2 switcher, then the 1x2 splitter on the darbee out > to the PJ/TV. It worked perfectly....for exactly 1 day. Monoprice again to the rescue, they ship me another splitter, emailed a free ship label for the defective one. The new splitter works perfectly for about 2 weeks now.
post #3974 of 8067 Old 10-01-2012, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
As long as the Darblet is functional, just turn off the LED's in the menu. We all know by now that this is really a beta release of the upcoming Fidelio, and I'm just happy I have the $269 version wink.gif

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #3975 of 8067 Old 10-01-2012, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensmith48 View Post

Not sure why I'm getting the Magenta flashes. The setup is: Oppo 93>Anthem D2v>Darbee>Projector (JVC RS20).

I have the same projector, and I sometimes get the magenta flashes before/during each movie preview on most blurays. I think that for our similar setups, this is 'normal'. Other than that, the darblet in my setup is pretty rock-solid.

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #3976 of 8067 Old 10-01-2012, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post

As long as the Darblet is functional, just turn off the LED's in the menu. We all know by now that this is really a beta release of the upcoming Fidelio, and I'm just happy I have the $269 version wink.gif

Turning off the LED's in the menu only affects the red and blue leds. Again, I'm talking about the GREEN LED. On my unit the Green LED only goes on for 2 seconds when powering up the darbee, then it goes off. It doesn't stay on blinking. If I turn off the LED's in the menu both the red and blue led's turn off, and as mentioned, my green LED is off anyway. If I power off the darbee then turn on, the unit defults to 'dimmest' LED setting, so the blue/red led's will be back on, but in their dimmest setting. The green LED is unchanged in it's action, it still comes on for 2 seconds then turns off.
post #3977 of 8067 Old 10-01-2012, 12:29 PM

Installed mine on Saturday. Looks great. No big improvement with football but TV shows and movies in HD look great. I set the Darbee at HD 70% and I like to turn it up to 80%. When watching Breaking Bad the details in Bryan Cranston's beard and facial lines are amazing. The details in clothing are also amazing. I can see individual threads in Matt Smith's jacket when watching Dr. Who. I have the Denon output to Darbee then to Panny VT30 which was pro calibrated. I love the details. I wish I had a week off from work just to watch content and play with settings.

Panasonic 65VT30 (calibrated by D-Nice) : Oppo 93 : Denon 4311CI : Emotiva XPA-5
Speakers - Definitive Technology BP7000sc (mains) CLR 3000 (center) BPVX (surround)
post #3978 of 8067 Old 10-01-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Darbee owners, Darbee has offered updates for correction of issues that the unit has had. If Darbee offers added features on newer versions of the Darbee, don't just send your Darbee in and expect it to be updated for free. Software updates for correction of glitches is one thing, but expecting lifetime updates from a company is not a sustainable business model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post

Look on the bright side, for under $300 we now have processing that would have cost $3000 just a few years ago. Sure, it has it's 'quirks', but my darblet WORKS LIKE A CHAMP.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_H View Post

$2k for a sharpener? Ouch. Let's hope the main Darblet algorithm is licensed by third parties who can supply it as part of existing products...

IMO, Darblet is great BETA device also was not properly design and tested, It seems like company release the device with hope to again some popularity and generate some revenue which can be helpful to grow them bigger and make newer product which will include most of our issue fixed in it but with higher cost.

My question is how many of us here are willing to pay $1k or more for their newer product line in near future. NOT me wink.gif
post #3979 of 8067 Old 10-01-2012, 01:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I fall into the camp that (as with many new products ...not new version, but a brand new product) I expect some bugs. When I factor in the cost (Cheap relative to other components in my system) vs the benefit in my system, it's a no brainer. For those that don't feel the same way, I understand it's your money and you can vote by keeping it whether it's worth the bugs vs the benefits.

Ron

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #3980 of 8067 Old 10-01-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post

I'll try to answer this.
I also design gear in my day job using embedded micro controllers and FPGA's. Most of these devices need proprietary interface pods and software to be updated or "re=flashed". Building in user upgrades is another layer of software and hardware design. And it's also tricky. A user error or computer glitch can easily render the device lifeless requiring factory service anyway.

using Linux base os can easily fit in any nand flash and which are not expensive these days also having usb port will not cost that much in their board. I don't think that adding user upgrade feature need extra layer of software/hardware design if they have design it properly. For eg. Network media player, like egreat, argosy, WD LIVE, etc
post #3981 of 8067 Old 10-01-2012, 01:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalsaria View Post

My question is how many of us here are willing to pay $1k or more for their newer product line in near future. NOT me wink.gif

It's not really a fair question until we know what the new product does in terms of features and the benefits of those features.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #3982 of 8067 Old 10-01-2012, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:

Well, that's your opinion. The LARGE majority of users here probably wouldn't share that opinion.
Not sure what you mean by "...take the time to tweak and test a few different settings." The large majority here are inserting their darbee, turning it on, and tweeking the settings to their taste. The darbee was designed to be adjustable/tweeked. Now, if you're talking about issues with hdmi/handshaking? That's something that just about ALL hdmi devices have in 'some' instances/combinations. From AVR's, switchers, splitters, projectors, etc. It's the bane of the hdmi protocol.
I've gone through 2 monoprice switchers and 2 monoprice splitters. The switcher (which has 2 hdmi outs) had a strange problem in which my TV and PJ would only work on out 1 and 2, in that order. Switch 'em around, TV on #2 and PJ on #1 and only the TV would work. Both outs on the switcher should of course be identical. Monoprice and their excellent CS sent me out another 4x2 switcher pronto (emailed a free ship label for the bad unit) and the 2nd switcher worked perfectly, for a good 2 years now.
When I got the darbee I wanted to use it on the PJ and the LCD/LED TV, so I got a hdmi splitter from monoprice, put the darbee on the one out of the 4x2 switcher, then the 1x2 splitter on the darbee out > to the PJ/TV. It worked perfectly....for exactly 1 day. Monoprice again to the rescue, they ship me another splitter, emailed a free ship label for the defective one. The new splitter works perfectly for about 2 weeks now.

thanks for taking my post out of context....
post #3983 of 8067 Old 10-01-2012, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

I've had the Darbee now for about 2 months & had my first real issue while watching the Avengers 3D blu-ray.
Everything was working flawlessly then around the 32:00 mark, the video cut out for about 5 seconds then returned.
Then about 5 minutes later, it happened again.
This happened 2 more times and each time, the Darbee Blue LED would go out & when the picture returned, the Blue LED would turn back on.
I left the Darbee in the chain and set it to OFF. The issue no longer occurred.
Didn't bother turning the Darbee back on because I had guests and didn't want to risk another picture outage.
I have a Panasonic 3D blu-ray player feeding a Pioneer AVR then the Darbee then to my 5010 projector.
*I've watched Thor & Captain America 3D blu-ray's previously with no picture drop outs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

Handshake problem? I also use a Panasonic 3D Blu-ray player and my Darbee is connected after Denon AVR, no problems so far.
But let me add that the Darbee feeds into a powered Monoprice splitter before heading to my plasma and projector.
-

But he hadn't had the issue in 2 mths? I recall a similar issue but had chalked it up to a handshake issue, but it was only happening when watching 3D content, also a Panasonic player feeding an Epson 6010. BTW Plasmaman, did you happen to have "deep color" on?
post #3984 of 8067 Old 10-01-2012, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreasInteligent View Post

You should see some improvement, on most content, with the 3010.
post #3985 of 8067 Old 10-01-2012, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I received my Darbee today, and hooked it up between my receiver and an Optoma HD3300 projector and got this weird message about an HD repeater error and complete shutdown of the image. Apparently, the signal out of my Best Buy Rocketfish 3D receiver (Onkyo based) does not like the Darbee messing with it's signal. Weird ( I haven't read back into this forum thread to see if it's an issue or not). I then went direct from both my blu ray player and Xfinity cable. I tweaked the Darbee on HD from 50%-120%, but could only see a minor difference. I already have the Sharpness on the HD3300 up to max 15--I found long ago that it lifts the "veil" from the image so to speak. Anyway, the Darbee does about the same, and when turned up, it just adds artifacts. I tried it with the HD3300 sharpness at 0 and the Darbee at 50%, and it's amazing that the picture is about identical to having the HD3300 sharpness at 15 and the Darbee off, so I reboxed the Darbee and I'm happy without it--this on a 159" High Power screen. I also have a very heavy-duty cable between my input and the projector, so I don't have any noise or other artifacts that will be "enhanced" by the HD3300 sharpness control--your experience may differ, but after an hour of tweaking and split screening and turning the projector sharpness up and down and darbee up and down--it just didn't add enough for my taste. Now what to do with it?
post #3986 of 8067 Old 10-01-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post

It's not really a fair question until we know what the new product does in terms of features and the benefits of those features.

yes, i think I should have waited until they officially release Fidelio or newer version of Darblet before raising this question.
post #3987 of 8067 Old 10-01-2012, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by threed123 View Post

I received my Darbee today, and hooked it up between my receiver and an Optoma HD3300 projector and got this weird message about an HD repeater error and complete shutdown of the image. Apparently, the signal out of my Best Buy Rocketfish 3D receiver (Onkyo based) does not like the Darbee messing with it's signal. Weird ( I haven't read back into this forum thread to see if it's an issue or not). I then went direct from both my blu ray player and Xfinity cable. I tweaked the Darbee on HD from 50%-120%, but could only see a minor difference. I already have the Sharpness on the HD3300 up to max 15--I found long ago that it lifts the "veil" from the image so to speak. Anyway, the Darbee does about the same, and when turned up, it just adds artifacts. I tried it with the HD3300 sharpness at 0 and the Darbee at 50%, and it's amazing that the picture is about identical to having the HD3300 sharpness at 15 and the Darbee off, so I reboxed the Darbee and I'm happy without it--this on a 159" High Power screen. I also have a very heavy-duty cable between my input and the projector, so I don't have any noise or other artifacts that will be "enhanced" by the HD3300 sharpness control--your experience may differ, but after an hour of tweaking and split screening and turning the projector sharpness up and down and darbee up and down--it just didn't add enough for my taste. Now what to do with it?

Reposted

Cool that you tried it. Most experts that have put it through tests would differ as to it "adding artifacts", and it seems it's best advantage is that it sharpens on a pixel lvl based algorithm that doesn't cause "ringing", "halos" while improving the "apparent" detail of the image, whereas most "sharpening" adjustments found on most tv/pj's might. Garbage in, garbage out scenario does apply as with any of these type of devices. http://www.hometheater.com/content/darbee-visual-presence-darblet-video-enhancer

If you bought it from AVS here, I think you can just send it back before 30 days? Just pay the shipping for the return. Sorry it didn't work out. No harm, No foul. Unless your a NFL ref I guess??
post #3988 of 8067 Old 10-01-2012, 03:06 PM

Hi guys,
just wanted to ask a quick question. I tried to put my just bought darblet into chain today and this is what I got:

HD protection mode of your repeater has been compromised; output may not be available to all sources.

Then I get no audio or video. I am sure I am doing something wrong. I have an integra dtr 80.3 connected to the 65VT50. Sorry of this has been asked before, thanks very much
post #3989 of 8067 Old 10-01-2012, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid81 View Post

Hi guys,
just wanted to ask a quick question. I tried to put my just bought darblet into chain today and this is what I got:
HD protection mode of your repeater has been compromised; output may not be available to all sources.
Then I get no audio or video. I am sure I am doing something wrong. I have an integra dtr 80.3 connected to the 65VT50. Sorry of this has been asked before, thanks very much

What are you feeding the Integra, or your just listening to music on your tv? smile.gif Might try to see if you can set the hdmi port to "pass through"?
post #3990 of 8067 Old 10-01-2012, 03:35 PM

Liked: 13
Hi,

I'm a french owner of the Darblet and i took some screenshots to compare results with/without Oppo 93.

Introduction :
You can download phtos directly from my website :
Only one archive file with all photos
Or download one by one

Material used :
Source Oppo 93 with an without Qdéo activation.
Mitsubishi HC7800 calibrated by myself with Chromapure et Eye one Display 3 sensor.
Canon 7D in full manual mode, color temp fixed at 6500°K. Aperture and speed parameters are the same for each series.

TEST 1 : ARTEFACT IN POPUP MODE, BLU RAY ANIMATION FILM

Test1.jpg

TEST 2 : COMPARISON DARBLET WITH/WITHOUT QDEO ON DETAIL PLAN, BLU RAY ANIMATION FILM

Test2.jpg

TEST 3 : COMPARISON DARBLET WITH/WITHOUT QDEO ON CLOSE-UP, BLU RAY ANIMATION FILM

Test3.jpg

TEST 4 : COMPARISON DARBLET WITH/WITHOUT QDEO ON CLOSE-UP, BLU RAY MOVIE

Test4.jpg

TEST 5 : LEVELS COMPARISON OF EVERY DARBET MODES, MKV 720p MOVIE

Test5.jpg

@+
Reply Video Processors

Tags
Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page