Darbee vision darblet - Page 136 - AVS Forum
First ... 134  135  136 137  138  ... Last
Video Processors > Darbee vision darblet
PrinceLH's Avatar PrinceLH 02:12 PM 10-05-2012
It looks like an interesting little enhancer. I wish that I could try one and make my own judgements.

beaglehead12's Avatar beaglehead12 02:25 PM 10-05-2012
Is there any beta testers
KBMAN's Avatar KBMAN 02:27 PM 10-05-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxme View Post

I'd rather not use my AVR all the time. So, is anyone using the "pass-through" option successfully on their AVR with a chain such as this? Source => AVR => Darblet = > Display
If so, what AVR do you use and did you have any issues enabling pass-through to work once the Darblet in the chain? I sent my Darblet back for this and other problems. I anticipate receiving its replacement soon. Any advice would be appreciated.smile.gif

I ALWAYS have used 'passthrough' on my Integra DHC-40.1 pre pro, and it works like a champ with the Darblet. My only hope is that it will work with future projectors with a different HDMI protocol? PS3 - Integra - Darblet - JVC RS20 BTW.......
Sonisame's Avatar Sonisame 02:28 PM 10-05-2012
I have darbee sitting between my mits 3800 projector and htpc, I use media player classic with madvr/lav video decoder. Will I notice any difference If I dial down the madvr chroma and luma upscaling (currently I have Lanczos 3 Taps for both)?

Sonisame
scottd327's Avatar scottd327 02:37 PM 10-05-2012
General impressions after using the Darblet for about 2 months:

1) Using it in the following chain without a single issue or HDMI handshake problem: Source (Sony 3d BD player, Oppo BD player, XBOX 360, Tosh HD DVD and Fios HD DVR) - switched through Onkyo 5009 - out to Darbet - out to Sony VPL-VW95ES projector.

2) No issues learning and using the Darblet remote codes with my Harmony

3) Usually set it at HD 50-75 regardless of source. I have tried the others but the HD mode pops without introducing any obvious exagerrations in the picture. Looks fantastic on most material except grainy 70s films on blu-ray (such as French Connection, Mean Streets, etc) when the Darblet makes the grain look like it is raining hard, in which case I just turn the processing off.
Ironpeddler's Avatar Ironpeddler 02:41 PM 10-05-2012
Consensus is this works best with projectors and marginally with Plasma & LCD? I'm trying to figure out if this would help my Samsung 58" plasma with a Comcast signal.

Trying to sift through 136 pages is almost impossible at this point and I've been at it for 2 hours! eek.gif

I guess the 'try it to see if you like it' method has been the most popular answer.

Thoughts?
AustinJerry's Avatar AustinJerry 02:48 PM 10-05-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironpeddler View Post

Consensus is this works best with projectors and marginally with Plasma & LCD? I'm trying to figure out if this would help my Samsung 58" plasma with a Comcast signal.
Trying to sift through 136 pages is almost impossible at this point and I've been at it for 2 hours! eek.gif
I guess the 'try it to see if you like it' method has been the most popular answer.
Thoughts?

The Darblet improves the pictures on my LED and my LCD flat panels, both 52", enough that I consider them a good value for the money.
vector1818's Avatar vector1818 03:04 PM 10-05-2012
This looks interesting. I would love to try it out and give my review!
greaser's Avatar greaser 03:13 PM 10-05-2012
^^^ Same here. I'd love to take this little gizmo for a ride. I'm all for an enhancer that really,really works! smile.gifcool.gif
Rashid81's Avatar Rashid81 03:21 PM 10-05-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by irfan View Post

Got my Darbee a week ago. It sits between my Pioneer Elite VSX-21 AVR and my Kuro (600m).. I had high hopes for this thing.
It doesnt seem to do anything that DRE doesnt do, I didnt notice anything spectacular. I tried HD and game settings, 0-110, and when the enhancements were noticeable it looked less natural. I ended up preferring the non-enhanced look for most things.
some scenes looked much better with the Darbee, but I noticed that I could accomplish the same thing with DRE controls and Sharpness.
What is DOES offer is a very very fast way of making those changes... its very cumbersome to make the adjustments by hand.
Whether or not that convenience is worth $300, im not sure.

I tried the Darblet with my VT50, and my findings were similar. Definitely not the magnitude of difference I was expecting. To make matters worse, I am getting a fatal handshake issue with my DTR-80.3, hence I am returning the Darbee. I e-mailed Larry from Darbee Vision, and he suggested using longer HDMI cables which I did. Alternatively, he suggested using a different source. I, hence, took the Integra out of the chain and connected it to the BD player. The unit worked fine with the switch, however the effect wasn't as remarkable as I had hoped for. I am intrigued, however, with the poster who is using the darblet successfully with the Onkyo 5009 - since that is a clone of my AVR.

I think its a nifty device, however its effect for me is mitigated by the excellent video processing built in the Integra. The handshake issue makes the Integra and the Darblet mutually exclusive, unfortunately.
aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt 03:21 PM 10-05-2012
I don't even know if I get an AVS newsletter. I guess I need to check. I have been enjoying both of my Darblets the last couple of days while I was home from work while I was sick. It would certainly be nice to win a third one. smile.gif
thrang's Avatar thrang 03:28 PM 10-05-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid81 View Post

I tried the Darblet with my VT50, and my findings were similar. Definitely not the magnitude of difference I was expecting. To make matters worse, I am getting a fatal handshake issue with my DTR-80.3, hence I am returning the Darbee. I e-mailed Larry from Darbee Vision, and he suggested using longer HDMI cables which I did. Alternatively, he suggested using a different source. I, hence, took the Integra out of the chain and connected it to the BD player. The unit worked fine with the switch, however the effect wasn't as remarkable as I had hoped for. I am intrigued, however, with the poster who is using the darblet successfully with the Onkyo 5009 - since that is a clone of my AVR.
I think its a nifty device, however its effect for me is mitigated by the excellent video processing built in the Integra. The handshake issue makes the Integra and the Darblet mutually exclusive, unfortunately.

I use a darblet with an 80.3 with no issues. I use a lumagen mini in between them, but I've tested without the lumagen and have not experienced a handshake problem
Rashid81's Avatar Rashid81 03:31 PM 10-05-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

I use a darblet with an 80.3 with no issues. I use a lumagen mini in between them, but I've tested without the lumagen and have not experienced a handshake problem

Really? Then should I request a replacement? I am confused. Thanks for the input. Larry was nice enough to offer a replacement, so that can work.
SteveRutledge's Avatar SteveRutledge 03:35 PM 10-05-2012
It sounds like a great tool, I just would like to see one up-close and operating..
Has anyone on this thread used one before..
MCaugusto's Avatar MCaugusto 03:40 PM 10-05-2012
www.hometheaterhifi.com has just published a rather comprehensive review of the Darblet and the author did not seem all that impressed by it.
He mentioned that he noticed some worthwhile improvement when connected to his projector but when connected to his Pioneer Kuro he hardly noticed any improvement, and he surmised it is due to the Kuro's more limited "inherent contrast enhancing abilities".
I wonder if plasma displays do not show as much improvement with the Darblet connected in line as other displays do ?
jkalsaria's Avatar jkalsaria 04:04 PM 10-05-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid81 View Post

Really? Then should I request a replacement? I am confused. Thanks for the input. Larry was nice enough to offer a replacement, so that can work.

IMO, yes, I was also confused when i return mine b/c of random reboot issue and later after two days i ask for replacement before i shipped it back and i'm happy that i got replacement unit which works better than before with zero issue.

Make your decision rather then regret later. wink.gif
ginolee859's Avatar ginolee859 05:59 PM 10-05-2012
Frankly, I'm a bit skeptical. I don't see how the Darblet could really enhance the image that much. The best you can do is to reproduce with perfect fidelity whatever was recorded onto the disc.

Once you start changing the resulting image, even if it might look "better" in some cases, you're actually departing from the fidelity of the original image. And it's hard to imagine any algorithm that always improves on perfect fidelity in a consistent manner.

In terms of having received patents, I think that doesn't mean a whole lot. My understanding is that the US Patent Office grants patents to applicants irrespective of how significant/insignificant it may be. Basically, they assume that if there are patent conflicts the parties involved will hash it out in court.

Many years ago, when Windows was fairly new, there was a product that purported to make your Windows machine run faster and it sold for $50 or so. It actually got numerous good reviews and some customers raved about. Then, I think someone decompiled it and found it didn't do anything ! smile.gif.

Just my two cents..
subavision212's Avatar subavision212 06:09 PM 10-05-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophill72 View Post

Is anyone using the new Oppo bdp 103 with their darblet yet? My 103 comes in Tuesday and am hoping it works with it as it did with the 93 i sold.
Been using it with mine. I get a brief magenta flash when turning on the 103 that lasts a second or two then it's perfect. Haven't tried a different turn on sequence to see if that might eliminate it (103 to pre/pro to Darblett to display is how I am connected). I always turn on my display first then 103 then pre/pro.
gurkey's Avatar gurkey 06:28 PM 10-05-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto View Post

www.hometheaterhifi.com has just published a rather comprehensive review of the Darblet and the author did not seem all that impressed by it.
He mentioned that he noticed some worthwhile improvement when connected to his projector but when connected to his Pioneer Kuro he hardly noticed any improvement, and he surmised it is due to the Kuro's more limited "inherent contrast enhancing abilities".
I wonder if plasma displays do not show as much improvement with the Darblet connected in line as other displays do ?

I read the review and had the impression, that a device like the Darblet is more or less superfluous following his comments and reading between the (printed) lines of the review. He even preferred a different unit for those actions the Darbee was supposed to do and shine..
The real beauty is probably more in the minds of those, who spent the money on it already, than in its real specs and parameters.
jmschnur's Avatar jmschnur 07:07 PM 10-05-2012
I have a kurov151 and see some good effects with the Darblet some of the time but not all. Sports is great. Some he shows yes some not. I have Fios HD.
Andy Lammer's Avatar Andy Lammer 07:09 PM 10-05-2012
It costs nothing to try one out and formulate your own verdict.
You are aware it costs a measely $280 ???
Comparing the Darblet to a Lumagen XE is like comparing a VW GTI to an M3, no wait, an M3 is still too punk - make the comparo to a GT3-RS
Saying we Darbee owners are biased merely because we shelled out some $280 chump-change is rather silly.

- Andy
CeliaD's Avatar CeliaD 07:28 PM 10-05-2012
Will it work with a Tivo HD?
Celia
ginolee859's Avatar ginolee859 07:41 PM 10-05-2012
(my bad). self deleting my post because it was misinformed..
jetnc's Avatar jetnc 07:47 PM 10-05-2012
I'm curious if I would have any handshake issues with this and my Sony NSZ GT-1-1? It looks interesting.....
dannybenz's Avatar dannybenz 08:15 PM 10-05-2012
The reviews in the Google search are for the Amazon site itself, not for the product. This so that people can know whether or not they can trust buying from them. When you search a single product, you get a list of stores who sell it and reviews for each store. If all the reviews were for the product, they wouldn't separate the number of reviews by store. This is obvious and does not seem like false advertiaing at all.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

ginolee859's Avatar ginolee859 08:28 PM 10-05-2012
dannybenz, thanks for correcting me. You're absolutely right. I've essentially deleted my misinformed post..
RBFilms's Avatar RBFilms 08:36 PM 10-05-2012
Agreed regarding fidelity...

"Fidelity" is what matters...in most cases....or at least with good source material....smile.gif
AndyN's Avatar AndyN 09:26 PM 10-05-2012
Yes, always read between lines of a single persons comments and ignore those of actual owners. That's how we should all do things. Makes things more interesting. I stupidly ignored my eyes and the money back guarantee from AVS because I wanted to do what the cool kids do.
AustinJerry's Avatar AustinJerry 10:36 PM 10-05-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN View Post

and ignore those of actual owners.

What do you mean?

AndyN's Avatar AndyN 11:25 PM 10-05-2012
Just being sarcastic after Darbee owners were accused of just imagining the benefits it provides.
Tags: Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor
First ... 134  135  136 137  138  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop